Tipping on Uniworld

ninaks

I am going on my first Uniworld river cruise down the Rhine and Moselle in July.  They say all tipping is included but i wanted to ask past guests does that really mean no tipping or do people still tip at the end of the cruise ?  thank you for any information you can share

@ninaks, I've taken 3 Uniworld cruises, and the only time I tipped extra was when I had a suite with a butler.  It was a free upgrade, BTW.  I never observed other passengers tipping extra, but if you feel inclined, do so.  You will love Uniworld.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jpalbny said:

Tipping is included means that you don't tip.

This is one of the reasons I choose all inclusive lines.  No having to carry a lot of local currency in different denominations, and trying to budget so there will be enough left at the end to tip. 

• Like 1

If I remember correctly, on non-European cruises with Uniworld (Russia and Egypt in our case), tipping was not included and Uniworld provided info. on suggested amounts. I really like not having to have local money ready to tip local guides and bus drivers on excursions.

On 5/12/2022 at 4:07 PM, ninaks said:

I am going on my first Uniworld river cruise down the Rhine and Moselle in July.  They say all tipping is included but i wanted to ask past guests does that really mean no tipping or do people still tip at the end of the cruise ?  thank you for any information you can share

I am also taking this cruise, departing 2 July from Frankfurt. Are you on the same cruise?

PHD-iva, i will be on the July 11th cruise... please post along the way if you can , especially any recommendations on excursions you loved.   Also i recently noticed the price had dropped a lot from when i booked it last year and I called and they gave me the new price and I got a better room with a French Balcony (which i know isn't really a balcony but nice to be able to open a window) and they gave me a refund on the price difference.  

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 5/17/2022 at 11:36 PM, ninaks said:

PHD-iva, i will be on the July 11th cruise... please post along the way if you can , especially any recommendations on excursions you loved.   Also i recently noticed the price had dropped a lot from when i booked it last year and I called and they gave me the new price and I got a better room with a French Balcony (which i know isn't really a balcony but nice to be able to open a window) and they gave me a refund on the price difference.  

Hi, I am on board now, and really loving it. Can I answer any questions in particular? I like that so far we have docked for quite a long time in Cochem, perhaps it might seem like more time than you need for such a small town but I appreciate the leisurely pace and the ability to sit on the sundeck and enjoy the stationary scenery. Food has been incredibly good after a rocky start for the embarkation lunch which was passable. We have 77 passengers out of the capacity of 128. I think the River Queen is a little on the old side, but I have no complaints at all.

I will try to post a picture of the available excursions.

38211788-934B-4A2E-810E-73B89761FA09.jpeg

5AAA9589-6D06-487B-BD88-030A2498B2C2.jpeg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Thank you for sharing. I see you had the option of visiting the cold war bunker today. Cool (no pun intended). Quite a different experience from the standard. That is the money vault, isn't it? https://www.bundesbank-bunker.de/en/

notamermaid

Money that needed to be stored in a secure physical location?  How 20th Century!!!

PhD-iva,  thanks for the 'live' update.  So many of us are living vicariously these days. Your comment about the River Queen looking a bit old reminded me we were booked on her last scheduled trip in 2020.  She was then supposed to go for a complete update and transform into the newest S.S. in the Uniworld fleet.  It will be a while before that is going to happen,  I guess. 

RB 

8 minutes ago, Ritabob said:

PhD-iva,  thanks for the 'live' update.  So many of us are living vicariously these days. Your comment about the River Queen looking a bit old reminded me we were booked on her last scheduled trip in 2020.  She was then supposed to go for a complete update and transform into the newest S.S. in the Uniworld fleet.  It will be a while before that is going to happen,  I guess. 

RB 

I have no complaints. Everything is lovely. I know some people care about such things so I mention it to let them know.

The food has been very good, service excellent. Cruising along the Moselle river is very peaceful and relaxing. The scenery is very lovely. The days are very long, even around 930 at night it is still very light out.

PS The included wines are also very excellent. Quite good!

PPS I forgot to mention that the river queen has the best coffee I’ve ever had on any cruise line ever in my life. Unbelievably good! I usually hate brewed coffee

Edited by PhD-iva
Add ps
  • Like 3

I hope they do not convert the River Queen too much. She is a queen on the rivers, so stylish, I love seeing her sail as she is (the exterior). I do not like whites and greys, maritime brass and blue is my preferred combination. The interior is already updated but leaning towards Art Deco so fine for me as she is.

1 hour ago, PhD-iva said:

The days are very long, even around 930 at night it is still very light out.

