COVID Testing

We are needing to schedule our COVID test for next Friday. I started at CVS and they came back and said I did not qualify for the free test but I could pay $139.

Is that the average price.  Walgreens I cannot schedule until tomorrow so wondering what their price is

Or you could just do a home test. We have used eMed (recommended by RCCL) for all of our cruises on Royal and NCL. Easy. Fast. Take a test at the kitchen table while sipping coffee. And our insurance paid for the entire cost of the home test. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Simply answer Yes to question 1 on the CVS questions and the test will be Free 

the question asks if you had difficulty maintaining social distancing…..heck even going to a movie theater covers that at a yes 

0D81A7C9-8DCB-4B09-8A6C-55755FC76283.jpeg

• Like 1

I got the Binax self test from the gov't for free but was told that I can't use these with eMed. I don't understand why. Now I have to buy the Binax Home test (not self test) if i want to use eMed. Makes no sense.

When we first started back to cruising, testing requirements were 3 days before sailing.  Then last fall the testing was changed to 2 days.  The 3 days testing offered more flexibility.  This is a much easier requirement to meet, especially for Sunday & Monday departures as well as for those who are flying in.  It would be nice to go back to 3 days testing as weekend testing is hard to come by in my neighborhood.

8 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Abbott, the maker of the test, probably wanted to force folks to shell out for the proctored version ($) even though they are the same.

you have to pay for the proctor and having staff available 24x7 to watch you take the test, then maintain medical records of the testing. 

The self test kits come with multiple tests in a box. The proctored tests are individually packaged and the serial number of the box and safety seals are all part certifying the test results. 

6 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

The proctored tests are individually packaged and the serial number of the box and safety seals are all part certifying the test results. 

Right, but apparently you can use another proctoring service with the OTC version and functionally get the same result.

• Thanks 1

CVS in our area seems to be offering fewer and fewer rapid tests. Up until March, we used them but lately its been Walgreens. Just scheduled our tests for next Friday (4/29) for our 5/1 Oasis sailing. We also used them last month in FL. 

mac_tlc

3 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

CVS in our area seems to be offering fewer and fewer rapid tests. Up until March, we used them but lately its been Walgreens. Just scheduled our tests for next Friday (4/29) for our 5/1 Oasis sailing. We also used them last month in FL. 

mac_tlc

I scheduled with Walgreens. CVS within a 25 mile radius did not offer rapid tests. I would be stressing like crazy waiting for results 

• Like 1

We've used the em3d tests 2x. Most recently Thursday am for our Saturday boarding of Jewel.  Was still in my bathrobe!   Have 4 with us to use for our flight home from Amsterdam.  Very easy. Worth the cost.

9 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

We've used the em3d tests 2x. Most recently Thursday am for our Saturday boarding of Jewel.  Was still in my bathrobe!   Have 4 with us to use for our flight home from Amsterdam.  Very easy. Worth the cost.

In my opinion, they are not worth the cost. Covid test kits are widely available at no cost, they all have FDA EUA and work the same way. I understand paying for monitoring, since that is what is required, but it should be available and have the ability to be done as cheaply as possible. I am happy to see that there is finally some competition, which is lowering the cost of monitoring. 

3 minutes ago, Coralc said:

In my opinion, they are not worth the cost. Covid test kits are widely available at no cost, they all have FDA EUA and work the same way. I understand paying for monitoring, since that is what is required, but it should be available and have the ability to be done as cheaply as possible. I am happy to see that there is finally some competition, which is lowering the cost of monitoring. 

Paying for convenience.  Not always easy to get free drive up tests or the timing doesn't work.  Walgreens doesn’t take appointments until a week before and has limited tines, etc. Nit at cvs near us. Pricey in EU countries to test for flight back to US.  we do what works for us.

8 hours ago, gcelkk said:

When we first started back to cruising, testing requirements were 3 days before sailing.  Then last fall the testing was changed to 2 days.  The 3 days testing offered more flexibility.  This is a much easier requirement to meet, especially for Sunday & Monday departures as well as for those who are flying in.  It would be nice to go back to 3 days testing as weekend testing is hard to come by in my neighborhood.

Italy is now one day prior. Our cruise the day before is a Sunday . Hoping they may change to two days before we travel in June

• Like 1

On 4/22/2022 at 8:30 PM, Biker19 said:

Right, but apparently you can use another proctoring service with the OTC version and functionally get the same result.

NOW you can do that.

At least until someone finds a way to doctor the test to show negative no matter what.

On 4/22/2022 at 9:37 PM, Coralc said:

eMed tests are $25 each.  I-Health proctoring in $20, plus the kit (if you did not get one free).

Not a huge savings.

On 4/22/2022 at 8:39 PM, mac_tlc said:

mac_tlc

What is strange is there are NO Rapid Tests in Maryland.  CVS and Walgreens only do the lab test (1 - 2 days).  Unless we drive over the state line to PA or DE or VA. 

On 4/21/2022 at 8:04 PM, LaCal said:

Simply answer Yes to question 1 on the CVS questions and the test will be Free 

the question asks if you had difficulty maintaining social distancing…..heck even going to a movie theater covers that at a yes 

0D81A7C9-8DCB-4B09-8A6C-55755FC76283.jpeg

We did the same thing.

We did a Rapid NAAT test at Walgreens and were going to cancel the CVS lab tests, but was Positive. So did the lab tests just in case.  This was on Monday, to fly to Barbados.

Then did the Rapid test again on Friday, hoping for a negative, but was still positive.

None of them cost anything and no insurance info was collected.

On 4/23/2022 at 9:13 AM, sgmn said:

Italy is now one day prior. Our cruise the day before is a Sunday . Hoping they may change to two days before we travel in June

Hi,

You don’t need a test to enter Italy from the UK, Except of course if you are not vaccinated.

i am trying to find a test centre in Venice on a Saturday before we board on Sunday in Ravenna.

41 minutes ago, Jules of The Seas said:

Hi,

You don’t need a test to enter Italy from the UK, Except of course if you are not vaccinated.

i am trying to find a test centre in Venice on a Saturday before we board on Sunday in Ravenna.

Thank you, yes I know but our original flight we wouldn't of got to Civitavecchia till early afternoon on a Sunday and most pharmacies seem to close at 1pm. Leaving us with the choice of testing on arrival at Rome Airport, testing at a pharmacy the  morning of the cruise or doing a supervised video one from the Hotel. By moving our flight from early morning to late afternoon we can get the test in the UK before we go and if we are positive at least we are still in our home country