The Daily for Saturday 04/23/2022

richwmn

Today is National Lost Dog Awareness Day, German Beer Day, and Movie Theater Day

It is what you read when you don't have to that determines what you will be when you can't help it.--Oscar Wilde

Meal Suggestion for today - Katsudon
Drink of the Day - Louisville Skyline
Wine of the Day - Amalaya 2020 White (Salta) Other
Destination of the Day - Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Ships With Passengers

At Sea Atlantic

Nieuw Statendam   Destination Ponta Delgada, Sao Miguel Island, Azores eta 04/24
Rotterdam   Destination Horta, Faial Island, Azores eta 4/24

At Sea Pacific

Koningsdam   Destination Vancouver, BC CA eta 4/28

Cabo San Lucas, Baja California Mexico

Eurodam   08:00 - 15:00

La Paz, Baja California Mexico

Nieuw Amsterdam   07:00 - 18:00

Santa Barbara, California

Zuiderdam   08:00 - 18:00

Ukrainian Refugee Housing

Rotterdam Waalhaven

Volendam  

Ships Without Passengers

Catania, IT

Oosterdam  

Great Stirrup Cay

Noordam   Anchorage

Long Beach, CA US

Westerdam   Operations off Shore

Stirrup Cay

Zaandam   Anchorage

0423World.thumb.png.52c928670f93193ef84e9cf3019e352d.png

• Like 27
  • Thanks 15

Good afternoon.

It is 55°F and sunny now.

Thank you for today's daily and fleet reports Rich.

German beer is world renowned.

It is sad there are so many stray dogs and lost dogs and it is important to find them homes or find and return them to their owners.

I will give today's food and drink a miss.

We have visited Amsterdam many times on cruise ships plus on DFDS cruise ferries from our local port Newcastle before we started cruising in 2003.

Prayers 🙏 for all who they will help.

I hope everyone has a nice weekend.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 31

Thank you for the Saturday Daily, Rich.  I'll pass on the German Beer, rarely go Movie Theaters (I think the last "Theater" was the pool deck on Nieuw Statendam) but will celebrate Lost Dog Awareness.  Interesting statement by Wilde.  Been to Amsterdam several times, gateway to Ijmuiden and the Prinsendam, destination port for Nieuw Statendam, and most recently as embarking port for a river cruise on Crystal Bach.  If I had Katsudon I would want to hold the onions.  My alternative is Minted Melon and Raspberry Soup, Grandma's Chicken Noodle Soup and Penne with Chicken

Today’s care list:

Strength for Jacqui
Strength for smitty34867

Cruzin Terri and DH with covid at sea
Lady Hudson SIL in rehab after stroke
A tough day for mamaofami
msmayor daughter recovering from gall bladder surgery
Knee replacement for Ryan
From the rotation:
Welfare of furloughed crews
msmayor’s daughter struggling with motherhood
Strength for Marshawk and DH
Buddy still having trouble despite slow improvement

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Volendam housing refugees
Noordam in service in 1 day
7 BHB with guests
summer slope with DD and DGS
Welcome home Quartzite Cruiser
Signs of recovery for Cruzin Terri
msmayor daughter back home and feeling better
1 day for Norseh2o (Regatta to 5/1)
1 day for leafsnation (Noordam to 5/15)
 Cruzin Terri (Nautica  to 5 /5), jawhawk66 and  sailingdutchy (Nieuw Statendam to  5/8)  at sea
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 29
  • Thanks 14

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Lovely morning, though the wind has started up already. We have not had one day without rip current warnings this year. Off to an early Pilates class. 

Thank you Roy - for all the work you put in to our lists. Morning Dailyites. Hoping to do some gardening and I need to get the leaves out of the potting/pool equipment shed. 

Saturday smiles….

B374F1AB-6FD4-4B12-B106-C99A664582B6.jpeg.5273d2ce8ecd9fb113560aa1a58468fa.jpeg

7D77D383-4989-4274-961E-A610DDE2B22C.jpeg.3bd8ac0c9d93e0bbe657cf5b5474be27.jpeg

DD8E3ADB-D799-433D-A5A2-11C5D9B93B87.jpeg.86b365123936e05830f8a4fb67c62ccf.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Amalaya Blanco 2020

This Argentinian wine has very good - excellent reviews, and a price that makes it an easy one to try. The combination of citrus & fatty in its description make it sound very interesting. Numerous online distributors with prices starting at $7.99. 

