The Daily for Sunday 05/15/2022

richwmn

Good Afternoon, the morning was filled with errands and some laundry.  
I had an interesting experience booking internet for our upcoming Zaandam cruise.  I booked it for myself, entered the cc information and submitted the request.  I got a message that the server couldn’t be reached to try again later.  My phone got the credit card alerts that the purchase went through.  I checked email and I got the confirmation email from HAL that the transaction went through.  Just odd.

• Like 18

Thanks everyone for the good wishes. I don't want to jinx myself but other than the stuffy nose/slight headache, I feel ok. No ambition but that's not unusual. DGD tested negative yesterday so she's happy to get out of jail. Chocolate chip cookies are much better without the chocolate chips but oatmeal raisin cookies are the best. Have a great week.

• Like 21
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Boston said:

Was able to make it to the Black Falcon Pier and see the Zandaam docked.  Slowly things are getting back to normal.

5736B51B-F3ED-4F07-BE63-065D66429C1D.jpeg

So glad things  are  getting back  normal.

Jim.

• Like 12

I would love to have a chocolate-chip cookie. Unfortunately, I'm avoiding sugar and milled flour as much as possible. Fortunately, sort of, there are no cookies in the house and because I leave in less than a week, I'm staying out of stores.

I wouldn't mind some Irish coffee, either. I also like to pour a splash of a fruit alcohol, such as Poire-William, into a just-finished cup of coffee, while the cup is still warm. I have nothing like that on hand, either. Dinner will probably be vegan sausage, baked sweet potato, and whatever green vegetable I can come up with.

• Like 22
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Though our 30th Anniversary is tomorrow we are celebrating today as our restaurant choice is closed on Monday’s. So Blessed to have each other!❤️

Well since you are celebrating early so will my wishes for you two.  Happy Anniversary.  Have a wonderful dinner and celebration tonight!

706FC5D8-F040-4646-BB36-3450E18AC165.jpeg.dac9f52b0bc1010f6f97cf6b44c37eb2.jpeg

• Like 16

Good afternoon, Dailyites, and thanks for the interesting posts  Congratulations to @aliaschief and his DW for 30 years of wedded  bliss!.  Another rainy day here, but I guess it's a good thing for all the newly-transplanted greenery.  

I think I mentioned on another "Slider Day" that DD acquired a red-eared slider at university in London, Ontario.  Of course "Dork" ended up with Mum and Dad, and was eventually donated to the National Zoo in Washington, DC.  I wonder if he is still there.  That's the closest I have come to a slider...  (Dork ended up about the size of a big Mac!)

Unknown.jpeg.a82d19f002bcb7257164f5721a77ec86.jpeg

We have been to Taormina a few times.  The last time was 2016 on the Prinsendam with DD (and also @sailingdutchy) and we had a tour to Taormina and Castelmola from Messina.  We mainly went to the Greek  theatre, with its beautiful views, but we also went through the city park which has a lot of sculpture, and also one of those strange Italian underwater suicide torpedos, which fascinated Pat.  

View from the Greek theatre.

P1030280.thumb.JPG.6570176fac2ffed37da218f678375d9c.JPG

In the city park

P1030294.thumb.JPG.29a88354e7645aced18b020e2ffa0093.JPG

P1030299.thumb.JPG.dc2bac433d83c386039e2bbfe4d45e0c.JPG

P1030302.thumb.JPG.85dfb45ddbc7e553de44e982e9bd5f18.JPG

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

Good afternoon, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

I am not a big fan of chocolate chip cookies...the only way I like them is right out of the oven. I am another whose favorite is oatmeal raisin. Sliders are a take 'em or leave 'em for me. I always honor fallen, past and present police officers as my Dad was a Florida State Trooper.

I like the quote and will pass on the meal as I am not a fan of Indian cuisine.

DH and I have been busy since early this morning. Trying to see what can be completed over the next few days so he can head to GA either Tuesday or Wednesday night.

We haven't been to the pool or beach in well over a week. We will have to make time for at least a couple of walks on the beach before he leaves.

I have read today's Daily, but apologize that I don't remember what comments I was going to send to who. Need to get back to it for about an hour or so then call it a day and make dinner.

Praying for and celebrating with each of you. Take care and have a great evening.

