The Daily for Wednesday 05/18/2022

richwmn

18 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Question for you.  Does anything remain of Canaveral's old quonset hut cruise terminals or did they all get demolished for the new Carnival and RCI terminals?

terminal4.jpg

I got there just once on a 2015 Grandeur of the Seas port call.

Roy

Roy.

There have ben many many changes to Port Canaveral over the last few years. Back in early 90`s we all laughed at the idea of the port becoming a " major cruise terminal" . The construction has been unbelievable with several new terminals for Disney, RCL and Carnival. It is a totally different place from even a few years ago.

Its one drawback of course was the distance from the airport. But it seems that several new transportation companies are filling that gap. THere is every hotel brand imaginable as you come over the bridge .

I do think Brevard County " missed the boat" with the train. So the train will now go from the airport to Miami with no planned stops in Brevard. Not a good thing.

There are ships there almost every day . HAL only stops in a repositioning in the fall. So even though the ships sail by my house, I must go elsewhere to join my CruiseLine of choice.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Good morning. It is a nice day again with temperatures  reaching 72 later.We love to visit museums and were talking about returning to our favorites in NYC prior to the increase in covid cases. We will wait for a while now.I plan to finally see our baby Camilla at the end of June .We will see our Massachusetts  family and then DS and family in New Hampshire.Very exciting.

DD and I discussed getting assistance for Tana while I am gone for a week as it would be hard for her to work and manage the multiple issues that can arise.

We have not been to the port,like the quote and the recipes sound very tasty.The executive chef was leaning toward the last one for tonight.

@kazu,Jacqui, I will be thinking of you as you get through this hard day.

@marshhawk,Ann,hope the vet visit goes well and the kitty does not try to disappear.

Take care everyone 

Terry 

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from central Texas and another hot day.  After two busy days, I think I'll try to catch up on a few things on the computer today.

While we are not big museum people, we do enjoy certain museums, especially when we can go at our own pace.  We really enjoyed the Titanic Museum in Belfast.  The only dirty dishes are hidden in the dishwasher waiting for a full load.  I do my best not to leave any sitting out overnight.  We don't visit the few relatives we have very often.  Trying to plan visits with the DDs and their guys can be a challenge with their busy schedules.

The Ralph Waldo Emerson quote while long is good.  I just wish I could follow it all the time.

Today, we'll pass on the meal, drink, and the wine.

We have not been to Madagascar.  We had to cancel our 2004 African cruise when the two ports we really wanted to visit were canceled.  We were lucky to be able to change to a Cook Islland/French Polynesia cruise.

@grapau27  Graham, what sad news about your friend's son-in-law.

@msmayor  Connie, we've always like the Smithsonian museums, too.  Hope your prediction about work today is wrong, and you have an easy day.

@kazu  Jacqui, hope today is not too bad.  Changing propane tanks is not hard except lifting the full tank.

@Cruzin Terri  Terri, I'm glad the tooth is less painful today.  Glad you could book the Barbados resort for your anniversary.

@marshhawk   Ann, good luck getting the cat into the crate.  Been there, done that.

@smitty34877  Terry, that is great news you will finally meet Camilla and then see your family in New Hampshire.  I like the idea of getting help for Tana while you're away.

@dfish  Debbie, glad the test yesterday cleared you for the surgery.

@JAM37  Julia. I am happy your headache is gone.

Lenda

• Like 24
  • Thanks 3

Good Morning All,

We currently have cloud cover with a promise of sunshine later. We’re still experiencing a bit of smoke smell even though the Coastal Fire is quite a distance away, and fully contained as of yesterday. I think smoke is still trapped below the marine layer.

We have no museums on the agenda until next month when we’re going to the Autry. Last Friday a friend and I took in the Route 66, WARM and Harvey House in Barstow, then Calico.

As far as relatives, am attending a vigil/ rosary for a long time friend. This is probably a good place to ask (being I’m not of the catholic tradition): Is one meant to arrive at the start and stay through, or is it more of a “open house” where people come and go? (Our tradition is more of the later). Is there a “ service”?

Have a great day everyone! His Nibs is demanding his walk!

