Testing Positive for Covid onboard Silhouette transatlantic

jetblue

3 hours ago, jetblue said:

Day 5 update and I wish I had better news. Unfortunately by covid test came back as positive despite having no more symptoms. This means I need to remain in isolation on deck 3 until we reach Southampton on Thursday.

I'm currently unsure as to next steps as I know the Celebrity website says they will cover on land hotels, food, and flights home but haven't been given information yet on how to take them up on that offer, more info soon hopefully.

I’m so sorry to hear this. At least you are feeling better. How is Steven? 

Hopefully you’ll get more info soon on what happens in Southampton. I hope that whole process goes smoothly. 

Oh yuck- so sorry to hear your positivity. This was my nightmare about this cruise and why we cancelled. You still have a few days before they put you off the ship. At least hotel rooms are larger than most cabins- especially the ones you're confined to. I have images of you all being put into hazmat suits and being transported to a quarantine hotel with lights flashing and horns blowing- "Unclean Unclean". Okay, I suppose I shouldn't be joking about this but sometimes a little levity sneaks out.

Don't remember what your plans were after this cruise- will you be able to pick up on any of it? I know that for us, the cruise was intended primarily to transport us comfortably to Europe. Once you are both well you have it all right there- can you make some plans for what then?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jetblue said:

Also want to add that someone on the ship tracked down the Captain and the Hotel Director to ask about the room situation for us. The Hotel Director said the CDC requires them to use the rooms only on deck 3 because if they were to put us in balcony rooms on deck 6, the opening and closing of doors causes pressurization issues and possibly cross contaminating other people... I have a lot of questions about that (especially since we know they are doing it on other ships) but seems like there is no good to come out of reasoning with them.

I would challenge the Hotel Director. I am attaching the CDC Cruise Ship guidance and though I didn't read them entire long set of procedures, nowhere did I find any mention of quarantine location on the ship. Indeed, how does the CDC even know which decks are available since the differ from ship to ship. 

I might also point out that this guidance is for ships operating in US waters. Obviously CDC doesn't have authority for international's cruises. 

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/management/technical-instructions-for-cruise-ships.html

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jetblue said:

Day 5 update and I wish I had better news. Unfortunately by covid test came back as positive despite having no more symptoms. This means I need to remain in isolation on deck 3 until we reach Southampton on Thursday.

I'm currently unsure as to next steps as I know the Celebrity website says they will cover on land hotels, food, and flights home but haven't been given information yet on how to take them up on that offer, more info soon hopefully.

My grandsons had covid (not too ill but sick enough) and were told they could still show a 'positive' test for up to 90 days!  If they were not symptomatic after 5 days they could go about their usual schedule.  Maybe ask the medical team why this should be any different for you re isolation?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, champagnecruiser said:

Not sure if this will help but found this on CDC site.

image.thumb.jpeg.b2303fc8e3a3679a61ebb9308d091f0c.jpeg

“Should consider” - not required, but it is acknowledged as something that would be beneficial.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 5waldos said:

Oh yuck- so sorry to hear your positivity. This was my nightmare about this cruise and why we cancelled. You still have a few days before they put you off the ship. At least hotel rooms are larger than most cabins- especially the ones you're confined to. I have images of you all being put into hazmat suits and being transported to a quarantine hotel with lights flashing and horns blowing- "Unclean Unclean". Okay, I suppose I shouldn't be joking about this but sometimes a little levity sneaks out.

Don't remember what your plans were after this cruise- will you be able to pick up on any of it? I know that for us, the cruise was intended primarily to transport us comfortably to Europe. Once you are both well you have it all right there- can you make some plans for what then?

We were planning on doing some touristy stuff and then fly home to the US. At this point though we both just want to go home however we cannot without a negative test. The doctor onboard confirmed we won't need to quarantine in the UK once we arrive so not sure if that changes the coverage offered by Celebrity's Healthy at Sea. More info still needed about next steps.

