The Daily for Saturday 04/23/2022

richwmn

Happy Birthday to @marshhawk and @cunnorl. Enjoy the celebrations !

We have been to Amsterdam  several times prior to cruises and very much enjoyed our stays. My husband uses hearing aids that help a great deal but is very hard of hearing. The last time we were there I arranged a private tour of the Van Gogh museum for us and it was such a joy. We have also gone to the Ann Frank House and just walked and walked through the beautiful city.

I like  the sound of the recipe but will file it away for another day. We decided to fire up the outdoor grill and pretend it is warmer than sixty degrees. I am going to make some potato salad and we will end up eating inside.

We are stumbling along here but it has been a little more manageable.

Terry

• Like 31

Good morning everyone from SoFlo, still windy here, another red flag day at the beach and small craft warnings. I don't remember such a windy winter/spring in all my years living here. it is sunny however so I should be able to get some errands done this morning. Need a pedicure so that will be the priority today.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Mary

• Like 23
  • Haha 1

Good Morning.

Ilove a good german beer - especially from the tap and in Germany.

Visited Amsterdam a while back  (1972). Vvid memories of the Ann frank house and espefially the Van Gogh museum. For a long time after that I couldn't get the song "Vincent" out of my head.

Even today, every time I hear that song i remember the Van Gogh museum.

• Like 22

Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebration Report, and thank you Debbie for today's recipes. And thank you all for being here!

Ten years ago while we were living in Maryland, Sue was doing a lot of traveling. I convinced her that I needed a companion, another heartbeat in the house while she was gone. My younger daughter found an Alaskan Malamute online at the Blind Dog Rescue Alliance website. I contacted them concerning Oke' (Oh-Kee and it means "sesame" in the Coptic language) so about two weeks later his foster mom brought him for a visit, and also to vet our house for sharp corners as he was blind in one eye. He had gone stray in West Virginia during the derecho of 2012. Poor guy would always get extremely distressed when it would storm. Oke' had been taken to a kill shelter while wandering but luckily rescued by BDRA.

I nicknamed him My Good Buddy as he was my constant shadow. We only had him a bit less than three years until cancer took him and his spleen ruptured quickly. Gone in 1-1/2 hours!. Since then I have made a point of rescuing older dogs as they normally aren't adopted. 

Have a Great Weekend!

- Jack

DSCN2309.thumb.JPG.d0f0a1ca67bc5782b9a0f29951cd1494.JPG

DSCN2331.thumb.JPG.6c79266e03cc7d56bc03caeefc306e5a.JPG

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 37
  • Thanks 7

Good morning friends!  Another beautiful morning here so we walked to the gym.  "My car" was not on a trailer behind a motor home in the Sports Complex parking lot so somehow they removed it from there.  Hoping to have a calm, restful weekend with perhaps some grocery shopping and that is it!  Happy birthday to our friends Ann @marshhawkand Charlene @cunnorl!  Many happy returns of the day. 🎂 To Carol @mamaofamiit's good to hear you sounding more relaxed and happy about the everyday activities you and Sam are able to do now.  That means your aide Kate is working out well, so hurray for that! 🙂 Terri @Cruzin TerriI hope you and Jim are enjoying your balcony today and finding things to do to pass the time until you're out of jail.  Take care!

Thank you Rich @richwmnfor the great Daily today.  I see there are no BHB's in Port Everglades today but nice to see so many of them back to work sailing the seas with happy passengers onboard.  Thank you Roy @rafinmdfor the two lists today.  A nice group of Celebrations so a shoutout to all of them.🥂  Prayers were said early today for the Care list and the people and supporters of Ukraine.  Special prayers for Tana and family of helpers, and Jose and Jacqui.  Condolences to the family of the Texas National Guardsman who was lost yesterday trying to save a drowning woman. That situation is sad in so many ways.  In other news, word yesterday was Ryan's surgery was quite successful but it was hurting quite a bit.  I'm sure they've even had him up out of bed already.  He may be removed from your list Roy.  Last I heard on Buddy, besides the lack of taste buds his salivary glands were destroyed by the radiation.  He has to drink water all day, but at night he suffers from dry throat and mouth.  He has all the dry mouth products on the market but they don't help enough, so you can imagine how that affects his attitude.  I have no idea if this will improve with time or not.  

