Live 7N Discovery Princess Picture Review April 10, 2022

crusinthrough

5 hours ago, mpk said:

So the "Who's Going / Bookmark" thing on the Medallion app is another useless feature then...

I’m sure someone else will answer as I haven’t used Bookmark, but maybe you get an alert that your event is soon. I do know that it isn’t to make reservations like on RCCL.       

@Buckeye10640you will not want to book any Marina deck cabin. I can see virtually no sky. No sunrise, no sunset no moon no stars. I find the overhang oppressive. Others may call it cozy and like it though. 

I know people complain about the blue windows on the grand class ships but I can’t hardly see out of these clear windows for all the glare. 

there’s some cool art work on the aft upper decks

I much prefer the larger more wide open aft terraces on the grand class ships. This deck 16 aft terrace area is crowded and cramped with poor flow of traffic. The bar is on 16, the smokers including cigar are on deck 17 and then there’s observation deck without loungers on 18. But the smokers stink it all up. At least they did the 2 times I tried to use that area. 

847F1698-41E6-4D82-9313-86A93013D034.jpeg

A0F32125-0FB3-451A-A371-BDE0E1A2811D.jpeg

DF1A06A8-E2E3-479D-904E-7A9A07EB7F8A.jpeg

B3C01FB8-F778-4043-93F1-D0D960BB8ECE.jpeg

7E881A80-7953-499F-93E3-E93FF47B3349.jpeg

943B8C4F-DF0D-474D-82C1-7AE27E1A6B4C.jpeg

0E0A3C88-6AFA-465F-92CE-CB815C3E9E3F.jpeg

F15E3920-D608-4112-85E3-A626B0E5EFA7.jpeg

2579922D-F971-472C-9ACD-528F5966BFA2.jpeg

A6571A4D-DE14-4321-84D3-795F709D2E84.jpeg

B6859B23-66F5-4CC7-83FB-DFF0D773319A.jpeg

72F5A0B1-8F77-4F9D-B9EB-0E4C26CF7C4E.jpeg

37937195-6387-4A46-BE2C-3B6D404A95C2.jpeg

Edited by HaveDogWillTravel
  • Like 2

@HaveDogWillTravel thank you for sharing. We'll be on Discovery a month from now and are really looking forward to it!

One question: can you by chance tell me how deep the aft pool is? I know water distorts things, but in your picture, below, the people in the pool make it look like they can stand, or at least kneel, and still be in the water, which I believe would make it deeper than on the Sky (that would be a good thing, IMHO).

Thanks for any info, and happy cruising. 👍

p.s. - we have dogs (labs)and travel, too. 😉 

6 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

A6571A4D-DE14-4321-84D3-795F709D2E84.jpeg

Edited by 5:00_Somewhere

While I do not go in pools, we are planning on watching sunset from the aft so I’ll see if I can find out the depth of the pool. 

This cabin does not have any of those annoying auto sensor lights like they put on the Ruby, however the lights are pretty awkward. To turn the light on in the closet there is only one switch by the front door and it turns on 3 lights together…….foyer, closet and big light directly over the bed. Husband is not loving that at all. Then me being so smart tries to use the bathroom light to see in the closet by opening the bathroom door. But I can’t get into the closet when the bathroom door is open. I hope the pictures show what I’m talking about. 

image.jpg

the closet is behind the bathroom door when it’s open

image.jpg

Edited by HaveDogWillTravel

12 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

you will not want to book any Marina deck cabin. I can see virtually no sky. No sunrise, no sunset no moon no stars. I find the overhang oppressive. Others may call it cozy and like it though. 

I know that the Dolphin Deck Mini-Suites on the Grand Class ships are controversial and have their detractors, but I absolutely LOVE them for the reasons you discussed above. When I am outdoors I want to be OUTDOORS. Full sky. Open air. Unobstructed views. Stars as far as the eye can see. Do I care that others can look down and see me?  Heck no!  If they have nothing better to do with their day than watch me and my sweetheart sipping a bottle of wine on our open air balcony, that’s on them, not me.  Their jealousy is not my problem!

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

While I do not go in pools, we are planning on watching sunset from the aft so I’ll see if I can find out the depth of the pool. 

