Internal conflict….help only no judgement please

jenlock21

4 hours ago, Ommadawn said:

I want to know where people are buying $5 steaks. 🙂

Ok. I'll update the price. Steaks are ~$1500 (USD) per inside cabin and ~$20K (USD) per top suite. You're right they are a little more than $5. 😉

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, galleycook said:

We both got steaks and you are fine with your $5 version (inside cabin).

LOL--- You said   "if you paid $5 for the exact same steak, "

I said " I'll take my chances on it being a little overcooked"

FYI--- We are fortunate to be able to select any cabin we chose.

Your comment---" you are fine with your $5 version (inside cabin) " --

That's " below the belt " to those folks that can only afford an inside cabin. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

Please don't read between the lines. There is no hidden messages. Obviously everyone can afford different things in life. That is not a knock or slight against anyone. I'm not coveting someone who can afford to take one of the multi-month  world cruises. If they can do it, great. Some cruisers prefer to stay in an inside cabin and do many cruises per year as opposed to doing 1 cruise in a suite. Cruise however you want and in whatever way you can afford. The fact that the cruise lines build ships with a variety of cabin types indicates they understand this, yet I doubt anyone would suggest that they are  looking down on someone who can only afford an inside cabin knowing that the main dining room steak may not be prepared as well as it might be in Luminae. 

My analogy was only to address you taking exception to "especially". I think it is very reasonable for someone who paid $100 for the steak (even if means no more steaks for the next 2 years) to expect superior service. So yes because of the proportionally higher cost for a suite it is "especially". You are however free to disagree. Now whether someone wants to take advantage of it, is their prerogative. Like I have said in the past, we are low maintenance but we like the extra space and some of the other perks (Luminae as an example). We were in a Sky suite in the past and saw the butler once in 7 days. It didn't bother us. It was a lower end suite, but certainly we could have expected better guest service from him.

Lets just put this to bed and and hope the suggestions the OP was looking for and have been provided will help resolve the issue on the back cruise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pinboy said:

You do mean it is just above water, right? LOL

bon voyage

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, galleycook said:

1----"I think it is very reasonable for someone who paid $100 for the steak to expect superior service". 

2---- "you taking exception to "especially".

3---- " Lets just put this to bed "

1--- I agree 100 %

2----The term " especially " ( to me ) indicates ones feeling of " Superiority and Entitlement ".

3---How about we agree to " put this to bed " and perhaps we meet sometime and enjoy a steak together ? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, C-Dragons said:

If necessary, I'm sure if anyone was to ask at Guest Relations, the Suite Manager would be called.  😊

Of course they would.  My point was some are probably not aware that there is someone in charge of both the Retreat Hosts & Concierges.   Our experience has been  that some Suite Managers do not make themselves visible.  

I find it interesting that on our past 5 sailing we have had cards in our suite with contact info for the cabin attendant, Retreat Host, Retreat Concierges and Hotel Director.  None for the Suite Manager. 

On 5/3/2022 at 10:38 AM, jelayne said:

I know there is a Suite Manager on each ship but they frequently are out of sight.

Last 3 ships only 1 had a Suite Manager who was frequently in the Lounge or on the Dock when ship was in port interacting with guests.  The other 2 ships we had not idea who the SM was.

I suspect that “some” ships may have changed the old structure.  I was on an Apex TA last November.  If there was a suite manager, they never introduced themselves.  They were a lot of extra officer staff in the retreat lounge.  When they eliminated the Butler designation and implemented the Personal Concierge Host (or whatever they call it), I wonder if they  changed  the structure.  I was fortunate enough to win a bid for an Edge Villa and only experienced excellent service.  Less than 1000 passengers in our cruise.  

Seems silly to have a suite manager if Celebrity does not tell you.

45 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

1--- I agree 100 %

2----The term " especially " ( to me ) indicates ones feeling of " Superiority and Entitlement ".

3---How about we agree to " put this to bed " and perhaps we meet sometime and enjoy a steak together ? 

👍

On 5/1/2022 at 3:41 PM, hrhdhd said:

1. Don't leave a great tip if you haven't been satisfied with the service.

2. Talk to the Retreat Concierge about your second week and see if that host is assigned to the RS. If so, comment about what the issues are. (I'm not sure what they are; unless you're asking for specific things, the host isn't a mind reader.)

totally agree

3 hours ago, Pinboy said:

1--- I agree 100 %

Well, this excludes the vegan amoungst us... LOL

bon appetit and bon voyage

On 5/3/2022 at 11:48 AM, Pinboy said:

I always enjoy reading your posts-- 

Sounds like there are Managers for Managers, plus the Hotel Manager , etc. 

Don't you think it's best to " keep it simple " and at first just work it out with the Butler ?