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

• Like 21

8 hours ago, MISTER 67 said:

Good morning from beautiful Southwest Florida.

If you wanted a real Slider back in the day, this was the only place to go. We would by them by the bag before Blackhawks hockey games at the old Chicago Stadium, usually 5 or more of them, sometimes 10, would eat them before the game started up in the nosebleed seats. 5 cents each in the 1950s and a dime in the 60s.

Hope everyone has a great day.

white castle.jpg

@MISTER 67 Thanks. At a reunion with my three brothers this weekend and we were just talking about White Castle hamburgers. Yummy, especially the fourth time they “repeat” on you 🤪. Then we’d go next door to Fairyland amusement park on Queens Boulevard in NYC. Great memories! 
I was in Vilnius, Lithuania in 1998 and a couple walked in with White Castle t-shirts on!  They were from Indiana and the WC where they first met was closing so there was a big party and commemorative swag. Of course I had to go talk with them! Susan

• Like 21

To all the Daily friends - I'm confident that the prayers and good thoughts have been felt by my daughter, and I think it is finally safe to say that she can exit the rotation on the care list...

I know that I have been remiss in posting, and that is mostly because my days have been overwhelmed with work tasks (I am responsible for both HR and all things finance...and we've had no fewer than eight Covid-positive results in the past four weeks, and that included 2 of my 3 staff).  My only 'screen time' has been devoted to my daughter - once I left VA the second time, I offered to Skype with her each evening to remain connected as in-person as we could, and she could unload any anxiety that we could talk through.  We spend about 45-60 minutes a night connected, and it has really contributed to helping her.  

The daily medication has finally hit her stride and physically, she's recovered very well from the gall bladder removal.  She's carefully introducing more fats to her diet with no side effects.  She's been able to get outside almost daily for walks with Lana, and finally...FINALLY...having the time she wanted to enjoy motherhood.  She's still with a counselor, and on a list to join a new-mothers' group through her OB, but definitely doing much better.  

I hit a brick wall at work this week and told my boss I was taking Mon-Tue off, so this is a long 4-day weekend for me.  I told everyone I was going to disconnect from the work-grid and not answer anything.  Told them all, if it was an emergency (especially HR-related), to reach out to my boss and if he feels I need to be involved, he has the 'break glass in case of emergency' way to reach me.  I know that he will do everything he can to NOT text me, and I appreciate that.

My husband and I took the opportunity today to drive out to Longwood Gardens in Kennett Square PA (we're members, so unlimited visits whenever we want) to get some inspiration for the garden plantings.  I intend to hit up the nursery tomorrow or Tuesday to buy some annuals and see what perennials will fit in the landscape.  

Chocolate Chip Cookies are a favorite of mine, and fit squarely into a story about my very first cruise.  Back in 1986...on Carnival's Tropicale...I was sailing solo and enjoyed a table of 10 total diners.  One guy asked for milk every single night, so the servers ended up making sure it was there for him before we ever arrived.  On the night we were in port at Puerto Vallarta, all aboard wasn't until 10pm and most of the table was eating dinner ashore, but me and another woman opted to dine on board.  The server was distraught - he'd already poured the milk, and said he would get in major trouble if he brought a full glass back into the kitchen.  I jokingly said to him..."I'd drink it, but I need warm chocolate chip cookies to go with it".  Five minutes later, a half-dozen fresh-baked chocolate chip cookies were by my side, and every night after that.  THAT hooked me!

@Rowsby I hope that you have a wonderful visit to Hawaii and it recharges your soul...

@kazu I continue to think of you, and my walks at Longwood today made me think of the beautiful garden photos you've shared previously.  Thank you for teaching us all how to have 'greener' thumbs...here are few of the pictures that I hope will inspire me this year:

05.15.22 - 2.jpg

05.15.22 - 3.jpg

05.15.22 - 4.jpg

05.15.22 -1.jpg

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1

This morning we decided to take advantage of a nice day before it got hot.  In spite of the high gas prices, we took the convertible out for a ride with the top down.  Even though this area needs rain badly, all the fields were still green, which made for a pretty drive in the country.

When we got home, I decided to treat myself to some time on the patio with my book.  The breeze made it comfortable except when it died down occasionally.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, my easy way of finding the pictures I posted is reading your post for the date the pictures had been posted previously. 😉  The other day, I did find an way to determine the date.  If I remember and see your picture, I will share them too.

