Celebrity Sky Suite Refurbish Surprises

woldridge

51 minutes ago, LucyTX said:

I see a clock beside the bed, was that in the room?  

Outside chairs don't look comfortable at all.  I love sitting out and reading...I'm so disappointed.  We're sailing in sky suite on Summit soon.  

No, the clock is a projection clock we bring from home. 

The outside chairs are hard. If I sit on that bench thing and put my feet up on the window as there are no stools, my back gets imbedded by the back metal bar. Lots of pillows from the too help!

5 minutes ago, 39august said:

Could you put the desk chair on the balcony and bring one of those chairs in for the desk? They look to be smaller than the desk chair so I'm thinking they might fit. 

That is a thought, I will have to try that. Thanks!

22 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

So is this suite pretty much that same on all class ships or just the ships which are in same class your the one your sailing? Thank you for your feedback.  I have a sky suite booked next year and it will be my first time sailing Celebrity

The sky suites next to the penthouse rooms on the M class ships are amazing. I like the Sky Suites on the S Class better. Have not been on the Edge class yet.

Suites vary, even on the same ships.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, canderson said:

Yes, one of many now classic Hoppen design concepts, often mentioned by first-timers to her Revolution.

Hoppen design is awful.  The colors in that room are terrible.,reminds me of a college dorm that needs seriois updating.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, woldridge said:

They all need to go. Add nothing to the room. Below is what I see when sitting outside. This plant is crazy heavy to move.1FD7B242-819B-4FD0-8FAB-7605FDA17BD4.thumb.jpeg.ff99eaccbfa4f6b774d810d1a9be2b4b.jpeg

It was funny that on disembarkation day the room steward asked if he could remove the plant so it could be watered.

• Haha 3

What a design disaster! What does Hoppen have against shelves and drawers in the bathroom?! Wait, they might be practical. Let’s put useless junk around to take up space…

And those deck chairs look awful. Ask your Retreat Host for a lounger. Or two.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, canderson said:

How do you feel about that collection of chachkis occupying your counter space?

2 hours ago, woldridge said:

They all need to go. Add nothing to the room. Below is what I see when sitting outside. This plant is crazy heavy to move.1FD7B242-819B-4FD0-8FAB-7605FDA17BD4.thumb.jpeg.ff99eaccbfa4f6b774d810d1a9be2b4b.jpeg

We always gather up all the chotchkys on the first day and move them to a location out of sight. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, woldridge said:

Speaking of the bathroom, there are only 3 cam lights: 2 over the sink and one behind the door. There is no lighting in the shower/tub area.  There is no storage by the sink or under the sink. Only storage is on opposite wall behind the sink.

Long arms are helpful as the toilet paper is across from the toilet, under the sink.

7BE31001-0E4A-4BDA-B1B7-CD62B9CF234E.thumb.jpeg.e4fd50ded1279803084e3f6123dffe11.jpeg97C86087-808E-4202-ADBF-0BB7B1F3D855.thumb.jpeg.693aa65651c817156d602e81e7d8d484.jpeg768E900D-AE46-4A31-AB9D-81E84E0DD77B.thumb.jpeg.fa84f0798331eba7b861108d90e0d837.jpeg

The lack of a grab bar is just dangerous. Because the tub wall is so tall and the lack of a grab bar made it impossible to get into the tub to take a shower. I had issues but was able to get in the tub. Our retreat host and her boss arrange for my wife to use an unoccupied room that had a real shower. We have booked a sky suite for a 2023 cruise but it was a handicapped room so we should not have any issues.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, woldridge said:

Moving on, all walls except ceiling are no longer magnetic so leave those magnets at home. The entry area to the room has 5 knobs for hanging things, but no other hanging hooks in room. 

Closets are good size with hanging area on one side and a shelf’s (with small safe) and 2 deep drawers on the other side.

Of note, there is no full length mirror nor any make up mirror in the room.171BD3B0-BEDB-4C53-9751-30F55816F693.thumb.jpeg.074d9d7ae57c326dd0aae934867abf11.jpegE1486970-CF93-4527-B0A5-FE70EAD844FB.thumb.jpeg.3c857ba0379bf3c1552e3a3f8c53264c.jpegFC542903-6C14-4037-A683-5717FE5C9987.thumb.jpeg.a2f7fb7ac9f1a380a7cc0c4866c3b16a.jpeg

OK, no magnetic walls, that's weird, I just got off the Edge a few weeks ago, and the walls look pretty much like yours with the same pale gray fake wood grain, but the magnetic hooks worked just fine. Do you think they covered the original walls with look alike non-metal paneling? You would think for fire safety it would have to be mostly metal.

12 minutes ago, raudacruise said:

What a design disaster! What does Hoppen have against shelves and drawers in the bathroom?! Wait, they might be practical. Let’s put useless junk around to take up space…

And those deck chairs look awful. Ask your Retreat Host for a lounger. Or two.

OK, so another I don't get it. The bathroom in our Edge Sky Suite was awesome, tons of storage. There's a bank of drawers beneath the sink and a small wall of shelves on either side (admittedly narrow, but similar to S-class Sky Suite) - I loved that bathroom, even the odd footbath tub.

We got around the light at night issue as well, but I don't remember exactly how. The toilet has its own little Fortress of Solitude and we may have left the light on in that space. The biggest complaint I had was I kept forgetting which way to open the tub/shower door and I whacked myself a couple of times.

