Testing Positive for Covid onboard Silhouette transatlantic

jetblue

Just to clarify, I tested positive yesterday still. The ship will not test me anymore so we will need to see if I'm negative by the time we get to Southampton. Steven gets his follow up test tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

30 minutes ago, jetblue said:

Just to clarify, I tested positive yesterday still. The ship will not test me anymore so we will need to see if I'm negative by the time we get to Southampton. Steven gets his follow up test tomorrow.

I saw others stating that you tested negative and I thought I missed it. Thanks for clarifying. Hopefully antigen tests will be negative for both of you to fly home.

• Like 2

Thanks JetBlue.   I am a frequent cruiser and was scheduled to do a transatlantic on another line in a few weeks.  I have done about a dozen transatlantics.  I have been reading about the others and most of the three major lines are very similar with a few cases turning into a hundred plus upon arrival in Southampton.  The first group was led directly from quarantine to 7 days isolation at a motel near Heathrow….no further contact from ship or company.   I believe UK has modified rules but unclear how and when you obtain a doctor’s letter of recovery.  Since I had seen all the ports several times I decided to cancel with the main problem for me is obtaining a negative test (certain) to make my flight back.  May I suggest anyone at present on ship who is eligible to obtain the doctors letter of recovery. Mike.  PS. Orange means 3% test positive.  The ship must report statistics to US CDC every few days

5 minutes ago, bobby3334 said:

Orange means 3% test positive.

It is actually 0.3% . As far as I can tell, the Silhouette is no longer being tracked by the CDC as it no longer shows in the dashboard.

To JetBlue;

I just got off a “long” conference call with Celebrity and my TA. Main purpose of the call was the alert we received for our May 6th ABC cruise, which appears to have changed to the health protocols. I’ll skip the details, but during the conversation, I also pointed out how many on Cruise Critic members are upset about the CWC and Covid medical support suspension, and highlighted the outrage many customers have over your being quarantined on deck 3, instead of being left in your original suite. In short, the supervisor said she would “escalate” these issues to senior management…..whatever that really means. She did mention they are reviewing the CWC and Covid support suspension. From my point of view, thats a boiler plate answer. “Hey Celebrity..

look at the calendar “
I would like to believe that Celebrity pays a lot of attention to CC, but I am beginning to believe quite the opposite. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, runningtide said:

To JetBlue;

I just got off a “long” conference call with Celebrity and my TA. Main purpose of the call was the alert we received for our May 6th ABC cruise, which appears to have changed to the health protocols. I’ll skip the details, but during the conversation, I also pointed out how many on Cruise Critic members are upset about the CWC and Covid medical support suspension, and highlighted the outrage many customers have over your being quarantined on deck 3, instead of being left in your original suite. In short, the supervisor said she would “escalate” these issues to senior management…..whatever that really means. She did mention they are reviewing the CWC and Covid support suspension. From my point of view, thats a boiler plate answer. “Hey Celebrity..

look at the calendar “
I would like to believe that Celebrity pays a lot of attention to CC, but I am beginning to believe quite the opposite. 

Thanks for the mention, if nothing else, I hope my posting about my experience only helps improve the process if this happens to someone else in the future. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, jetblue said:

Thanks for the mention, if nothing else, I hope my posting about my experience only helps improve the process if this happens to someone else in the future. 

I actually believe your outstanding conduct will be noticed by Celebrity. This thread is one of the most active I have ever seen. All my best wishes to the both of you. You both should be very proud of your grace and endurance thru this very difficult time.

All the very best……See you on the next tack !

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, runningtide said:

i think we’d all like to believe that, but I’m not aware of any recent evidence to support it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, AlaskainJuly said:

We just boarded the Millennium for a 15 Panama Canal transit. Out of curiosity, I asked the guest services attendant, Nikki, where Covid positive passengers are isolated: inside cabins. So @jetblue it could have been worse! I’m keeping my mask on. 

Oh that is terrible!!! I don't think I'll be doing any cruises longer than 7 days for a while if this is the new norm.

• Like 5

Alright, so today we are docked in Lisbon, Portugal. Somewhere else we've never been and will need to find a way back to one day. We arrived about 5 hours late due to the medical emergency yesterday which Jim covered in his thread.

We were given permission to send laundry out so our clothes are finally being washed today, not that we were using much clothes in quarantine as you can imagine, but always nice to go home with a clean suitcase. Also learned something new today, apparently you can gift any onboard credit you have to another passenger on the ship. So make sure you make friends with someone if you don't know anyone else onboard so they can at least enjoy your onboard credit if you can't. 

Almost dinner time onboard, tonight I think we will go for quarantine bathrobe chic on the dress code!

PXL_20220418_131915816.MP.jpg

PXL_20220418_131844684.MP.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 13

13 minutes ago, jetblue said:

Also learned something new today, apparently you can gift any onboard credit you have to another passenger on the ship. So make sure you make friends with someone if you don't know anyone else onboard so they can at least enjoy your onboard credit if you can't. 

Gosh, I would hope they might give it back or turn part of it in to FCC for someone who had been quarantined for a significant portion of the crossing!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, jetblue said:

Have you thought about asking your primary physician in the US if they can issue the certificate of recovery via a telehealth visit? This is my back up plan if I test positive on my upcoming cruise. 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, jetblue said:

Almost dinner time onboard, tonight I think we will go for quarantine bathrobe chic on the dress code!

