The Daily for Wednesday 05/18/2022

richwmn

3 hours ago, kazu said:

The propane tank is replaced !  I have no idea why DH used a wrench - I didn’t need one 😉 Quite pleased with myself as it is a long jaunt from the shed to our deck where the spare tank is.  I used the dolly I use for earth for most of it - I’m not as stupid as I look 😉 

Yeah!!!  

3 hours ago, kazu said:

Thanks - I’m ok.  I may need help unloading the new tank from the SUV and never fear if I do, I will ask.  I had a decent meal planned for last night (I confess I don’t eat ‘decent’ meals all the times these days.  So, tonight will be steak -  I deserve it after the bank and propane - yay me 🙂 

Get the dolly and just lift the new tank down onto it and you're home free.  Steak sounds good.  I had salmon on the grill. 

3 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Gerry, so sorry to hear of the passing of your dear uncle.  But you are right, thank goodness he wasn't stricken with a stroke leaving him bedridden for ages.  It happened to my uncle and my aunt was worn down trying to sit with him every day for the rest of his life.  They had no children to give her a break to rest.  I hope the final arrangements work out so you can attend.

I think the thing that most people fear is the lingering illness.  My mom was not ill for long before she died, but she kept saying she was sorry for being a burden.  She was far from a burden, but no one wants to be in that position.  

@ger_77 I am sorry to hear of the death of your uncle.   Warm thoughts and healing for you and may he rest in peace.

3 hours ago, JazzyV said:

@ger_77 I think part of the problem with CPAP machine availability is the big recall of the Phillips ones, the world's biggest manufacturer of them, and everyone using those had to either jump to another brand or get the newer Phillips model. Also a chip shortage due to the pandemic and supply chain issues. Condolences on the loss of your Uncle.

My bipap was a Phillips and I was very fortunate because it was 5 years old and Medicare paid for a new one.  I went with a ResMed as I like that machine better.  I never liked the Phillips one and I'm glad it is gone.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

Both the meal and the wine of the day sound so good. Now if I could just find someone to cook for me.

For once I am right on, I visited my DBIL and DSIL this morning, gave them a copy of my itinerary and confirmed that they will be able to take care of my cats while I am on the cruise.

No photos of today's port, it must not be a very popular one.

I am looking forward to see current photos of Baby Camilla and of Pocket.

Jane

• Like 16

We were on Madagascar as part of our 1996 'Islands of the Indian Ocean' cruise on the Marco Polo. I can't post the pictures today as the pictures are at home and I'm still in SW Florida continuing a joy-filled Visit Your Relatives Day (or week, or month...). I'll try to remember to make a delayed post of Madagascar pictures in June although I'm sure much has changed during the intervening twenty-six years.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 0106 said:

Was the class called Body Pump?  I take that class at the Y and it is excellent!  Weight bearing exercise keeps our bones strong and burns a lot of calories too.

It was called RIP. Total strength focused, no cardio. I had never had a barbell on my shoulders before. I was amazed how quivery some of my muscles were. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

@grapau27

Graham & Pauline, I am so sorry to read about the tragic passing of your friend’s son. He was so young. Prayers for all of you. 

@ger_77

Gerry, I just read that you lost your dear Uncle. I am happy you have some great memories to hold on to, as well as the thought that his passing was swift. Prayers for your Uncle and your entire family.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, 0106 said:

I am surprised there are no pictures of today’s port.  Don’t many ships call there?  My niece was supposed to do a 2 week land trip there last May for her honeymoon but it was cancelled.  They are very into birds, animals and hiking.  They are hoping to go for their 5th anniversary.

I  spent 5weeks  in Majunga  in  a  military job we  had  to convert an

0ld  building  into  an  old  folks  home and  me  and  my   2       buddies did  all the  pluming for  the  water. We  were to stay  at   the  RAF base but  no  room  so  we  had  to  stay in  the

town  Hotel and had  great  food an red  wine every  night an

a  great  breakfast  every morning. We  drank the wine because  it  was  cheaper  than  bottled  water and  it  was  all  good. I  had some  photos

but  they  got  lost when  I  got  back to  England.

Jim.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

I ended up using rice vinegar, two kinds of soy sauce, chilli garlic paste, and sesame ginger sauce.   (Also the Australian recipe called for onion soup mix and boiling water, along with the apricot jam. )  It was pretty good, I thought it was too spicy, but Pat said it could have been spicier!  DD wouldn't eat it, because the onion soup mix had beef in the base and I hadn't checked it before I used it.  I think she bought the mix, so I took it for granted it was okay.   Will try it again after I make some more apricot jam.

We can eat it again tomorrow if my arm is sore from the shot.

IMG_0008.thumb.jpeg.152551ad2a4be0cdc8d00ac62adbe147.jpeg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Gerry @ger_77, I am so sorry for the loss of your Uncle.  Prayers and thoughts for you and your family.