Yes, our days due to European Summertime are very long still.

notamermaid

I am interested on the excursions when there are choices, if you have been happy with your choices?  Anything you wish you had brought or are really glad you have?  i was wondering if need a jacket at all this time of year?  Did you take the train to Strasbourg or were you picked up by Uniworld at the airport?  Thank you so much for sharing...we can't wait for next week

4 hours ago, ninaks said:

I am interested on the excursions when there are choices, if you have been happy with your choices?  Anything you wish you had brought or are really glad you have?  i was wondering if need a jacket at all this time of year?  Did you take the train to Strasbourg or were you picked up by Uniworld at the airport?  Thank you so much for sharing...we can't wait for next week

I have been very satisfied with the excursions so far. We had two groups yesterday, and then there’s always a third group to accompany a guide who will walk slower. I saw that a taxi was ordered for several passengers to take them a short distance into town so that they could avoid steps. I thought that was very considerate.

I thought our guide yesterday in Trier was quite good, but the other group was not happy with their guide. They said he droned on and on, he was very boring and he gave too much detail. I think a lot of those passengers are planning on changing groups today to go with the better guide.

I wish I had more jackets to choose from. I left my heavy rain coat at home by mistake, I had been planning to use that to keep warm. It is chilly and nippy in the evenings, especially if we are sailing. They have blankets available for passengers to use to keep warm. That seems to work fine.

My itinerary started in Frankfurt and will end in Strasburg. I flew into Frankfurt, and when I debark in Strasbourg, I will take a train to Munich for two days. Then I arranged for a private car to take me to Prague where my next adventure begins. It won’t be as nice as uniworld, but hopefully it will be nice enough.

I should add that I use sunscreen during the day. I didn’t pack any, so I bought it upon arrival. But I do use sunscreen every day. Be sure to bring a good hat or two

Edited by PhD-iva
Edit

13 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

I have been very satisfied with the excursions so far. We had two groups yesterday, and then there’s always a third group to accompany a guide who will walk slower. I saw that a taxi was ordered for several passengers to take them a short distance into town so that they could avoid steps. I thought that was very considerate.

I thought our guide yesterday in Trier was quite good, but the other group was not happy with their guide. They said he droned on and on, he was very boring and he gave too much detail. I think a lot of those passengers are planning on changing groups today to go with the better guide.

I wish I had more jackets to choose from. I left my heavy rain coat at home by mistake, I had been planning to use that to keep warm. It is chilly and nippy in the evenings, especially if we are sailing. They have blankets available for passengers to use to keep warm. That seems to work fine.

My itinerary started in Frankfurt and will end in Strasburg. I flew into Frankfurt, and when I debark in Strasbourg, I will take a train to Munich for two days. Then I arranged for a private car to take me to Prague where my next adventure begins. It won’t be as nice as uniworld, but hopefully it will be nice enough.

what is the name of the good guide?  maybe we can make sure we get his group.  Thank you for all your information, very helpful.  please pass along any other excursion information you have as you take them.  Thanks again

1 hour ago, ninaks said:

what is the name of the good guide?  maybe we can make sure we get his group.  Thank you for all your information, very helpful.  please pass along any other excursion information you have as you take them.  Thanks again

Her name was Andrea, not sure what the “bad” guy’s name was. He was an older gentleman of short stature. Actually, he did the talking for everyone during the American cemetery tour in Luxembourg, and I thought he was quite good. So it’s really subjective, however multiple passengers have mentioned to me that he did not suit their taste on the previous day’s excursion.

OK, I have finally discovered two small faults that I can mention. Tonight the rack of lamb was perfect and was a very generous portion. However, I had a regular style knife and therefore I had difficulty cutting the meat from the bone. Also, regularly the temperature in the shower will fluctuate away from the desired temperature setting. It can drop to cold or shoot to quite hot. Someone else is also mentioned this to me. So far everything else has been fabulous, just fabulous.

I have been struggling to engage in dinner conversation because I am having a lot of trouble following what people are saying. I generally sit near a window but with my back to the dining room. And there are several large groups that are a little on the boisterous side (Bless their hearts, they’re having a great time!). My family will tell you that I have been resistant to getting a hearing aid because I will respond that I am too young to need a hearing aid (LOL!). I have been eating several dinners with 2 nice couples from New York, and tonight I was so pleased to hear one of the wives admit that the other one whispers. No one can hear her. I feel so much better! HA!

• Like 2

At tonight’s  port talk by the social Director, Rick, he talked to us about two passengers who have tested positive for Covid. This morning they went to the reception desk and said they had done a self test, and had tested positive. The staff tested them again twice and each test came up positive. Although this doesn’t quite make sense to me, one passenger left the ship and one passenger is quarantining in their cabin for five days. I guess I had been given the impression they were traveling together, anyway one is gone and one is quarantined for five days in their cabin.
Rick said that the passenger who has left the ship has been given contact information for the office in London, who is expected to contact them directly. I don’t remember exactly what Support they will be given. 

Currently Germany has no testing requirements and no quarantine requirements. Uniworld‘s policy is stricter than that, as you can see. Up till now very few people have been wearing masks. We are supposed to wear masks on the bus, and very few people do that as well. I think I will try to wear my mask more often.

I have to say that I think everyone really appreciates that the company has communicated with us about the current situation.