Nice set of days today.  Lost dogs awareness is a good cause.  I would hope they would all find a new home if not their old one. 🐶 By the way DD and DSIL have decided they want to get another dog as they miss the companionship Gracie provided.  DSIL works from his home office and misses his buddy lying at his feet most of the day.  So look for news on that soon.  Hurray for German beer.  And I hope movie theaters don't all go out of business with the current climate of social distancing and everyone streaming movies instead of going out to see them.  I personally don't watch many movies.  I used to when on long overseas flights though and haven't done that in a long time.  The menu suggestion today doesn't look like my cup of tea.  And I have no idea what to think of the quote today. 🤷‍♀️

This morning the tool I use to look up our visits to different ports is not working.  The site cannot connect to the database.  Huh?  Anyway Amsterdam is a lovely port that we visited in 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019 all on Prinsendam.  It will take me a while to look up photos for all those dates but there's no hurry - we've got all day, right?

Have a lovely start to your weekend all!

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

@Heartgrove  Thank you for adopting older fur babies.  They appreciate the roof, the food, and the companionship.  My neighbor (the one I walk the dog for) only adopts rescue Boxers.  No puppies. Just the older dogs.

I just adopt every stray cat that shows up.

Oke' came to us as an old, neglected dog with broken teeth, blind in one eye, and must have been kept on concrete as his elbows were almost raw. BDRA fostered him for five weeks prior to me adopting him so he was recovering. Very thin but through healthy food and judicious treats gained weight. He was approximately nine so we tried to make his last three years enjoyable. Still miss him! Someone once told me the best tribute to a rescue when they pass is to adopt another rescue. So then came Juno and now Sam.

• Like 27

Good morning from a very windy central Texas.  I have a feeling that by the time I get the cars washed I'll have been washed too. 🤣

@Heartgrove  Thank you for honoring lost dogs by adopting rescues.  I wish more people would do the same, and our DDs have adopted rescues.  I'm not a fan of German beers, and it’s been years since we've been to a movie theater.

The Oscar Wilde quote is interesting.

We'll pass on the meal, drink, and wine.

We have been to Amsterdam many times on BHBs and always enjoyed the city.  Once we went a few days early and celebrated our anniversary there.  We've also visited the Anne Frank house and the Van Gough Museum.  I loved his painting Irises.  I'll look for pictures after washing the cars and a grocery run.

@marshhawk  🎂 🎉 HAPPY BIRTHDAY ANN! 🥂 🐈

@cunnorl  🎊 🎉  HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHARLENE! 🎂 🍷

@smitty34877  Terry, I’m glad things are more manageable now.

@mamaofami  Carol, good that your DD is taking Sam shopping.  You sound more upbeat since Kate became Sam's aide.

Lenda

• Like 22
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

Amsterdam was the beginning or ending port of most of our times spent there.  One time we flew there from a cruise which ended in Montreal.  So we got a flight from Montreal to Reykjavik and then on to Amsterdam to pick up our next cruise on the Prinsendam.  This was the view as our Icelandair flight landed in Schiphol airport in Amsterdam that trip.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKsf5xgdGWHqIga0jV16iaT?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1538532013

A few weeks later on turnaround day in Amsterdam.  Busy day!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIzZs5i2KRVhsU3FaEB-nT7?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1538561155

The Prinsendam docked next to the Koningsdam that day.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIE_WdyUti7JZhYycknXsGR?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1538561154

On deck at sailaway time we heard two ladies talking and wondering which direction we would be headed.  Uh, do you see that low bridge ahead of us?  I don't think there's any chance we're going to go that way.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLlfjU--aIyaH7utFv52ZjM?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1538561156

But the trip we spent the most time in Amsterdam was in the middle of B2B cruises on Prinsendam in 2017.  Another turnaround day.  It was a misty day but we went out anyway.  The date was June 3, 2017.  A short walk from the ship was the very busy Centraal Station.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLDKo4yuHT4Ia_w3N5SgIb6?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1497898695

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLPNfXa74J-5VuIljkjeXj9?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1497898689

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK_UcXis0rifTVVhnMlwvvf?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1497898537

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJb28uWWOzqxAdevSYayMUx?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1497898542

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJIgS4t4Ad_SQiRsMBnMHRH?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1497898559

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKg0xarr0Rb085BQtuCERKv?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1497898546

This building worried me.  I wouldn't want to sit outside in front of it to enjoy a beverage, with those walls leaning like that.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ70J3khCA1I0LZKTtnYiTj?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1497898555

Madame Tussaud's00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJZcXrTKCuJPdM3d7PYvC6a?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1497898594

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLBuWEARC38SeEVh8Qco-ry?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1497898596

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJDN3cN2yB2wIfOmZ_DARCc?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1497898633

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKk1DxAPaS8H-nf15m092mU?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1497898634

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI3WBDJzN9UkHmzFlU4z4Xa?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1497898653

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJJBhtykNkRDNkb1cVS3MXp?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1497898659

This stop was just a walk around day for us, with no plans made ahead of time.  We do that a lot.  

