Advice for a new cruise line

Just now, Flatbush Flyer said:

No one is lambasting mass market lines. Just the opposite - pointing out that they know enough about what a significant number of their customers want that they’ve tried to duplicate SOME of the premium/luxury experience. And thus, entities like the Haven give cruisers a BASIC introduction to what is available on NCL’s sister lines - Oceania and Regent.

Yes, that point has been made ad nauseam so much and on so many threads I've lost count.  Can't you give it a rest.  Can you not discuss something else -- please.   

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ldubs said:

Yes, that point has been made ad nauseam so much and on so many threads I've lost count.  Can't you give it a rest.  Can you not discuss something else -- please.   

You seem to forget that not everyone perusing Cruise Critic is a “regular” like you. Many folks may be first timers looking for accurate information, informed commentary and reasonable recommendations (though they may not agree with yours). You yourself have repeated some things over and over (and over) again. And that may be very fortunate for some newbie. 

1 minute ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

You seem to forget that not everyone perusing Cruise Critic is a “regular” like you. Many folks may be first timers looking for accurate information, informed commentary and reasonable recommendations (though they may not agree with yours). You yourself have repeated some things over and over (and over) again. And that may be very fortunate for some newbie. 

Baloney.   You guys purposely use belittling words and go on well beyond whatever valid contribution you might be able to make.   

• Like 2

8 hours ago, baelor said:

You can choose to eat at a restaurant that is mediocre because of cost, convenience, or something else.  You can also like YC or Haven for reasons other than the food.  Granted, I have not stayed in either of those places, but I would be surprised if the food is as good as what you can get on land.

I can then surprise you and say that the food in the Yacht Club overall is better than in most restaurants, even the better ones, that I have visited on land.

Food is one important thing when cruising but it's not everything. I'm sure that I can find better food on land, if I try very hard and pay very much for it but cruising is much more than that.

On 4/19/2022 at 2:15 AM, englishteacher702 said:

My husband and I have cruised 6 times on Carnival.  We enjoy it, but were thinking we should try a new line.  We are early 40's no kids. We like to chill, listen to music, do activities, and comedy, not into the Vegas type shows (we are from Vegas).  Obviously dining on other lines will be more upscale from Carnival, but not looking for anything too boujie.  I really think RCL is not for us since it seems to have so many activities for kids, and that's what we are trying to avoid. I would love to travel Virgin to be completely kid free, but their itineraries for the Caribbean aren't the best. 

Recommendations?  

Since you enjoy Carnival you know that you like the big ships. Maybe you will love a small ship but you really can't be sure.

The best recommendation must be a large ship with "ship within a ship". MSC is much better value than NCL. If you book MSCs Yacht Club you get a chance to try both. If you stay within the Yacht Club you know that you won't miss to be on a big ship and can choose a small ship for your next cruise. If you prefer to do things outside the Yacht Club you know that a small ship is not for you.

14 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Want a “Broadway” show? Book a cruise that starts/ends in NYC and add a few land days to enjoy the real thing. 

14 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

The problem with that is that the overwhelming majority of cruises which start/end in NYC (about an easy hour away from my home) are on Carnival, Royal Caribbean, or NCL (and, I suppose I should add, the Staten Island ferry).

Got a email from MSc yesterday they are doing Bermuda cruises out of New York City , definitely thinking of booking that this is for summer of 2023. That is my perfect vacation a couple of days in New York City then a cruise in MSc yacht club followed by a couple of more days in New York City. Did that about a decade ago on Holland America.

It's pretty irritating when people try to pass ridiculous lines like staying in New York if you want a Broadway show.  That tired line can be used on just about every single aspect of cruising.  Some people just can't accept that their opinion is not shared by all.  

2 hours ago, Aquahound said:

It's pretty irritating when people try to pass ridiculous lines like staying in New York if you want a Broadway show.  That tired line can be used on just about every single aspect of cruising.  Some people just can't accept that their opinion is not shared by all.  

I agree that it's better to see a Broadway show in New York than on a cruiseship but the shows are only a small part of the cruiseexperience so why not see it onboard? The biggest problem is that some people seem afraid of crowds, even for a stort time, so how will they be able to see a show in New York? There is crowds everywhere there.

22 hours ago, Aquahound said:

My personal belief is than no cruise line can surpass the same experience on land. I travel to NYC 2-3 times a year just to see Broadway shows.  I also do weekend trips where I can eat in any restaurant of a top chef.  

I get the "real thing" on land. Whatever is on a ship is fine and all but I don't need to burden a cruise line with trying to compare. I  won't be impressed.

Edited by cruizergal70
  • Like 1

On 4/22/2022 at 8:13 PM, navybankerteacher said:

The problem with that is that the overwhelming majority of cruises which start/end in NYC (about an easy hour away from my home) are on Carnival, Royal Caribbean, or NCL (and, I suppose I should add, the Staten Island ferry).

You forgot the Circle Line sightseeing cruises.

DON

• Like 1

22 hours ago, sailing canary said:

What does 'boujie' mean? Is this an American expression ? I've never seen/heard it before.

French from bourgeois.  Kind of a slang for expensive/upscale or people pretending to be high class/rich.  Can apply to people, places, attitudes or things.   "She/he has boujie tastes".  

Edited by ldubs

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

French from bourgeois.  Kind of a slang for expensive/upscale or people pretending to be high class/rich.  Can apply to people, places, attitudes or things.   "She/he has boujie tastes".  

Is that a Californiaism?  I've not heard the term, but it does seem to fill a vacuum in today's language --as long it is not just a needless synonym for "upscale".

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

Is that a Californiaism?  I've not heard the term, but it does seem to fill a vacuum in today's language --as long it is not just a needless synonym for "upscale".

Not sure the origin, but it is somewhat commonly used by people in their 30s and younger.  It implies pretension, which "upscale" does not.

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

"Is that a Californiaism? "

Not that I am aware.  First place I remember hearing term was someone in Louisiana.  

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

Is that a Californiaism?  

Actually- far from it.

Bouji is a popular term in hip-hop culture. And, the elements of that culture had its elements rooted in the Bronx NY in the 1970s

BTW, anyone who knows anything about California recognizes that there are way too many very diverse sociocultural, geographic, ethnic and economic distinctions criss-crossing the State to justify some meaningless “ism” descriptor. 

1 hour ago, baelor said:

Not sure the origin, but it is somewhat commonly used by people in their 30s and younger.  It implies pretension, which "upscale" does not.

Whatever it is, I think you hit it right when you say it is used by the younger folk.   Haha

7 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

BTW, anyone who knows anything about California recognizes that there are way too many very diverse sociocultural, geographic, ethnic and economic distinctions criss-crossing the State to justify some meaningless “ism” descriptor. 

This statement is pure Californiaism.

• Haha 1

On 4/23/2022 at 6:34 PM, sailing canary said:

What does 'boujie' mean? Is this an American expression ? I've never seen/heard it before.

Its Natty in the styrofoam squeak-squeakin in the truck bed all the way home. 😂