The Daily for Wednesday 05/18/2022

richwmn

Good afternoon everyone.  Thanks Rich and all contributors here at the Daily.

DH and I really enjoy museums.  Lucky that we agree on that point.  Dishes here seem often to be rinsed and in the sink, waiting to enter the dishwasher.  The Emerson quote is one to keep in mind always.  

We often visit with relatives.  Yesterday we secured a very nice independent living apartment for DMIL -- nice view and close to all amenities.   She will be ten minutes away from her son, two grandchildren, and four great-grandchildren.  (And moi.) The facility offers an extensive "menu" offering of extra assistance items, as needed.  This is a really positive thing for our family and I'm happy for her.

Congratulations to those celebrating anniversaries.  Springtime is wedding time! ❤️  Lots of you getting out there cruising, too.  Hooray for that!  👍

Thinking of @dfishDebbie with surgery coming up.  Dang...the way they do them nowadays, you'll probably be back swimming really fast.  It's amazing how gentle and noninvasive surgeries have become.  We'll all be rooting for you. 

@kazuJacqui, wishing you strength in lifting that tank and all other heavy loads.  

@grapau27Graham, how very sad about your friends.  Community seems to really rally around in a situation like that.  I hope that young family has a lot of support.

Well, off to do more chores.  Our little dog Pocket stayed with DD while we were on our cruise.  He's still there until we finish a quarantine period and test negative.  I'm trying to get ahead of all the housework so that I can do nothing but walk and play with Pocket once we pick him up.  My baby...

Have a great afternoon/evening, Everyone!  🌹   🌻   🌷

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Monday’s class with an actual barbell also used weights - and was a KILLER.

Was the class called Body Pump?  I take that class at the Y and it is excellent!  Weight bearing exercise keeps our bones strong and burns a lot of calories too.

• Like 10

3 hours ago, kazu said:

Once I get the energy and find the right wrench it will be.  It’s not so much the change as the lifting I’m concerned about 😉 

I don't need a wrench to detach mine.  The empty canister is no problem, but the full one is another story.  I sometimes go three steps and set it down.  Go three steps and set it down.  Repeat 3000 times until I get where I'm going.  But, I always persevered as no one else was going to do it for me.  

2 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

I don't have any peaches in the house, but I remembered a recipe an Australian friend gave me many years ago for a chicken with apricot jam, and I do have that so I will adapt it to match the Chinesey recipe and try that tonight.  I'll let you know how it goes.  Do you think apricot jam and soy sauce would go with balsamic vinegar?   

Sounds good to me!   I'd give it a try.  Balsamic goes with just about everything from spaghetti sauce to ice cream toppings.  

@Norseh2o  Happy Anniversary!

3fd70c4469801cf6583758a9db429c76.jpg.0402c5e7ab8025178b61268c69deda87.jpg

• Like 19

34 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Good afternoon, thanks for the Daily!  Better late to the party than never - I had to be up and out of the house super early to be with DH when the doctor came in to discuss the results of his overnight sleep study ... 3 hours after I arrived.  Sigh.  Neither of us slept well - DH because he was, as he put it, "wired for sound", and I never sleep well when he's not there.  

We enjoy visiting historical museums when we travel, especially when we can take time to wander through them, rather than being hustled from one exhibit to another.   Both DH and I abhor dirty dishes - when I see photos of people with dishes thrown into the sink, it makes me want to just dive in and clean them all up.  Sadly the number of my relatives decreased by one yesterday; my remaining birth uncle (with whom I had a great relationship) passed away at his home from a massive heart attack at age 89.  Although it's sad, it was a blessing that he didn't have a stroke and end up bedridden for his remaining years.    Not sure about the arrangements yet, but DH and I may be called upon to do his funeral.  

@grapau27I am sorry to hear of your friend's SIL; how sad to lose someone so young.

@kazudon't try to take on too much, especially the heavy stuff.  I don't even like changing the propane tank on the bbq, and I'm a big, hefty girl.  Get one of your neighbours to assist with it, please, as I don't want you getting hurt.

@Norseh2oHappy 48th Anniversary - may you enjoy many more loving years together!

@Cruzin TerriI'm glad your tooth is feeling somewhat better; hopefully the pain stops fully soon.

@JAM37 yay that you're feeling better after your migraine.

@Sharon in AZ I'm excited for you and your trip . . . can't wait to hear about it on your return!