This cabin does not have any of those annoying auto sensor lights like they put on the Ruby, however the lights are pretty awkward. To turn the light on in the closet there is only one switch by the front door and it turns on 3 lights together…….foyer, closet and big light directly over the bed. Husband is not loving that at all. Then me being so smart tries to use the bathroom light to see in the closet by opening the bathroom door. But I can’t get into the closet when the bathroom door is open. I hope the pictures show what I’m talking about. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

lolol i had the SAME problem on Enchanted. Why cant there just be a 'closet area'  light ?? I was trying to use my phone flashlight!  I am an early riser, my husband not so much. 

1 hour ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

To turn the light on in the closet there is only one switch by the front door and it turns on 3 lights together…….foyer, closet and big light directly over the bed.

That has been an issue on Royal-class ships I’ve sailed for as long as I can remember & I’ve made that comment in post cruise surveys but they keep doing it that awful way. I don’t recall if that goes back to Royal but it’s been an issue for many years. Why do they continue to make the same mistake on each new ship. I’ve never talked to anyone who likes this annoying lighting situation…maybe they’ll correct it on their next class of ship.

Edited by Astro Flyer

12 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

image.jpg

image.jpg

I agree about the light switch for the closet turning on annoying overhead lights in the cabin area.  There was no way to turn on just the closet light.

We were on Marina deck and had no problems with blue lights from the balcony--we don't leave the curtains open at night thought.  Aparently we weren't under the Skywalk.  Also didn't notice the overhang being a problem.  The balcony is very small, of course.

We did seem to hear more noise in the cabin, especially from above, but not enough to affect us.

33 minutes ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

I agree about the light switch for the closet turning on annoying overhead lights in the cabin area.  There was no way to turn on just the closet light.

We were on Marina deck and had no problems with blue lights from the balcony--we don't leave the curtains open at night thought.  Aparently we weren't under the Skywalk.  Also didn't notice the overhang being a problem.  The balcony is very small, of course.

We did seem to hear more noise in the cabin, especially from above, but not enough to affect us.

We are mid ship below the skywalk and I like to wake up naturally to the sun so don’t care for keeping the curtains drawn. I’m not sure how far forward , aft the lights extend. The noise on this ship, this sailing and in this room has been significant.  I do think this is contingent on the demographics of whose on board. It sounds like kids running up and down those stairs and on the deck above us.  It’s reliably from 9 pm to midnight or so. I find that truncated view of last night’s sunset unsatisfying. 

104D70D3-C8FC-45B0-BAA6-85FB6C683DB2.jpeg

I’m sorry your cabin is so poor.  Especially being a mid-ship mini-suite. I was on Majestic in February in a Marina deck balcony cabin.  I was fairly far aft.  From looking at your picture I think your overhang is larger than mine was.  See picture below.  I worried about it making the balcony seem claustrophobic but I actually liked it.  I liked the shade it provided.  I’m sorry about the noise you’re experiencing too.  I could hear the TV from one of the cabins next to mine but no conversation.  Fortunately they only had it on while they were getting ready to go out in the evening.  I’m sorry about the running feet above.  My husband is very sound sensitive and that bothers him too in hotels.  We have never had the issue on a cruise.  

Thank you for taking the time to post.  I really appreciate your observations.

F1F38825-485E-469D-8519-9A3C2FDC75B4.png

Edited by californiagirl

We were also under the Skywalk in a mini suite.  We heard "running" pounding noises, and loud music.  I did not notice the blue lights as we closed the curtains at night.  I closed the interior 2nd curtains that separate the bed from the couch area also.   We did go up to the Skywalk to see if you could look into our cabin - you can not see anything.  We were on the balcony during the day to come into port or leave, but because the balcony was covered, we did not get much sun.  We did not hear anything from our neighbors, no talking, no tv, not anything.

I would not recommend this area at all.  But we had booked a balcony and went to Guest Services and asked to upgrade, we paid to upgrade to the mini.  We had no idea where we were going to be put, but glad to get a mini.  Would love to be in a  mini every time.

On 4/13/2022 at 12:54 PM, HaveDogWillTravel said:

We have figured out that our bed is below the stairs from skywalk to lido deck. There is nothing to be done about it. I made a rookie mistake. How embarrassing. 

What was your cabin number and deck?