6 minutes ago, jetblue said:

We were planning on doing some touristy stuff and then fly home to the US. At this point though we both just want to go home however we cannot without a negative test. The doctor onboard confirmed we won't need to quarantine in the UK once we arrive so not sure if that changes the coverage offered by Celebrity's Healthy at Sea. More info still needed about next steps.

I believe you can also travel home with Proof of recovery but not sure what that entails.  Also on the ship if they are using PCR tests those are more likely to continue to show positive.  A antigen test may show negative.

13 minutes ago, jetblue said:

You've spent time in England before? Lovely at this time of year. Hope you can relax and spend some time enjoying yourselves- sounds like you both deserve it.  

18 minutes ago, jetblue said:

You are still covered for any onboard COVID-related expenses such as medical or FCC/refund for days in quarantine. If you do not require quarantine shoreside, there is nothing to reimburse.

You can travel home with your positive test and a letter from the doctor stating you have recovered. I expect that he will provide the necessary documentation, but ask about it the next time you see him just to be sure.

Edited by Babr
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, micruiser2002 said:

I believe you can also travel home with Proof of recovery but not sure what that entails.  Also on the ship if they are using PCR tests those are more likely to continue to show positive.  A antigen test may show negative.

My retest was antigen. Need negative antigen test results two days in a row to get sprung from jail. No point in doing a PCR test so soon.

Unfortunately I was still positive.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Babr said:

You can travel home with your positive test and a letter from the doctor stating you have recovered. I expect that he will provide the necessary documentation, but ask about it the next time you see him just to be sure.

Correct. I’m sure @jetblue has already researched this, but here’s the language from the CDC’s website:

What You Need to Know
  • If you plan to travel internationally, you will need to get a COVID-19 viral test (regardless of vaccination status or citizenship) no more than 1 day before you travel by air into the United States. You must show your negative result to the airline before you board your flight.
  • If you recently recovered from COVID-19, you may instead travel with documentation of recovery from COVID-19 (i.e., your positive COVID-19 viral test result on a sample taken no more than 90 days before the flight’s departure from a foreign country and a letter from a licensed healthcare provider or a public health official stating that you were cleared to travel).

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jetblue, I greatly appreciate your posting about your "adventure" with testing positive.  That has made me decide to cancel my 52-nights on the Edge next year.  I could not handle being yanked out of a suite and put in jail.  Not to mention the possibility of being put off the ship in some very distant foreign country and then having to figure out how to get home.

I admire the way you are handling this.  Best wishes to you and your husband.  I hope you are able to enjoy a few relaxing days in London before returning home.

• Like 11

4 hours ago, delondin said:

One of the cruise lines, can’t remember which one, was allowing quarantined passengers to smoke on their balcony 

Princess is allowing it. You're very lucky if they allow you food in a timely manner, but they do allow smoking on the balcony for isolated passengers.

There are some absolute horror stories (especially on the Ruby) from the past few weeks, including a woman with cognitive impairment not understanding why she was locked up, as well as not being fed, and her husband fighting to get her care. There was a passenger with a diabetic spouse in isolation not being allowed food, and multiple stories of people not being able to get hold of room service for hours on end, then the order taking hours more to be delivered. One guy was sent to an isolation cabin with a diarrhea-filled toilet. The isolation cabins had refrigerators removed and incoming ohone calls cut off. They weren't being checked on by Medical, either.  Other folks have reported being treated well or very well, so it can clearly be done; they just chose not to do it for everyone. 

Obviously, timely food and beverage, medical monitoring, and fresh air would be best for all in isolation. If I could only choose two of the three, I'd choose the room service and medical monitoring.

