Is CVS Out of the Rapid Covid Test Business

DwayneG

I've been watching to schedule our tests for a couple of weeks now.  Typically I could see dates for two weeks out.  But lately there were no appointments available after yesterday; later dates said NO APPOINTMENTS AVAILABLE.  Now today all the locations near us say that nothing is available.

image.png.fb7e6b62715504b155c28897c9fa1731.png

PCR tests with results in 1-2 days are available now, with lots more locations than they had before, but no rapid tests.  We were able to schedule with an urgent care for the date we needed, so we're fine.  .  But if you're counting on CVS for a rapid test please double check for your area, you may need to look for something else.

Plenty available at CVS by us.

Perhaps you did not give the answers to the screening questions that allow your to move follow.

Answer yes to the first two and make sure you state that you have insurance to pay for the test.

Why not just get the at-home tests from eMed or Optum (same company, different purchase options available).  SOOO much easier than fretting about CVS or Walgreens having appointments available...

• Like 2

Got the same, they will do NAAT tests, with a one to two day turn around. Took me a few hours to find what I need..... I am making an appointment with Walgreens, as they do a rapid NAAT test, turn around 1-2 hours.  Walgreens told me there is no cost, however, I am sure they'll be asking for my insurance information.

• Like 2

From the Sail Safe site:

Universal testing & Pre-Embarkation Protocols

Unless otherwise stipulated by local regulations (Cruise Travel Requirements by Country) that would supersede our policy, at time of check-in, all guests will be required to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 antigen or NAAT test (I.e. PCR) result administered by a verified third party or via medically supervised home test within two days prior to embarkation date for cruises originating in a U.S. or Canadian port and within three days prior for voyages departing from a non-U.S. port. Guests must bring digital or printed proof of negative test results.

Special rule for un-vaccinated children under 12:

All unvaccinated guests under the age of 12 will be required to bring proof of a negative NAAT test (i.e. PCR) result administered by a verified third party within three days prior to embarkation date. 

1 hour ago, WindinmySails said:

Got the same, they will do NAAT tests, with a one to two day turn around. Took me a few hours to find what I need..... I am making an appointment with Walgreens, as they do a rapid NAAT test, turn around 1-2 hours.  Walgreens told me there is no cost, however, I am sure they'll be asking for my insurance information.

Thank you for the info on Walgreens doing the rapid NAAT. Just booked mine and moms for there next Friday! Don’t like the idea of a PCR, but if we can avoid having to pay for testing, we’ll do it. Plus just a regular PCR by me only has slots until 10:30…cutting it a little too close since Canada states 72 hours before boarding…our check in time is 9:30. Emed and inspire are about the same price as getting a rapid in Canada. And of course my flight leaves 23 minutes after the testing center at my airport opens. 

9 minutes ago, DwayneG said:

From the Sail Safe site:

Universal testing & Pre-Embarkation Protocols

Unless otherwise stipulated by local regulations (Cruise Travel Requirements by Country) that would supersede our policy, at time of check-in, all guests will be required to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 antigen or NAAT test (I.e. PCR) result administered by a verified third party or via medically supervised home test within two days prior to embarkation date for cruises originating in a U.S. or Canadian port and within three days prior for voyages departing from a non-U.S. port. Guests must bring digital or printed proof of negative test results.

Special rule for un-vaccinated children under 12:

All unvaccinated guests under the age of 12 will be required to bring proof of a negative NAAT test (i.e. PCR) result administered by a verified third party within three days prior to embarkation date. 

NCL states that you have to have either PCR or rapid done within 48hrs, but Canada states 72hrs for a PCR. NCL does state unless stipulated by local regulations that would supersede our policy. 

Leaving out of Vancouver, is it 48hrs or 72hrs for a PCR test?D91606F2-12BD-45FB-9916-3ED72B082677.thumb.jpeg.567bf1bf8f280812773ae672761e0036.jpeg

25 minutes ago, LMKakaThing2 said:

NCL states that you have to have either PCR or rapid done within 48hrs, but Canada states 72hrs for a PCR. NCL does state unless stipulated by local regulations that would supersede our policy. 

Leaving out of Vancouver, is it 48hrs or 72hrs for a PCR test?D91606F2-12BD-45FB-9916-3ED72B082677.thumb.jpeg.567bf1bf8f280812773ae672761e0036.jpeg

Yes, I have the same confusion, so I am going with 48 hours.....but I can as I'll still be in Denver.  I would maybe reach out to NCL chat?  

IMHO, it's poorly worded to claim that CVS is out of the rapid covid test business ... CVS just isn't doing as many as, say, compared to 3 or 4, 5 weeks ago.  These tests aren't truly free to them with the kits, processing & personnel tasked with the "supervision" or coaching to collect the specimen, etc. (yes, free to "us") and the Feds funding are beginning to dry up, apparently.  