• Like 24

24 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good morning from central Texas and another hot day.  After two busy days, I think I'll try to catch up on a few things on the computer today.

While we are not big museum people, we do enjoy certain museums, especially when we can go at our own pace.  We really enjoyed the Titanic Museum in Belfast.  The only dirty dishes are hidden in the dishwasher waiting for a full load.  I do my best not to leave any sitting out overnight.  We don't visit the few relatives we have very often.  Trying to plan visits with the DDs and their guys can be a challenge with their busy schedules.

The Ralph Waldo Emerson quote while long is good.  I just wish I could follow it all the time.

Today, we'll pass on the meal, drink, and the wine.

We have not been to Madagascar.  We had to cancel our 2004 African cruise when the two ports we really wanted to visit were canceled.  We were lucky to be able to change to a Cook Islland/French Polynesia cruise.

@grapau27  Graham, what sad news about your friend's son-in-law.

@msmayor  Connie, we've always like the Smithsonian museums, too.  Hope your prediction about work today is wrong, and you have an easy day.

@kazu  Jacqui, hope today is not too bad.  Changing propane tanks is not hard except lifting the full tank.

@Cruzin Terri  Terri, I'm glad the tooth is less painful today.  Glad you could book the Barbados resort for your anniversary.

@marshhawk   Ann, good luck getting the cat into the crate.  Been there, done that.

@smitty34877  Terry, that is great news you will finally meet Camilla and then see your family in New Hampshire.  I like the idea of getting help for Tana while you're away.

@dfish  Debbie, glad the test yesterday cleared you for the surgery.

@JAM37  Julia. I am happy your headache is gone.

Lenda

Thank you Lenda it was extremely sad news yesterday.

She posted a photo of the family at Christmas 😢

They have a 7 and 11 year old child.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5

Just now, grapau27 said:

Graham, how awful for the family and especially the two young children.

Lenda

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

That really is a tragedy.  I can't imagine how awful that would be for that young family.  😢

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  It was a nice morning for a walk, slightly cooler, so we went overboard and walked 3.25 miles!  I hope I can get some things crossed off my to do list today.  I'd better get busy soon.  Thanks to Rich we have lots of interesting days to think about.  Love museums, and visiting relatives, though mine are pretty far away to be able to visit often.  Seems like there's always a dirty dish, just like there's never an empty dirty clothes hamper.  The chicken peaches is sure an odd combination but why not?  It looks good!  Tolanaro, Madagascar was our port of the day way back on March 7, 2021 and no, I haven't been there.  DH is reading a book that talks about some horrific happenings there and he says no we are not going there ever!  All I can do is roll my eyes.  

Thank you Roy for the Care and Celebration lists.  Your cruise is coming up quickly.  And another thing is Debbie's @dfishsurgery is going to happen after I leave town so let me wish you a successful surgery and a rapid recovery, Debbie.  It would be great if I had good enough WiFi to read the Daily while I'm gone, but that's apparently not going to happen.  Princess has already sent out an email telling us our internet may be a mess, so they will extend the internet to everyone and not just those with packages.  Really?  That sounds like a great plan.  Anyway, prayers for all on the list, Debbie during her surgery, the people of Ukraine and all the people helping them.  Congrats to all on the Celebration list.  We deserve some good times, don't we?

My contribution to the Celebrations will be DD's latest Celebration Tree.  She removed the Cinco de Mayo decor and moved on to her patriotic Celebration tree since we have Memorial Day, Flag Day and Fourth of July coming up.  This weekend she gets to pick up her new puppy, Sadie, and they are very excited.  Also next week is the last week of school so she has big plans spending time with Sadie and helping train her.  I'll post photos of Sadie when they come.

The new tree.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL4BtCo9V2Ss7bhoyqzD9LZV7ntXQOewWgszVPDOQPWWw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1652533524

Some close ups of the decoations

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIw-PQ-Uc0TdTBMXi1vntjwKwg5ydwHipy3aIZBf9dNYQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1652533524

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJp9-630MCITG32f6Gv3Wf0rnHjCyIZu59oV2we_kMG9A?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1652533525

Lovely idea to keep the tree decorated differently to suit the time of the year.

It looks amazing.