• Like 27
  • Thanks 10

Good morning from sunny SW Ontario. We are having a spring day today 18º and another tomorrow....then back to the old colder temps. Blech! Luckily DH and I are visiting our DD in Cairo this week, so we will move from single digit temps to over 30ºC for the following couple of weeks. I'm hopeful that spring will be here when we return-just in time to pack the cold weather gear for a cruise to Alaska! 

THANK YOU to all the keepers of lists, recipes, drinks on this thread! You are treasures for us all!

@marshhawk and @cunnorl have a great birthday day. Let yourselves be spoiled! 🍰🥂🍻🎁

Prayers for all those that need them, whether they know it or not, and blessings to us all!

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

Good afternoon from Lisbon.  The temperature started out at 64 and immediately plummeted to 52 and windy. So again we are not able to use the balcony.  It is sunny so at least we are not looking at rain.

We were visited by the medical staff and I was given something to help my coughing at night. I am unable to take anything with Sudafed so I am limited to lozenges with some numbing qualities to help me not cough at night.

Other from that I am feeling okay.

My sense of smell has returned but it is not very strong.  

Jim is bored and spends a good time sleeping.

I too, am bored to tears, but there are people who have bigger problems in this world than I do, and I am trying to look on the bright side.  

I guess I am annoyed that people only think of themselves in not reporting their symptoms and cause others to become infected. So we have paid for an expensive cruise to look at four walls.  Except to buy meds in Cadiz last Wednesday, i have not been out of this room since Good Friday (April 15) and the earliest possible date of release is April 25.  that is just about 1/2 of our cruise.

To me that one huge waste of money. i started isolating as soon as I felt sick, even when I tested negative.

Considering that many were tested positive yesterday, I just wonder how many ignored their symptoms so as to not miss the ports.  I just find that both irresponsible and inconsiderate.

Okay, end of rant. i had to get it off my chest.

I hope all are well and I will post again later when I calm down.

Terri

• Like 25
  • Thanks 7

Good morning, all! Few things are sadder than a lost dog. I’m not sure what to make of the quote. The meals sounds good, if a little carb heavy. We’ve never been to Amsterdam, but are scheduled to overnight there in 2023.

Todays plans are to plant the roses, boxwood, and annuals I bought to replace the winter killed shrubs. While removing one of the dead ones, the handsaw jumped and bit into the back of my thumb. It bled like crazy. Today the pain and swelling are gone, and it just looks like a cat bit me with the little row of puncture marks.

Happy Birthday @marshhawk and @cunnorl💐🎂
Happy Saturday, and enjoy your BHB whenever you may be heading aboard one!

81AB9E3C-B5DA-4728-8D1E-F0969DA3E47E.thumb.jpeg.3ac37e09d4d8255d48c99900cfdc5762.jpeg

• Like 25

Good morning all!

It looks like it will be a beautiful day here in the PNW, looking at low 60's later today.  I'll be meeting my cousin for lunch in Mount Vernon, we haven't seen each other since pre-Covid.  She had been living in AZ but moved back to WA a few months ago. We've always been very close, and were each other's maids of honor at our weddings.  It's good to have her back here.

It's sad to see taped up lost pet signs on our community mail box.  Usually it's cats, but occasionally dogs.  I don't care for German beers, and haven't been to a movie theater in years.  Like Roy @rafinmdthe last time was on the pool deck of the NS (and also the Koningsdam).  We love to grab a pizza and beers, lay on the loungers and watch a movie -- looking forward to doing that again on the NS this fall!  

The wine sounds very good, will pass on the drink and meal.  I laughed out loud when reading one of the recipes:  "eggs w/o shells" (!) 

We've been to Amsterdam 3 or 4 times, I love that city.  We've just walked for miles and miles around the city, taken the HOHO, gone to the Anne Frank House, and the Van Gogh Museum.  Great city!

Happy Birthday Ann @marshhawkand Charlene @cunnorl!

Happy belated birthday Sue @Rowsby!

@Cruzin TerriI agree with you about the selfishness of some people.  I'm so sorry half your cruise will be spent looking at 4 walls 😞  I hope the weather improves soon and you can use your balcony at least.

Here are some photos from our visits to Amsterdam.

Sunrise over Amsterdam

1896467055_sunriseoverAmsterdam.jpg.1871503f52ee7dbb695bb1bd6b174542.jpg

On one trip we stayed at the Movenpick Hotel pre-cruise.  I highly recommend it!

331363227_MovenpickHotel.jpg.47383b6c8dc74b78d03bbc3669fc87b0.jpg

So close to the cruise terminal

1123017548_hotelnexttocruiseterminal.jpg.818b2dabb3a8b81a07b62332ecfb9fa7.jpg

Of course one day we did a canal boat ride.

