Live 7N Discovery Princess Picture Review April 10, 2022

crusinthrough

CC Help Jenn
This post was recognized by CC Help Jenn!

""Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!""

crusinthrough was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

Excited to be on the Discovery Princess 3rd sailing.  I am trying a live review for the first time. Join me on the journey and ask questions.  I’ll try to find the answers to questions.  If you wan to see a picture of something specific let me know.  I don’t like cruise ship production shows and probably won’t see any.  If AJ Jamal is the comedian, I will go to his show.  I’ve seen him on Celebrity, Royal and Princess and think he is really funny. 

Background 

Since restart, I’ve been on Carnival Mardi Gras first sailing, Celebrity Edge, Oasis of the Seas and Symphony of the Seas.  I mention this only because I may add a few comparisons throughout the week.  The Mardi Gras is the first Carnival ship I enjoyed in a while.  The Symphony of the Seas was the worst of all the sailings.  RC did a poor job of communicating this would be a subpar experience with a lack of services due to a COVID outbreak the week before.  Celebrity is always a winner.

I originally booked Celebrity Apex for this week with a friend.  I had a once in life time lift and shift price. Final payment was due in January.  My friend decided to cancel when Omicron hit.  Since I already had the week off from work, I decided to look for a different cruise and stumbled upon this one.  What I overlooked when booking was this is Easter week and the return date is Easter Sunday.  I am expecting more people on this sailing.  With the exception of interior staterooms, everything was sold out.  I’m not sure if this sold out on regular capacity or sold out on Princess’s limited capacity.  Time will tell.

This is my second Princess cruise.  I did the same Mexican Rivera itinerary on the Royal Princess in Dec 2019.  My last cruise before the shutdown.  I usually sail the Caribbean and was surprised how cold the first day and last return day are on this itinerary.  I needed a winter coat in December.  I’m hoping for a bit warmer weather in April.

On this cruise, I booked a mini suite on the Aloha deck and added Premium Plus as a solo.  There was no single supplement.  My mother needed a break and last minute I added her to the reservation.  The additional cost was taxes/port charges and an extra $200.  Unless there is no single supplement, I didn’t think the price would change.  I paid it and moved on.  Last minute airfare was almost half the cost of the cruise. 

• Like 3

Pre Cruise

Princess COVID testing  for vaccinated and booster and took at a home test 72 hours before (Thursday).  I had no symptoms and wore a mask for the most part at my work conference earlier in the week.  I was the only person in the room wearing a mask but I couldn’t chance it.  No matter how many times I taken this test the 15 minute wait gives me anxiety.  All your planning plans and excitement can dissipate in these 15 minutes.  Negative test results and I was ready to go.  I packed an extra home test in case there is an issue with the 72 hour test at the pier.   

Due to recent airline cancellations, I decided to leave two nights prior vs one night.  I had a very early flight on AA, which reinforced I’m not a fan of flights before 10 AM.  In an attempt to be more organized, I used packing cubes I ordered on Amazon for the first time.  Quite a bit can fit in a small bag.  As I realized when my bag weighed in at 58 lbs.  I was in first class going so this wasn’t a problem because bags could be 70lbs but I got the dreaded “Heavy Bag” tag.    I’m not in first class on the return.  I’m in trouble.  It’s hard to lose 8lbs of weight whether it’s body weight or luggage weight.  I’m not sure what I will do.

I had a connecting flight in O’Hare. It’s a nice terminal with food and shopping options.  I almost brought some designer glasses from Sunglasses Hut in the terminal just because I am in vacation mode.  Good judgement kicked in and I decided against the purchase and walked back to my gate only to find the gate change.  I panicked because the new gate was in a different terminal.   I raced to the new terminal and gate and a different flight was boarding.  I was confused.  Then realized my Apple watch did not adjust to the time zone.  

Pre beverage service was offered on one flight.  I thought this was available on all flights.  Lunch was actually quite good.  

I debated between the Sheraton Gateway and a brand new Hyatt Place.  I decided on the Sheraton because of my Marriott status and current promotion.  I requested an upgrade to a double room but got a suite upgrade. Things seemed to be looking up until arriving at LAX.  The shuttle service for the hotel is awful.  While waiting for the Sheraton shuttle, I saw Westin, Embassy Suites, Hyatt and Marriott shuttles pass by multiple times.  When the shuttle finally showed up the AC was broken.  It was a heat advisory in LA and the shuttle is full with no AC.  If you arrive in higher number terminal 6 or 7 be patient.  The shuttle will be full by the time it gets to your terminal.   It could be a one off this weekend, but people have been complaining to the front desk.

The Sheraton is close to the airport and airline crew members stay here.   There are no restaurants within walking distance. The hotel restaurant was good.  I'm a huge fan of French Toast and the hotel restaurant did not disappoint.  

Westfield Culver City Mall is about 10 minutes away.   A few restaurants and last minute shopping at Target, Best Buy, JC Penny, Macy's, Ulta, Sephora. 

The room is clean and probably could use a little updating but all in all a nice stay.