Graham.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, grapau27 said:

A Friend on RC her son in law aged 41 died suddenly yesterday of a cardiac arrest and it brings it home to you that we should enjoy and make the most of every day.

Graham.

Tragic news but your advice is spot on.

Prayers for the family and friends.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you for today's lists Roy.

Nice to see so many celebrations.

We try and get away for a few days every month.

A Friend on RC her son in law aged 41 died suddenly yesterday of a cardiac arrest and it brings it home to you that we should enjoy and make the most of every day.

Graham.

Condolences to you for your friend’s sons passing so suddenly.

Terri

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone from a sunny Boston.  I would love to visit a museum today.  Every day is no dirty dishes day, my first paying job was as a dishwasher so I learned early on.  I don’t have any relatives nearby that I could visit, I think I’ll email one of them today.  I really like today’s quote, I’m going to print it out an put it on my bedside table.  The meal suggestion and drink sound very nice although I’m not sure what they are yet.  I haven’t been to today’s port but I do have some vanilla beans from there.  Prayers for everyone on our list.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events today!

• Like 19

11 minutes ago, Rowsby said:

@grapau27  Question.....when you leave out of Southampton....do you fly from home...or drive...or take the train....I know it is quite a distance.....??

@StLouisCruisers  Your cruise looks great....!!  Do you have plans when arriving in Southampton...??

We have sailed over 25 times from Southampton

We used to fly but the airline went bust.

We have taken the train several times when it has been no changes. 

The last half dozen times I have driven the 310 miles.

We always stay 1 or 2 nights pre cruise in a hotel near the large West Quay shopping centre in the middle of Southampton which is only a 5 minutes taxi ride to any of the 3 cruise terminals.

My breakfast photos are from Carluccios just inside the mall.

Highclere castle in Newbury the home of Downton abbey is about 35 miles north of Southampton and has to be pre booked on line.

Graham 

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 4

Prayers for all in need including the people of Ukraine.  Many thanks to Rich and Roy and all they do keeping this thread going.

I have been MIA as we are continuing our sailing on Oasis of the Seas.  The days here have been wonderful — and busy.

Update on my sister in law - she is out of the hospital and in another facility.  We will find out more when we get home.  Thanks for your thoughts and prayers.    

Roy - I don’t if you have been on Adventure yet but it is one of my favorite ships.  Enjoy!  Katherine 

• Like 23

Good morning everyone and Happy Wednesday!  

Good collection of days today. We’ve been to some International Museums on our cruises and hopefully we will again in a few weeks. Thank goodness for dishwashers to help with dirty dishes. And I’m very fortunate to have close family members living nearby so we can visit. 

I’ve made a version of today’s meal suggestion. https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/peach-whisky-chicken-2300964

Maybe we can find the wine while we are in Barcelona. It sounds good. 

Terri @Cruzin Terri — So good to hear your tooth is starting to feel better. BTW, we made reservations at Tapas 2254, it looks really good. Thanks for the recommendation.  Your anniversary trip to Barbados sounds great. 

Julia @JAM37 — sorry about your migraine yesterday and I’m so glad you are better today. 

Graham @grapau27 — what a shock about your friend’s son. So young and such a young family. Prayers for comfort to the family. 

@msmayor — I finally caught up with posts from the weekend and it was so nice to hear your daughter is feeling better. I love your idea of nightly meetings with her. I’m sure that’s helping her a lot. 

Also, thank you to everyone who has posted pictures the past few days of Taormina, Kotor, and Dubrovnik. All three are on our itinerary and will be new to us. 

I probably won’t be posting regularly for the next month. I have a lot to do in the next 10 days before we leave and then I’m not sure how good the internet will be. Hopefully I can post pictures occasionally. Just know that I care deeply about my Daily family. We are excited but also a bit nervous because of testing logistics. But we’ll get through it, and it might mean missing some touring. 

Have a great day everyone!

A5600850-D3EB-4D32-B726-D570686455BE.thumb.jpeg.f8e5184cb938fa1f307c7f0878c81088.jpeg

B9FDE39E-85CD-4F47-B360-9DBA25D256BE.jpeg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

Good morning all!

