What is in ship Medical Center for Covid?

9 hours ago, Homosassa said:

Here is additional information released by Pfizer about a clinical trial testing the development of disease after exposure to Covid. It was found there was not significant difference between the use of Paxlovid and a placebo.

The article also goes over again the limited indication of use of the drug under its EUA.

Paxlovid will not be available on cruise ships any time in the near future.

https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-release/press-release-detail/pfizer-shares-top-line-results-phase-23-epic-pep-study

Seriously? Did you read the entire study? This is contra publication. They show the weakest result. Many other studies were done with better results. This is aimed at academics and medical professionals. 

I know of an actual use of Paxlovid. She was 73, with a couple comorbidities. Doc gave her the antiviral. Next day she began to feel better. Second day she lost all symptoms. Left quarantine 3 days later; ..... negative. 

Maybe that would have happened anyway? But I want access to Paxlovid at first symptoms. I am also in 70's with 3 serious comorbidities. Still not released by my doctor to sail. If med center on board had Paxlovid, I could risk sailing. 

11 hours ago, generichandle said:

But I want access to Paxlovid at first symptoms. I am also in 70's with 3 serious comorbidities. Still not released by my doctor to sail. If med center on board had Paxlovid, I could risk sailing. 

@generichandleSee this post on another CC board. I’d talk with my doctor.

All the Best!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, generichandle said:

Seriously? Did you read the entire study? This is contra publication. They show the weakest result. Many other studies were done with better results. This is aimed at academics and medical professionals. 

I guess the correct question is, did you read and understand the article?

The article is about a phase 2 study under an Investigational New Drug application that Pfizer was conducting to expand the use of Paxlovid in the general population.

This study arm  was specifically studying if Paxolvid could prevent the development of disease  in someone that was exposed to Covid by a household contact. The study subjects had not yet tested positive or  developed any symptoms.

Understand? NO positive test, NO symptoms, ONLY exposure to someone in the household who is sick.

It was found that Paxlovid was NOT  significantly better in preventing the subjects  becoming ill than subjects given a placebo.

Therefore, the IND phase two study was stopped and this particular indication for use (prophylaxis) will not progress to Phase 3 (more study subjects and possibly refinement of dosing) and will not be submitted in a New Drug Application for marketing approval.

And yes, it is aimed at scientists and doctors? Who do you think does the reviews at the US FDA or keeps track of this type of thing outside the Agency?

Edited by Homosassa
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, generichandle said:

Maybe that would have happened anyway? But I want access to Paxlovid at first symptoms. I am also in 70's with 3 serious comorbidities. Still not released by my doctor to sail. If med center on board had Paxlovid, I could risk sailing. 

Go back and read my post #16.

It will refresh your memory on the conditions for use under the US FDA Emergency Use Authorization (and from other posts I have read on other thread, The US requirements are the same as other regulating bodies'  requirements elsewhere in the world.

Also read any sections on Fitness to Travel on any cruise lines Terms and Conditions  for any cruise line you may wish to cruise on.

Also reread post #35 (Wendy-Europe). It also states the obvious at this point.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Back to the topic at hand,   I would not play the guessing game here.

We've had one first hand experience with medical emergencies with our kids,  and unfortunately the medical staff wasn't really 'threre' for us when it seems like they could have been.   

This was back in the day though and things are different now, so for Covid remedies that might be available,    who really knows?

• Like 1

See this comment from a recent passenger aboard Royal Princess' May 2-14 sailing. They tested positive, and when inquiring about Paxlovid, it was offered for $750 provided their liver function test (another additional cost) was okay. I do not know if this would also be the case with HAL, but wanted to pass it along.

Edited by syesmar
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, syesmar said:

See this comment from a recent passenger aboard Royal Princess' May 2-14 sailing. They tested positive, and when inquiring about Paxlovid, it was offered for $750 provided their liver function test (another additional cost) was okay. I do not know if this would also be the case with HAL, but wanted to pass it along.

Indeed, best to stay out of the medical facility on all cruise lines unless something truly life threatening.

Was strung by a honey bee on the small finger, last March, while sitting in FLL port. Naturally some immediate pain and swelling. Stinger pulled out correctly and ice applied. Really only needed a little Benadryl as swelling continued. Went to the medical facility on this X vessel to seek same, since I spent 28yrs as an RN in a major city ER. I was immediately told that it would be $142 to see the physician who might prescribe Benadryl! Turned around, went back to my cabin, remembered that I had brought some Alka-Seltzer Plus which has 2 mg of antihistamine in it and along with the ice " healed thyself" over the next two days. LOL

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PROCRUISE said:

Indeed, best to stay out of the medical facility on all cruise lines unless something truly life threatening.

