Boarding Time...Can it be earlier?

Hello...We are scheduled for a 1pm boarding time. Prior to Covid we always went earlier.  I didn't know if since Covid they are more strict on sticking to your times?  Thanks in advance

Just now, royalfan said:

Prior to Covid we always went earlier.  I didn't know if since Covid they are more strict on sticking to your times? 

Check in time strictness varies by port, day, ship, port staff and maybe some other factors.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Many, many threads on this subject.  

Bottom line...yes, you might get on earlier....but if they are enforcing it (and many are) then you are on your own to stand in line and wait outside.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I'm boarding grandeur Wednesday and the earliest time is 1230. My hotel check out time is 11 am. I'm sure I will arrive early. First time grandeur out of Galveston...inspections? Loading?  Idk .. but we start late. I bet I wouldnt be alone arriving there. I expect to wait. 

Passed my covid test .. ready! Waiting for my ship to come in as they say, arriving g from Barbados. 

• Like 1

As others have stated, I have seen check-in times strictly enforced to staff not even looking at your check-in time. Lately it seems they are enforcing times more often, which I assume is due to the increased capacities. I have only cruised out of Port Miami, Port Everglades and Port Canaveral post COVID. My experiences at all three ports have been similar as mentioned above. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bluegirlum said:

I assume it allows me to pay more for the privilege of boarding early?

Yes, though the value of that is subjective and anyone with the earliest check in time will board about the same time.

• Like 3

If everyone shows up at 11:00 and it takes longer to check all the documents (vaccines etc) the lines will get huge and people will be in crowds.  The new check in time is really nice that the crowds are now controlled, and you don't need to wait an hour or two to be processed.  So......everyone, just follow the times, and that will be great.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

The new check in time is really nice that the crowds are now controlled, and you don't need to wait an hour or two to be processed.  So......everyone, just follow the times, and that will be great.

In this me me me, I'm more important, I'm ultra-mostest-highest level cruiser, so I should get head-of-the-line privileges society?    

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cajunfla said:

In this me me me, I'm more important, I'm ultra-mostest-highest level cruiser, so I should get head-of-the-line privileges society?    

No, anyone can pick the earliest time slots until they are full.

I believe his point was that having an assigned time makes things go more smoothly.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, OCSC Mike said:

No, anyone can pick the earliest time slots until they are full.

I believe his point was that having an assigned time makes things go more smoothly.

I got his point, and I agree with it.   MY point is many don't want to follow the assigned times.

• Like 1

I prefer to check in shortly before the cabins are expected to be open. Why board at 11 am and lug your carry on around for lunch and then while waiting for the cabin to become available (used to be 1 pm, not it's 2 pm but they seem to be anywhere from 1:30-2:00 pm)

7 minutes ago, wolfcathorse said:

I prefer to check in shortly before the cabins are expected to be open. Why board at 11 am and lug your carry on around for lunch and then while waiting for the cabin to become available (used to be 1 pm, not it's 2 pm but they seem to be anywhere from 1:30-2:00 pm)

Personal preference. Our carry-on bag is usually a beach bag or small backpack and doesn't require any lugging. We like to get on the ship as early as possible.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Colorado Buffalo said:

What is the earliest time passengers are assigned ?

We have the 11:30 slot. Who's ahead of us ?  Is 11:30 considered one of the earlier times?

It may vary by port/ship. 10:30 was the earliest on my Harmony cruise out of PC at the end of the month. Oddly enough, it was 11:00 when we first checked in (at midnight when check-in opened) and then 10:30 showed up a few days later.

Edited by OCSC Mike