I look up CVS locations near us (NYC) this morning and apparently, not offered in 4 out of 5 boroughs (counties) except in Manhattan (the "city" to most visitors & out-of-towners since, Brooklyn & Queens aren't to "them") at just a few select sites - and, it has a disclaimer that the test is not valid for travel.  Perhaps, I do not know for sure, that CVS is switching to using a different line of test kits manufactured, and it is not approved for as a proctored test, thus - simplifying data collection & posting of results as before.  PCR testing are being offered, except for the turnaround time, as it will be risky & not practical for most cruisers (and, likely if not definitely, a problem for those Bermuda bound) should the results get delayed at their lab partners.  

Thus, our Plan B for next month is to do the iHealth proctoring tests at home, since we have the sealed, unopened kit & would only need to schedule our time & pay for the services to monitor it and generated reports.  

Testing appointments at CVS, at Walgreens and at NYC's free mobile testing sites (walk-up, no appointments needed) - all of them - only released & schedule appointment slots for 7 to 10 days, up to 2 weeks at most and not beyond ... with the public sentiments acting & believing that the Omicron wave or surge is behind us already, there is no urgency to maintain a high level of screening, testing & other schemes ... experts remained divided on whther a 2nd. booster is needed, depending on - etc. etc.  At the moment, we have a Plan A on how to satisfy NCL's embarkation & testing requirements next month as well as those of Bermuda health authorities on the TA ... sometime next week, we'll hopefully pin it down successfully & get thru the testing just fine.  

One thing for sure, not traveling or leaving home without the web-cam enabled notebook PC and/or Chromebook, probably going to grab the iPad(s) along with the smart/iPhones too - to have various digital options open and deal with contingencies or surprises.  

• Like 1

@LMKakaThing2 I had to check for myself, because Friday would certainly be better for me...here is the chat transcript:

Robert (4/22/2022, 3:33:17 PM): Hello Charlotte. Thank you for chatting with Norwegian Cruise Line. My name is Robert. I would be happy to assist you today. 
Charlotte (4/22/2022, 3:34:35 PM): HI 
Charlotte (4/22/2022, 3:35:05 PM): I was wondering..I have a bit of confusion around testing times for a cruise going out of Vancouver 
Charlotte (4/22/2022, 3:35:11 PM): Leaving on a monday 
Charlotte (4/22/2022, 3:35:25 PM): NLC states 48 hours 
Charlotte (4/22/2022, 3:35:33 PM): arriveCan states 72 
Robert (4/22/2022, 3:36:42 PM): Good afternoon, Charlotte. That is correct. If you want the test to work for both requirements, I recommend keeping it within 48 hours. 
Charlotte (4/22/2022, 3:36:58 PM): Perfect, sure will, thank you! 

I too, was having an issue in using the cvs.com website to look out 2 weeks for available appointments (as I have done many times).  Couldn't get any results for antigen tests "within a 100 mile radius" for the entire 2 weeks.  Hogwash!  I drove down to my local CVS that I have tested at several times since cruise restart and talked to the MinuteClinic rep.  She said she did not know why the website was doing what it is doing (she *was* aware of it) but that there were a couple of ways around it.  (NOTE: this may or may not work at all CVS locations!)  This was after notifying her that this was for travel.

1) You can still book an appointment for the SAME DAY via the website.  (That does not give me the warm fuzzies...)

2) Our particular CVS is in a small community and does not have a lot of "traffic" in the MinuteClinic.  She suggested that I just make a "regular" appointment for the MinuteClinic (Illness, etc.) which you can do (usually) about 3 days in advance.  Then, once at the appointment just tell them what I *really* need (antigen test).  She said it was no problem for them to adjust the record for the visit to reflect it is for a test.

I'm using this as my "Plan A", with the iHealth test service as my "Plan B" and a local pharmacy that does walk-in testing (no appointment) as my "Plan C" (paid).  SURELY one of these methods will get us a valid test (and hopefully NOT POSITIVE!)

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, WindinmySails said:

Yes, I have the same confusion, so I am going with 48 hours.....but I can as I'll still be in Denver.  I would maybe reach out to NCL chat?  

19 minutes ago, WindinmySails said:

@LMKakaThing2 I had to check for myself, because Friday would certainly be better for me...here is the chat transcript:

Robert (4/22/2022, 3:33:17 PM): Hello Charlotte. Thank you for chatting with Norwegian Cruise Line. My name is Robert. I would be happy to assist you today. 
Charlotte (4/22/2022, 3:34:35 PM): HI 
Charlotte (4/22/2022, 3:35:05 PM): I was wondering..I have a bit of confusion around testing times for a cruise going out of Vancouver 
Charlotte (4/22/2022, 3:35:11 PM): Leaving on a monday 
Charlotte (4/22/2022, 3:35:25 PM): NLC states 48 hours 
Charlotte (4/22/2022, 3:35:33 PM): arriveCan states 72 
Robert (4/22/2022, 3:36:42 PM): Good afternoon, Charlotte. That is correct. If you want the test to work for both requirements, I recommend keeping it within 48 hours. 
Charlotte (4/22/2022, 3:36:58 PM): Perfect, sure will, thank you! 