@grapau27  Graham, we would be willing to go up in the observation pod, but we're not willimg to sail on a ship with 4905 passengers.  😱

@aliaschief  🎊 🎈 HAPPY 30TH ANNIVERSARY TO YOU AND SUE!  🥂 ❤️  Enjoy your celebatory dinner tonight and you day tomorrow.

@Mr. Boston  Thank you for the picture of the Zaandam.  We really like that ship.

@Vict0riann Ann and @Cruising-along Carolyn, thank you for sharing your pictures of Taormina.

Lenda

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

Thank you to @StLouisCruisers, @Quartzsite Cruiser, @Cruising-along, and @Vict0riann for the photos of Taormina.  We were there 11/21/2009, during a B2B Eastern Med and TA on Celebrity Solstice.  Most of my photos have already been covered, so will just jump in with my usual food and beverage shots.

IMHO, no stop in Sicily is complete without a cannoli (DH took this and I think he had the sugar shakes just thinking of biting into this beauty 🤣)

140.thumb.jpg.29ffc4cbacf747ee7021c36e8773a7bd.jpg

Not sure what I was drinking (limoncello??) and of course a local beer for DH

144.thumb.jpg.28def530ed5722752faeea8006379a9a.jpg

We were in Messina two more times, but never got back to Taormina -- maybe next time.

Kay

Edited by kb4683
  • Like 27

3 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

This morning we decided to take advantage of a nice day before it got hot.  In spite of the high gas prices, we took the convertible out for a ride with the top down.  Even though this area needs rain badly, all the fields were still green, which made for a pretty drive in the country.

When we got home, I decided to treat myself to some time on the patio with my book.  The breeze made it comfortable except when it died down occasionally.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, my easy way of finding the pictures I posted is reading your post for the date the pictures had been posted previously. 😉  The other day, I did find an way to determine the date.  If I remember and see your picture, I will share them too.

@grapau27  Graham, we would be willing to go up in the observation pod, but we're not willimg to sail on a ship with 4905 passengers.  😱

@aliaschief  🎊 🎈 HAPPY 30TH ANNIVERSARY TO YOU AND SUE!  🥂 ❤️  Enjoy your celebatory dinner tonight and you day tomorrow.

@Mr. Boston  Thank you for the picture of the Zaandam.  We really like that ship.

@Vict0riann Ann and @Cruising-along Carolyn, thank you for sharing your pictures of Taormina.

Lenda

They only let 12 people at a time in the observation pod and the ride lasts 15 minutes.

The ship was almost full but TBH it did not feel crowded at all.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Being a desert rat from the great South/West all my life I had never heard the terms "slider" or "White Castle" until about 25 years ago when my brother-in-law married his wife who is from Minnesota. Still have never tried either one. Just to show my ignorance a little further I read all 3 of todays recipies and still have no clue what they would taste like. Not sure I want to find out as the one and only time I ate Indian food at a restaurant it was quite spicy. I took some leftovers home as my husband liked it but the next day when I opened the fridge it was so pungent that I had to throw out everything and clean the fridge with soda and vinegar to sweeten it up.

I have never been to todays port and I am enjoying all the photos.

@aliaschiefCongrats Bruce and Sue on your 30th anniversary.

@grapau27Nice photos. Pauline always looks so completely elegent even when relaxing barefoot. I am so envious.

@RowsbyI hope that your time in Hawaii will be restful and restorative.

Jane

Edited by lazey1
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, msmayor said:

To all the Daily friends - I'm confident that the prayers and good thoughts have been felt by my daughter, and I think it is finally safe to say that she can exit the rotation on the care list...

I know that I have been remiss in posting, and that is mostly because my days have been overwhelmed with work tasks (I am responsible for both HR and all things finance...and we've had no fewer than eight Covid-positive results in the past four weeks, and that included 2 of my 3 staff).  My only 'screen time' has been devoted to my daughter - once I left VA the second time, I offered to Skype with her each evening to remain connected as in-person as we could, and she could unload any anxiety that we could talk through.  We spend about 45-60 minutes a night connected, and it has really contributed to helping her.  