Also, the vast majority of the tschotchkes had gone bye-bye from our room, maybe one or two small decorative items left that didn't take up too much space.

I think the original concept likely worked out better than the refits.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

We always gather up all the chotchkys on the first day and move them to a location out of sight. 

We  ask the attendant to remove all the fake Hoppen  dead looking coral, faje plants, and vases that are not able to hold water..it all goes.  On EDGE, we put a fresh floral arrangement in the lighted  niche by the closet,  and add some other touches to counteract the boring Hoppen look..  The   "way too many pillows" go under the bed.  But what can you do with grey and orange..? def a college dorm color scheme,

We could never book that room..bathtub too high!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Beachlover1989 said:

I am at a complete loss at the changes they made upon revolutionizing the sky suites.  Reduce storage, remove night lights, remove mirrors, add mirrors that are too high, and chairs that don't fit.

Oh that gold color is awful 

All of this is what happens when you hire a designer who has never cruised, has no clue what cruisers need/want, and has no intention of ever using the spaces she designs.  Her choices may work in hip, urban boutique hotels where guests are choosing accommodation more for style/bragging rights than function, but on a cruise ship they are an utter and epic fail!

• Like 9

Your balcony furniture is way better than what we had on the Summit in Nov 2021. We were in 6132.

Very disappointed with the new design.  Not very functional.   Before the “upgrade” there were walk in closets with lights in them.   They also had shelves in the bathroom that were eliminated.   

I made a comment on another thread that the walls were no longer magnetic and many claimed that I was wrong.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

7228EB91-55DB-4055-906D-AE678EB90E17.jpeg

Edited by miched

1 hour ago, AF-1 said:

So is this suite pretty much that same on all class ships or just the ships which are in same class your the one your sailing? Thank you for your feedback.  I have a sky suite booked next year an d it will be my first time sailing Celebrity

The sky suites are revolutionized on the Millennium and the Summit.   The Infinity and Constellation are not.  These are the M class ships.   The plan, from what I understand is to revolutionize the Infinity and Constellation but I don't know if or when it will happen now.  The Solstice class and E class ships are totally different.   When we first cruised on Summit after the refurb it actually looked like they forgot the finishing touches.   We were disappointed.  So we're going to the Constellation next year. 

1 hour ago, miched said:

Your balcony furniture is way better than what we had on the Summit in Nov 2021. We were in 6132.

Very disappointed with the new design.  Not very functional.   Before the “upgrade” there were walk in closets with lights in them.   They also had shelves in the bathroom that were eliminated.   

I made a comment on another thread that the walls were no longer magnetic and many claimed that I was wrong.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

7228EB91-55DB-4055-906D-AE678EB90E17.jpeg

Definitely not magnetic walls. It is like they put this gray wood grain “stuff” over the existing walls the ceiling is the only thing magnetic inside the room. Have to put the “Deep Sleep”sign on the metal holders by the desk

11 minutes ago, woldridge said:

Definitely not magnetic walls. It is like they put this gray wood grain “stuff” over the existing walls the ceiling is the only thing magnetic inside the room. Have to put the “Deep Sleep”sign on the metal holders by the desk

You can see those holders  in this photo.   The inside of the entrance door isn't magnetic so that deep sleep won’t stick to it.  The other option would be to lay it on desk top.    We sailed in a SS on the Constellation  after the Summit and loved the original cabin.  It had more storage in the bathroom and a chair that fit under the desk along with the full length mirror.   The lighting was also much better.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

28173DD6-6EEF-44AD-8A29-1A84B25054DC.jpeg

Here is a picture of the very shallow drawer that is the desk, , and also in the night stands.   Useless except for small items.  You can see the depth by the stuff in it.

I think they made the drawers that shallow so the chair would fit under the desk.   🤗

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

7DEAD88B-3E7F-4F79-98A4-B16079B52A57.jpeg

Edited by miched

We were in 6125 on the Millie.  Same, same.  Except, the only plug in the bathroom was in the ceiling.  Good luck if you are not tall.  Not only is the furniture unattractive and dysfunctional, it’s hard as a rock.  No bathroom night light, no shower grab bars, and no full length mirror.  We made due by rearranging the little furniture and repurposed the extra pillows.  This was our first time on an M class ship, and probably our last.

Edited by 81Zoomie

I got hurt pretty badly getting out of the infamous CS tub on Summit in October.  I was finally able to get up but was horrified I'd have to bang the walls for help.  Never again.  Since I feel can't get in/out of any M-class (Summit) bathtub safely, I too was subsequently given the key to a shower down the hall.  From cabin SS 6132, that's from rear elevators to just past the center elevators, carrying your stuff.  Very college dorm in a whole other way.  Going forward, if I can't book either 6145/46, the two sky suites beside the PHs, suites will be out for me M-class.  Maybe a handicapped sky suite, though.  BTW, I thought the revolution changes were sad.  I used to love napping on the sofa.  The rock hard futon-looking things in there now are not worthy successors. 

Picture is excess clutter in CS.

20210920_185553.jpg

Edited by goofysmom99

@woldridge is your Hotel Director still Vedran?  If so, please give him feedback, particularly about the lack of a grab bar.  You’ll find him a friendly ear about that.  He also will understand the need for a grab bar in the tub.  We discussed it with him in November, when he helped to reopen Reflection.  

He is usually a rather visible HD, and typically walks nearly all the public spaces early in the morning looking for things that need attention.  He tends to take a mid-morning break in the Cafe Al Bacio.