Itinerary Change

3 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I think the final payment dates are earlier for longer cruises.

Yes, having done a few long ones, over 30 days, 120 days out, final payment.

This article came out yesterday on Travel Pulse.  Holland America seem to think some ports will be open by our summer.  Do they know something we don't or are just being optimistic?

-----------

Holland America Line's MS Westerdam at sea. (Photo courtesy of Holland America Line)

Holland America Line has opened bookings for new itineraries aboard Westerdam starting in fall 2022 in anticipation of ports in Australia, New Zealand and Southeast Asia reopening to cruise ships.

Departing September 25, 2022, through March 13, 2023, these new cruises will explore the enchanting culture, history and landscapes of some of the most sought-after destinations in the Pacific. Itineraries in Australia and New Zealand will sail roundtrip from Sydney or between Sydney and Auckland and include scenic cruising in Fiordland National Park on New Zealand's South Island. Additionally, Holland America Line announced plans for a special holiday cruise of New Zealand departing on December 20.

Following a newly added seven-day Alaska cruise sailing roundtrip from Seattle on September 25, Westerdam will spend 36 days navigating the South Pacific en route to the southern and eastern regions of Australia and the North and South Islands of New Zealand. The lengthy cruise will depart Seattle on October 2 and arrive in Sydney on November 8. Along the way, the ship will make 14 calls on various islands, including Hawaii, Samoa, Fiji, Vanuatu, New Caledonia and Papua New Guinea before finishing with a trio of stops in Australia.

Beginning November 8, Westerdam will cruise Australia and New Zealand on four port-intensive sailings ranging from 13 to 15 days. With more time spent off the ship, guests can look forward to exploring and experiencing both countries' impressive history, culture, nature, food and wine.

In early 2023, the ship will sail from Sydney to Singapore to reposition for a drydock. This 16-day voyage will be highlighted by two days of scenic cruising in Australia's iconic Great Barrier Reef, which is one of the Seven Natural Wonders of the World. Following a refurbishment, Westerdam will cruise two new departures in February before assuming its previously published itineraries in Asia.

1 hour ago, Ondine said:

This article came out yesterday on Travel Pulse.  Holland America seem to think some ports will be open by our summer.  Do they know something we don't or are just being optimistic?

-----------

Holland America Line's MS Westerdam at sea. (Photo courtesy of Holland America Line)

Holland America Line has opened bookings for new itineraries aboard Westerdam starting in fall 2022 in anticipation of ports in Australia, New Zealand and Southeast Asia reopening to cruise ships.

Departing September 25, 2022, through March 13, 2023, 

We are in the fall of 2022 already, they know nothing. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We are sailing on 3/10 from Honolulu to Sydney on Celebrity Eclipse.

Bora Bora has been changed to Raiatea, only due to Tahiti not allowing larger ships to enter there.

However, we are scheduled to visit Auckland & Bay of Islands on 17th & 18th Oct respectively. 

I am wondering if this will happen?

There's lots of work involved in planning ships arriving and sailing around it needs firm commitments. Im not sure on numbers but if it was an average of 20 ships in Australia for the wave season each with an average of 2,000 passengers you can see why 

Press releases about new ships coming here and recruitment drives for the staff, investment into new port infrastructure and plans for NSW  QLD and even WA for the cruise market. Its all good.

Cutting thru all of the noise who can actually afford another year of no cruising and no cruise investment with the RBA hike........ 🥰

12 minutes ago, vegemeter said:

There's lots of work involved in planning ships arriving and sailing around it needs firm commitments. Im not sure on numbers but if it was an average of 20 ships in Australia for the wave season each with an average of 2,000 passengers you can see why 

Press releases about new ships coming here and recruitment drives for the staff, investment into new port infrastructure and plans for NSW  QLD and even WA for the cruise market. Its all good.

Cutting thru all of the noise who can actually afford another year of no cruising and no cruise investment with the RBA hike........ 🥰

That is all great, and why some parts of Oz have reluctantly opened their borders to cruising. For our wave season to work successfully though, we need NZ plus New Caledonia and/or Vanuatu to join in.

• Like 1

They don't know anything - they're taking a punt.  They will be probably be right, the Minister of Tourism said yesterday that there will be an announcement re the maritime border and cruise ships in the next couple of weeks.  It will likely be October to line up with the air borders.  As to what date in October and what the rules and restrictions will be,  I have no idea, and neither does HAL.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

We are looking at cruising to PNG with P&O in October (2022) after our transpacific with Carnival (which is preceded by Alaska with HAL) but we’re taking a wait and see approach. I don’t want to book until I have some confidence about the itinerary. 

• Like 1

hi all

so on our last cruise 11 Night South Pacific Cruise

Voyager of the Seas

Feb 25  Mar 7, 2020 was a disaster we were told after departing Noumea sorry we are now sailing to Tauranga ,Paihia and Eden not villa and mystery island etc. we where offered nothing they did give us our excursions as OBC that was it. Needless to say there was a lot of upset passengers it was our honeymoon and we are from NZ living an hour from Tauranga.....my question therefore is there any cruise insurance that would give us some type of compensation should this happen again??? we are attempting the same itinerary as part of our upcoming b2b cruses aware that currently Vanuatu is still closed yet hoping by the time we sail hey have opened (glass half full😁) its about the journey but we would love to finally see Vanuatu. peace

