What’s the best Florida port?

Chiliburn

We are planning a trip to Florida and I’m just trying to work out which is the best port after a long haul flight from Australia.

We would like to spend a few nights before the cruise and get over the get lag. 
Somewhere safe,touristy,and scenic and most important,easy to navigate. We will be getting a car after the first cruise and head off  to explore more ports to do more cruises.
Any suggestions for the best stress free port?

More information on Fort Lauderdale and Port Everglades (it is our home port and we live just north of Fort Lauderdale):

Fort Lauderdale official tourism website:  www.sunny.org

Port Everglades official website:  www.porteverglades.net

Plenty to see and do in the Fort Lauderdale area. If you decide to cruise from Port Everglades make sure you visit between November and March when many ships spend there winter months sailing from there. Princess, Royal Caribbean, Holland America and Celebrity base many of there ships there during this time.

Port Everglades is my #1 Florida port.  Port Canaveral is #2, but, in some ways, is better than Port Everglades.  Have not sailed from Jacksonville or Tampa.  Miami is in its own unique category of "I'd rather not sail from there again if I am driving to the Port".  

Thank you 

We are Royal Carribean nuts but are looking for a easy first port just to get over the killer flight.

Sounds like Fort Lauderdale is the go and after a cruise we will take the kids to WDW and another cruise from port Canaveral 

• Like 1

FLL and MIA are close to the airport.  Very close. Our preference is for FLL. 

Seems to me that Canaveral is not as convenient given the distance from Orlando.  We have driven it but never cruised from Canaveral.

You can always rent a car and zip up to Orlando for a few days if that is high on the bucket list.

Edited by iancal
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

How about a mid range hotel in Fort Lauderdale?

I have been looking at Hyatt place just of 17th ,a supermarket and a food in a short walk.

Any other suggestions?

What does "midrange" mean to you? Hotel rates vary considerably from peak to low season. There re dozens of threads here on hotels.

56 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

What does "midrange" mean to you? Hotel rates vary considerably from peak to low season. There re dozens of threads here on hotels.

$200-$300 U.S.

That seems like mid range price to me for that area. A higher price would OK for something good.

10 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

I have been looking at Hyatt place just of 17th ,a supermarket and a food in a short walk.

Any other suggestions?

The Hyatt Place is a good bet in the 17th St area, as are the Renaissance, Hilton Marina and Embassy Suites. The ES has a lot of fans, but many also claim it's running a bit old and tired. The 17th St area prices vary significantly during the year, with peak season prices through the roof. If we are sailing in the off season, 17th St is it, but if we are sailing during a high season, we usually move to Dania Beach nearby, or even Plantation. Prices in these two areas don't rise to the levels of the 17th St strip.

• Like 1

OP - if you are planning a long trip with kids I presume you are traveling during your summer/our winter.  If so, that is peak season and, as others have noted, the prices increase dramatically.  There are also certain times during the peak season that they increase even more (holidays, winter vacation week - next year that will be the week of February 20th, mid - March college spring breaks, etc.).  Do you have your dates yet?  

Edited by capriccio

5 minutes ago, capriccio said:

OP - if you are planning a long trip with kids I presume you are traveling during your summer/our winter.  If so, that is peak season and, as others have noted, the prices increase dramatically.  There are also certain times during the peak season that they increase even more (holidays, winter vacation week - next year that will be the week of February 20th, mid - March college spring breaks, etc.).  Do you have your dates yet?  

About November but still planning.

10 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

About November but still planning.

The 4th Thursday in November (the 24th) is Thanksgiving.  Hotels and cruises will be pricier that entire week.

Specifically to Fort Lauderdale and should you be considering late October the most expensive hotels of the year are during the week of the Fort Lauderdale International Boat Show and they will sell out.  This year that is October 26 - 30.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

Any other suggestions?

Other nearby hotels (Extended Stay America, Holiday Inn Express) on 17th Street are also good, and IMO are closer to more eateries and stores, and also to the drawbridge where you can walk to get a view of the port.

Do your possible flights tend towards choosing Fort Lauderdale airport over Miami?  (I do agree that both the airport, and the lodging, are nicer at FL, but Miami seems to bring in more overseas flights.)

5 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Other nearby hotels (Extended Stay America, Holiday Inn Express) on 17th Street are also good, and IMO are closer to more eateries and stores, and also to the drawbridge where you can walk to get a view of the port.

Do your possible flights tend towards choosing Fort Lauderdale airport over Miami?  (I do agree that both the airport, and the lodging, are nicer at FL, but Miami seems to bring in more overseas flights.)

We will be transiting through Houston so it doesn’t make any difference.

We will probably return from Orlando after a few nights at WDW..

No one seems to like Miami much, how come  . I suppose it’s more of a city.

On 4/17/2022 at 4:34 PM, Chiliburn said:

I do not dislike Miami.  I dislike the Port of Miami.  I dislike the idiotic drivers on I-95 in Miami.  If I had not driven to the Port for my cruise, my opinion about the Port might be different.  But, having driven on I-95 in Miami a few years before, my opinion about some who drive on I-95 in Miami would not change.  

All the cruise ports in Florida have good connections to their respective airports with "expressway" type roads. With Miami and Fort Lauderdale, you don't need a car because you can take a taxi to the port pretty easily.

Fort Lauderdale Airport and the 17th Street Causeway hotels are very close. I personally like the Holiday Inn Express there which is very walkable to the nearby Publix supermarket. They might even have a free shuttle to the port for your cruise.

• Thanks 1

On 4/17/2022 at 4:34 PM, Chiliburn said:

We will be transiting through Houston so it doesn’t make any difference.

We will probably return from Orlando after a few nights at WDW..

We fly in from NE US. We much prefer Miami over PC. Since we don't drive to the ports, Miami is closer with plenty of taxi and Ubers and imho many more dining options - we always go for Cuban! Just sailed from PC couple weeks ago. Its nearly an hour from MCO.... Disliked the distance... And unless you want to tour the space center,  not a lot to do.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2022 at 5:41 PM, Chiliburn said:

Sounds like Fort Lauderdale is the go

Fort Lauderdale is a great choice, lots of lovely touristy stuff, shops, restaurants and bars.

We usually stay at the Nobleton hotel (beach) or Holiday Inn Express (Harbordale).

Stay somewhere close to the water taxi stops (really fun day out) and don’t miss a trip out to the Everglades. 

• Like 1

Hi, We have sailed from Port Everglades and loved Fort Lauderdale. We too had a long flight from UK though. We flew into Miami and hired a car and drove to Fort Lauderdale where we stayed in Lago Mar Beach Resort for 4 nights before our cruise. We had the kids with us and this was end of October early November. Had a great time. Personally find Miami just more "built up" but that's just my opinion. We have also sailed from Tampa, however, we had just driven there from staying in Orlando so didn't really experience the town but quite an easy port to use with easy car hire drop off at a hotel and then a shuttle bus to the port. We are sailing from Port Canaveral in September (can't wait!) so will see what that brings. Safe travels whatever you decide to do. 

• Like 1