So, DH's sleep study results were that his oxygen levels drop while he sleeps, so instead of putting him on oxygen for the night (which would be a pain to travel with), the doctor is getting him fitted for a CPAP.  Hopefully that does the trick and DH will sleep more restfully than he has in the past.  Of course there's a hitch in this - are you ready for this?  There's a shortage of CPAP machines.  LOL  He's at the top of the wait list for whenever they come in, so who knows . . . 

I like today's menu suggestion, and think it would make a great summer time dish served with a light salad on a hot summer's evening.  However, there's leftover meatloaf sitting in the fridge that will be warmed up and served with fresh corn on the cob and a salad tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers for the people of Ukraine and all who are providing aid for them.  We'll clink our glasses together to celebrate all the happiness here and salute the life of my dear uncle.  Stay safe, wear masks when you need to, get your boosters and be well.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Gerry, I'm so sorry about the loss of your uncle.  I agree that it was a blessing that he was quick and he did not linger.  ((((HUGS)))).

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

Good afternoon everyone.  Thanks Rich and all contributors here at the Daily.

DH and I really enjoy museums.  Lucky that we agree on that point.  Dishes here seem often to be rinsed and in the sink, waiting to enter the dishwasher.  The Emerson quote is one to keep in mind always.  

We often visit with relatives.  Yesterday we secured a very nice independent living apartment for DMIL -- nice view and close to all amenities.   She will be ten minutes away from her son, two grandchildren, and four great-grandchildren.  (And moi.) The facility offers an extensive "menu" offering of extra assistance items, as needed.  This is a really positive thing for our family and I'm happy for her.

Congratulations to those celebrating anniversaries.  Springtime is wedding time! ❤️  Lots of you getting out there cruising, too.  Hooray for that!  👍

Thinking of @dfishDebbie with surgery coming up.  Dang...the way they do them nowadays, you'll probably be back swimming really fast.  It's amazing how gentle and noninvasive surgeries have become.  We'll all be rooting for you. 

@kazuJacqui, wishing you strength in lifting that tank and all other heavy loads.  

@grapau27Graham, how very sad about your friends.  Community seems to really rally around in a situation like that.  I hope that young family has a lot of support.

Well, off to do more chores.  Our little dog Pocket stayed with DD while we were on our cruise.  He's still there until we finish a quarantine period and test negative.  I'm trying to get ahead of all the housework so that I can do nothing but walk and play with Pocket once we pick him up.  My baby...

Have a great afternoon/evening, Everyone!  🌹   🌻   🌷

That is good news you found DMIL a nice place to live and within a close distance to family.

Enjoying playing with Pocket when you are out of quarantine.

Lenda

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Good afternoon, thanks for the Daily!  Better late to the party than never - I had to be up and out of the house super early to be with DH when the doctor came in to discuss the results of his overnight sleep study ... 3 hours after I arrived.  Sigh.  Neither of us slept well - DH because he was, as he put it, "wired for sound", and I never sleep well when he's not there.  

We enjoy visiting historical museums when we travel, especially when we can take time to wander through them, rather than being hustled from one exhibit to another.   Both DH and I abhor dirty dishes - when I see photos of people with dishes thrown into the sink, it makes me want to just dive in and clean them all up.  Sadly the number of my relatives decreased by one yesterday; my remaining birth uncle (with whom I had a great relationship) passed away at his home from a massive heart attack at age 89.  Although it's sad, it was a blessing that he didn't have a stroke and end up bedridden for his remaining years.    Not sure about the arrangements yet, but DH and I may be called upon to do his funeral.  

@grapau27I am sorry to hear of your friend's SIL; how sad to lose someone so young.

@kazudon't try to take on too much, especially the heavy stuff.  I don't even like changing the propane tank on the bbq, and I'm a big, hefty girl.  Get one of your neighbours to assist with it, please, as I don't want you getting hurt.

@Norseh2oHappy 48th Anniversary - may you enjoy many more loving years together!

@Cruzin TerriI'm glad your tooth is feeling somewhat better; hopefully the pain stops fully soon.

@Sharon in AZ I'm excited for you and your trip . . . can't wait to hear about it on your return!

So, DH's sleep study results were that his oxygen levels drop while he sleeps, so instead of putting him on oxygen for the night (which would be a pain to travel with), the doctor is getting him fitted for a CPAP.  Hopefully that does the trick and DH will sleep more restfully than he has in the past.  Of course there's a hitch in this - are you ready for this?  There's a shortage of CPAP machines.  LOL  He's at the top of the wait list for whenever they come in, so who knows . . . 