Maxine @AncientWanderer, the center where your DMIL will be sounds great.  My DM's has extra services also and she is quite happy there.  She plays cards (mostly bridge) about 4/5 days a week and has a regular Wednesday night poker game she attends.  It cracks me up because I have to get her rolls of nickels from the bank just for her poker.

Question for my Daily friends who posted on Sunday that they had been to Taormina.  We have a tour scheduled there that I am really hesitant about because it's listed as strenuous.  It visits the town of Castelmola where there are a lot of steps and an uphill walk.  Have any of you been there?  I'm probably going to cancel this but I am just interested if it is worth it or not.  I'd prefer to save my bad hip for another day.  😉 

5 hours ago, travelnap said:

I got blocked out of CC today.  I had to go in and delete the cookies and browsing history before they would let me back in.  Anyone else have problems today?  Thanks.

I haven't had any problems like that and I haven't had to clear my browsing history for a few months.  It was really bad for me for quite a while.  I recently discovered that if I am on my phone I can refresh my screen and things seem to reset.  I have had to log back in occasionally. 

Have a good evening everyone!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Gerry @ger_77, I am so sorry for the loss of your Uncle.  Prayers and thoughts for you and your family.

Maxine @AncientWanderer, the center where your DMIL will be sounds great.  My DM's has extra services also and she is quite happy there.  She plays cards (mostly bridge) about 4/5 days a week and has a regular Wednesday night poker game she attends.  It cracks me up because I have to get her rolls of nickels from the bank just for her poker.

Question for my Daily friends who posted on Sunday that they had been to Taormina.  We have a tour scheduled there that I am really hesitant about because it's listed as strenuous.  It visits the town of Castelmola where there are a lot of steps and an uphill walk.  Have any of you been there?  I'm probably going to cancel this but I am just interested if it is worth it or not.  I'd prefer to save my bad hip for another day.  😉 

I haven't had any problems like that and I haven't had to clear my browsing history for a few months.  It was really bad for me for quite a while.  I recently discovered that if I am on my phone I can refresh my screen and things seem to reset.  I have had to log back in occasionally. 

We went to both and it wasn’t an issue.  As long as you’re normally mobile,  I think they are trying to weed those out who aren’t. 

• Like 11

9 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Sharon, That’s so funny about poker night.  I love that!
About Taormina…I vote no, double no on the tour.  It’s the most charming and walkable place you could ever find.  (Except maybe Sintra in Portugal.)

We did a ship transfer, unguided, into Taormina, and just wish we’d had longer there.  We took tons of photos. The whole place is postcard material. You’ll maybe have time for one of your lovely local meals, and I envy you that.  Wonderful place.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

I ended up using rice vinegar, two kinds of soy sauce, chilli garlic paste, and sesame ginger sauce.   (Also the Australian recipe called for onion soup mix and boiling water, along with the apricot jam. )  It was pretty good, I thought it was too spicy, but Pat said it could have been spicier!  DD wouldn't eat it, because the onion soup mix had beef in the base and I hadn't checked it before I used it.  I think she bought the mix, so I took it for granted it was okay.   Will try it again after I make some more apricot jam.

We can eat it again tomorrow if my arm is sore from the shot.

IMG_0008.thumb.jpeg.152551ad2a4be0cdc8d00ac62adbe147.jpeg

I have the apricot jam/onion soup recipe, too.  My maid of honor served it at my bridal shower.  Happy memory and love the way you doctored it up.  😋

• Like 8

37 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

Sharon, That’s so funny about poker night.  I love that!
About Taormina…I vote no, double no on the tour.  It’s the most charming and walkable place you could ever find.  (Except maybe Sintra in Portugal.)

We did a ship transfer, unguided, into Taormina, and just wish we’d had longer there.  We took tons of photos. The whole place is postcard material. You’ll maybe have time for one of your lovely local meals, and I envy you that.  Wonderful place.

I second this.  We also took the unguided ship transfer and had a wonderful day.  No need for a tour. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

I second this.  We also took the unguided ship transfer and had a wonderful day.  No need for a tour. 

And I third it.  Taormina itself is beautiful.  You can easily spend a good deal of time there and be totally enchanted 👍 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

@Sharon in AZ  Sharon, a little late, but I wanted to add my two cents worth.  We've been to Taormina twice.  The first time we took the ship's transfer from Messina and walked around on our own.  The second time, we tendered into Naxos.  There we got the local bus for the transfer to Taormina, and again had plenty of time.  We prefer transfers over tours so we can see what we want at our own pace.

Lenda

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

We prefer transfers over tours so we can see what we want at our own pace.

I so agree with this.  In Taormina by taking the transfer I was able to sit at the top of the ancient theater as long as I wanted, just soaking in the atmosphere and beauty,  imagining how it was in those long ago times.  I kept thinking how I wouldn't have been able to do that on a tour.  It was magical.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

We loved Taormina, it's definitely worth the effort.  Castelmola is much more hilly, lots of steps and slopes;  although it has great views of Mt. Etna, I don't think I would venture there again (6 years ago I was much less creaky).

• Like 1