Winemaker Notes

Shiny gold very limpid color. Citrus notes of grapefruit and lemon skins dominate the nose. In mouth, delicate and silky yet fresh and crisp with good acidity and a distinctive mineral note. Blend: 85% Torrontés, 15% Riesling

V91 Vinous

The 2020 Blanco Amalaya is a Torrontés blended with 15% Riesling from Cafayate in the Calchaquí Valley and is made in a modern style. It has attractive aromas of basil, orange blossom, orange peel and jasmine. In the mouth it is fatty with vibrant freshness packaged in an impactful but subtle ball of flavor that makes this a very competitively-priced wine.

JS91 James Suckling

Orange-blossom, lime-zest, peach and melon aromas. It’s medium-bodied with bright acidity and a fresh, pithy finish. Refreshing. Drink now.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 8
  • Haha 4

Good morning and thanks for the Daily Report.

It's cloudy and chance of rain today, but supposed to get up to 17C (63F) this afternoon,  it feels a little like spring. 🙂 

I hope lost dogs find homes.  I'm not much of beer drinker or a movie goer, but I love the design of some old movie houses.

Interesting quote.

I'll wait until I see the recipes before I decide about the meal.

The wine sounds good,  hope the drink is tasty too.

We've been to Amsterdam a couple of times, great city.  I'll see if I can find pictures.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a wonderful Saturday.

Stay safe.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  I worked in a theater while going through college.  We haven’t been to one in over two years and have no idea when we will go back.  I’ll wait for Debbie’s recipes and pictures to decide on today’s meal suggestion.  I would enjoy a good German beer once I get some yard work done.

I have a T-shirt with the following sentiment and I will grab a session or two with my therapists this weekend.

image.png.61fb8408e694f61dd274ccb26e25e171.png

• Like 31
  • Haha 4

9 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Saturday Daily, Rich.  I'll pass on the German Beer, rarely go Movie Theaters (I think the last "Theater" was the pool deck on Nieuw Statendam) but will celebrate Lost Dog Awareness.  Interesting statement by Wilde.  Been to Amsterdam several times, gateway to Ijmuiden and the Prinsendam, destination port for Nieuw Statendam, and most recently as embarking port for a river cruise on Crystal Bach.  If I had Katsudon I would want to hold the onions.  My alternative is Minted Melon and Raspberry Soup, Grandma's Chicken Noodle Soup and Penne with Chicken

Today’s care list:

Strength for Jacqui
Strength for smitty34867

Cruzin Terri and DH with covid at sea
Lady Hudson SIL in rehab after stroke
A tough day for mamaofami
msmayor daughter recovering from gall bladder surgery
Knee replacement for Ryan
From the rotation:
Welfare of furloughed crews
msmayor’s daughter struggling with motherhood
Strength for Marshawk and DH
Buddy still having trouble despite slow improvement

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Volendam housing refugees
Noordam in service in 1 day
7 BHB with guests
summer slope with DD and DGS
Welcome home Quartzite Cruiser
Signs of recovery for Cruzin Terri
msmayor daughter back home and feeling better
1 day for Norseh2o (Regatta to 5/1)
1 day for leafsnation (Noordam to 5/15)
 Cruzin Terri (Nautica  to 5 /5), jawhawk66 and  sailingdutchy (Nieuw Statendam to  5/8)  at sea
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thank you for today's lists Roy.

Graham.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, everyone.

It looks like it will be a beautiful day here in Columbus, Ohio.  I came down last night for our conference today.  The conference will be kind of bitter sweet as I step down from my position of Executive Director.  Sweet because I want the time to do other things and bitter because I have met so many wonderful people while doing this job and I will miss the close working relationship.  I am blessed with friends in all parts of the state. This is a positive move for the organization because new leadership often breathes new life and ideas into the organization.  