I like today's menu suggestion, and think it would make a great summer time dish served with a light salad on a hot summer's evening.  However, there's leftover meatloaf sitting in the fridge that will be warmed up and served with fresh corn on the cob and a salad tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers for the people of Ukraine and all who are providing aid for them.  We'll clink our glasses together to celebrate all the happiness here and salute the life of my dear uncle.  Stay safe, wear masks when you need to, get your boosters and be well.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Gerry, so sorry to hear of the passing of your dear uncle.  But you are right, thank goodness he wasn't stricken with a stroke leaving him bedridden for ages.  It happened to my uncle and my aunt was worn down trying to sit with him every day for the rest of his life.  They had no children to give her a break to rest.  I hope the final arrangements work out so you can attend.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

@Quartzsite Cruiser I've had battery operated lawn tools for years, and am considering going back to corded, lol. The ones for my trimmer and blower don't last that long any more, and B&D don't even make the batteries now (you can get knockoffs on Amazon). My mower does ok for now, although one battery doesn't last as long; but a new one is $129, which I hate to pay for a battery. I never had any gas tools, as I didn't want to deal with that.

@ger_77 I think part of the problem with CPAP machine availability is the big recall of the Phillips ones, the world's biggest manufacturer of them, and everyone using those had to either jump to another brand or get the newer Phillips model. Also a chip shortage due to the pandemic and supply chain issues. Condolences on the loss of your Uncle.

@AncientWanderer Sounds like a good setup for DMIL. Also thanks for the hose recommendation; I'd looked at that one online, but need a 100' one. I ended up getting a regular type one at Sam's Club.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, richwmn said:

Destination of the Day - Tolanaro, Madagascar

I am surprised there are no pictures of today’s port.  Don’t many ships call there?  My niece was supposed to do a 2 week land trip there last May for her honeymoon but it was cancelled.  They are very into birds, animals and hiking.  They are hoping to go for their 5th anniversary.

• Like 15

3 hours ago, Norseh2o said:

Love the Emerson quote, special today as DH and I celebrate 48 years of wedded bliss.

A very, very happy anniversary to a couple who doesn’t even look 48 let alone married for 48 years 😄 

EE75D2EA-6DD7-42D7-8511-F421986AB29F.gif.584917dc7decce812f351a301dc1e543.gif

56 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

@kazu  Jacqui, while the full propane tanks are heavy, I have managed to carry them and to replace them in the grill.  The ones we have use a connection you can screw on and off without a wrench.

The propane tank is replaced !  I have no idea why DH used a wrench - I didn’t need one 😉 Quite pleased with myself as it is a long jaunt from the shed to our deck where the spare tank is.  I used the dolly I use for earth for most of it - I’m not as stupid as I look 😉 

50 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Thanks - I’m ok.  I may need help unloading the new tank from the SUV and never fear if I do, I will ask.  I had a decent meal planned for last night (I confess I don’t eat ‘decent’ meals all the times these days.  So, tonight will be steak -  I deserve it after the bank and propane - yay me 🙂 

50 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

We'll clink our glasses together to celebrate all the happiness here and salute the life of my dear uncle.

I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your dear uncle.  My sincere condolences, Gerry to you both and to his family.   Sad it has happened but you may be right.  My prayers are with you all.   May he R.I.P. 🙏🏻 

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

@ger_77.

Sending you our prayers 🙏 and deepest condolences for the sad loss of your uncle.

I hope your husband gets a CPAP machine as soon as possible.

Best wishes.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

@Quartzsite Cruiser I've had battery operated lawn tools for years, and am considering going back to corded, lol. The ones for my trimmer and blower don't last that long any more, and B&D don't even make the batteries now (you can get knockoffs on Amazon). My mower does ok for now, although one battery doesn't last as long; but a new one is $129, which I hate to pay for a battery. I never had any gas tools, as I didn't want to deal with that.

Vanessa, we decided to try the battery operated ones since the lawnmower is about 20 years old.  The engine is still good, but we've replaced the transmission twice along with several of the cables.  Also, the choke does not work, and DH has not been able to figure out why.  We have a "work around" which involves putting the throttle on choke and turning the mower on its side for about 10 seconds so the gas will run into the choke.  Then it starts on the first pull.  We're on our second trimmer which is beginning to wear out, but the blower is all right.  I'm just tired of the power cord getting caught under the car and motorhome tires when I move around the port.  Our younger DD has a battery operated mower, and likes it.

