Viator or Tours by Locals?

Sorry no idea, as I haven't used them. But because you posted there names I will look at what they offer.

Thank you, always like tip to search for tour ideas.

Hope someone can help you.

Good Luck

• Like 1

They are just booking agencies, so if you trust their brand, you are trusting they will have suitable tours on their lists run by reputable providers. Their tour criteria would be the same whether it be North America, Europe, or even down here.

We have used Viator for a couple of activities in the US, and it all worked fine for us. For tours here, I am more likely to book directly with the tour operator.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, luv2ndhalf said:

Hello! We prefer taking private tours…. We have used both Viator and Tours by Locals, but never in Australia or New Zealand.

Anyone had good or bad experiences with either?

On a cruise we definitely prefer booking with the cruise line! I definitely want the assurance that the ship will wait for me if delayed. That being said, it depends how long the excursion is. If it’s just a couple of hours then I’d consider private (and have done this). 

however I notice princess are advertising the price guarantee now. If you find same tour cheaper they will refund twice the price difference. I haven’t seen this before.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, luv2ndhalf said:

Hello! We prefer taking private tours…. We have used both Viator and Tours by Locals, but never in Australia or New Zealand.

We used Viator in New Zealand for a cruise at the end of 2018 with great success and not one problem. The ports we used them for were Dunedin, Tauranga and Auckland. The local companies that Viator used were excellent and the guides were wonderful. I would look for excursions through local companies as well just to compare.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, luv2ndhalf said:

Pre covid, we used Viator in Australia, specifically Sydney area and New Zealand and were very satisfied.  I have also used them in Europe and US.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

as Geoff said, Viator & Tripadvisor and the ilk are booking agents, & they operate by taking commission on the bookings they take for the tour operators. They offer some guarantees about making it back onboard, or catching up to ship, or for refunds on not making it to the port, which may be comforting.

In NZ we have used Zealandia, Shore Trips & Tours & in Dunedin Tourworks, for our tours.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We have used Viator all over the world including Mediterranean also airport transfers with an executive car. Always great tours. We plan to use in upcoming RCL transpacific cruise in Australia and NZ. Nice that payment isn’t due until 24hrs before tour. Also will use on our 2023 cruises in Europe. I have full faith in their tours. We have also used Cruise Excursions.com. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some good some awful  We booked a tours by Local in one country and the tour guide was blind???? she had her husband along to tell her where we were by which time we has passed and it was too late for her information.   Very upsetting as I had 24 people booked with me 

• Thanks 2

Funny one. I was part of a group that had organised a city guide for a tour around Calgary. Our driver was brilliant through the Canadian Rockies, but was upfront that he only knew the way to the airport as that is how most of his groups ended their trip.

Anyway, we pick-up the city guide at the designated spot. She speaks to the driver in english and gets set-up with the mic. She then introduced herself in German. Yes, when the booking was made, they provided a city guide for a coach load of Austrians. 

• Haha 7

11 hours ago, arxcards said:

Funny one. I was part of a group that had organised a city guide for a tour around Calgary. Our driver was brilliant through the Canadian Rockies, but was upfront that he only knew the way to the airport as that is how most of his groups ended their trip.

Anyway, we pick-up the city guide at the designated spot. She speaks to the driver in english and gets set-up with the mic. She then introduced herself in German. Yes, when the booking was made, they provided a city guide for a coach load of Austrians. 

Did she revert to English once she knew you weren't Austrian?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Did she revert to English once she knew you weren't Austrian?

She could speak mid -level english with a heavy accent and tried really hard to do a good job of it. We got the gist of what she was saying. Seems that every time we stopped to go and check something out, she would start up in German again when we set off again, followed by shouts of ENGLISH from the back of the coach. 

• Haha 1

We have used both Viator and Tours by Locals.  I especially  like TBL because if something happens and your ship is either delayed or doesn't  arr8ve, your money is refunded.  In Phuket, our captain  announced  the day before  that our ship would be about 5 hrs delayed arriving.  I emailed  TBL.   They offerred either ability  to cancel or rebook for a short tour at at lesser pr8ce. Our 3 hr tour (instead  of 6 hr) was fantastic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1