Today's meal sounds kind of good to me.   Katsudon is basically katsu (a pork chop breaded with panko and fried) over rice with onion and egg.  https://thewoksoflife.com/katsudon/

1120819974_Katsudon1.thumb.jpg.c7c69609a4b31af115621c20f74d23f8.jpg

This dish is primarily made up of layers of steamed rice, breaded pork cutlet, and an umami-rich sauce. There are many versions of katsudon based on the region, but everyone seems to love the addition of simmered onions and egg poured on top. 

https://www.justonecookbook.com/katsudon/

1459791630_Katsudon2.thumb.jpg.6540cf0f5afc786c3ea3b7b8d99f094d.jpg

In Japanese culture, katsudon is considered soul food—the symbol of a tasty warm meal that can melt even the coldest part of your heart.  https://www.thespruceeats.com/katsudon-2031259

1276502700_katsudon3.thumb.jpg.c99e4d425ba8fc8e633a6ef7e38ff9b7.jpg

Prayers for all who need them, especially Ukraine and our Daily family members in need.  Cheers to all who are celebrating.   Wishing you all a beautiful day.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 9

Good Morning Dailyite Family!  It's an F1 race weekend, so I will be glued to the tube most of the weekend, and finally the weather is wonderful, so I will have to manage my time and not be watching all day long, and stay up all night long to catch up.  We did the donut run yesterday, got my birthday donut for this morning. It's called a sunflower, and you pull the petals off of it, great for dunking.

Growing up, my family did not make much of my birthday, too many sad memories.  My dad's mom passed away on the birthday in1966, and my mom's father passed away on my birthday in 1978.  I don't hold that against them, their parents were great.  This year, I will celebrate with food, TV (F1), and lunch with friends.  I haven't gotten dinner figured out, but this is one day I refuse to cook.  

@rafinmd  I miss your meal pictures that you used to post with the menu from the ship.  

@dfish  Stepping away from the position, wont mean stepping away from friends.  Thank you for the recipe today.  When we go to eat Japanese, my friend Jerry always orders this meal.

Oh gosh, I must be hungry, obsessing over food!

2b60b75c366d21b5f45b949f0faece99.jpg

when-someones-plans-start-with-there-will-be-food-proceed-3441250.png

642af6c7c08557bf012202b6337bc040.jpg

• Like 25
  • Haha 13

Good Saturday morning, a beautiful day on tap here in SW MI.   Lost dogs and cats need to get back to their homes.  Facebook has been a big help with that with the Lost and Found pages.  I couldn't find the owner of my cat that showed up but I found someone who wanted a cat.  I love German Beer but mainly when I am in Germany.   We are probably heading to the theater Monday for a matinee for The Northman.  Quote is strange and not worth pondering at this hour when I can get outside soon.  @dfishthank you for the lovely recipes.  One of them will be worth a try.   @cat shepard thank you for our daily vinos.  Louisville Sky sounds like Bourbon so it may be a winner.  

September 2018 my friend and I were in Amsterdam for several days prior to boarding the Konigsdam for an Iberian Adventure and had perfect weather.  

Photos - bedroom Palace Museum, Damrak Bistro interior, Bistro Clock, Leaving Harbor, Damrak from our hotel balcony, Hercules Palace Museum, New Church Damrak, Nancy & Nancy, Damrak Obelisk, Palace Hall, Future Mural at Clock Bistro, Moses painting at the Palace Museum

bedroom palace 91418.jpg

bistro interior 91418.jpg

clock bistro by hotel 91418.jpg

fireboats leaving Amsterdam.jpg

Damrak.jpg

hercules 91418.jpg

New Church Damrak 91414.jpg

Nancy Nancy cafe 91418.jpg

Obelisk and clouds Damrak 91418.jpg

palace hall 91418.jpg

future mural 91418.jpg

Palace Moses painting 91418.jpg

• Like 32
  • Thanks 9

Good morning. Another beautiful day  here on the Emerald Coast. I have been to Amsterdam several times. Even celebrated New Years Eve there once. Love the canals and the people are so friendly.

We need a couple of more items for trip and other then that not much planned. 
Thanks Rich and all who contribute.

Have a great weekend.

• Like 29

Good Morning from another very windy day at the beach

I dont drink beer, never really cared for the taste. Have not been to a movie theatre in a few years. I think the last movie I saw was Mama Mia 2.  I do plan on going to see Downton Abbey when it comes out.