Give him/her a chance to improve, then, if things do not, then it's time to bring your " concerns" to Management.

Otherwise, there would be a formal report attached to his/her file and " might " jeopardize their future position within the Company ? 

We all know--In order to achieve " Butler " level , they had to earn it.

IMO-- It's no " picnic " working on a cruise ship and some folks are impossible to please.

As a manager of people ordinarily I would agree. Give him notice and allow him to improve. However, in this situation it is not the passenger/guest's responsibility to do that. That would be very uncomfortable to many people.  S/he should go the the manager and explain the deficiencies imo..

• Like 1

On 5/1/2022 at 8:10 PM, keesar said:

A Catholic from the North would speak directly to the Butler  in question and talk about expectations.  Complaining on a forum like CC may make a person feel better but does not address resolution of the issue.  

I'm from the North and would never do that. Not my job, while on vacation, to instruct the staff.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2022 at 4:30 PM, jenlock21 said:

Let me reiterate that I was not looking for judgement, only advice. I did not know if someone on here had been through a similar situation and had something helpful to do. This is new to us in all of our years of   Cruising and our first cruise since Covid. I did not know if this was the new normal or not. That was all. I’m not trying to complain just to see if there was a solution that someone else had found helpful. That is the idea behind a forum. 

This forum is intended for this kind of discussion. Differing opinions offer you options you may not have considered. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Guppy99 said:

I'm from the North and would never do that. Not my job, while on vacation, to instruct the staff.

I am from the North and Catholic.  So I would make a request for what I would like from staff and hope the staff member would address the concern before taking it to the supervisor.  It seems that the OP is all worked up over this and needs to address  her concerns to the member in question.  

There is a dollar discount store that has a big sign. "$5 Delmonicos".  They are frozen.  Never tried one.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, galleycook said:

I sure hope no one is paying $100 for a salad 😄

I, for one, would pay $100 for a well made and rounded salad which includes items which I would not normally purchase i.e. truffles, pioppini and yartsa mushrooms to name a few... along with some exotic lettuce and other such items of note.

That would make for a $100 bowl of salad...

bon appetit and bon voyage

2 hours ago, Guppy99 said:

I Am from the mid-Atlantic states and always instruct My staff, until they understand what I require without my having to ask... LOL

Or they get booted and I hire someone to replace them...

bon voyage

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

I Am from the mid-Atlantic states and always instruct My staff, until they understand what I require without my having to ask... LOL

Or they get booted and I hire someone to replace them...

bon voyage

But Bo, you know the roles of your staff so you can instruct them.  The OP does not appear to know the role of a butler versus a room attendant and then wants the butler to have mind reading skills.😀

And you are making me hungry with your  description of the salad...

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, jagoffee said:

I suspect that “some” ships may have changed the old structure.  I was on an Apex TA last November.  If there was a suite manager, they never introduced themselves.  They were a lot of extra officer staff in the retreat lounge.  When they eliminated the Butler designation and implemented the Personal Concierge Host (or whatever they call it), I wonder if they  changed  the structure.  I was fortunate enough to win a bid for an Edge Villa and only experienced excellent service.  Less than 1000 passengers in our cruise.  

Seems silly to have a suite manager if Celebrity does not tell you.

The Suite Manager doesn’t usually interact with Suite guests (unless there is a need to.) They are in charge of everything and everyone connected to the Retreat, including choosing the Butlers and training them.

The Retreat Manager who interacts with the Suite guests reports to the Suite Manager.

44 minutes ago, keesar said:

I am from the North and Catholic.  So I would make a request for what I would like from staff and hope the staff member would address the concern before taking it to the supervisor.  It seems that the OP is all worked up over this and needs to address  her concerns to the member in question.  

There is a dollar discount store that has a big sign. "$5 Delmonicos".  They are frozen.  Never tried one.  

I guess this would not make you uncomfortable, so good for you. Many people would be very uncomfortable doing this, no matter how it's done. So, they should feel free to go another way and appeal to management. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, C-Dragons said:

The Suite Manager doesn’t usually interact with Suite guests (unless there is a need to.) They are in charge of everything and everyone connected to the Retreat, including choosing the Butlers and training them.

The Retreat Manager who interacts with the Suite guests reports to the Suite Manager.

Several years ago on the Solstice Class, I was introduced to a Suite Manager who was supervising the Butlers.  As I recall this allowed the Michael’s Club Concierge to focus on other duties.

Thank you for the explanation of the current structure.  Just because I did not see or meet anyone with that title certainly does not mean that there was not one.  I suspect they might even have a different title at this point.   My Personal Host was outstanding, so I would only had good things to say.  

I will pay more attention next cruise.