Shipboard Libraries

cltnccruisers

Shipboard libraries seem to be disappearing.   Caribbean Princess had a few shelves near the internet cafe.  Sky had nothing.  Anyone know if Enchanted has one?  DW always takes a couple of books to donate and she's really disappointed with this trend.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cltnccruisers said:

Shipboard libraries seem to be disappearing.   Caribbean Princess had a few shelves near the internet cafe.  Sky had nothing.  Anyone know if Enchanted has one?  DW always takes a couple of books to donate and she's really disappointed with this trend.

I know that Regal and Crown have one...

5 minutes ago, cltnccruisers said:

Enchanted and Discovery, nope no library shelf. Books available at guest services if someone leaves some behind.  If your partner wants to donate any books, they go to GS .

With the advent of so many electronic reading devices and apps, it's valuable space that can be used in other ways. 

Edited by reedprincess

6 minutes ago, reedprincess said:

Enchanted and Discovery, nope no library shelf. Books available at guest services if someone leaves some behind.  If your partner wants to donate any books, they go to GS .

With the advent of so many electronic reading devices and apps, it's valuable space that can be used in other ways. 

I use a Kindle myself but DW still likes the smell and feel of a good hardcover.  

Life is somehow diminished, IMHO.

Edited by cltnccruisers
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, riffatsea said:

The Grand had a nice library selection

It really y doesn't take up much space at all for a few shelves of books!

The best we've seen was on Celebrity Reflection.  Well appointed.  Plenty of books.  It bordered the atrium a couple of decks up.  Nothing beats sitting with a good read in a comfy chair with tunes from below in the background.  

• Like 4

Just now, cltnccruisers said:

The best we've seen was on Celebrity Reflection.  Well appointed.  Plenty of books.  It bordered the atrium a couple of decks up.  Nothing beats sitting with a good read in a comfy chair with tunes from below in the background.  

Have you seen the QM2 library.  Now thats a library.   

• Like 1

Several times I've found a few books to read at the ship's library, other times not so much.  I used to bring several books with me and would donate them to the ship's library once I finished them.  Now I primarily use an e-reader.  And I agree with a previous poster's comment regarding the Reflection.  We cruised on that ship twice and both times there was an abundant supply of good books to pick from.

I've been on ships that had libraries before and I liked it. I especially like the daily crosswords and puzzles. It's also a quiet place to do school work (I loved to cruise while I was on spring bread earning two degrees). I use a combination of actual books and e-books. I find it easier to read real books on my balcony and pool side and my reader inside. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cltnccruisers said:

Shipboard libraries seem to be disappearing.    she's really disappointed with this trend.

With Noro, and now covid, areas that encourage sharing are disappearing. With the availability of e-readers and such not such a bad idea. Please enjoy the new order of things.

Jim😎

• Like 1

Not Princess but my Mom is currently on the new Rotterdam ship and it has a full library w/newly released books.

Princess ships w/o a library often have a cart at Guest services but it’s not publicized 

I’m 45 and don’t use E readers.  I stare at a computer screen for 8-10 hours a day and the last thing I want is another screen. I definitely prefer a physical book. 

Edited by Jadn13
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, jeanandjim said:

With Noro, and now covid, areas that encourage sharing are disappearing. With the availability of e-readers and such not such a bad idea. Please enjoy the new order of things.

Jim😎

I'd rather enjoy this.... the Queen Victoria Library, not so "old order"

image.jpeg.c9aab6d1404d8c8242e285070c671ae9.jpeg

• Like 4

Recent stays at some hotels, I noticed the Gideon's Bibles were gone.  I presume they are reducing touch points.  Pre-Covid, I remember reading how the chair hogs would raid the library of a number of books that they can leave on loungers on the Lido.  If the book goes missing, they didn't care as it wasn't their book in the first place.  They'd just bring another book they had already plundered from the library.

2 hours ago, Jadn13 said:

I’m 45 and don’t use E readers.  I stare at a computer screen for 8-10 hours a day and the last thing I want is another screen. I definitely prefer a physical book. 

I work in IT and sort of felt the same way. I have to say I do like Kindle's E-Ink tablets and now rarely bring a book or read a real book. There is no way I would read a book on a color tablet or an iPad. The e-ink technology is very easy on the eyes IMO.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Coral said:

I work in IT and sort of felt the same way. I have to say I do like Kindle's E-Ink tablets and now rarely bring a book or read a real book. There is no way I would read a book on a color tablet or an iPad. The e-ink technology is very easy on the eyes IMO.

I'm hoping to retire soon from a 43 year IT career.  I'm very comfortable with my Kindle and just make sure I download a few books before each cruise.  DW has a Kindle Fire but isn't crazy about it due to glare.  So she brings books and leaves what she finishes.

14 minutes ago, cltnccruisers said:

I'm hoping to retire soon from a 43 year IT career.  I'm very comfortable with my Kindle and just make sure I download a few books before each cruise.  DW has a Kindle Fire but isn't crazy about it due to glare.  So she brings books and leaves what she finishes.

I used to always bring books and leave them also. 

I agree - I download a ton of books from the library before I leave (more than I can possible read), my suitcases weight much less and I do LOVE my Kindle with e-Ink technology. I am one that used to always buy the latest hard back new releases and loved the way they felt. During one really cold winter - I broke down and bought the Kindle and am now a huge advocate for them. Most of the Kindle books I get from the library but every once in awhile I do buy a book from Amazon.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Coral said:

I used to always bring books and leave them also. 

I agree - I download a ton of books from the library before I leave (more than I can possible read), my suitcases weight much less and I do LOVE my Kindle with e-Ink technology. I am one that used to always buy the latest hard back new releases and loved the way they felt. During one really cold winter - I broke down and bought the Kindle and am now a huge advocate for them. Most of the Kindle books I get from the library but every once in awhile I do buy a book from Amazon.

Same here.  I start looking for my cruise reads several months out.  Sometimes a favorite author or genre but I also look for new and will download samples then decide.  DW and GDs do "real" books so we sometimes stop at Barne & Noble or a couple of used bookstores.  While they buy I browse.  I also have the Kindle app on my laptop and use it occasionally.  But She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed (sometimes) says I can't take my laptop cruising anymore.  Probably for the best.

• Like 1

No library on our recent Discovery cruise that I could fine.  I do read on my Kindle, but sometimes I like an actual book, so disappointing to me.  

That said, many libraries that are on ships have terrible selections.  Once, on RCL, they had multiple copies of something called "Mushrooms of the World".  or something close to that.