AA Lunch.JPG

LAX.JPG

LAX2.jpg

Sheraton Breakfast.jpg

IMG_7036.jpg

Edited by crusinthrough
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

I’m glad you started this live from. I’ll be boarding as well. According to @abbydancerwho is currently on board and staying on as an in transit, we have 3400 guests and none of the in transits were required to take a Covid test. 

3400 guests seem to be full capacity.  I'm surprised about the COVID testing.  I wonder if this is new.  

Cruise Morning

Always hard to sleep late on cruise morning. 

It’s a cold start this morning and the high isn’t too high.  I plan to take a Lyft to the San Pedro.  Current pricing isn't too bad. I checked Friday night and it was $90.  😐

Check in is at Berth 93.  It's unclear if Princess is still doing check in at Berth 93 and then transport to Berth 50.  Their communication at this has been dismal at best.  

Port Address - Los Angeles World Cruise Center, Berth 93

100 Swinford Street

San Pedro, CA  90731

My boarding time was 10 am.  When I added my mom I had to pick a new time and it's now 11 am.  

My mom doesn’t share my cruise morning enthusiasm and is still sleep. 

IMG_7035.jpg

IMG_7037.PNG

Edited by crusinthrough
  • Like 1

Thanks so much for posting.   It looks like you do a great blog type report.  I will be following along with great interest as we are making our “return” and getting onboard next Sunday for the 7 day coastal.   Enjoy-and thanks again!

45 minutes ago, crusinthrough said:

Quite a bit can fit in a small bag.  As I realized when my bag weighed in at 58 lbs.  I was in first class going so this wasn’t a problem because bags could be 70lbs but I got the dreaded “Heavy Bag” tag.    I’m not in first class on the return.  I’m in trouble.  It’s hard to lose 8lbs of weight whether it’s body weight or luggage weight.  I’m not sure what I will do.

Buy a back pack.😇

• Like 2

When we arrived at the pier 93 parking lot we asked an attendant about monthly parking. He directed us to another exit booth. We parked the car and walked over. BTW at 10 am there was a lot of parking within easy walking distance of the pier.  The attendant at the exit was really helpful and got our card ($25 one time fee) set up and we paid $90 for this month’s parking. The parking cycles on the first of the month. This is a lot cheaper than paying the $20 per day rate. When we come back in September and November  we will just pay the $90 for each month. She gave us a phone number to call to prepay it so we can just use our card to swipe in and swipe out. 

We dropped off the luggage and got to check in for our 10:30 arrival time.  It was pretty crowded and the green lane was beyond the area they had roped off so we were sent to a blue lane. The suite and elite lines were much shorter but on this sailing we did not use our elite status to check in. Just doing some research. It took 40 minutes to get to the counter and 30 seconds to show our docs and be on our way. 

The security line was very short and we zipped right through. The wine desk was set up and we charged our $15 per bottle corkage for the bottles over our allowed 2 to the room. Boarding had just begun for elites and suites.  Here we did use our elite status- that check in line was enough research into the non elite life for now.  By 11:15 we were on board. 

We went up to our mid ship Marina deck mini suite and dropped off our carryons. The room wasn’t ready so we quickly cleared out of the stewards way and headed to the sanctuary.  There was a line of about 8-10 groups already. They had attendants that took orders for drinks and water so that was nice. We got to the sanctuary by 11:30 and we were at the front of the line by 12:15. It took only a few minutes to secure a cabana for 5 of the 6 days we wanted and then it was down to Gigis for lunch. 

Gigis had a line of about 10-15 people.  The walkway was pretty narrow with a lot of people walking through. The folks in line with us (everywhere - check in, sanctuary and here) were very nice.  But waiting for Gigis was waaay too close packed for me with no masking and no distance between us. I’m trusting my n95 and my two boostered immune system to keep me Covid free so I can board the Ruby on the 23rd. 

The staff in Gigis were hustling and doing a great job….cheerful (Magdelina our hostess is just super sweet), the pizza and wine were excellent. 

My impressions overall so far, this ship is gorgeous, the crew wonderful and the food very good. The ap has been touch and go. It doesn’t work more often than it does. But we did order room service drinks to our cabin. I was able to order two 24 K margaritas and 2 glasses of wine and there was no charge (we have the beverage package). They arrived in 20 minutes. The bed is fine…..I thought it just felt like my Princess bed when it was brand new. I slept great in it. 

Of course as always posting to CC is a nightmare. Remember to copy your work in a notepad so you don’t lose it. Clearing my cookies and history under settings seems to work. 

Edited by HaveDogWillTravel
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

But waiting for Gigis was waaay too close packed for me with no masking and no distance between us. I’m trusting my n95 and my two boostered immune system to keep me Covid free so I can board the Ruby on the 23rd. 

The vaccine/boosters won't keep you from getting Covid, they only mitigate any symptoms (maybe) and help to prevent hospitalization (maybe). Keep that mask on TIGHT!

I have a question regarding your monthly parking at the pier.  Did you enter in the self entry, where you get a ticket and then drive over to the exit area?