331863654_Amsterdamcanal.jpg.d76b7f2a978311d06e84a5bde2ab8047.jpg

915698792_canalboatride.jpg.cc7a274c2af7bceb357d27d745d86b2c.jpg

Amsterdam.jpg.7620023a64f9fbf371f4e3778727eac2.jpg

I love the flowers everywhere.

737563276_flowersandcanal.jpg.f9e7637ef5740de712f3a9a0122d121a.jpg

canal.jpg.d73dedf2139b8bbc78883cfeb414a682.jpg

Many houseboats

897689883_houseboatlife.jpg.5dbc8c7cfab23bb9553011b6c8712dcc.jpg

One day we took the train from Rotterdam, where we spent 2 days on the cruise.

1092167770_Amsterdamtrainstation.jpg.5c44379be301b49d452b7e19cdbdd597.jpg

One of the views from the train

1645976742_FromthetrainbetweenRotterdamandAmsterdam.jpg.4b564a9e167043ebf4e698c871d34f5d.jpg

And saw the Anne Frank House -- so moving and touching.

1389192811_AnneFrankHouse.thumb.jpg.b630495c9578bba5a76a50b27da1b2ea.jpg

We went to the floating flower market

1738242881_Floatingflowermarket.jpg.dc9d2f210406b4f3841ea9be1be15b82.jpg

And I got flowers for our cabin on the ship

1978854174_flowersinAmsterdam.thumb.jpg.d64665e64c6b86a97833171df7bfd8ad.jpg

Lunch at the Hard Rock Cafe

1979585529_HardRockAmsterdam.jpg.8a182bb3c30ee6fde4e2b64eef849e4d.jpg

Some of the daffodil bulbs purchased in Amsterdam

1998543868_DaffodilbulbsfromAmsterdam.thumb.jpg.b70e81ce156c1cb58cb31fceb8a01bf3.jpg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 11

I love dogs, but never had one. Nothing could be sadder than a lost one.

i don’t drink beer.  Hate the stuff.  I have tried German beer and I just don’t like it.

Haven’t been to the theatre in ages.  When we lived in New York we would go to Broadway shows.  Where we live now it is akin to going to a High School production.  Just doesn’t cut it.  Haven’t been to the movies since God knows when.

Skip the food.

Finally a destination we have been to.  We finished a Tauck River Cruise in Amsterdam and stayed on for a few days.  Enjoyed visiting the Van Gogh museaum, the Rijksmuseum, the Anne Frank house, riding the canals.  We took a train ride to Van Schanz to see the windmills.  That was fun.

Sorry for the rant before.  

@marshhawk and @cunnorl  HAPPY BIRTHDAY.  I wish you a happy day and many more happy years.

Prayers for everyone on the cares list and cheers to those celebrating.

Trying to stay upbeat.  It is getting hard.

Take care everyone,

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 23

Good morning and thanks all!  
I love  Katsudon, one of my favourite Japanese foods,  very comforting.

That’s an interesting quote, as I read about a female WW 2 Russian sniper from the Ukraine, Diamond eye. 
Happy birthday, happy birthday dear @cunnorl and @marshhawk

We've been to Amsterdam several times, last time we were there on an Open day, so you could go in and see various houses and buildings, very interesting.  
@Cruzin Terri Totally agree with you about people needing to be responsible.  Heard yesterday from a neighbor that a relative attended his elderly mother’s birthday while still contagious, unconscionable!   If it’s any consolation,  I’ve been reading of the importance of rest in helping prevent long Covid or complications.  Apparently,  with Omicrom it weakens you and let’s other infections take hold.  So your quarantine may be a blessing in disguise.  

Well the snow has melted and we have some beautiful sunshine.  Enjoy the day! 

CD7ECBF1-CB47-43AD-A525-4EDA6C57F4DF.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Dismomx5 said:

Good morning from sunny SW Ontario. We are having a spring day today 18º and another tomorrow....then back to the old colder temps. Blech! Luckily DH and I are visiting our DD in Cairo this week, so we will move from single digit temps to over 30ºC for the following couple of weeks. I'm hopeful that spring will be here when we return-just in time to pack the cold weather gear for a cruise to Alaska! 

THANK YOU to all the keepers of lists, recipes, drinks on this thread! You are treasures for us all!

@marshhawk and @cunnorl have a great birthday day. Let yourselves be spoiled! 🍰🥂🍻🎁

Prayers for all those that need them, whether they know it or not, and blessings to us all!

Is this where your grand child is expected?

Roy

• Like 17