The daily medication has finally hit her stride and physically, she's recovered very well from the gall bladder removal.  She's carefully introducing more fats to her diet with no side effects.  She's been able to get outside almost daily for walks with Lana, and finally...FINALLY...having the time she wanted to enjoy motherhood.  She's still with a counselor, and on a list to join a new-mothers' group through her OB, but definitely doing much better.  

I hit a brick wall at work this week and told my boss I was taking Mon-Tue off, so this is a long 4-day weekend for me.  I told everyone I was going to disconnect from the work-grid and not answer anything.  Told them all, if it was an emergency (especially HR-related), to reach out to my boss and if he feels I need to be involved, he has the 'break glass in case of emergency' way to reach me.  I know that he will do everything he can to NOT text me, and I appreciate that.

My husband and I took the opportunity today to drive out to Longwood Gardens in Kennett Square PA (we're members, so unlimited visits whenever we want) to get some inspiration for the garden plantings.  I intend to hit up the nursery tomorrow or Tuesday to buy some annuals and see what perennials will fit in the landscape.  

Chocolate Chip Cookies are a favorite of mine, and fit squarely into a story about my very first cruise.  Back in 1986...on Carnival's Tropicale...I was sailing solo and enjoyed a table of 10 total diners.  One guy asked for milk every single night, so the servers ended up making sure it was there for him before we ever arrived.  On the night we were in port at Puerto Vallarta, all aboard wasn't until 10pm and most of the table was eating dinner ashore, but me and another woman opted to dine on board.  The server was distraught - he'd already poured the milk, and said he would get in major trouble if he brought a full glass back into the kitchen.  I jokingly said to him..."I'd drink it, but I need warm chocolate chip cookies to go with it".  Five minutes later, a half-dozen fresh-baked chocolate chip cookies were by my side, and every night after that.  THAT hooked me!

@Rowsby I hope that you have a wonderful visit to Hawaii and it recharges your soul...

@kazu I continue to think of you, and my walks at Longwood today made me think of the beautiful garden photos you've shared previously.  Thank you for teaching us all how to have 'greener' thumbs...here are few of the pictures that I hope will inspire me this year:

05.15.22 - 2.jpg

05.15.22 - 3.jpg

05.15.22 - 4.jpg

05.15.22 -1.jpg

Looks like a lovely walk.

It is heartening to know your daughter is a lot better physically and mentally.

Very best wishes to you and your family.

Graham.

• Like 15

36 minutes ago, msmayor said:

Wow, you poor thing - you have really had your hands full (and I’m sure you’re heart as well).  I’m so happy to hear that your daughter is improving.

And more glad that you have pulled the plug for a few days.  If it isn’t enough, take a few more days off - it sounds like you will need it.

Most stuff can wait for 2 or 3 days and there are other people.  (Another pot calling the kettle black) but seriously, your health has to come first, please take care and take all the time you need when and if you need it.  Please?  

2 hours ago, kazu said:

Well since you are celebrating early so will my wishes for you two.  Happy Anniversary.  Have a wonderful dinner and celebration tonight!

706FC5D8-F040-4646-BB36-3450E18AC165.jpeg.dac9f52b0bc1010f6f97cf6b44c37eb2.jpeg

Oops @aliaschief my sincere apologies Bruce, I thought I had chosen a happy anniversary meme - I guess my fat finger missed and I was not focused enough to notice.  Please accept my apologies and happy anniversary

0A9D98FE-63B1-4593-8BA0-9A2BCB47D39B.thumb.jpeg.1a11ac52d723fa460b9155d11a4f885b.jpeg

• Like 18

Good day and thanks all.   We certainly have respect for fallen officers.  DH lost a young constable early on,  and spent time with the NYPD after 911.   Sorry to hear of more senseless gun violence, so tragic and appalling that it is still so prevalent.  

We’ve enjoyed Taormina a few times, beautiful.  But last cruise from Catania we visited Ortygia  and Noto, highly recommended  

258EBDEC-65B0-430C-B4BE-CEE19CEC6FAF.jpeg

D8D43191-5FE4-429C-92C7-B2C500688742.jpeg

F2E18771-046A-445D-8B23-74D7E85E041A.jpeg

09E9E9FE-24AD-4466-B73D-5C384ECF0FCC.jpeg

E8F50B2F-58DA-4570-B09C-DC27BD9BD0E2.jpeg

AEF77E33-09A4-4054-9DFD-91F65293FA55.jpeg

563A313C-689B-40D7-B43F-425109B264A9.jpeg

DD6A2916-7F7E-4E6C-92A4-220316A0D45F.jpeg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 4

11 hours ago, Rowsby said:
After my husband passed away several weeks ago....I needed to stay busy....and have gone thru every closet, nook and cranny...organizing and downsizing....

