Beware of going to Europe from the US

2 minutes ago, Citrons said:

We had beers outside. However the guy who brought us the beers was coughing over our heads. The toilet was indoors but very grubby and there was zero hand gel. 

The shops which my aunties kept running into were indoors and they lost the run of themselves and covid/masks went out the window when they saw the baby clothes. They were the 1st 2 to complain about a sore throat in our group and it was after the 2 of them did shopping together in kusadasi - no one else from the group spent as much time in the shops as they did

Think I will just see Ephesus and go straight back to the ship.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, smarcbie said:

For any people who recently came down with CoVid, is this your first time? If not, when did you catch CoVid before? I am wondering about the Delta variant(s) and the rate of reinfections.

None of us had covid before. This was our 1st time. Also the HSE (our healthcare in Ireland) rang my mam today to find out her close contacts to covid and she gave them the name of the Odyssey cruise so they can follow up. Today in the test centre i also told them i got infected on the Odyssey cruise. So they might test the varient from the cruise to see if it is the latest super spreader covid from the USA.

Also I had friends here in Ireland who got Covid in January 2022 and 6 weeks later in Feb 2022. So you can be reinfected 6 weeks after covid.

Edited by Citrons
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Crazy planning mom said:

Think I will just see Ephesus and go straight back to the ship.

Yes the photos look lovely. As we were with a group of women they just wanted to do shopping for their grandchildren.

I should have done a tour of Ephesus - but i was scared of being roped into a rug carpet/gold factory/turkish delight/tea tours which they force you to do in Bodrum and Marmaris Turkey which they forced us to do in order to see the historic sights.

14 hours ago, vjmatty said:

Glad we're coming back to the US by transatlantic cruise in the fall.

Sadly, cruise ship rules might still require a negative test.  

• Like 1

Testing to get back into the US is why we are choosing only domestic cruises until 2024 with Alaska in 2023 being the only exception.  I just don’t want to be be quarantined out of the country.  At least in the US we can rent a car and drive home.  Hopefully all this testing will be behind us by then. 

We flew to DC over the weekend. Museums were crowded, rode the metro everywhere. We used masks in crowded areas but not sure it helped.  Will test today but won’t be at all surprised if we get it again.  It’s certainly not isolated to ships.  It’s just that travel by ship can be more clearly identified as the source but it’s everywhere.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Crazy planning mom said:

For the dining in Kusadasi, was it indoor our outdoor?  While the vax rate in Turkey is lower than Greece, its 88.5 percent which is higher than many countries.   https://graphics.reuters.com/world-coronavirus-tracker-and-maps/countries-and-territories/turkey/

30 minutes ago, smarcbie said:

For any people who recently came down with CoVid, is this your first time? If not, when did you catch CoVid before? I am wondering about the Delta variant(s) and the rate of reinfections.

15 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Testing to get back into the US is why we are choosing only domestic cruises until 2024 with Alaska in 2023 being the only exception.  I just don’t want to be be quarantined out of the country.  At least in the US we can rent a car and drive home.  Hopefully all this testing will be behind us by then. 

We flew to DC over the weekend. Museums were crowded, rode the metro everywhere. We used masks in crowded areas but not sure it helped.  Will test today but won’t be at all surprised if we get it again.  It’s certainly not isolated to ships.  It’s just that travel by ship can be more clearly identified as the source but it’s everywhere.

Absolutely i agree it is everywhere. However i had only been indoors in 1 pub at a small music gig in two years and once to a empty cinema screen. I wore masks all the time indoors to the supermarket etc. In Santorini last summer most restaurants was eating outdoors. I have also not yet gone to the gym here in 2 years.

So the cruise was the 1st time in 2 years i was exposed to so many people indoors with no masks and in large venues like the theatre, gym etc. So my life on the cruise last week was doing alot of stuff i had not done in 2 years with so many people and with no masks most of the time. So it is no surprise it was the 1st time we got covid in my group.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

If you have tested positive, you cannot enter into Canada , until you have quarantine for 10 days 

a positive test results  are sent to immigration in the country you are in , and are share with other countries 

on the Arrival Canada app they ask you if been in contact with someone with Covid  in the last 10 days

you might be able to get though or be stopped , a large fine if you lie and get caught 

SHHHHHH! Don't tell them about the BIG FFINES. Have you seen our deficits and debt levels. Heck, we need all the revenue we can get! 💲💲

😁

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

Correct, it may not happen. But in the end is it really worth it? Not for us.

that is why I keep looking at my 2018 and 2019 European cruises to Norway and Baltics and then to Canaries.   so glad I did them and hope to get back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Citrons said:

she gave them the name of the Odyssey cruise so they can follow up. Today in the test centre i also told them i got infected on the Odyssey cruise.

Did you also tell them that you were sure you caught it in port and not on the ship? 

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

Sadly, cruise ship rules might still require a negative test.  

Yes, when we board the cruise.  I am talking about getting off the ship at home after the twelve day sailing.... there is no flight to return on and no foreign country for me to be stuck in.  If they want us to stay on the ship for the next cruise I will be happy to oblige.

21 hours ago, pretzlaff said:

Folks got positive tests on our transatlantic.  I was worried that we might get a positive test.  So, I double checked on changing our air reservations to Toronto, so that we could take the bus across the border to Buffalo and fly home from there.  If you are from the west coast, change your flights to Vancouver.

I am not going to stay in Europe for 10 days hoping that I get a negative test.

