Which World Cruise do you recommend?

islandwoman

5 hours ago, islandwoman said:

Which World Cruises include laundry or have passenger laundromats on board?

Which include wine (at least with lunch and dinner) or at least don't price gauge for drinks?

Which charge little or no corkage fees to bring your own wine onboard?

Which include some excursions in the cruise fare?

Are there any that still require a ship's excursion to go ashore at port calls?

Island, take a look at the Princess WCs.  Guest laundromats on board.  With the Princess Plus fare you get the Plus drink package, one specialty dining, free wifi, and pre-paid gratuities.  Over the course of a 111 day cruise that adds up.  Princess has a nice mix of sea days and port days, and the ship's size is a good fit for the way I like to cruise.

Just sayin'

13 hours ago, Janet&Carl said:

List similar to mine and I came out with Azamara - we havent tried them yet or booked a WC but we are trying a 12 night on them in November to see what they are like first.

There are a number of benefits included with booking the World Cruise on Azamara.  You can see whats included on their web  site.  But booking has to be done by contacting your TA or Azamara directly.  It shows each segment, but not booking the entire 155 days on the website.  Also if you book while you're on your November cruise, you might get some more obc.

I see you're from Tasmania.  We had a wonderful week in Tasmania in 2018 before we boarded the Azamara Journey in Sydney.  Would love to go back to Tasmania.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Island Woman, I am also from ski town Colorado have over 150N on Oceania and also wonder about your snob attitude on O. The most casual group of cruisers I have encountered. I am on 2024 WC after the 2021 was canceled. 2024 has almost identical itin on 21. Look it up. A few cabins available, do waitlists. 2025 is out with bookings opening in Sept. Early bookings include just about everything but booze; BYOB on O!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/5/2022 at 3:59 PM, islandwoman said:

Have you sailed Viking river cruises?  If so, would you think that they are a good indication of whether a passenger would like a Viking Ocean cruise?  We have a Viking river cruise booked for this fall, but so far no Viking ocean cruises. 

Hi, just returned from my first Viking Ocean cruise after having done 2 river cruises. There are a lot of similarities, and if you enjoyed one I think you will enjoy the other.

Dining choices are better on Ocean cruises and, in my opinion, the entertainment on the Ocean cruise was disappointing. The ship design and layout is great, it was almost like having a number of very large living rooms, not vast open spaces like on some cruise lines. Not much in the way of shopping. We had some cruise credit and struggled to spend it - I would have liked some new swimwear and a polo shirt but it wasnt to be. The sauna/wet bucket/steam rooms are great, really enjoyed them.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Nidec said:

Hi, just returned from my first Viking Ocean cruise after having done 2 river cruises. There are a lot of similarities, and if you enjoyed one I think you will enjoy the other.

Dining choices are better on Ocean cruises and, in my opinion, the entertainment on the Ocean cruise was disappointing. The ship design and layout is great, it was almost like having a number of very large living rooms, not vast open spaces like on some cruise lines. Not much in the way of shopping. We had some cruise credit and struggled to spend it - I would have liked some new swimwear and a polo shirt but it wasnt to be. The sauna/wet bucket/steam rooms are great, really enjoyed them.

Since you just returned from a VOC, I assume it was a short, regular cruise and not a World Cruise. The entertainment on World Cruise is significantly more varied than shorter cruises.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Since you just returned from a VOC, I assume it was a short, regular cruise and not a World Cruise. The entertainment on World Cruise is significantly more varied than shorter cruises.

What entertainment did they offer on your world cruise? I wouldnt have expected that much difference since the various sectors of the world cruise are also sold as regular short cruises as well.

7 hours ago, Nidec said:

What entertainment did they offer on your world cruise? I wouldnt have expected that much difference since the various sectors of the world cruise are also sold as regular short cruises as well.

You have a couple of points to consider - most Viking World Cruises don't have segments and they really step up the game on World Cruises.

