On Ruby now, but never again

julia

6 minutes ago, bmc alabama said:

But FLL is a dedicated cruise terminal that routinely handles ships.  I think that you will find that on ports that don't routinely handle ships, sometimes things can get dicey. 

Our March 12th departure out of Port Everglades was just as bad.  First time I’ve ever encountered that at PEV, but it was also my first time on Princess so I didn’t know if this was the norm for them.  Now, it seems, it is.

1 hour ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

You are correct.  This thread caught my eye because I had the pleasure of meeting the OP (Julia) IRL.  Honestly, I don't spend a lot of time on the Princess boards because 85% of the posts are about Medallions.  That said, the difficulties with the Ruby and the recent embarkation was eye-opening, and educational.

And FYI, even the Washington State Ferry System has its own problems due to Covid and the resulting staff shortages.  :  )

I hear you about the medallion posts….and not all of us are up on the news regarding every ship on every cruise line. Guess I’ve been ferry watching a bit myself, though the HV ferries aren’t running yet 😉

Edited by vjmatty
  • Like 1

Needless to say we didn't want to Cancel our Ruby cruise, but just couldn't bear going thru what many of you are going thru.😟

FYI-  For those who want to CANCEL?  It's not too late.

Finally able to get thru this Am to Officially cancel our Ruby cruise April 16...Today.

After 2 emails to customerrelations@princess.com and a couple others to a different email?  I got No response, or was emailed they received my email, and I'm in the que.🤨

Cruise with Confidence cancellation, cuz we had No confidence in Ruby safety.

Not having much faith in them, with our cruise approaching in a few days, we definately Didn't want to join all the Unmasked coughers onboard.....

I was determined to Call and get thru to a Person, no matter how long I was on hold!  Luckily only about 40 mins first thing this morning.  But its finally Cancelled.

Our funds on CC will be returned for refund. 

And our FCC's will have a new expiration date of 1/10/23

(We have a few more cruises already booked on Ruby this year.  I am taking them

one at a time, in the hopes Princess comes to their senses asap and reinstates safety protocols.   If Not,  Cancel,  Cancel, Cancel.... )

Edited by CalLuvsCrusingToo
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, CalLuvsCrusingToo said:

Needless to say we didn't want to Cancel our Ruby cruise, but just couldn't bear going thru what many of you are going thru.😟

Finally able to get thru this Am to Officially cancel our Ruby cruise April 16...Today.

After 2 emails to customerrelations@princess.com and a couple others to a different email?  I got No response, or was emailed they received my email, and I'm in the que.🤨

Not having much faith in them, with our cruise approaching in a few days, we definately Didn't want to join all the Unmasked coughers onboard.....

I was determined to Call and get thru to a Person, no matter how long I was on hold!  Luckily only about 40 mins first thing this morning.  But its finally Cancelled.

one at a time, in the hopes Princess comes to their senses asap and reinstates safety protocols.   If Not,  Cancel,  Cancel, Cancel.... )

How did they determine your new expiration date for the FCC’s?

• Like 1

Everyone has to do what they think is best for them.  

I have been reading the various threads on problems at San Francisco port this week.  Doing so because this is my home port, booked in December on the Royal on a 15-day holiday cruise to Hawaii.

What I gather from what happened.  Two ships in port this week in SF.  Seems shoreside staff who handle all ships, not just Princess, may not have been fully staffed or prepared for two ships.   Before we go in December, I will be checking the cruise terminal schedule to see how many ships are in port.   

Some reports are that all there was some delays in passengers getting off the ship or in picking up or claim luggage.  New passengers cannot board till all passengers and luggage cleared.   This problem could happen any time, I guess.

Following this because I am traveling with a family member with mobility issues.  I know from experience no special arrangement available at the port for handicapped passengers until you get in the terminal.  

Once before I waited 5 hours in line, well before Covid when the Grand arrived late from Hawaii because of an injured passenger on board that delayed the ship.  At that time, no aid for folks with mobility issues at all.    Waiting passengers were allowed into the terminal to use the restrooms only over the 5 hours wait for boarding.   That was at Pier 27 the new terminal.    Read no bathrooms available at old terminal Pier 35 this week.  