The grass is not always greener on the other lawn deck. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, MamaFej said:

There are some absolute horror stories (especially on the Ruby) from the past few weeks, including a woman with cognitive impairment not understanding why she was locked up, as well as not being fed, and her husband fighting to get her care. There was a passenger with a diabetic spouse in isolation not being allowed food, and multiple stories of people not being able to get hold of room service for hours on end, then the order taking hours more to be delivered. One guy was sent to an isolation cabin with a diarrhea-filled toilet. The isolation cabins had refrigerators removed and incoming ohone calls cut off. They weren't being checked on by Medical, either

Surely those people will be able to take legal action. Not feeding a person is tantamount to murder isn't it depraved indifference murder if the person dies with that sort of thing in America? You know the intentional neglect?

And your posting has put me off coming forward if I ever got the signs. No way I would go through that. I would just leave the ship at the next port.

Edited by ace2542

The cruise lines want customers so they need to do a better job of managing this so people aren’t afraid to sail. Balcony cabins for anyone who is isolated. Designated staff to insure basics like food deliveries are met and passengers are checked up on several times a day. It’s now a part of their business plan whether they like it or not. And why are they not following the CDC guidelines?  After 5 days, if no fever for 24 hours and improving symptoms you should be released from isolation as long as you mask. Positive testing will last after one is done being contagious. So keeping people in isolation while waiting for a negative test goes against what the CDC guidelines are. They specifically say don’t bother to retest for 90 days. Celebrity is by far my favorite mass cruise line. But they need to step up and do better. It’s the world we live in now and it’s not going away. My husband and I just recovered from Covid so we are traveling with a certificate of Recovery next month. If that wasn’t the case, I would not feel good about flying to Europe and all the risks and expenses involved. 

Edited by LINGBER
  • Like 2

Thanks everyone for all the advice. I will ask the doctor about the certificate of recovery in the morning and hope for the best. Almost dinner time here on the Silhouette. Maybe I should put my formals on tonight...

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Jetblue, I greatly appreciate your posting about your "adventure" with testing positive.  That has made me decide to cancel my 52-nights on the Edge next year.  I could not handle being yanked out of a suite and put in jail.  Not to mention the possibility of being put off the ship in some very distant foreign country and then having to figure out how to get home.

I admire the way you are handling this.  Best wishes to you and your husband.  I hope you are able to enjoy a few relaxing days in London before returning home.

Are you sure?  That Edge itinerary is great and won't be repeated soon.  A lot can happen between now and next fall, perhaps you can wait and see how Celebrity is handling Covid next year.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, jetblue said:

Thanks everyone for all the advice. I will ask the doctor about the certificate of recovery in the morning and hope for the best. Almost dinner time here on the Silhouette. Maybe I should put my formals on tonight...

No.  Be a rebel and wear a T-shirt and shorts for dinner.

• Haha 10

9 minutes ago, jetblue said:

You set such a fine example for the rest of us.  Thank you for sharing your experience!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, jetblue said:

I didn't like to say before but when I had this new variant in Feb, I tested every day from day 5 because I wanted to go to a friend's leaving do. I had two strong red lines until day 9 when I gave up testing, too late for the party by then. 

So sorry to hear your still showing positive,   hope things work out for you in Southampton 

Quarantine cruisine time! All from Luminae and all very good minus the cardboard of course. We decided our livers had enough of a break and popped open a bottle of Perrier Jouet.

Salmon SashimiPXL_20220417_233646949.thumb.jpg.b982779577d652e19b754b887ab58d2e.jpg

Homemade Fettuccine with shrimp and calamari

PXL_20220417_234542087.thumb.jpg.89208edc1d23082eee1ea7950379f564.jpg

Chocolate caramel custard

PXL_20220418_000000624.thumb.jpg.905eb02bae0ba0d7270ce9cef7dac1c2.jpg

• Like 7

4 hours ago, jetblue said:

There's no legal need now to self isolate in UK  now though its recommended for at least five days 

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/self-isolation-and-treatment/when-to-self-isolate-and-what-to-do/

Edited by sgmn