A few days ago...I made a command decision...and booked a condo in Waikiki for the month of September....:)

I use to live there....way back...in 1967.....and have taken our family many, many times...

This is a solo trip...just want to kick back and do nothing but bob in the pool and watch the sunset from the lanai.....:) 

My family is so super glad and so super excited that I'm going....they even have it all worked out on who is staying with Casey every night (our cat)...and who is taking and picking me up at the airport....

I'm guessing that old Don Ho record I found....might have had something to do with this...:)

What a wonderful decision,. The ocean and Hawaii can be so healing, that’s where we went after the loss of my brother.  .  

8 hours ago, marshhawk said:

Good Morning Dailyites!  I have been remiss about getting back on every day once I get the first morning fix, so two things I wanted to add before I totally forget-Chicken Dance-hockey games.

Getting carded?  They even card you for non alcoholic wine and beers.  It says wine? card, it says beer? card.  LOL  There isn't booze in them.  But they gotta.

I know I promised a short review of my vacation-so here goes, it has a happy ending if you want to skip it.

Saturday April 30- A donut for breakfast with coffee and we head out by 10 a.m..  Promising to stop at Cracker Barrell in Macon.  However, I miss that stop and have to keep driving to the next one.  So quite hungry by the time we got second breakfast.  We finally get to our Microtel south of Ocala around 5.  Now I know it shouldn't take that long to get from Atlanta to Ocala, but DH and I are both smokers and we cant smoke in the car with the BFF, so we did have a few extra stops at rest areas.  Even found a rest area south of Gainesville right before the Plains Prairie, and there were warnings about poisonous snakes.  Didn't see one, but it turns out that this rise above the waters of the prairie is called snake hill, and when the Prairie floods, the snakes come to the hill so that they wont drown.  There is one small reason to appreciate a drought.

The hotel was to say the least, disgusting.  I usually stop at Holiday Inn Express, but when I tried to book, all the Holiday Inns from Valdosta to Tampa off 75 were booked.  Couldn't  get two rooms.  But we have stayed at a Microtel when we cruise from Mobile, so I chose the one in Ocala.  Our room smelled awful.  Like something had died, and they had thrown a entire can of ant killer in the room to cover up the smell.  I literally could not breathe.  I opened the window, but there was no screen.  We did complain, and the girl at the desk, went up and put some other chemical in the air conditioner system. ??  After we came back from dinner, she did offer to move us, which i jumped at.  Same type of room,  closer to the elevator.  Bless her.  She said she had no idea why housekeeping hadn't said something about the room.  Oh, and the pool had been closed by the Health Department, and the "smoking section" was a picnic table where several homeless people were living at.  So , no I don't recommend this hotel.

Sunday May 1- Check in day at Sanibel Moorings.  You cant check in before 4, and we got there at 3:30.  Condo was not ready, so we headed to the Lighthouse cafe, to the ice-cream store, and I got a cup of mint chocolate chip ( I like to celebrate my chips when they are in ice cream). The resort called us in about 15 minutes, so after our most wonderful snack, we headed back to the condo, and moved in for the week.  Two bedroom, two bath, full kitchen, living room, dining area.  Screened porch with a few of "the garden".

8523510984.jpg

0845860625.jpg

0528650477.jpg

I love this place because, you have your own home for a week, and you are at the beach.

Once we unpacked we headed to the beach, right when a massive thunderstorm was coming in, and the staff was getting everyone off the beach, so we went to the pool. ( I know a dumb idea)

0079590438.jpg

The pictures above are all from the condo web site.  

When the three of us travel together,  we split costs.  The condo was on us this year, the excursions were paid for by the BFF.

Monday we went to the Ding Wildlife Reserve, and took a tram ride through the reserve.  We had "just missed" the white pelicans, and the roseated spoon bills, but "just a few days".  But we did see a lot of osprey.  Close up and personal.  What a beautiful raptor.