36 minutes ago, surferman123 said:

hi all

so on our last cruise 11 Night South Pacific Cruise

Voyager of the Seas

Feb 25  Mar 7, 2020 was a disaster we were told after departing Noumea sorry we are now sailing to Tauranga ,Paihia and Eden not villa and mystery island etc. we where offered nothing they did give us our excursions as OBC that was it. Needless to say there was a lot of upset passengers it was our honeymoon and we are from NZ living an hour from Tauranga.....my question therefore is there any cruise insurance that would give us some type of compensation should this happen again??? we are attempting the same itinerary as part of our upcoming b2b cruses aware that currently Vanuatu is still closed yet hoping by the time we sail hey have opened (glass half full😁) its about the journey but we would love to finally see Vanuatu. peace

That's a year old, policies have changed. I think you can claim now foritineraryy changes but best consult the wise owls here 😃

• Like 1

hi thanks im sure it has but finding it difficult to find went to see cruise travel agent yesterday and was told "no not possible" that lady must have been having a bad day or just has no idea she was rather rude about it oh well people are people. anyways from what have found so far because the cruise lines state that they can change itinerary then travel insurance here in NZ at least wont cover this i will keep looking.

Anther point i found interesting that came up we had insurance for Australia and south pacific but as we then sailed to NZ due to the changes we had no control over but this voided our insurance. Something to look out for? where you are actually covered and not.

Edited by surferman123

27 minutes ago, surferman123 said:

hi thanks im sure it has but finding it difficult to find went to see cruise travel agent yesterday and was told "no not possible" that lady must have been having a bad day or just has no idea she was rather rude about it oh well people are people. anyways from what have found so far because the cruise lines state that they can change itinerary then travel insurance here in NZ at least wont cover this i will keep looking.

Anther point i found interesting that came up we had insurance for Australia and south pacific but as we then sailed to NZ due to the changes we had no control over but this voided our insurance. Something to look out for? where you are actually covered and not.

Sorry you don't like the answer from the TA you can keep looking.  The cruise contract is very clear about ports of call and  itineraries it's  a Captain's call. You can get insurance for missing the cruise or if the cruise cut short but not for Mistry Island guarantee, they have named it well . Same as Doubtful Sound in NZ 😇

• Like 1

Travel insurance has long had a category for change of itinerary, but it didn't normally apply to a change of ports. It was more about out of pocket expenses due to having to modify flights and accommodation. But, now looking at an extract from 1cover, this is now listed in their cruise policy PDS:

Missed Port Cover

You only have this cover if You have purchased the Cruise Pack which is an option available for all plans other than Essentials and Medical Only.

We Will Pay We will pay a $250.00 for each scheduled port Your Cruise Vessel never docks at during Your Journey, which is due to weather conditions or natural disaster.

We Will Not Pay We will not pay if:

a) You cannot get a written statement from the cruise company or relevant authority confirming the reason for the missed port;

b) You can make a claim on this benefit on anyone else

I don't know what the length & breadth of policies are like in NZ. Generally, most cruise lines will offer token OBC to calm the crowd if there are missed ports or significant changes to the itinerary. In this case, I gather they have decided it was out of their control and not just an operational reason.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

thanks, yes it was due to staff contracting covid we got lucky the following cruise got stranded outside Sydney for weeks if I remember correctly so just trying to be extra vigilant always take cruise cover as a rule. 

Going On A Cruise?

This Cruise Pack is available with all policies except ‘Essentials’ and ‘Medical Only’.

The Cruise Pack gives you the following benefits in addition to the standard cover:

• Pre Paid Shore Excursions Cancellation - $1,000 
  • Missed Cruise Departure - $2,500
  • Cabin Confinement/Loss of Enjoyment - $1,500
  • Missed Port Cover - $750🙂
  • Formal Attire Cover - $1,500  
  • Formal Attire Delay Allowance - $250

If you go on a cruise and do not purchase the Cruise Pack, you will have limited cover under your policy. Please see the Policy Wording for full terms and conditions.

23. Missed Port Cover You only have this cover if you have purchased the cruise pack which is an option available for all plans other than Essentials and Medical Only.

We Will Pay We will pay a $250.00 for each scheduled port your cruise vessel never docks at during your journey, which is due to weather conditions or natural disaster. We Will Not Pay We will not pay if: a) You cannot get a written statement from the cruise company or relevant authority confirming the reason for the missed port; or b) You can make a claim on this benefit on anyone else.

Edited by surferman123
update found what was looking for Missed port Cover

3 hours ago, surferman123 said:

I am sorry the itinerary of your cruise was totally changed. It wasn't the cruise you signed up for and the cruiseline should have given you the option of disembarkation with a full refund plus airfares etc. If you stayed on board there should have been considerable compensation.

I feel it is likely your insurance would still have covered you. In a broad sense, NZ is in the South Pacific. The definition in your insurance may mean that you were not covered for trips to USA or Europe.

When I was researching travel insurance, I came across at least one company that paid a set amount of money for missed ports. I can't recall which company it was but it was one of the usual ones, I think one of those where you have to register and pay extra for cruise cover.

Edited by Aus Traveller
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SinbadThePorter said:

The Coral Princess September cruises from Sydney are now for sale on the Princess website.

4 day NSW $509pp inside

9 day Kangaroo Island $1089pp inside

10 day Qld $1199pp inside

12 day PNG $1419pp inside

We're booked! On the 9 day Kangaroo Island one. The fares were pretty much the same as the original restart releases.

Thank goodness for the CC and FB grapevines as these cruises were not announced in advance to the public by Princess. Thanks to the grapevine alerts I was able to tell my Planner what I wanted a couple of days ago and the confirmation email came through at 9:21am.

• Like 2