Ruby Princess Recent Covid Stats

capriccio

Here are the numbers from a reliable source ((Source: San Francisco Department of Public Health)

From and article (https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/2022/04/27/ruby-princess-coronavirus-outbreaks/) just published in the Washington Post.

• 37 cases on an Alaskan cruise that docked April 23.  The vaccination rate for crew was 100%, and 99 percent for passengers. (Source: San Francisco Department of Public Health)
  • 143 cases on a 15-day Hawaiian cruise that docked April 11.  The vaccination rate was 100 percent for both crew and passengers, and one person s hospitalized. (Source: San Francisco Department of Public Health)
  • 73 cases on a Panama Canal cruise that docked March 27. (Source: San Francisco Department of Public Health)
  • the ship also announced cases on the Ruby Princess in January (no numbers provided).

The article also noted that the CDC is investigating the Ruby Princess and placed the ship under observation according to its website.  No date was provided as to when that began

The article also included a comment from a Princess spokesperson after the April 11th cruise:  "“The protocols that have been established work. When cases are identified because of the testing onboard, cruise ship protocols help to maximize onboard containment with rapid response procedures designed to safeguard all other guests and crew as well as the communities that the ships visit.”  It also said Princess has not responded to a request for comment on the latest outbreaks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

36 minutes ago, capriccio said:

Here are the numbers from a reliable source ((Source: San Francisco Department of Public Health)

From and article (https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/2022/04/27/ruby-princess-coronavirus-outbreaks/) just published in the Washington Post.

• 37 cases on an Alaskan cruise that docked April 23.  The vaccination rate for crew was 100%, and 99 percent for passengers. (Source: San Francisco Department of Public Health)
  • 143 cases on a 15-day Hawaiian cruise that docked April 11.  The vaccination rate was 100 percent for both crew and passengers, and one person s hospitalized. (Source: San Francisco Department of Public Health)
  • 73 cases on a Panama Canal cruise that docked March 27. (Source: San Francisco Department of Public Health)
  • the ship also announced cases on the Ruby Princess in January (no numbers provided).

The article also noted that the CDC is investigating the Ruby Princess and placed the ship under observation according to its website.  No date was provided as to when that began

The article also included a comment from a Princess spokesperson after the April 11th cruise:  "“The protocols that have been established work. When cases are identified because of the testing onboard, cruise ship protocols help to maximize onboard containment with rapid response procedures designed to safeguard all other guests and crew as well as the communities that the ships visit.”  It also said Princess has not responded to a request for comment on the latest outbreaks.

Are these just the case that were reported on board? Do they know the numbers of PAX that were sick once they were home?

Considering how many passengers/crew are onboard, and the fact that some of these were very long cruises, those numbers prove that cruising is a safe bet. Covid zero is an unrealistic expectation, those numbers, in perspective, are very low percentages, that's great news! 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, capriccio said:

37 cases on an Alaskan cruise that docked April 23.  The vaccination rate for crew was 100%, and 99 percent for passengers. (Source: San Francisco Department of Public Health)

Reliable source?  The cruise that docked April 23 did not go to Alaska.  It was a CA. Coastal that went south.  I was on it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The numbers themselves are prooobably reliable... But as far as the route is concerned, tried to give it the benefit of a more liberal interpretation... And it has to be given a pretty impossibly wide definition to be considered accurate. 

I mean, its latest tour to Alaska DID involve going through Seattle at some point, but that was... 2019?

2 hours ago, capriccio said:

The cruise that ended April 23rd was a Pacific coastal cruise.

Simple enough to work out by looking at

https://sfport.com/files/2022-04/2022 San Francisco Cruise Schedule.pdf

Edited by brisalta

2 hours ago, geocruiser said:

Are these just the case that were reported on board? Do they know the numbers of PAX that were sick once they were home?

I'm sure they don't.

I have two data points to support that: my SIL had a headache the day before disembarkation from our March 10 - 20 cruise on the Enchanted Princess and my DB started feeling congested that afternoon.  When they got home to VA the next day (they were driving) they tested positive.  They didn't report to anyone - as I know many people, whether cruise passengers or not, using home tests don't report.  I did convince them to tell their GPs and get it added to their medical records.

• Like 3

What I find disturbing is the Princess pat-on-the-back after the April 11th cruise given that, IIRC, it has been reported that they dropped mid-cruise testing on those long itineraries.  Or am I remembering it incorrectly?

3 hours ago, capriccio said:

I don't doubt that the Ruby Princess and a whole bunch of other ships have covid on board. It does sound like the Ruby is having a larger than average amount of issues with properly managing the cases.

That being said, let's not start making the idea that the "CDC is investigating" a big deal and going into the media hype....

The CDC is currently 'investigating'  56 ships! All those with an orange status:

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/cruise-ship-color-status.html

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, capriccio said:

What I find disturbing is the Princess pat-on-the-back after the April 11th cruise given that, IIRC, it has been reported that they dropped mid-cruise testing on those long itineraries.  Or am I remembering it incorrectly?

You are correct. The last cruise with mid cruise and terminal testing (IIRC) was the February 25 eastbound Panama Canal. If reported cases are now down on the Ruby Princess, it’s likely because they are only testing B2B passengers and because of the shorter length of the cruises. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Yup.  The notion that only 73 people left the ship with COVID on 27 March is laughable.  That’s how many had been identified and tested.  There’s an integer multiplier > 2 of people who tested positive within 48 hours of disembarkation but aren’t contact-traced back to the ship. 

Serial.  Testing. Works. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, milogurd said:

From FB - Masks are back on the Emerald Princess.278816775_10224375095459379_605379797418

I guess they'll do what they think is right, but our CDC admits that surgical masks aren't that effective with the current strains.  Add in the frequent taking off/on, one really has to wonder if this is more for show than anything.  I wouldn't be as critical if they required the 95s, but for me, it's at least 95s or heck with them.  Even then, 95s have their issues, but that's another topic.

Let's hope this can die down ASAP.

• Like 4

It doesn't count the people who didn't submit to official testing in order to avoid quarantine. The lesson is that if you don't want to risk quarantine or a higher probability of exposure, then avoid longer cruises for now. The Ruby seems to be getting singled out because it goes out of SF and they publicize the Covid counts, which of course gets reported to local and national media, and there is always some idiot passenger who gets quoted about Covid everywhere, hellish quarantine conditions, etc. 

On 4/27/2022 at 3:54 PM, VibeGuy said:

Yup.  The notion that only 73 people left the ship with COVID on 27 March is laughable.  That’s how many had been identified and tested.  There’s an integer multiplier > 2 of people who tested positive within 48 hours of disembarkation but aren’t contact-traced back to the ship. 

Serial.  Testing. Works. 

I’m not sure I understand the article. It doesn’t say that 73 people left the ship with Covid. Could it be during the cruise, there were 73 identified cases?
 Of course, there were likely quite a few people who tested when they got home, to avoid having to be quarantined onboard.
You can easily find and read posts on social media that say….I started with a headache, runny rose, mild cough and drove home the next day. Those types of posts are common.  
It would be interesting if they tested everyone at disembarkation that had not already tested positive during the cruise, of course that will never happen, but I’d love to see those numbers. 

• Like 2

They did that, actually, by sampling 25% of those who weren’t boosted, on one sailing. The story gets it wrong in that it wasn’t 25% of passengers as a whole.  

The risk of being infected is definitely being downplayed by casual use of numerators and denominators along with an opacity on who qualifies and gets tested.   They also don’t release day by day counts that show the comparatively high r0 value, where one person bringing it on at embarkation leads to 12 or more people having it at the end of 15 days. 

• Like 1