NCL just cancelled my cruise

2 hours ago, hallux said:

I'm not saying it's right.

A contract that the pax. agreed to, and one that actually says cancellation of the cruise is a possibility.

It’s called a Contract of Adhesion, since you have no opportunity to change it in any way.

If you want to sail, you “accept” the contract, which is written in a way that gives you virtually no rights.

1 hour ago, ace2542 said:

I will take that. Cunard Queen Mary 2 because I think a charter agency might struggle to fill that particular ship.

Fair enough.  That's also a little different line and is less susceptible to chartering anyway.  However, you can't tell me that a charter couldn't convince Cunard to cancel bookings and do the charter if given the chance...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jetact said:

I thought the added Kiss cruise was on the Jewel for the 24th.

Yup, you’re right.  I had my ships backwards.  Jewel in October for Kiss, Gem in February for the Panama Canal.   Is mixing up ships a sign you’ve got too many cruises booked?  DH says yes, but Kiss was his idea, so I blame him.  🙂

2 minutes ago, bookbabe said:

Yup, you’re right.  I had my ships backwards.  Jewel in October for Kiss, Gem in February for the Panama Canal.   Is mixing up ships a sign you’ve got too many cruises booked?  DH says yes, but Kiss was his idea, so I blame him.  🙂

Didn’t Kiss just turn 100?.

Heck, they’re older than Mick Jagger!! 😁😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

18 hours ago, glennmartin said:

fully agree and as they have already cancelled the cruise you cannot move to another date just had to rebook at a cost of £10,000 total

There's just so many variables these days to completely 🤬 up a vacation.

I'm beginning to think that planning ahead can be more stressful than waiting for a last-minute deal.

• Like 1

I am disappointed ... I booked with a credit I had from a previous cruise so I have to use it on NCL... of course the fares have gone up since I booked this cruise.. I understand this is always a possibility but it is still frustrating.... btw, I haven't been notified yet that the cruise has been canceled - thanks to the OP that posted.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

This is absolutely ridiculous!! This cruise was almost full and for them to now boot everyone off who already had it booked is not acceptable. Now we have to cancel plane and hotel reservations and HOPE that we can get our money back. A 10% FCC is not nearly enough to compensate for their shoddy business practice. No more NCL for us.

I completely agree with you, but it could be worse. A few years ago my wife and I were spending a relaxing holiday at a resort in Mexico, when midway through our vacation, a temporary stage was set up, followed by busloads of "fans", and the entire resort was transformed. I wish that our rooms were cancelled in advance, instead of being inadvertent participants in a "partial charter" music festival.

We never saw it coming.

• Like 2

Could be worse - you could have been on a Royal Caribbean cruise that was cancelled because they decided to simply change ship deployments.  Point is - it can happen on ANY cruise line (and, yes, I DID refer to this thread in that one)...

13 minutes ago, hallux said:

Could be worse - you could have been on a Royal Caribbean cruise that was cancelled because they decided to simply change ship deployments.  Point is - it can happen on ANY cruise line (and, yes, I DID refer to this thread in that one)...

All cruise lines do that as well, including NCL. We had our Epic cruise for 2023 cancelled because they changed from 7 day to longer itineraries.

Worked out well for us. We used the discount we were given for a 10 day cruise at about the same price. 🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Curious what would happen if you had a cruise booked and booked flights independent of the cruise line.  It's unlikely you would have a need for the flights with the cruise being the sole purpose of booking them, would travel insurance cover the flights or are you effectively out of pocket for the cost?

17 minutes ago, KonkyWonky said:

Curious what would happen if you had a cruise booked and booked flights independent of the cruise line.  It's unlikely you would have a need for the flights with the cruise being the sole purpose of booking them, would travel insurance cover the flights or are you effectively out of pocket for the cost?

When it happened to me, I was offered a few hundred dollars to cover any nonrefundable costs (hotel and/or airfare) that weren't covered by insurance. I recall seeing a letter for one of these cancelled cruises and I think they got a similar offer.

15 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Maybe in the short run, but when cruisers who have already booked them will never book them again, that is a long term loss. I know we will never, ever consider again the river cruise line that chartered our ship out from under us.