Amsterdam was on our 2020 cancelled Baltics cruise. Another time. I had plans to go to Keukenoff (?sp) to see the tulips.

Today is my birthday. Playing golf with DS and then meeting DH and DD for a late lunch. Good Day.

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 28

Good morning everyone. Yesterday was absolutely beautiful here and we had company visit on our patio. Not so nice today but our daughter is coming again to take Sam shopping for some new shoes and slippers. I honestly don’t know how we would manage without her. 
Im going off to have my nails done and hopefully have a relaxing day.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 32

Good morning- reading is like travel - it expands your world.  We love Amsterdam and hopefully will be back there in August for 5 days before our Norway cruise.  Last time we were there it was pride week.  It was so moving to go from the Anne Frank house into the heart of the pride parade - transitioning from hate to love.  The parade through the canals was fantastic- the traffic - not so much. It should be a beautiful day here in Pittsburgh- a high in the low to mid 80’s. 

• Like 27

14 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

Good Morning Dailyite Family!  It's an F1 race weekend, so I will be glued to the tube most of the weekend, and finally the weather is wonderful, so I will have to manage my time and not be watching all day long, and stay up all night long to catch up.  We did the donut run yesterday, got my birthday donut for this morning. It's called a sunflower, and you pull the petals off of it, great for dunking.

Growing up, my family did not make much of my birthday, too many sad memories.  My dad's mom passed away on the birthday in1966, and my mom's father passed away on my birthday in 1978.  I don't hold that against them, their parents were great.  This year, I will celebrate with food, TV (F1), and lunch with friends.  I haven't gotten dinner figured out, but this is one day I refuse to cook.  

@rafinmd  I miss your meal pictures that you used to post with the menu from the ship.  

@dfish  Stepping away from the position, wont mean stepping away from friends.  Thank you for the recipe today.  When we go to eat Japanese, my friend Jerry always orders this meal.

Oh gosh, I must be hungry, obsessing over food!

2b60b75c366d21b5f45b949f0faece99.jpg

when-someones-plans-start-with-there-will-be-food-proceed-3441250.png

642af6c7c08557bf012202b6337bc040.jpg

Happy birthday @marshhawk

Graham 

Screenshot_20211028_164408.jpg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily report, recipes and lists.  I hope all lost dogs are found today.  I like German Beer occasionally.  We rarely go to the movies.  I get the quote but I’m not quite sure that I agree.  The meal suggestion sounds delicious.  I was in Amsterdam once before the dawn of cell phones so no pictures to share.  Prayers for everyone on our list.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events as well as bittersweet ones!

• Like 24

In honor of German beer (and waitresses).7EF3E136-77D5-4AD0-B6F5-C9F451A976CC.jpeg.0702621cf7d395b61936c6a6dd963325.jpeg

Better than an ice cream truck?

29D984E0-1CBC-4C51-B4A4-F4A5C1B6C235.thumb.jpeg.39678de9414a0f50ffe31a1564a9c26b.jpeg

Looking forward to pictures from Amsterdam.  Seeing the tulips in bloom is on my bucket list.

• Like 24
  • Haha 14

13 minutes ago, cunnorl said:

Good Morning from another very windy day at the beach

I dont drink beer, never really cared for the taste. Have not been to a movie theatre in a few years. I think the last movie I saw was Mama Mia 2.  I do plan on going to see Downton Abbey when it comes out.

Amsterdam was on our 2020 cancelled Baltics cruise. Another time. I had plans to go to Keukenoff (?sp) to see the tulips.

Today is my birthday. Playing golf with DS and then meeting DH and DD for a late lunch. Good Day.

Stay safe and enjoy today

Happy birthday and hope you have a great game of golf.

Graham.

Screenshot_20211019_100324.jpg

• Like 22

20 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

I started doing the collages in 2016 or 2017, so I don't have them available for cruises before that.  I've  been alternating recently between my 2014 world cruise segment and some later cruises (first 2017 and now 2019) and including the meals each day that I didn't post in 2021.  There will be a lot more days eventually that I don't have photos. 

And Happy Birthday.

Roy

• Like 19
  • Thanks 5