Not sure the Canadians will be too keen on US citizens using their country as a stepping stone after the big $$ they have had to pay to get home until recently.

Do you mean you have changed your flights already to avoid testing, or you intend/intended to change them if you test/tested positive ?

Edited by c-leg5
  • Like 1

Mandatory isolation

Foreign nationals with symptoms will not be allowed to enter Canada.

Only Canadian citizens, permanent residents, persons registered under the Indian Act, and protected persons (refugee status) may enter Canada with symptoms or a current positive test result.

You won’t be able to board a flight and enter Canada by air if you have symptoms or have a positive test result taken less than 10 days before your travel. The test must have been taken at least 10 calendar days and no more than 180 calendar days before the scheduled departure date of your flight to Canada. Counting starts the day following the day of testing.

• For example, if your positive COVID-19 molecular test was taken on January 1, the first day you could use it for entry into Canada by land or water would be January 11. If you’re flying, the earliest scheduled departure date of your flight to Canada would be January 11.
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, smarcbie said:

Sorry, I need to correct my C19 variant. I meant omicron which surged in the US around December. Please do post if anyone knows their recent CoVid variant and if they tested positive again.

8 hours ago, vjmatty said:

Yes, when we board the cruise.  I am talking about getting off the ship at home after the twelve day sailing.... there is no flight to return on and no foreign country for me to be stuck in.  If they want us to stay on the ship for the next cruise I will be happy to oblige.

That makes a lot of sense!   However,  I don't think they are going to give you a B2B!  Else, everyone would be trying for a positive test!  Haha.  

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, ldubs said:

That makes a lot of sense!   However,  I don't think they are going to give you a B2B!  Else, everyone would be trying for a positive test!  Haha.  

Or trying to get me to breathe on them!

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, marielco said:

Is there any insurance you can take to cover your expenses if you test positive and have to stay in Europe an extra 7 days?

Things are obviously different in Europe now.  Just back from Baltic cruise. No tests or restrictions on entering any of the four countries we visited - Denmark, Sweden, Finland and Estonia. Nor were there any tests needed to  return home to Ireland. 

I did see a line at the Covid testing center at the airport in Copenhagen. Obviously people returning to the USA or other countries still requiring a negative test to enter. 

Yes.  You can go to Insure My Trip and get policies with Covid coverage:

These plans stand out for their coverage specific to COVID-19 travel concerns. Depending on the plan, coverage options may include cancellation, emergency medical care, medical evacuation, or accommodation coverage in case of quarantine at your destination.

I ran a dummy booking of $10,000 for 2 people ages 65 and 60 from Ireland.  Cost of insurance was between $147 and $282 traveling from 10/26 - 11/13.  Obviously you could play with the website with your specific information, but that should get you started.

On 5/17/2022 at 10:20 PM, cruisingisforme said:

Were there many people ill with Covid? Hope you stay negative. 

I just returned last night to the US from England after an 11 day TA. COVID cases started popping up on day six and the captain announced nine confirmed cases on day nine. The number of people coughing in the theatres is always a good indicator of COVID or some other UR virus infection. By the time we disembarked, the shuttles, buses and then the National Express bus was full of people hacking. I'm sure it was equally unpleasant on the train.  We returned to the USA healthy, thus far.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ldubs said:

It came as a huge surprise to me but staying on the ship was listed on my form letter as one of the possible options for continuing isolation. I didn't inquire about it because my symptoms were bad and I didn't feel safe healthwise staying onboard. 

34 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

What is the sense being on a B2B if you are going to be in a quarantine cabin for the 2nd leg?

They might be in the cabin before the end of the first cruise, unless it is a short 3/4 night sailing.

Perhaps RC should just cancel all B2B sailings to limit the risk.  However, it is what the guests have willingly booked and paid for during a pandemic.  That rests on the guests shoulders. It was the guest's calculated risk and given the option I suspect most of them would roll the dice and take the B2B. 

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

They might be in the cabin before the end of the first cruise, unless it is a short 3/4 night sailing.

Perhaps RC should just cancel all B2B sailings to limit the risk.  However, it is what the guests have willingly booked and paid for during a pandemic.  That rests on the guests shoulders. It was the guest's calculated risk and given the option I suspect most of them would roll the dice and take the B2B. 

Andrew read this thread, you might have second thoughts on staying onboard for the 2nd leg.

42 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

What is the sense being on a B2B if you are going to be in a quarantine cabin for the 2nd leg?

I don't think you are following the conversation from the beginning.... my choice would be to get off the ship and go home, which is why I am glad to be taking a transatlantic home from Europe instead of flying and getting held up in a hotel somewhere if I test positive at the airport.  Ldubs said I could test positive on the ship, I said all they could do is keep me for the next sailing, since I would be home upon disembarking instead of a foreign country overseas, which I jokingly said I would oblige.  The rest you have already.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Andrew read this thread, you might have second thoughts on staying onboard for the 2nd leg.

Once again, it was a joke... the cruise line is not going to make me stay for a b2b instead of letting me off the ship at my home port.

1 hour ago, trippintex said:

IF YOU WANT TO COME HOME MASK MASK MASK ON SHIP AND IN PORT ON BUSES TOURS ALL OVER WHERE EVER YOU GO 

We had covid people in quarantine in room next to us on deck 7 - so its hard to avoid Covid on a ship with air conditioning etc with so many covid cases on board. Deck 3, 6 and 7 all had quarantine covid passengers. Plus people testing positive at the end of the cruise/when they got home.