Testing Positive for Covid onboard Silhouette transatlantic

jetblue

Our 5th and final day in Isolation onboard Celebrity Silhouette, home tomorrow morning, thanks God. It has at times been very difficult for us both, mentally, tied to this deck 3 ocean view cabin, not being given access to outside space or anywhere to exercise. Yes we have been watered and fed and had daily temperature checks, but otherwise left to our own devices. I would not wish this on anyone, so, if you feel you could not endure such an ordeal, if you catch COVID whilst on board, please don’t book or travel on a celebrity cruises in the near future. I don’t know how many cases of COVID, positively identified there are now on board, as they are being a little too secretive, but would suggest it is at least 30 perhaps more. 

We were given yesterday a FCC certificate for the days we have been detained and when I questioned this and suggested that it should be a refund as stated in their literature, I was advised that this was not possible on board, as they didn’t have the facilities, and would have to argue this out with customer services on my return.

Best wishes to all the other guests in the same boat, so to speak, as us, on board at present and a safe trip home to all those who are not from our parts, take care

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, Thameside said:

Our 5th and final day in Isolation onboard Celebrity Silhouette, home tomorrow morning, thanks God. It has at times been very difficult for us both, mentally, tied to this deck 3 ocean view cabin, not being given access to outside space or anywhere to exercise. Yes we have been watered and fed and had daily temperature checks, but otherwise left to our own devices. I would not wish this on anyone, so, if you feel you could not endure such an ordeal, if you catch COVID whilst on board, please don’t book or travel on a celebrity cruises in the near future. I don’t know how many cases of COVID, positively identified there are now on board, as they are being a little too secretive, but would suggest it is at least 30 perhaps more. 

We were given yesterday a FCC certificate for the days we have been detained and when I questioned this and suggested that it should be a refund as stated in their literature, I was advised that this was not possible on board, as they didn’t have the facilities, and would have to argue this out with customer services on my return.

Best wishes to all the other guests in the same boat, so to speak, as us, on board at present and a safe trip home to all those who are not from our parts, take care

Not long now, you’re nearly home. 

Thank you for sharing your experience, it will help others make a more informed decision on whether to cruise right now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thameside said:

Perhaps with hindsight you should have not come forward, stayed in the cabin had room service and got off in lisbon and flown home? Or the azores port and flown home.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Perhaps with hindsight you should have not come forward, stayed in the cabin had room service and got off in lisbon and flown home? Or the azores port and flown home.

That’s not worthy of a comment, best you keep those ideas for yourself in the future

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, jaapie said:

I assume quarantined people are not actually locked in cabins as that would be a potential safety issue. There have probably been incidences when a quarantined person leaves the cabin to grab some fresh air or a drink/food or have a smoke, so what are the consequences for such an 'escapee'?

I think it would be tough to do.   They don't get room keys and the security cameras are monitoring the hallways. 

32 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

I have no doubt there are those not "coming forward" with relatively mild symptoms easily covered up which contributes to the spread where the guard has dropped re precautions, even more so with the new even more easily transmissible Omicron XE variant.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, BigAl94 said:

I have no doubt there are those not "coming forward" with relatively mild symptoms easily covered up which contributes to the spread where the guard has dropped re precautions, even more so with the new even more easily transmissible Omicron XE variant.

I don't know far they where from Libson or the Azores when thameside starting having the syptoms. If it was me a day out of lisbon I would have just got off the ship with my stuff and flown home and told them i will leave the ship instead of being in the cabin. I don't think they can stop you from getting off the ship if you do want to stay.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

I don't know far they where from Libson or the Azores when thameside starting having the syptoms. If it was me a day out of lisbon I would have just got off the ship with my stuff and flown home and told them i will leave the ship instead of being in the cabin. I don't think they can stop you from getting off the ship if you do want to stay.

I would be encourage to do that as well. But a few things:

1) The authorities in the port. Will Celebrity alert them to the fact you have covid?

2) You may be feeling terrible and not able go manage getting to a hotel/flight.

3) Would you lose the prorate refund on cost of cruise?

It would be useful if Celebrity could issue a statement or policy saying that the objective is to house those quarantined in balcony cabins but this may not be possible depending on the number of cases.

It is known that there are covid cases on board - Capt George may not be eager to share that information but he’s mentioned it enough that surely most, if not all, passengers are aware. There are social distancing signs in various places. Anyone who hasn’t been living under a rock for the last 2 years must know it’s an issue.

Yet the herding instinct appears to outweigh anything else with some people. The ship is sailing at 50% capacity. There’s plenty of space. But yet again I’ve just had to move seats because someone decided that out of all the dozens of empty seats in the Martini Bar area they had to sit within a few feet of me. It’s happened time and again this cruise, in the Sky Lounge and in the theatre, now here too.

I don’t understand it during normal times but certainly not under current circumstances.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, farawayatsea said:

I would be encourage to do that as well. But a few things:

1) The authorities in the port. Will Celebrity alert them to the fact you have covid?

2) You may be feeling terrible and not able go manage getting to a hotel/flight.

3) Would you lose the prorate refund on cost of cruise?

It would be useful if Celebrity could issue a statement or policy saying that the objective is to house those quarantined in balcony cabins but this may not be possible depending on the number of cases.

1: I never said I had it I said I suspect I have it. Without being tested no way to confirm. And besides country will scrap need for negative test/allow people in with it before cruise lines do

2: A fair point

3: That refund won't last forever eventually for people who get Covid it will just be tough luck and you get nothing back

Edited by ace2542

1 hour ago, BigAl94 said:

Never going to happen, but I too would be interested to know how many people with minor symptoms, sore throat, cough etc are not coming forward.  Or indeed how many get home and test positive (so have potentially been infectious for last few days and didn't even know).