Although they are one of the newer entrants into World Cruising, they are one of the few cruise lines that can sell the entire ship for a World Cruise:

- Inaugural 2018 WC, Sold out, so no segments

- 2019 WC, if memory is correct, they had 4 segments

- 2019/20 Ultimate 245-day WC:

- The London to L/A did not sell, so this one had multiple segments and short 14-day cruises

- The 119-night L/A-London had 4 segments (50% pax on WC)

- 2021 WC - Sold out, no segments, but cancelled due to COVID

- 2022 WC - Sold out, no segments

- 2023 WC - Sold out, no segments

- 2024 WC - 2 ships, with 1st ship almost sold out and 2nd ship well sold. No segments

We compare this to our first WC on Princess where < 20% of pax we completing the full WC

With respect to entertainment, we had a great selection of guest entertainers and the entertainment staff produced and presented individual and group shows in the Star Theatre, and also presented shows at 16:00 in the Living Room, at the piano. We also had a few game night evenings with Liar's Club, with 1 night featuring pax.

The lecturers are also expanded, including astronomers, whale & dolphin chap, etc.

Based on posts on the Viking Forum they also step up the meals from regular cruises, with way more specials (almost every day, sometimes both lunch & dinner). We had 3 tomahawk steak nights and a couple of T-bone specials, which are rarely, if ever offered on shorter cruises.

• Like 2

On 9/1/2022 at 8:46 AM, Nidec said:

I did one Viking Ocean and was very impressed with the entertainment.    The theatre is a nice size with good sight lines - Great cast singers - good Viking band that performs in the lounge and did an amazing 2 hour non stop dance party.    Great lectures and a real plus -- everything happening on the stage was broadcast live in your cabin or avail for replay.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, islandwoman said:

Do any of those sail all the way around the world?

I know Oceania does  RTW  cruises

I think it is 6 mths  plus

Some are just World cruises   90 days  & up

Also look at the number of ports vs sea days

Princess go FLL to FLL in 111 days

I am sure there are others 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, islandwoman said:

Do any of those sail all the way around the world?

Viking's does Ft Lauderdale to London, but if you also book the Trans-Atlantic prior to the World Cruise, you will do a complete round the world (about 150 nights).

Many of the cruise lines that do an entire round the world in 100 to 110 days spend less hours in ports and have way more sea days. To get a reasonable ratio of port/sea days, a number of overnights and double overnights and more hours per port, a complete circumnavigation of the globe requires at least 5 to 6 months.

We have completed a 104-night complete circumnavigation of the world and a 120-night from L/A to London. Until COVID hit, we saw way more of the World on the 120-night partial WC.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Viking's does Ft Lauderdale to London, but if you also book the Trans-Atlantic prior to the World Cruise, you will do a complete round the world (about 150 nights).

Many of the cruise lines that do an entire round the world in 100 to 110 days spend less hours in ports and have way more sea days. To get a reasonable ratio of port/sea days, a number of overnights and double overnights and more hours per port, a complete circumnavigation of the globe requires at least 5 to 6 months.

We have completed a 104-night complete circumnavigation of the world and a 120-night from L/A to London. Until COVID hit, we saw way more of the World on the 120-night partial WC.

Alternatively, if you stay on the Neptune, it ultimately leaves Fort Lauderdale and winds up in NYC after hitting Norway, Iceland and Greenland.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Mich3554 said:

Alternatively, if you stay on the Neptune, it ultimately leaves Fort Lauderdale and winds up in NYC after hitting Norway, Iceland and Greenland.

Thanks Michelle - since we had to cancel, I forgot they changed Neptune from Stockholm to crossing the Atlantic.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have any thoughts or recommendations for a World Cruise for solo passengers?

I am well accustomed to the solo supplement, but paying for a phantom double for >100 days is a pricey prospect. Do any lines that offer world cruises also have either solo accommodations or a reduced supplement for solos?

Also, what about onboard experience for solos?  I've read discussions on the HAL board where it seems solo cruisers have had mostly good experiences.

23 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Does anyone have any thoughts or recommendations for a World Cruise for solo passengers?

I am well accustomed to the solo supplement, but paying for a phantom double for >100 days is a pricey prospect. Do any lines that offer world cruises also have either solo accommodations or a reduced supplement for solos?

Also, what about onboard experience for solos?  I've read discussions on the HAL board where it seems solo cruisers have had mostly good experiences.

cruisemom, after rebooking two cancelled world cruises during covid, first on P&O and then HAL, I finally have a WC booked on Princess. I'll be a solo cruiser since there's no way I'll get She Who Must Be Obeyed on a ship for that long.  That being said, I am very happy with the price of an inside even paying the single supplement. 