You best not cruise any line ever again then, they all do it.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SeaShark said:

Wonder of the Seas, MSC Meraviglia, and Carnival Magic are all still sailing from Port Canaveral on Jan 22, 2023. You could simply switch to one of those ships and still use the same airfare. No need for all the hand-wringing drama.

That would seem to solve the problem..

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

That would seem to solve the problem..

2 hours ago, SeaShark said:

Wonder of the Seas, MSC Meraviglia, and Carnival Magic are all still sailing from Port Canaveral on Jan 22, 2023. You could simply switch to one of those ships and still use the same airfare. No need for all the hand-wringing drama.

I'll wring my hands all I want, thank you very much.

Neither of those cruise lines has the itinerary we signed up for, nor the included beverage and dining packages. Nor are we members of any of their repeat cruisers programs, as we are with NCL.

Plus, this was on the new Prima, a ship that we have waited a long time to experience. 

Plus, we were traveling with three other couples. All of them would have to agree to go on another ship without the perks...which we later found out none were willing to do.

I'll now return to my hand wringing...

Edited by schmoopie17
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, ontheweb said:

We felt the same way about the river cruise line that chartered the boat out from under us after final payment. I told them I no longer wanted their junk mail or junk spam. And we would never consider them again. I don't know how much cruise lines realize what they do to customers, and how many they make into potential passengers who would never consider them again!

I don't understand why people do this to companies they don't like.  Postage isn't free.

Instead,  sign up everyone in your household and all your friends.   

1 hour ago, schmoopie17 said:

I'll wring my hands all I want, thank you very much.

Neither of those cruise lines has the itinerary we signed up for, nor the included beverage and dining packages. Nor are we members of any of their repeat cruisers programs, as we are with NCL.

Plus, this was on the new Prima, a ship that we have waited a long time to experience. 

Plus, we were traveling with three other couples. All of them would have to agree to go on another ship without the perks...which we later found out none were willing to do.

I'll now return to my hand wringing...

Fair enough, I hope y'all find a solution and a suitable trip.

2 hours ago, KonkyWonky said:

I book my own flights. For longer flights (i.e. over to the US) I book using points as they are then cancellable for a very small charge which would be covered by NCL. We usually aren't just doing a cruise in that situation so would likely use the flights anyway.

In Europe NCL's compensation covers the majority of any potential loss, so I am more comfortable booking cash flights in that situation.

We have had a number of cancelled or rearranged cruises (pre Covid) but they were all over a year out, so no flights booked. During covid flights were cancellable. I would have had a loss on the Prima in August, which I knew was a risk when booking. Luckily the airline were still allowing free cancellations, so we got that all returned as a credit.

The cancellations being discussed here are past the point where people start booking flights, which isn't usually the case (as my experience shows). It is very unfortunate for the people involved, especially as reorganising a trip on the Prima is not a cheap exercise at the moment.

I really like NCL ships/cruises/offers but this time there are not alot of choices leaving from Port Canaveral ... I booked using a FCC so I have no choice but to book on NCL... I live near Port Canaveral so thats where i wanted to sail from...has everyone gotten a notice about the cancellation? so far I haven't.   

47 minutes ago, C cruise said:

I really like NCL ships/cruises/offers but this time there are not alot of choices leaving from Port Canaveral ... I booked using a FCC so I have no choice but to book on NCL... I live near Port Canaveral so thats where i wanted to sail from...has everyone gotten a notice about the cancellation? so far I haven't.   

My notice came yesterday morning. Did you happen to book through a travel agent?

2 minutes ago, C cruise said:

yes, I did...

That explains it. When you use a TA, NCL will send the cnx notice to them, then they need to notify you.

Unless you want to switch to another week on the Prima, you have the option of the Norwegian Escape from Port Canaveral. OR...if you don't mind a little drive, you could sail on the Norwegian Dawn out of Tampa.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

Unless you want to switch to another week on the Prima, you have the option of the Norwegian Escape from Port Canaveral. OR...if you don't mind a little drive, you could sail on the Norwegian Dawn out of Tampa.

I am checking out both the Escape and the Dawn...

On 5/5/2022 at 9:11 PM, CILCIANRQTS said:

Pax had a contract with NCL, but because NCL has all the lawyers, they write  the contract so they can get away with anything they choose.

Every contract in the world should be possible to cancel. that is absolutely normal.

The only question is about compensation for the cancellation. But to seriously expect that a contract may not be cancelled at all is naive.