Four tan-black-and-white birds with long gray bills probing sand for food at the beach

Tuesday we returned to C.R,O.W. (the care and rehabilitation of wildlife).  We had gone last year for the lecture, but this time we did the hospital tour.  On Sanibel all critters are honored, as this is their home, and we just visit.  They will care for any animal on the island and off the island, who can be brought in and cared for.  EXCEPT for the iguana.  As the iguana is not an indigenous critter.  If they are injured, they are euthanized.

cj3f06crvdzfo7fapjox.jpg

Wednesday we took a Breakfast "cruise" in Tarpon Bay.  And we saw lots of birds, got a lot of history, a cup of coffee and a Danish.  A very calm pontoon "cruise", which we all enjoyed.

Image of the evening cruise at Tarpon Bay Explorers

Thursday afternoon we went to the Bailey Matthews National Shell museum.  Being the kid I am, I made DH download the "treasure hunt" and we got a prize of a plastic wrist band with the name of the museum on it.  They thanked me for taking one, as it is a form of advertising, and the kids don't like them.

Blackwater Moments-1.jpeg

Friday Morning we decided to learn some history of the island, so we went to the Heritage Village Tour.

SHM-Home-Page-Lightbox1-new.jpg

There might have been too much history, as went the tour guide decided to discuss modern day politics, the three of us wandered off....

Saturday we went to the Gulf Shores Ballet of Don Quixote, and while it was a bit "high school" it was entertaining, but again we left early to grab those last moments of beach time and by the time we got to the beach, another storm blew in, and that was the end of that.  We got off the beach, packed up, and went and had our last fantastic meal and went back one last time for ice cream.

I didnt cook one meal, did wash out coffee cups, and recommend the following restaurants on the island, yes they are all good, but some were just GREAT.

Lighthouse Cafe  for breakfast and the ice cream place attached which is open til 10 at night.  BEST Ice cream ever!

Over Easy Cafe- the guys had breakfast, which they said was great , but I had a BBQ pork Quesadilla and it was beyond yummy. 

Doc Fords- for lunch or Dinner.  DH fell in love with the macadamia crusted grouper (he ordered it twice) and I had the Yucatan Shrimp.(twice)  I cant remember what the BFF had, he wasn't saying yumyumyum with every bite...LOL.

Jerry's, yes it's a grocery store, but there is a great restaurant attached.  I had the mahi mahi tacos.

Sunday we were back on the road, and drove to the Hampton Inn in Gainesville.  Very nice, very clean, and no bad smells.  We had talked about walking the local gardens on HWY 24, we had gone last year, but thought better of it, due to traffic near Atlanta.  We got home around 4, immediately filled the washing machine up, and went and got a burger for dinner.   

The BFF left early Tuesday morning, and both DH and I went back to work.  I did get on line, to see what condo i might be able to rent in 2024, and the prices just for this year had gone up over 500 dollars a week starting this July.  Priced themselves right out of what i am willing to pay.  

We will meet back up with the BFF in Vancouver for our first Holland cruise in May of next year.  This time he paid for the cruise, and we pay for the excursions on the cruise, and for a few days on land after the cruise.  Both glad to be home, i missed you guys and the cats, but I do miss the way I feel when I am "at the beach".

Beautiful resort,. Love the avocets, they’re here now! 

46 minutes ago, kb4683 said:

Thank you to @StLouisCruisers, @Quartzsite Cruiser, @Cruising-along, and @Vict0riann for the photos of Taormina.  We were there 11/21/2009, during a B2B Eastern Med and TA on Celebrity Solstice.  Most of my photos have already been covered, so will just jump in with my usual food and beverage shots.

IMHO, no stop in Sicily is complete without a cannoli (DH took this and I think he had the sugar shakes just thinking of biting into this beauty 🤣)

140.thumb.jpg.29ffc4cbacf747ee7021c36e8773a7bd.jpg

Not sure what I was drinking (limoncello??) and of course a local beer for DH

144.thumb.jpg.28def530ed5722752faeea8006379a9a.jpg

We were in Messina two more times, but never got back to Taormina -- maybe next time.

Kay

DH would  agree!  He also concurs on the oatmeal raisin , sounds like the daily cookie of choice, lol! 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Looks like a lovely walk.

It is heartening to know your daughter is a lot better physically and mentally.