Given these experiences I will definitely come prepared if we have to wait to board.  Will bring a walker with a seat for my mobility challenged family who can't stand for hours.   Will also come prepared with a hat to wear to stay out of the sun and an umbrella if necessary.   My DH who just turned 90, did stand for 5 hours last time there was a problem, may get him a walker with a seat just in case.  Travel is challenging, has been for some time for a variety of reasons.    All we can do is take actions to be prepared for the unexpected as best we can or stay home.  I elect to plan ahead so I can continue to cruise.  Port problems seem less of an issue than flying these days at our age.  

Happy cruising, doubt there is anything Princess can do to change port issues.  Princess can be honest and up front about what caused problems, so passengers can voice their concerns locally to those responsible.   As a local citizen I would like to be proactive.  

• Like 1

How many of the people in line to embark were at the pier at a time early then when they were scheduled to there?  This kind of issue is why i always enjoy my day where ever we are and board the ship about 2 1/2 jours before sail away.  I always just walk directly on the ship. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

Now I'm totally dreading boarding the Ruby next Saturday and spending 14 days on board a rust bucket.

If you feel so bad, I'll happily except a generous check from the deacon so I can afford to sail only on freshly painted ships.

Honestly, how a few rust stains lessen one's cruise is beyond me.

Then instead of a check Ill send you my prayers

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CalLuvsCrusingToo said:

You could cancel just a few days prior to sailing with Cruise with Confidence?  I thought the rules are 30 days...

I'm glad I canceled my 4/11 Ruby cruise, due to lack of enthusiasm and the $89 solo fare for the Grand going to Vancouver next Tuesday. What's worse for the lack of facilities and organization embarking in SF is that they charge very high port fees. I'm also secretly happy that Princess canceled the August 6 Sapphire, visiting SF and SD and Ensenada, since none of them are particularly interesting for me any more, so I'll probably stick to 5-night Cabo or 7-nt Mexican Riviera trips going forward. 

5 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

(On a personal note, I was surprised to see you describe yourself as in your 60's.  I have to say that you appear so much younger than that!)  :  )

Thank you Mary... you are too kind!  But alas, I will be applying for medicare in a few short months!  Whew!

• Like 1

I keep reading about all these issues in SF and Ruby, but when my wife and I sailed out on February 25th we had zero issues.  

Arrival time was "scheduled" between 11:00-12:00, but we got there at 10:45 with an expectation of having to wait, though we didn't need to.  Dropped off our luggage, walked right in, started the process, which included Covid testing.  We were on board by noon.  Even with the additional step of testing, it was the quickest we've ever boarded a ship on any line from the time we got out of the taxi until we stepped on board. 

My only guess as to why it's taking so long now is staffing.  When I embarked they looked to fully staffed or darn close to it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

Now I'm totally dreading boarding the Ruby next Saturday and spending 14 days on board a rust bucket.

If you feel so bad, I'll happily except a generous check from the deacon so I can afford to sail only on freshly painted ships.

BTW.... your snark is not really appreciated on this thread.

FYI, currently in a minisuite, deck 9, mid ship. The outside walls from Caribe balconies to Dolphin balconies are streaked with rust. It is disgusting. The balcony gutter is all rust.  Our balcony table is stained with rust and soot marks.  Has it "ruined our cruise?" No.  But, it's another reason why we will not sail Princess again, as other lines provide a much better experience.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 4

We sailed on the Enchanted Princess out of Ft Lauderdale on March 30. It’s a Medallion ship and we had no issues boarding. We’re platinum, in our 60’s, and towed our own luggage to our cabin. 5 days into the 10 day trip DH had a cough and headache so we both took a Covid test we’d brought along. Like good doobies we reported ourselves and spent the next 5 days in isolation prison. Fortunately with a balcony, and also fortunately DH had brought work to do. The interesting thing was the 9th floor was filled with isolation passengers and we were put on the 8th floor. You could tell how many ppl were in prison by the little tables outside their doors with dirty dishes stacked. BTW, the food on the Enchanted was superb.  Our 5 days “out” will gain us FCC.  We were scooted off the ship on a crew isolation “Red” elevator kinda like plague victims and bussed back to the departing terminal where we had parked. So glad to be out of that room!!

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, K.T.B. said:

My only guess as to why it's taking so long now is staffing.  When I embarked they looked to fully staffed or darn close to it.