OMG....you're going all out....the heavy duty chenille robe is tres chic on the 3rd deck...you'll fit right in!  :classic_wink:

Edited by Oceangoer2
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, travlr21 said:

It is actually 0.3% . As far as I can tell, the Silhouette is no longer being tracked by the CDC as it no longer shows in the dashboard.

You are correct about %.   However while it is not on the dashboard the cdc still, if they agreed to the program as most did, they continue tracking if left from US port or plan to return.   I don’t know when it goes off dashboard but sure their are many oranges that have turned red?   Especially those headed to a cdc don’t travel country 

Quarantine cruisine time! This one was a big meh. I've had much better but honestly not even that hungry with the limited exercise we are getting so most was leftover.

Green leaf chicken saladPXL_20220418_183903728.thumb.jpg.4018ac64d725a1e56859614f6e81425c.jpg

Poached Fluke

PXL_20220418_184740344.thumb.jpg.5656bfa685f787c1a4525d3288afc2e4.jpg

Warm apple tart tatin

PXL_20220418_185905460.thumb.jpg.197d6e698f068188daf3d54dc306a578.jpg

@jetblue If your return travel is delayed by you having to isolate longer in the UK before being able to gain reentry to the US make sure to keep your receipts for expenses and escalate with Celebrity management when you get home. 

While I guess one interpretation of "land based quarantine" would be that the UK requires it. 

Logic would dictate that if a 10 day isolation is required before you can continue normal travel (Celebrity's onboard policy and CDC policy) that land based isolation would be covered by the policy for the remaining days after disembarkation.  It certainly has been for sailings here in the US unless you had private transportation directly to you home.

Here is a link to their policy document

https://www.celebritycruises.com/content/dam/celebrity/pdf/cel-covid-19-cancellations-and-refunds-policy.pdf

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jetblue said:

Quarantine cruisine time! This one was a big meh. I've had much better but honestly not even that hungry with the limited exercise we are getting so most was leftover.

Green leaf chicken saladPXL_20220418_183903728.thumb.jpg.4018ac64d725a1e56859614f6e81425c.jpg

Poached Fluke

PXL_20220418_184740344.thumb.jpg.5656bfa685f787c1a4525d3288afc2e4.jpg

Warm apple tart tatin

PXL_20220418_185905460.thumb.jpg.197d6e698f068188daf3d54dc306a578.jpg

this looks awful...no wonder you had no appetite.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wrk2cruise said:

@jetblue If your return travel is delayed by you having to isolate longer in the UK before being able to gain reentry to the US make sure to keep your receipts for expenses and escalate with Celebrity management when you get home. 

While I guess one interpretation of "land based quarantine" would be that the UK requires it. 

Logic would dictate that if a 10 day isolation is required before you can continue normal travel (Celebrity's onboard policy and CDC policy) that land based isolation would be covered by the policy for the remaining days after disembarkation.  It certainly has been for sailings here in the US unless you had private transportation directly to you home.

Here is a link to their policy document

https://www.celebritycruises.com/content/dam/celebrity/pdf/cel-covid-19-cancellations-and-refunds-policy.pdf

I think the key here is “quarantine.” Those awaiting a negative test are not required to quarantine in the UK, correct?  In that case, they are free to move about without concern for isolation or quarantine. 

It is not a question of ship vs. land-based. It is not required at all once they have disembarked. At that point, they are awaiting clearance for a US requirement.

Travel insurance would consider it a trip delay because they were prevented from traveling by a government regulation.

Either way, it would be interesting to see how it is resolved.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Ommadawn said:

No. I hope and pray that this is the end of the mandate. However, at the very least, if it is not the end of it, I hope that the vacating holds long enough so that I don't have to fly in June from Texas to London with a mask on the entire way. 🙂

Yep. Deffo better to catch Covid than have to wear a mask for a few hours. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I've followed the cruise ship color status chart for months now, starting before we cruised in December 2021. I have never seen a ship rated "red". The requirements state that the medical facilities have to be overwhelmed, variants of concern have to be identified, there must be sustained transmission and cases have to be over .3%.  As long as they are able to deal with the cases on board without fatalities and transfer the quarantined passengers off the ship at the end of the cruise, most ships will probably continue sailing with yellow and orange ratings as they expand capacity.  Many reports right now state that cruise bookings are rebounding quickly so apparently lots of passengers don't worry about this. In my opinion, this is the "new normal" of cruising for the time being,  even with protocols requiring vaccination and negative tests to board.

IMO, with the new relaxed mask rules on land and sea, getting Covid and quarantining on board is a real risk to be factored into one's decision to sail. Personally, I want to avoid Covid, no matter how "mild" new variants are considered to be. Google "Long Covid". It's not worth it to me and I love cruising.

This is a great thread for seeing inside a cruise right now. Thank you, David and Steven, for your humor and positivity. Sending you all the best for the rest of your trip and safe travels home!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Whitechapelgirl62 said:

You can get Covid tests at Heathrow so can get fit to fly docs. I would have thought if you bought flight with Celebrity would they not assist ?

That's great. Where do I sign up for these tests at Heathrow?