Very best wishes to you and your family.

Graham.

Thank you so much @grapau27 - it is a huge weight off my mind knowing that she is having far more joyful moments than sad ones.  She is truly enjoying being a mom, and the big blessing is that dear Lana is a very calm and happy baby - she must know her mama had a rough start!

43 minutes ago, kazu said:

Wow, you poor thing - you have really had your hands full (and I’m sure you’re heart as well).  I’m so happy to hear that your daughter is improving.

And more glad that you have pulled the plug for a few days.  If it isn’t enough, take a few more days off - it sounds like you will need it.

Most stuff can wait for 2 or 3 days and there are other people.  (Another pot calling the kettle black) but seriously, your health has to come first, please take care and take all the time you need when and if you need it.  Please?  

I will do my best, @kazu - for most all of my professional life, I've taken my responsibilities so much to heart that it's become harder and harder to let go and accept that the world (or the business) won't fall apart if I step away.  Last week, when I was telling my boss that I was planning to try and take a couple of days he was quite relieved...he is always pushing me to regain a better work/life balance, and I appreciate that he's willing to be the 'bad cop' if people try to put too much on me.  Its time I commit to Me Time first.

My husband keeps saying he owes me a nice vacation.  We're not sure if we are ready to cruise while all the testing protocols are in place, so I think I'll focus on a land trip, something here on the east coast so we can stick to driving and reduce the stress level of travel.  I'd love to go back to Providence RI and see more of the mansions, or maybe its time to finally get to Boston and see the Red Sox.  Maybe Charleston, a city I've always wanted to see...

• Like 19

@JAM37 Definitely make some time for a walk on the beach with DH.

@msmayor Very good news to hear that DD is doing better and able to enjoy motherhood! She's lucky to have you in her life. I'm glad you're able to take some time for yourself to recharge.

@lazey1 Some of the hottest food I've ever eaten was Indian. In a former job I worked with many Indian people and often went to meals at their homes for homemade food. There was usually some dairy product available to cool the mouth, lol.

@Vict0riann @bennybear Thanks for the photos.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, msmayor said:

Thank you so much @grapau27 - it is a huge weight off my mind knowing that she is having far more joyful moments than sad ones.  She is truly enjoying being a mom, and the big blessing is that dear Lana is a very calm and happy baby - she must know her mama had a rough start!

I will do my best, @kazu - for most all of my professional life, I've taken my responsibilities so much to heart that it's become harder and harder to let go and accept that the world (or the business) won't fall apart if I step away.  Last week, when I was telling my boss that I was planning to try and take a couple of days he was quite relieved...he is always pushing me to regain a better work/life balance, and I appreciate that he's willing to be the 'bad cop' if people try to put too much on me.  Its time I commit to Me Time first.

My husband keeps saying he owes me a nice vacation.  We're not sure if we are ready to cruise while all the testing protocols are in place, so I think I'll focus on a land trip, something here on the east coast so we can stick to driving and reduce the stress level of travel.  I'd love to go back to Providence RI and see more of the mansions, or maybe its time to finally get to Boston and see the Red Sox.  Maybe Charleston, a city I've always wanted to see...

Glad to hear your daughter is doing better and you are going to take some care of yourself. Charleston is gorgeous!  Literally we think we’re indefensible but we’re not.   You have a lovely DGD now too.  

• Like 14

4 hours ago, kochleffel said:

I would love to have a chocolate-chip cookie. Unfortunately, I'm avoiding sugar and milled flour as much as possible. Fortunately, sort of, there are no cookies in the house and because I leave in less than a week, I'm staying out of stores.

I wouldn't mind some Irish coffee, either. I also like to pour a splash of a fruit alcohol, such as Poire-William, into a just-finished cup of coffee, while the cup is still warm. I have nothing like that on hand, either. Dinner will probably be vegan sausage, baked sweet potato, and whatever green vegetable I can come up with.

I enjoy the fact that I learn something new almost every day on the Daily.  I had never heard of Poire-William, so I looked it up.  It showed a bottle with a pear in it; no way that pear could get into that bottle.  Looked farther, and found that they actually put the pear blossom in the bottle and let the pear grow to maturity in the bottle before they then add the liquor to the bottle.  I expect the bottle with the pear is much more expensive than the bottle without the pear.

Ray

• Like 16