Was strung by a honey bee on the small finger, last March, while sitting in FLL port. Naturally some immediate pain and swelling. Stinger pulled out correctly and ice applied. Really only needed a little Benadryl as swelling continued. Went to the medical facility on this X vessel to seek same, since I spent 28yrs as an RN in a major city ER. I was immediately told that it would be $142 to see the physician who might prescribe Benadryl! Turned around, went back to my cabin, remembered that I had brought some Alka-Seltzer Plus which has 2 mg of antihistamine in it and along with the ice " healed thyself" over the next two days. LOL

Why would you need a prescription for Benadryl? Isn't it an over the counter drug?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Why would you need a prescription for Benadryl? Isn't it an over the counter drug?

You don't need the prescription.

The fee is for the doctor who will evaluate the medical complaint and treat as necessary (might include  a OTC or Rx drug).

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

You don't need the prescription.

The fee is for the doctor who will evaluate the medical complaint and treat as necessary (might include  a OTC or Rx drug).

Pretty reasonable charge considering what it might cost for an evaluation in a clinic in the US.  Or what those visiting Canadá and not covered by our health care would have to pay here 

Just now, ontheweb said:
1 hour ago, *Miss G* said:

You would think Benadryl would be a basic med available in the ship shop.

Or the person who self-diagnosed that Benadryl would be all that was necessary could have 

bought it in a pharmacy while on shore.

29 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Or the person who self-diagnosed that Benadryl would be all that was necessary could have 

bought it in a pharmacy while on shore.

Yep, after TWO days at sea! Naturally no one needs a Rx for Benadryl which is why I figured the medical facility would have it.

On 5/14/2022 at 11:08 AM, JRG said:

Back to the topic at hand,   I would not play the guessing game here.

We've had one first hand experience with medical emergencies with our kids,  and unfortunately the medical staff wasn't really 'threre' for us when it seems like they could have been.   

This was back in the day though and things are different now, so for Covid remedies that might be available,    who really knows?

all I gotta say is one person knows and just be careful what you say

41 minutes ago, PROCRUISE said:

Yep, after TWO days at sea! Naturally no one needs a Rx for Benadryl which is why I figured the medical facility would have it.

It's simply medical lingo. DR's prescribe many drugs that are OTC medications. Any one in the health care field understands this. My wife is a pharmacist. She gets OTC prescriptions all the time. 

• Like 1

Someone requesting a systemic medication for a condition where a topical ointment would work for most people would be a red flag that someone may be having more of an allergic reaction than is normal for most people.

Benadryl is used when an epipen may not be available.

Of course a doctor would wish to evaluate the condition.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2022 at 6:51 PM, Oceansaway17 said:

actually yes.  I was on a bus tour in UK and the guide said if anyone is low on medicine, he can go and get some since it is free to UK citizens and he can on behalf of folks on the tour if they show the prescription bottle.

It's not free. Paid for with exceedingly high taxes.

• Thanks 2

On 5/11/2022 at 3:20 PM, Oceansaway17 said:

well that just gives me food for thought.  If carrying USA passengers, then have the medicine that is allowed for them too.

Me thinks some of the medical facilities are a joke perhaps.

I agree totally. I am Chinese, so HAL must provide herbal medicines while I am on board any of their ships. 

• Haha 2

On 5/17/2022 at 9:51 AM, Oceansaway17 said:

all I gotta say is one person knows and just be careful what you say

You don't know how right you are.

If it helps passengers should make sure you emergency is within dr. hours too,   and not a few minutes after the shift ends.

Otherwise you may be left with a butterfy bandage and whatever is in the machine hanging on the wall outside the lower deck.  We've been there and sadly,   we were disappointed

Thank you for your service though.

• Like 1

On 5/13/2022 at 6:14 PM, dave34 said:

Ok back to the question, do the ships have anything to treat Covid besides isolation? 

To answer your question- NO.  Some will provide “Tylenol” and that’s it.  Others will provide cough drops or a DayQuil like preparation.  They rely on time and isolation.  If you want to be comfortable, bring your own medications and a thermometer.  Some bring an Oxygen measuring device.