Live from the Ruby Princess - 10 day Alaska Inside Passage 5/20-5/30

7seascruising

12 hours ago, caribill said:

What are the production shows for this cruise? Thanks.

Thanks also for posting the MDR menus. Some disappointments:

o No flourless chocolate cake (used to always be on first evening)

o No flavored ice creams (do they have them in MDR at lunch?)

o No Crème brûlée (used to have it every evening)

3 flavors of house made ice cream today at lunch Zuppa Inglese, chocolate and vanilla.  Also mango house made frozen yogurt.  

My chicken tacos and hotdog at the salty dog grille for lunch yesterday were really great. Even my fries were so hot they stayed that way till I was done. No small feat given the weather!  

my Baja deck balcony room is in excellent repair and my steward, Michael, is outstanding.  The light in the closet is no longer a motion sensor light!  It’s on a switch again. 

The QR code for Good Spirits at Sea showed the old menu.  I know there was a  menu on the Discovery in April with a set of new drinks being rolled out and I thought I saw some of those new drinks here on the Ruby in either February or April. IDK it’s all a blur. Someone asked for a review of Good Spirits ……..if you search my activity you’ll find all the recipe cards with pictures of all the drinks from when I earned my shirt.  I think from January. All the drinks are great. Every one will have their own favorites understandably. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, grimpil said:

Has anyone been using the pools or is it too chilly? Wondering how much they are heated. I dont mind using the pool when it is cold out as long as the water is a little temperate

Every time I’ve walked by the pools, there’s been netting over them due to the “rough” seas. It would make swimming much more exciting than usual. 

7 hours ago, caribill said:

Are bars of soap available for your cabin from your cabin steward or is the liquid soap all that is available?

We had a bar face soap that was on the bathroom counter and the liquid soap, with the liquid shampoo in the shower.  You can ask for more soap (bar) if needed.

• Thanks 1

Calling room service has improved enormously on this sailing. Only once out of 6 or 7 calls did I hang up bc they didn’t answer. Whether I order on the ap or on the phone my order has arrived in under 15 minutes hot and exactly correct. Big improvement from my personal experiences even as recently as April 23-30. 

We sailed through some stunning scenery yesterday that Normally we would go through at night. Missing Icy Straight was a disappointment but the scenic sail was quite a treat. I saw orcas breaching and full on whale tail, eagles, seals galore but no bears. I’ll try to post some pictures. I only have pics of scenery.  

• Like 6

We were originally scheduled to get to endicott arm at 5 am so this might have been missed by some who aren’t up that early. And the light certainly would not have been as good. Of course these pictures fail to capture the true glory of the scenery. 

086511C0-8080-4252-8D22-544923F2B63E.jpeg

81BEEA5A-09AF-485B-AB2D-2D8E5B03B5BB.jpeg

0C9EC622-3F30-4E54-9C80-E470FB08EC7C.jpeg

6AD9C90B-6D9C-481C-93D0-1C0D3E90FF37.jpeg

146B9983-31FC-4D14-A777-A433D8CB9F28.jpeg

87BEAF60-AAB4-4DFF-B890-EC45CD619E15.jpeg

9DF4BD2D-7728-4129-BC7E-F070B16B108A.png

B8A44887-9CEB-4EA1-8712-4ED8D242F563.jpeg

9C6C012D-A8C0-4A1A-BC96-40193FD1ECB7.jpeg

3D2C7421-346D-4EB1-A1FB-98F0E85EF28E.jpeg

Edited by HaveDogWillTravel
  • Like 9

On 5/22/2022 at 4:01 PM, weedpindle said:

On this and previous cruise. Staff shortage is the reason they are open alternating mights

They started shutting one down on the cruise that began April 23rd, and crew shortage (galley) was the excuse given. It's sad that they haven't been able to do anything to correct the problem yet.

• Like 1

Besides what was previously mentioned I noticed no Chocolate Journeys desserts. 😞  I also could not tell which menus were formal nights as the usual formal night menus (surf and turf, lobster tails) were not there.

2 minutes ago, dickinson said:

Besides what was previously mentioned I noticed no Chocolate Journeys desserts. 😞  I also could not tell which menus were formal nights as the usual formal night menus (surf and turf, lobster tails) were not there.

They normally show formal nights on the day 1 patter.

Lobster is usually the last formal night.

Edited by PacnGoNow

Hi everyone!  Sounds like things are going well on the Ruby.  Can someone be so kind as to tell me if they are having Blackjack or Slot tournaments?  Back in October on the Majestic, they did not have tournaments due to Covid.  Hopefully things have changed now.  Thanks.