I only know of one exit area out of the parking - I think it is 3 or 4 lanes where you input your ticket and then your credit card to pay.  Is this the area that you went to get your monthly parking ?

thank you

I got my mom up around 8:00am.  We were out of the room by 9:00am.  There was a 20 minute wait in the restaurant for breakfast.  Lyft prices went up by the time I requested one. I chose the pick up in 11 minutes but it was closer to a 20 minute wait.  

All was well with traffic until the exit for for the World Cruise Ship. There is a light at the end of the off ramp and one lane to turn.  Then there is one lane to make a left turn into the terminal area and a single lane to each berth.

The first ship passed was NCL Encore.  There was a very long line outside but Berth 93  was worst. Princess isn’t to blame it’s the terminal crew.  I don’t think these buildings are designed for these bigger ships.  Perhaps cruise lines  should invest in new terminals like they have in FL.  Outside check in was a disorganized mess.  There is one escalator and one elevator to go up to the next level where you actually check in.  Port personnel were limiting the number of people on the escalator at a time vs just letting it flow.  Your boarding time did not matter.  

Upstairs there were different lines depending on boarding color.  The green lane had the longest line.  There was no one in line for the  blue lane so I went there even though I was green in the app.  Not one questioned was asked.  
Passport, vaccine cards and negative COVID test were checked and verified on iPads.  This took about 10 minutes total for my mom and I. 

8A2AB36B-EE12-486D-B848-44D7E1045E06.png

D88C2412-8052-41F2-8A12-7076DBB998BA.jpeg

DA2D77F0-755F-4A8B-A5FC-85822F291DF0.jpeg

0BC5CFDA-3B35-4A8D-AB12-7F8DD1454851.jpeg

3DCCDF07-C37B-40AB-A789-0CD7CEDD4037.jpeg

Edited by crusinthrough
  • Thanks 1

On 4/10/2022 at 7:37 AM, crusinthrough said:

I'm surprised about the COVID testing.  I wonder if this is new.  

No testing for in-transit passengers is new & was required between the first & second cruises.

People we know tested positive (fully vaxed & wore KN95 masks) and were removed on turnaround day missing their second cruise. I don’t understand why the test was not required for in-transit passengers before your cruise but don’t like that change.

12 minutes ago, crusinthrough said:

I’m going to the Internet help desk today for assistance on logging in from my tablet. It was very busy there yesterday.  I’ll be back.  

Dine My Way & onboard activities didn’t work on the app but the Ocean Navigators quickly restored these functions (DMW worked on cabin TV).

@JF - retired RRT yes sadly I know

@roxievegasyes we took a ticket and the attendant there directed us. We didn’t want to actually exit so we parked and walked over to the exit which is as you describe. 

We had made 5:20 reservations in the aft Ketchikan MDR.  We showed up on time.  The line on the left was for without reservations the one on the right for those with reservations.  There were only a few people ahead of us but the no reservations line had around 20 people in it. There were an adequate number of staff getting folks seated. When they scanned us they saw our reservation and took us to a two top that had almost no room between it and the other “private” table. I asked for a table that was more socially distanced and very quickly without a lot of fuss they did. Our waitress Patricia was excellent. You can just tell those that have been doing this awhile.  So professional and charming. We quickly ordered wine and an entree and let her know we would like a fast service. We were done and leaving by 5:55 pm.  We kept our n95s on until our food arrived.  When we left the with reservations line was long and the no reservation line was very short. 

Edited by HaveDogWillTravel
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, crusinthrough said:

I got my mom up around 8:00am.  We were out of the room by 9:00am.  There was a 20 minute wait in the restaurant for breakfast.  Lyft prices went up by the time I requested one. I chose the pick up in 11 minutes but it was closer to a 20 minute wait.  

All was well with traffic until the exit for for the World Cruise Ship. There is a light at the end of the off ramp and one lane to turn.  Then there is one lane to make a left turn into the terminal area and a single lane to each berth.

The first ship passed was NCL Encore.  There was a very long line outside but Berth 93  was worst. Princess isn’t to blame it’s the terminal crew.  I don’t think these buildings are designed for these bigger ships.  Perhaps cruise lines  should invest in new terminals like they have in FL.  Outside check in was a disorganized mess.  There is one escalator and one elevator to go up to the next level where you actually check in.  Port personnel were limiting the number of people on the escalator at a time vs just letting it flow.  Your boarding time did not matter.  

Upstairs there were different lines depending on boarding color.  The green lane had the longest line.  There was no one in line for the  blue lane so I went there even though I was green in the app.  Not one questioned was asked.  
Passport, vaccine cards and negative COVID test were checked and verified on iPads.  This took about 10 minutes total for my mom and I. 

8A2AB36B-EE12-486D-B848-44D7E1045E06.png

D88C2412-8052-41F2-8A12-7076DBB998BA.jpeg

DA2D77F0-755F-4A8B-A5FC-85822F291DF0.jpeg

0BC5CFDA-3B35-4A8D-AB12-7F8DD1454851.jpeg

3DCCDF07-C37B-40AB-A789-0CD7CEDD4037.jpeg

🤣 I’m in your photo!!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3