In addition, Princess has guest laundromats on board.  With the Princess Plus fare you get the Plus drink package, one specialty dining, free wifi,  pre-paid gratuities, and $1,000 OBC for the world cruise.  Over the course of a 111 day cruise that adds up.  The Princess world cruise has a nice mix of sea days and port days, and the ship's size is a good fit for the way I like to cruise.

I've never had a bad experience cruising solo on Princess. I do what I want, when I want without any committee decisions involved.  One can cruise alone without being lonely.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I do not know  what the solo rate is now for the Oceania  cabins that are now designated  for Solos  but might be worth looking at

They are the obstructed view on deck 6  143 sq ft   if you could live with that for 6 mths  it may or may not work

Depends on where  & how long you want to be away & budget

RCL has a RTW cruise but  about 9 mths

I can only dream of a world cruise 😉

6 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Also, what about onboard experience for solos?  I've read discussions on the HAL board where it seems solo cruisers have had mostly good experiences

A world cruise is just an extended shorter cruise for me as a solo cruiser.  The longer one is on the ship, the more people one meets and interact with--and maybe even become friends.  The crew will get to know you and you will get to know the crew and that can improve the already good service.  

The society on a world cruise is much like society on land.  When one is around the same people for an extended time, expect to find some that you care not to associate.  That is not difficult to do.  Seated at a fixed dining table where your tablemates are not people you care to dine with for 100+ days, get your table changed.  This can be done in a non-embarrassing manner for both your tablemates and yourself.  "I have made some friends who have invited me to join them for dinner."  Doing something like that leaves no "hard feelings".  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

In addition, Princess has guest laundromats on board.  With the Princess Plus fare you get the Plus drink package, one specialty dining, free wifi,  pre-paid gratuities, and $1,000 OBC for the world cruise.  Over the course of a 111 day cruise that adds up.  The Princess world cruise has a nice mix of sea days and port days, and the ship's size is a good fit for the way I like to cruise.

Which ship does Princess use now for world cruises?  I am not a fan (to put it mildly) of their newest class.

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Which ship does Princess use now for world cruises?  I am not a fan (to put it mildly) of their newest class.

Last I heard they are using the Island & Coral Princess. Not sure which ship sails from US and which sails from Australia. Coral is the better ship since they ruined Island by installing additional cabins back aft about 7 yrs ago.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Coral is the better ship since they ruined Island by installing additional cabins back aft about 7 yrs ago

More cabins; more guests; not any more public space.  Plus, with the change in the ship's funnel appearance, it makes the ship look odd, I think.  

• Like 1

On 11/3/2022 at 8:47 AM, cruisemom42 said:

Holland America's supplement for solos is only about 60% for insides and oceanviews on their world and grand cruises. 

7 hours ago, boulders said:

Holland America's supplement for solos is only about 60% for insides and oceanviews on their world and grand cruises. 

That is great to hear, looks like Costa is now also charging double for solo cruisers, so have to look at HAL again.

17 hours ago, BVILady said:

That is great to hear, looks like Costa is now also charging double for solo cruisers, so have to look at HAL again.

Forgive me if I'm preaching to the choir here, but don't forget to look at the overall cost of the cruise too, not just the single supplement.  And, once you are booked in the perfect cabin, check the prices every day or so.  Two weekend ago I saw a price drop on my WC and called my TA.  I was able to get the basic cost of the cruise down a couple of thousand but then the TA picked up the tab for some "perks" that I had previously added to my booking, so I really garnered a savings.

Edited by SargassoPirate
  • Like 3

On 11/4/2022 at 3:36 PM, rkacruiser said:

More cabins; more guests; not any more public space.  Plus, with the change in the ship's funnel appearance, it makes the ship look odd, I think.  

More cabins; more guests; less public space. Fewer shows because they replaced one of the show venues with cabins. Also, you cannot walk all the way around the promenade deck.

Currently the Island sails from Ft. Lauderdale/LA and the Coral sails from Auckland/Sydney/Brisbane.   

• Thanks 1