COVID Testing - Walgreens Rapid NAAT Test or CVS Rapid-result test (antigen)

I  know there are tons of posts on pre cruise COVID testing requirments but I am a bit confused after talking to RCCL.

Is a Rapid NAAT Test (from Walgreens) acceptable for boarding if 2 days before sailing?  The rep at RCCL which was hard to understand said it was not and it has to be a Rapid Antigen Test.

CVS offers a  Rapid-result test (antigen) test, does that suffice or do I need to get a Lab Test (PCR or NAAT) that is taken in a lab and resuts are in 1-2 days?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the repetitive nature of this post

• Like 1

Yes, NAAT from Walgreens is accepted. From the RCCL website...

Accepted Types of Tests and Results

• There are two common types of diagnostic COVID-19 tests 
    • A molecular test, also called a PCR test or NAAT test – our testing requirements call this a “PCR test”
    • An antigen test, also called a rapid antigen test – our testing requirements call this an “antigen test"
  • Thanks 1

That's what I thought when I read it but the RCCL rep said a Rapid NAAT Test was not valid.    Maybe because its Rapid and not Lab is why she said that and if it was Lab NAAT test than it would be valid.

16 minutes ago, bogs1009 said:

That's what I thought when I read it but the RCCL rep said a Rapid NAAT Test was not valid.    Maybe because its Rapid and not Lab is why she said that and if it was Lab NAAT test than it would be valid.

Guessing why a rep gave you incorrect info is an exercise in futility.

Some are just better than others, whether you're making dinner plans or asking about covid testing rules.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Guessing why a rep gave you incorrect info is an exercise in futility.

Some are just better than others, whether you're making dinner plans or asking about covid testing rules.

Google told me that the NAAT test is the premiere PCR test

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

Google told me that the NAAT test is the premiere PCR test

LOL…did you believe google?

IDNow, the rapid NAAT from Walgreens mentioned by the OP, has a lower sensitivity than rtPCR tests and higher sensitivity than an antigen test.  So, it is certainly not a bad test, nor would I say it is the finest test out there.  I used it to board a few months ago.

2 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

LOL…did you believe google?

IDNow, the rapid NAAT from Walgreens mentioned by the OP, has a lower sensitivity than rtPCR tests and higher sensitivity than an antigen test.  So, it is certainly not a bad test, nor would I say it is the finest test out there.  I used it to board a few months ago.

Hey, it was on the internets

• Haha 2

Under 5 year old needs a PCR (3 days out). I thought these took 2-3 days for results. Some urgent cares in my home town are saying they have a lab and can get results faster (same day) for RT PCR ??? Is this acceptable ? I'm so confused about the PCR...NAAT ???? Help please !!

8 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Under 5 year old needs a PCR (3 days out). I thought these took 2-3 days for results. Some urgent cares in my home town are saying they have a lab and can get results faster (same day) for RT PCR ??? Is this acceptable ? I'm so confused about the PCR...NAAT ???? Help please !!

A NAAT is a rapid PCR and is acceptable for unvaccinated kids.

1B23FC68-7ACF-467E-A037-0C8622949A5A.png

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, GTO-Girl said:

A NAAT is a rapid PCR and is acceptable for unvaccinated kids.

1B23FC68-7ACF-467E-A037-0C8622949A5A.png

So RT PCR will be acceptable. I was just a bit surprised when some are offering the results same day...that's my concern. Just always assumed 2-3 days for PCR results...so is this new ??

Different Walgreens have different tests, some offer the rapid antigen (usually get results in an hour & the PCR(2-3 days) , others offer the ID NOW which is an NAAT which is rapid PCR (results in 24 hrs or less) All are accepted if fully vaccinated. Check with Cruise Line website info if they are all accepted  if not fully vaccinated and how many days it must be completed prior to cruise as this is continually changing.

• There are two common types of diagnostic COVID-19 tests and we accept either one: 
    • A molecular test, also called a PCR test or NAAT test
    • An antigen test, also called a rapid antigen test
  • Thanks 1

On 4/17/2022 at 1:00 AM, Grambler said:

Different Walgreens have different tests, some offer the rapid antigen (usually get results in an hour & the PCR(2-3 days) , others offer the ID NOW which is an NAAT which is rapid PCR (results in 24 hrs or less)

Yes, different Walgreens offer different tests.  For some reason, no Walgreens in Maryland offer the Rapid NAAT test.

But they offer a lab PCR test.  Results within 48 hours.

They offer a RAPID NAAT (PCR) test. Results in 1 - 2 hours.

And they offer a Rapid Antigen test.  Results in 1 - 2 hours.

• 2 weeks later...

We used the Walgreens NAAT test for our unvaccinated kids last week. It was accepted. I did have the kids take a separate PCR test just in case, but I specifically wanted to try the NAAT test first to see if it we had any issues with it being accepted.  Although I will admit that the agent at the cruise terminal in Port Everglades did question it.  She asked me if the NAAT test was accepted as a PCR test, I just said yes and she let us right through. 

On 4/17/2022 at 12:00 AM, Grambler said:

Different Walgreens have different tests, some offer the rapid antigen (usually get results in an hour & the PCR(2-3 days) , others offer the ID NOW which is an NAAT which is rapid PCR (results in 24 hrs or less) All are accepted if fully vaccinated. Check with Cruise Line website info if they are all accepted  if not fully vaccinated and how many days it must be completed prior to cruise as this is continually changing.

• There are two common types of diagnostic COVID-19 tests and we accept either one: 
    • A molecular test, also called a PCR test or NAAT test
    • An antigen test, also called a rapid antigen test

I did not realize that different Walgreens had different tests, but it makes sense based on what they are able to order & receive.  

I sure am hoping we can find whatever test is acceptable in mid-June in Orlando.

You make an appointment online, use the drive thru. Self swab (nasal) and results for NAAT are emailed to you within 2 hours. The NAAT test is molecular (like PCR) but with rapid results (like the antigen test).