After reading a number of threads, and having disembarked in a timely manner from a recent TA where the next set of embarking passengers had delayed boarding, I am putting it down to Covid cases onboard.  It appears they are delaying the disembarkation of the covid patients until they clear the regular passengers, and then they have some intense cleaning to complete.  I imagine there are other related hoops to jump through with local and federal policies too.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

Same with the Sky 3/12 TA out of Port Everglades.  

We walked right on the Sky Princess March 5.   Arrived about 15 minutes before our scheduled time of 11:30 - noon and she sent us on through.  I wonder what the difference was between the two cruises?

1 minute ago, *Miss G* said:

After reading a number of threads, and having disembarked in a timely manner from a recent TA where the next set of embarking passengers had delayed boarding, I am putting it down to Covid cases onboard.  It appears they are delaying the disembarkation of the covid patients until they clear the regular passengers, and then they have some intense cleaning to complete.  I imagine there are other related hoops to jump through with local and federal policies too.  

Actually, we were taken off the Enchanted very early in the morning.

• Like 1

Just now, Ohhhdear said:

Actually, we were taken off the Enchanted very early in the morning.

Yes, I didn’t drill down into those details.  I did read where some ships are disembarking them before the other passengers.  It would be interesting to hear whether the passengers embarking on the ship after you were delayed or if they sailed on through.  

Julia, if you see this post, please be extra vigilant about COVID on board. In looking at the roll call from the March 27 cruise that just ended, poster after poster is coming back and reporting they returned home (or to a hotel in San Francisco) and tested positive.  There is no doubt the crew has it too (how could they not?), and it will be spreading on your cruise. Since it is such a short cruise, I’m guessing most will not report symptoms and it’s going to be another super spreader cruise. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, swomom said:

Things at Princess seem to have declined rapidly...I do know now, that of the 9 people in my travel group, 6 tested positive for Covid and one is seriously ill in the hospital.

My best guess (and it’s not really a guess at all) is that they are overwhelmed with Covid and of course will never tell us. I have cancelled all future cruises and tossed my black medallion in the garbage. I sincerely hope your cruise improves and you end up having a great time…..take pleasure in the small things🙂

8 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

As I feared, the official numbers are just the visible tip of the iceberg. The cruise industry is in denial. 😷

On Discovery’s inaugural a cruise couple we know met their TA and 2 other couples on the TA’s balcony. By the end of the cruise 5 of the 7 tested positive & is an example about why in only 2 weeks Discovery went from Green to Orange on the CDC chart. And how did Discovery decide to manage Covid cases? They eliminated in-transit testing between the 2nd & 3rd cruises. Obviously they follow the head buried in the sand way of Covid management. 🥴

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, bmc alabama said:

Really?  We had 2 Regal Princess departures out of FLL in 2019 and each time we were on the ship in 15 minutes (and those were Medallion cruises).

I dont think it's possible or relevant to compare now with pre covid. Completely different world.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Julia, if you see this post, please be extra vigilant about COVID on board. In looking at the roll call from the March 27 cruise that just ended, poster after poster is coming back and reporting they returned home (or to a hotel in San Francisco) and tested positive.  There is no doubt the crew has it too (how could they not?), and it will be spreading on your cruise. Since it is such a short cruise, I’m guessing most will not report symptoms and it’s going to be another super spreader cruise. 

Thank you J...  and duly noted.  We are being very cautious.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

Can you please post this coming Saturday evening your experience boarding the Ruby. The Ruby Princess is the only cruise ship scheduled to be in the Port of San Francisco that day.

Thank you in advance.

Edited by brisalta

4 hours ago, ebeluga said:

You could cancel just a few days prior to sailing with Cruise with Confidence?  I thought the rules are 30 days...

They must have purchased Princess insurance or another kind because you are correct:  Cruise with Confidence is up to 30 days

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

I went and read the thread posting that were after their cruise.  WOW! so many positive for covid.

And to think that they had to pay good money to get Covid.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

On Discovery read that deck 9 (Dolphin) was for quarantine cabins but also saw several deck 15 (Marina) cabins with the little tables outside their doors.

F128BF8A-D9FD-4906-8443-56915AF05691.jpeg

There was no fire door to keep one away?  I will conduct a reconnaissance mission next week on board since I need to get away from crowds...lol

Edited by ebeluga