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

But you could potentially pass it on to airport staff, taxi drivers , restaurant staff and customers and fellow passengers on board the aircraft. Would you really be prepared to do that?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, sgmn said:

Or indeed how many get home and test positive (so have potentially been infectious for last few days and didn't even know).

There's definitely been a number of reports of this on the princess boards - most of the people who are testing positive onboard are either on a longer cruise or B2B.

57 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Test to get into US????

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jetblue said:

Moving on to quarantine cruisine. Evening chic night upstairs, but downstairs tonight, slipper chic has finally arrived! Yes, I did take my Retreat slippers with me and yes I did wear them for tonight's event. And surprise! It was lobster night again! 2 nights in one cruise, can't beat it!

Yellow Beet Risotto

Butter poached lobster

Chocolate bar

I love your Chic Slippers -- I'[m sure by the fashionable embroidery they must be Gucci.

You should have put on bow ties and go al la Chippendale.

The Risotto looks terrible (but I hate beets and would look as bad to me even properly plated).

They should have sent you the chocolates from the cart to go along with them and a glass of port top off the evening.    

Cheers for now  (Remember that Captain that always closed his morning announcement with that).

The Lobster looked pretty good.   Iain had it as well and said it was perfect seasoned and prepared.

I had the same Desert and enjoyed it but could only eat half of it

• Like 2

Just now, BigAl94 said:

I would definitely self report out of respect to my fellow passengers.   I brought along 6 self tests in addition to the 4 proctored tests.   I also have a thermometer gun (like they use on the ship) as well as an oximeter finger monitor).   As well as LOTS of N95 masks.    I planned to use if I showed even the slightest symptoms. 

Maybe too much but I also bring along everything from bandages, anti-diarrhea meds,  cold and flu TheraFlu (Day and Night) and pain killers.   When away as long as we are you never know what you may need and unavailable while at sea.

• Like 20

32 minutes ago, Tigrou said:

It is known that there are covid cases on board - Capt George may not be eager to share that information but he’s mentioned it enough that surely most, if not all, passengers are aware. There are social distancing signs in various places. Anyone who hasn’t been living under a rock for the last 2 years must know it’s an issue.

Yet the herding instinct appears to outweigh anything else with some people. The ship is sailing at 50% capacity. There’s plenty of space. But yet again I’ve just had to move seats because someone decided that out of all the dozens of empty seats in the Martini Bar area they had to sit within a few feet of me. It’s happened time and again this cruise, in the Sky Lounge and in the theatre, now here too.

I don’t understand it during normal times but certainly not under current circumstances.

We are meticulous about washing hands and social distancing and it’s ok for the Captain to keep telling everybody to wash their hands, but this is not sufficient if Celebrity’s own cleaning regime is not up to scratch. Let me tell you that not once did I see anybody wiping down tables in the Oceanview Cafe after clearing plates and other crockery with ordinary cloths, let alone anti-bacterial solution. The same goes for anywhere else that people keep touching. We have lived with COVID for a couple of years now and been fortunate enough not to contract it, even living a fairly normal life, by taking precautions. We have cruised three times since 2020, the last one being Azamara in January for 12 nights, no reports of COVID on that cruise, but the cleaning regime difference was very noticeable,  As you say, this is a half empty ship, God help them if they start to fill them up

47 minutes ago, sgmn said:

But you could potentially pass it on to airport staff, taxi drivers , restaurant staff and customers and fellow passengers on board the aircraft. Would you really be prepared to do that?

But in UK that is what is being done now and more countries now as we move forward. I would wear the mask on the flight. I would also have topped myself by now had I been in the cabin like these guys . I really would have ended my own life rather than be locked in for 2 weeks. It is almost as bad as Black Dolphin the Russian jail. It is not bad the American Supermax at least in Supermax your TV works.

Edited by ace2542

We are meticulous about washing hands and social distancing and it’s ok for the Captain to keep telling everybody to wash their hands, but this is not sufficient if Celebrity’s own cleaning regime is not up to scratch. Let me tell you that not once did I see anybody wiping down tables in the Oceanview Cafe after clearing plates and other crockery with ordinary cloths, let alone anti-bacterial solution. The same goes for anywhere else that people keep touching. We have lived with COVID for a couple of years now and been fortunate enough not to contract it, even living a fairly normal life, by taking precautions. We have cruised three times since 2020, the last one being Azamara in January for 12 nights, no reports of COVID on that cruise, but the cleaning regime difference was very noticeable,  As you say, this is a half empty ship, God help them if they start to fill them up

• Like 1

Perhaps possible in other places but besides the ethical and moral issues involved in jumping ship with a known (or strongly suspected) case of CoVid- you could not disembark in Lisbon. It was not allowed- and disembarking entails more than simply getting off the ship with your baggage. Immigration, customs etc all need to be in place. We had looked into this as a possibility because it would have been more convenient to get around from Lisbon for the rest of our (since cancelled) trip. 

44 minutes ago, 5waldos said:

Perhaps possible in other places but besides the ethical and moral issues involved in jumping ship with a known (or strongly suspected) case of CoVid- you could not disembark in Lisbon. It was not allowed- and disembarking entails more than simply getting off the ship with your baggage. Immigration, customs etc all need to be in place. We had looked into this as a possibility because it would have been more convenient to get around from Lisbon for the rest of our (since cancelled) trip. 

If you  are from an  EU country (which I am),  with an EU passport,   you should be able to  disembark in Portugal, Spain or France without difficulty.  Not sure what the position is for UK citizens post Brexit.