9 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

We are mid ship below the skywalk and I like to wake up naturally to the sun so don’t care for keeping the curtains drawn. I’m not sure how far forward , aft the lights extend. The noise on this ship, this sailing and in this room has been significant.  I do think this is contingent on the demographics of whose on board. It sounds like kids running up and down those stairs and on the deck above us.  It’s reliably from 9 pm to midnight or so. I find that truncated view of last night’s sunset unsatisfying. 

104D70D3-C8FC-45B0-BAA6-85FB6C683DB2.jpeg

We were in 707 Marina, aft.  Right by the elevatiors (because we like to be close to the elevators and picked this cabin.)

I really didn't notice any extra noise from our hallway or the elevator area but running jumping sounds above us quite a lot.  There were a lot of kids on this sailing.

There were some kind of blue lights we could see at night when our curtains were open.  I can't sleep unless it is very dark and don't want to be woken early by the sun!!!  Night owl here; it's good that we are all so different.

On 4/15/2022 at 9:32 PM, HaveDogWillTravel said:

Aft pool is 3 ft 6 inches. Same for the retreat pool. 

Grazie. So it was just an optical illusion from the water that made it look deeper. It's the same depth as on the Sky, which is to be expected, but it just looked as if it might have been different from the picture. I appreciate you checking.

12 hours ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

Here’s our solution. We bring flameless votive candles on all our cruises. At night we place one in the closet and one down on the shelf of the bathroom where the trash bin is. Last person in at night turns off the one in the closet but the one in the bathroom stays on all night. With the bathroom door closed it doesn’t throw off enough light to illuminate the sleeping area, but it shines enough light beneath the crack of the door to remind you to step up over the threshold and avoid jammed toes when going to the bathroom. And it provides enough light once inside the bathroom such that you don’t need to turn on any lights that will wake anyone else. Of course, the sound of the flushing toilet takes care of that!  They also provide a nice glow when taken out to the balcony for drinks at night. You can get battery operated ones and now usb rechargeable ones. 

• Like 2

Last night of the cruise and after sunset on deck 7 promenade ducked into Good Spirits. I’ve earned my shirt on the Ruby so didn’t scan the QR menu on this cruise till tonight. OMG they’ve launched a new menu!  So all you experienced GS folks don’t be a fool like me.  Download the new menu first night and enjoy. 
I’ll come back soon after disembarking to read and answer question and post more information.  

3 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

our solution. We bring flameless votive candles on all our cruises. At night we place one in the closet and one down on the shelf of the bathroom where the trash bin is.

We do this as well! I love the low light and even the gentle ambience flamelesss candle provide,I never leave home without them... Much like bringing heavy clips for the bottom of the shower curtain too.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

Here’s our solution. We bring flameless votive candles on all our cruises. At night we place one in the closet and one down on the shelf of the bathroom where the trash bin is. Last person in at night turns off the one in the closet but the one in the bathroom stays on all night. With the bathroom door closed it doesn’t throw off enough light to illuminate the sleeping area, but it shines enough light beneath the crack of the door to remind you to step up over the threshold and avoid jammed toes when going to the bathroom. And it provides enough light once inside the bathroom such that you don’t need to turn on any lights that will wake anyone else. Of course, the sound of the flushing toilet takes care of that!  They also provide a nice glow when taken out to the balcony for drinks at night. You can get battery operated ones and now usb rechargeable ones. 

Good idea.  But even turning on the closet light during the day, or to dress, turns on a very annoying overhead light in the main area. Not well thought out.

17 hours ago, ihermdar said:

What was your cabin number and deck?

Marina 414

@californiagirlwhile there were some adjustments made to how I normally cruise I hope I haven’t given the impression that we were having a bad cruise because of it. Quite the contrary. I’m just trying to say what the room is like so people can make an informed decision.  Some might like the overhang and blue lights. Some might not be sensitive to the noises. Once the rattling in the wall behind the headboard stopped the rest of the noises were muffled.  

This cabin had very little movement, in fact so little it felt like I was sleeping on land. 

This ship is very stable. Even in the sanctuary all the way forward yesterday during some pretty windy weather with good sized wave action.  It’s the first time DH did not get sea sick heading back north. He usually has to take meds and sleep in the cabin the last day or 2 heading north. Not this time.