11 minutes ago, kazu said:

The propane tank is replaced !  I have no idea why DH used a wrench - I didn’t need one 😉 Quite pleased with myself as it is a long jaunt from the shed to our deck where the spare tank is.  I used the dolly I use for earth for most of it - I’m not as stupid as I look 😉 

Jacqui, that's good news that the propane tank is replaced.  Frankly, DH wondered why you needed a wrench when he read your original post.  BTW, I have used the dolly to move full tanks too.  I can get the tanks our of the back of our Prius in Quartzsite, I just have to watch where my toes are before getting it out.  🤣

Enjoy your steak and wine tonight.

Lenda

• Like 18

12 minutes ago, travelnap said:

I got blocked out of CC today.  I had to go in and delete the cookies and browsing history before they would let me back in.  Anyone else have problems today?  Thanks.

No problems here.  I hope that it doesn't continue for you, or start to haunt the rest of us.  😋

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Our younger DD has a battery operated mower, and likes it.

I've used cordless electric mowers since the 1990s. The first two generations really weren't very good, but the one I bought in 2018, after a flood in my garage, is great, with an 80-volt battery that makes it as powerful as a gasoline mower and that recharges in less than an hour. I also have a string trimmer and a hedge clipper than use interchangeable 40-volt batteries.

• Like 17

23 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

I've used cordless electric mowers since the 1990s. The first two generations really weren't very good, but the one I bought in 2018, after a flood in my garage, is great, with an 80-volt battery that makes it as powerful as a gasoline mower and that recharges in less than an hour. I also have a string trimmer and a hedge clipper than use interchangeable 40-volt batteries.

Glad to know this.  The mower that is supposed to come uses two 40V batteries.  I may do what my DD does if the battery dies while I'm mowing and that is charge the batteries while I do some of the trimming.  I've been wondering about the hedge trimmer, but not sure if I shouldn't stick to the corded one I have since I only use it about twice a year.

Lenda

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

HAPPY 54th ANNIVERSARY of the day you and your DH met.  Hope the gremlins are leaving DH's car alone today.

Thank you Lenda! And I'm happy to report that the gremlins have left DH's car (he's keeping the appointment tomorrow though, to find out what went wrong).  I really hope I haven't jinxed anyone else's car (!!)

Also we have had a battery operated mower and trimmer for years and love them. 🙂 

@smitty34877Terry I'll be watching for new photos of sweet baby Camilla when you see her. Enjoy that visit! 

@kazuJacqui kudos for replacing that propane tank!  And like minds -- we're having steak tonight too. 😉 

@Norseh2oHappy 48th anniversary!

@Vict0riannwe've had that same wind today.  I always get nervous with the tall evergreens all around us.  I agree with Debbie @dfish, the balsamic would be delicious with the apricot jam -- I think I even have a recipe somewhere that is similar.

@ger_77Gerry my deepest condolences on the death of your birth uncle.

@AncientWandererMaxine great news that your DMIL will have an independent living apartment close to you. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

Just checking back in for a quick minute and wanted to say we've had a battery operated lawn mower and leaf blower for the past couple of years.  It's been a game changer.  We have the EGO brand; DH tried a Ryobi but took it back because it wouldn't hold a charge and got the EGO instead.  The mower is self-propelled which is nice because you simply walk behind it, rather than pushing it all the time  The blower is a 2 stage so it can handle a lot more than leaves (think snow in our part of the world) and has taken a lot of shoveling out of the equation for us.

@kazuglad you figured out a way to get the propane tank moved around - smart girl you are!

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

I want to thank everyone who shared their experiences with battery powered lawn equipment.  I think they will work out.  My concern has been that living in the country, our yard is rough and has contributed to the problems with our gas powered mower.  Both the old mower and the new one, if it ever comes, are self propelled.  In fact the new one will adapt to my walking speed.

There have been great improvements in rechargeable batteries in recent years.  We'll just have to remember to remove the batteries from the charger once they are fully charged.  If not, the batteries will be drained of their charge.

Lenda

• Like 12

1 hour ago, ger_77 said:

@kazuglad you figured out a way to get the propane tank moved around - smart girl you are

Not smart at all Gerry - it’s a long walk from the shed to the bbq.  Necessity is the mother of invention - very true these days 😉 

• Like 16