Another drizzly morning here, a good day to catch up on the laundry.  I think there will be some clearing this afternoon for a few hours. 😉  

We have visited many museums around the world while on cruises and land trips.  I try not to leave dirty dishes, and at least get them into the dishwasher to wait for a full load.  Sometimes some soaking is required though.  Yesterday was visit relatives for us, when we saw DD and DGS's.  

This is also the anniversary of the day I met DH.  He was an "older man" of 20, I was 17.  That was 54 years ago.  Another anniversary today is the day Mt. St. Helen's erupted in 1980.  We happened to be living in Portland, OR at the time and for the later eruptions as well.  Our son remembers that day, as he was 6 but our daughter has no memories of it -- she was only 16 months old.  The first time we got no ash in our yard, and also didn't hear it.  The sound waves went right over us.  A phone call from my sister in WA state was the first I knew of it.  Later eruptions we had ash everywhere. I still have a bag of ash I've kept all these years, moving many times around the country. 😅 

Good quote, but easier said than done for some of us.  I love that wine, will pass on the drink, and I'd like the recipe with Balsamic Vinegar or the Asian recipe.  Have never been to the port.

We'll see soon if DH's car starts this morning without having to be jumped.  Yesterday things started working, like the lift gate opening again, and the windows working again -- like it was taking time to reset or something.  I guess we'll find out tomorrow when he takes it in.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Good Morning All,

We currently have cloud cover with a promise of sunshine later. We’re still experiencing a bit of smoke smell even though the Coastal Fire is quite a distance away, and fully contained as of yesterday. I think smoke is still trapped below the marine layer.

We have no museums on the agenda until next month when we’re going to the Autry. Last Friday a friend and I took in the Route 66, WARM and Harvey House in Barstow, then Calico.

As far as relatives, am attending a vigil/ rosary for a long time friend. This is probably a good place to ask (being I’m not of the catholic tradition): Is one meant to arrive at the start and stay through, or is it more of a “open house” where people come and go? (Our tradition is more of the later). Is there a “ service”?

Have a great day everyone! His Nibs is demanding his walk!

I grew up in a very Irish Catholic area.  Those who  wanted to arrive at the start, pay their respects  and leave could do so. Family was always expected to stay for the recitation  of the Rosary.I no longer frequent churches but at the funeral home a Priest will say a few words  and the prayers commence. Over the last 10 years  or so things have become less strict at funerals and wakes and NY can be very traditional. I am sure the family will appreciate  whatever  you decide to do.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Rowsby said:

@grapau27  Question.....when you leave out of Southampton....do you fly from home...or drive...or take the train....I know it is quite a distance.....??

@StLouisCruisers  Your cruise looks great....!!  Do you have plans when arriving in Southampton...??

Sue, we really don't have plans made for Southampton yet.  It's a turnaround day, but I imagine we will walk into town and maybe see if the Duke of Wellington is open for lunch.  I enjoy their fish and chips!  

Just checked and they're open today 11 am to 11 pm so it's an option for lunch.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

We have sailed over 25 times from Southampton

We used to fly but the airline went bust.

We have taken the train several times when it has been no changes. 

The last half dozen times I have driven the 310 miles.

We always stay 1 or 2 nights pre cruise in a hotel near the large West Quay shopping centre in the middle of Southampton which is only a 5 minutes taxi ride to any of the 3 cruise terminals.

My breakfast photos are from Carluccios just inside the mall.

Highclere castle in Newbury the home of Downton abbey is about 35 miles north of Southampton and has to be pre booked on line.

Graham 

I guess you stay at Premier Inn right there at the mall then?  We have stayed there before and cancelled our reservation when we moved our June 29 cruise (Russia) to the May 26 cruise which departs from Ft. Lauderdale instead.

• Like 12

5 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Sue, we really don't have plans made for Southampton yet.  It's a turnaround day, but I imagine we will walk into town and maybe see if the Duke of Wellington is open for lunch.  I enjoy their fish and chips!  

Just checked and they're open today 11 am to 11 pm so it's an option for lunch.

Oh...I didn't realize you were going on.....fantastic...!!!

• Like 13

5 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Graham.

I love yours and Pauline's attitudes. Prayers for the family that they find comfort and peace.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1