Called NCL and the rep said we go by Canada’s regulations. I’m gonna chance it, and do the rapid PCR…I say that now but my anxieties will probably get the best of me and I’ll do a rapid in Canada 🤣😂. Now I wish we weren’t flying in 2 days early. 

32 minutes ago, LMKakaThing2 said:

Called NCL and the rep said we go by Canada’s regulations. I’m gonna chance it, and do the rapid PCR…I say that now but my anxieties will probably get the best of me and I’ll do a rapid in Canada 🤣😂. Now I wish we weren’t flying in 2 days early. 

They are just as confused as we are!  No, enjoy your time in Vancouver, you deserve it!

5 hours ago, DwayneG said:

I've been watching to schedule our tests for a couple of weeks now.  Typically I could see dates for two weeks out.  But lately there were no appointments available after yesterday; later dates said NO APPOINTMENTS AVAILABLE.  Now today all the locations near us say that nothing is available.

CVSs around us stopped doing rapid tests about a month and a half ago. 

We use the eMed home test kit for all of our cruises (Royal and NCL). Fast. Easy. We do it at the kitchen table sipping coffee. Results within seconds of the proctor seeing a negative result. And our insurance company covered 100% of the cost of the home kits (which is more than federally mandated)

• Like 1

One of the nieces and her group leaving next week for the short 5 days "Joy to Bermuda" and while CVS in NY area might be out of any & all available slots for Antigen Rapid testing with results available within 2 hours ... Walgreen is an option.  Just did a look-up for Sunday, still plenty of slots to get tested free.  Of course, it's not a walk down a few city blocks or quick drive to the nearby strip mall, but it's a short drive away.  The proctored testing options, of course, is a matter of personal choice, convenience & reimbursable by one's health insurance plan with such coverage - not necessary for all cruise passengers, however.  

Walgreen-C19-RapidNAAT Testing available within 48 hours.jpg

6 hours ago, LMKakaThing2 said:

I think Canada just dropped their testing requirements, only have to do their online entry application.  So just need to follow NCL rules.  Just got a letter re: Canada and it didn't say anything about additional testing requirements. 

Went for my fourth rapid antigen test the beginning of April at my local CVS.  No problem getting an appointment two weeks before.

This time, instead of going into the small trailer outside the store, we had to go into the store to the minute clinic and in addition to the test our blood pressure and temp was taken.  Was told we would get a call from an RN later in the day, which we did.  Our results were also posted in a few hours.

So now CVS charged our insurance company $120 instead of $39 pp and after they paid there was a balance of $41.77.  Haven't got a bill yet from CVS but if I do I'm not sure where we will go on our next cruise, which isn't until September.  Maybe they will not be required by then.  No harm hoping.

2 hours ago, EllieinNJ said:

Went for my fourth rapid antigen test the beginning of April at my local CVS.  No problem getting an appointment two weeks before ... now CVS charged our insurance company $120 instead of $39 pp and after they paid there was a balance of $41.77.  Haven't got a bill yet from CVS but if I do I'm not sure where we will go on our next cruise, which isn't until September.  Maybe they will not be required by then.  No harm hoping.

CVS, Walgreen and even some of the Article 28 facilities (that's non-profit, federally funded community health centers) in the U.S. might well be responding to diminished reimbursement & future fundings for doing these "free" testing for all - read this linked article (not to get into a "discussion")

https://www.wfyi.org/news/articles/funding-cuts-covid-tests-treatments-worsen-health-disparities

"We" are still hoping and counting on getting tested in a matter of days for our next cruise in NYC, free, from one of the walk-up mobile testing sites (vans) - now that even their availabilities are being scaled down.  Set aside the iHealth kits we ordered and if necessary, pay for the proctoring services.  NYC was ground zero for Covid-19 then and again, appeared to be - sadly - setting the tone & pace for the newest sub/variants with alarms for rising positivity results - if we have difficulties getting tested on a routine & timely basis.  It isn't going to be any easier for leisure travel.  To borrow a phrase from one of our little grand nephew - "who pays" for it - fees based labs & for-profit facilities will cheerfully do it, just not going to take it for granted as being "free".  

P.S.  Just checked our healthplan's account, CVS did billed for the testing & were paid, a balance of $8.51 is due from each of us. 

Edited by mking8288

19 hours ago, hallux said:

Why not just get the at-home tests from eMed or Optum (same company, different purchase options available).  SOOO much easier than fretting about CVS or Walgreens having appointments available...

Why not check the Urgent Care centers.  I used American Family Care.  No appointment necessary.  In and out with printed results in hand in less than 30 minutes.  No cost to me.  NCL easily accepted the results.