Overnight ships tour in Bangkok

lynnek

We haven’t done a ships overnight in Bangkok. We were booked on a sailing with a overnight and looked at the 1 overnight offered and decided to do a private tour which was less tha. 1/2 the cost.  Unfortunately the cruise was cancelled.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here is a link to Celebrity's website detailing all the Bangkok tours available.  The only overnight "tours" were ones that essentially provide a hotel room in the city.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/pcp-excursions/bangkok-laemchabang-thailand-tours?destination=FAR.E&port=BKK

On our now COVID cancelled Dec 2021 Solstice cruise (Hong Kong to Singapore), here were all the tours that were offered thru Celebrity for our overnight stop at Bangkok:

image.thumb.png.c17fc121ab37903a81a46103cc58b7b8.png

If this cruise had actually sailed, our plans were to independently book a hotel in Bangkok (they are not terribly expensive) and stay there overnight.  One advantage to staying in the city is to eliminate the need to take the long ride back and forth from the pier.

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 2

We did an overnight in Bangkok while cruising on Connie a year pre pandemic. The cruise excursion ( return bus transpo plus hotel) was more than twice the cost of the private excursion for 8 that we did on our roll call. But ours also included an evening food tour plus sightseeing and lunch the next day before returning. Highly recommend getting your own excursion set up on your Roll Call.

• Like 3

Sometimes there are ports of call on cruise lines that are a long way from the port and are simply better as part of a land tour. Bangkok really needs more than a day…From the UK it is fairly easy to find packages of Bangkok, Phuket or Bangkok, Chang Mai, Beach…Compared to cruise prices they are reasonable…We did this one year rather than attempt Bangkok on a Far East cruise. Five nights in Bangkok gave us time to enjoy the major sights, float down the river and soak up the vibe (and to enjoy the food). It is a big, loud, noisy city so after five nights you are ready for relaxing in a quieter venue, we chose Cape Panwar on Phuket.

We have, however, enjoyed a couple of fantastic Far East cruises including Hong Kong to Singapore where all ports offered excursions that were wonderful and not too far to get to. We did have another cruise booked during covid (didn’t happen) which did have the Bangkok stop…we had decided to simply enjoy an empty ship day.

Definitely book an overnight, as mom says, your roll call could be useful as you will need to make the most of every minute…Alternatively, do as we planned to do and relax and see Bangkok as an option for a future land holiday.

• Thanks 1

Our roll call was very useful in arranging a transfer to Bangkok. We were there by 10.30am and made the most of the rest of the day and the morning after, when we were picked up at 1PM. The all aboard was at 5PM. We were back at 3PM, the trip back was quicker than the morning traffic to Bangkok.

The other 3 couples [more shopping oriented than us] opted to stay at the drop off place (MBK mall, Princess hotel). We added a few dollars to stay at Chatrium hotel Riverside. Our rationale was to be on the river and beat the heavy car traffic. It worked very good -- took the river boats to all the touristy points.

The hotel was excellent and very cheap, one of the best stays we had, even for one night. We've asked for an early check in and was graciously granted.

I can't remember right now the company we used, but they were very reliable and on time.

• Like 3

There are overnights to Angkor Wat, Bangkok city with hotels; there’s a On Your Own without a hotel which looks neat in you get your own hotel, wander on your own but have ship transportation

But of course getting in using Roll Call connections or truely on your own is an excellent choice.

den 

• Like 1

Many years ago (2013) I did the Vietnam cruise on the Millennium and I arranged all private tours for the whole cruise. For Bangkok I had a tour group of seven and it was a two day tour going to the temples and to Ayutthaya.

My largest group was Halong Bay/Hanoi where I organized a 21 person private tour. I felt like I was a tour guide where I had to have a spread sheet to keep everything organized. My husband helped to collect the money from all the participates.

I also organized private tours in Hanoian and Saigon. To date that was probably one of my top three favorite cruises of all time!

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Many years ago (2013) I did the Vietnam cruise on the Millennium and I arranged all private tours for the whole cruise. For Bangkok I had a tour group of seven and it was a two day tour going to the temples and to Ayutthaya.

My largest group was Halong Bay/Hanoi where I organized a 21 person private tour. I felt like I was a tour guide where I had to have a spread sheet to keep everything organized. My husband helped to collect the money from all the participates.

I also organized private tours in Hanoian and Saigon. To date that was probably one of my top three favorite cruises of all time!

I know for  a while, Millennium did a double overnight at Bangkok!  Was your sailing one of them?

14 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

I know for  a while, Millennium did a double overnight at Bangkok!  Was your sailing one of them?

Unfortunately it wasn't. We hit really bad traffic from the cruiseport (Laem Chabang, Thailand) and we were about at least 90 minutes later arriving at our hotels than originally planned. The following day was packed but we did mange to see the temples, Ayutthaya, and even got to see and pet an elephant! We had been to Bangkok before so getting there late afternoon didn't bother us. 

Edit: Ok, so looking back at the pics I'm wearing different clothes so checking my emails on Day 1 morning we went to Ayutthaya, then the elephants, then to Bangkok to overnight. We were SUPPOSED to get into Bangkok at 7PM but with such heavy traffic it became 9PM! The next day was the temples and then back to the ship.

IMG_2953.JPG

IMG_3023.JPG

Edited by kwokpot