I have not posted to Cruise Critic previously, only have been reading it for many years.  We are currently on this Ruby sailing to Alaska.  This is our 40th Princess Cruise and I must say has been a disappointment.  The itinerary changes I am not sure were warranted.  We have sailed to and from Alaska in much worst seas and have kept the schedule.  The ice flows last evening in Endicott Arm did not appear as significant as previous trips, but then there was the abrupt turnaround, missing Dawes glacier.  Haines this morning was the first planned on time scheduled stop of the cruise.  Great weather and a nice excursion here.  This is our 4th post Covid cruise and obviously the most impacted by the reduced crew among other issues.  This is the first time our Dine-My-Way was change even though our reservations were made 5 months ago.  First cruise where there is no evening turndown service available, even upon request.  The Medallion internet is worse than previous to Medallion internet times (and now we get to pay for it).  No elite toiletries (gold bag, blue bag or any color anything) not going to be available.  First time for us there is no vodka on the ship available for the mini bars.  The poor shore excursion desk was swamped due to Icy Strait excursions initially being cancelled due to much snow on top of the mountain (three days to get that cancellation letter, although missing the tickets in the cabin was a clue) and then finally the port being skipped.  The brightest spot has been our dinner in Sabatini's was significantly better then the meal we had in March on the Grand Hawaii cruise.  That was the worst Sabatini's in our previous 39 Princess cruises.  First time cruisers may want to rethink going on the Ruby out of San Francisco.  Unfortunately many of the blue medallions aboard are not impressed and commenting positively about their first cruise experience.  As I tell myself, you pay your money and take your chances.  This cruise will be at the lower end of our great cruise list and Alaska is a great cruise experience.  Last note, some of the crew is saying Princess is not hiring the available crew, as they have many friends waiting to come back but just can't get a contract with the agencies.  So unfortunately I think this is a Princess controllable issue.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Haines is a seriously gorgeous port. The bald Eagle foundation was really, really great!  The hammer museum was fun and I sent 30 photos to DH who now wishes he were here. Lol. The Haines Sheldon Museum was a great cultural museum that I enjoyed quite a bit. All are easy walks for those without mobility issues. That said I have plantar fasciitis and did this just fine. 

• Thanks 1

We have had turn down service every night. We just asked the cabin Stewart. 

Regarding the missed port, We were late leaving SF and spent the first 24 to 36 hours doing 10 to 12 knots.  This is my 39th Princess cruise and can say the seas were very rough and we had 30+ knot headwinds   Due to these facts I speculated in this very thread last Sunday, before the bridge announcement, we might not make Icy Point due to weather 

Please explain the “much snow on top of the mountain” comment, I do not understand how this impacted the Icy Point cancellation.  My private Icy Point excursion operator shared they had cruise ship visits on both Saturday and Sunday.  Plus, the Celebrity Milenium was at Icy Point today and left a couple hours ago. 

Edited by tcdcruiser

Look at that! Butter on ice and bread in a basket on not just my table but all tables around me. Lol let the bread and butter talks begin. 

and on another side note.  I’ve sent laundry every day of the sailing. I’ve gotten it back the next evening as part of my elite free laundry perk. Yeah!!!! 

FB978C2A-27D0-47CF-8C2B-9E6351C5B3FF.jpeg

• Like 9

Just so y’all don’t accuse me of being too positive. 
OMG look at the glass they served my white wine in when I asked for a “good” glass. 

if you don’t see the error good for you. While my wine may not taste its optimal best I will say it is better than in that thick rolled lip glass we call the joker in wine tasting. 

A5549C6E-1267-48B1-BF99-70A15979B9BB.jpeg

• Haha 4

43 minutes ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

Look at that! Butter on ice and bread in a basket on not just my table but all tables around me. Lol let the bread and butter talks begin. 

and on another side note.  I’ve sent laundry every day of the sailing. I’ve gotten it back the next evening as part of my elite free laundry perk. Yeah!!!! 

FB978C2A-27D0-47CF-8C2B-9E6351C5B3FF.jpeg

Doing the happy dance seeing bread and butter back on the table. I didn’t realize how much I missed them on past 4 cruises until I saw your photo. Thank you!!! 💃 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cruiserdf said:

I have not posted to Cruise Critic previously, only have been reading it for many years.  We are currently on this Ruby sailing to Alaska.  This is our 40th Princess Cruise and I must say has been a disappointment. 

The brightest spot has been our dinner in Sabatini's was significantly better then the meal we had in March on the Grand Hawaii cruise.  That was the worst Sabatini's in our previous 39 Princess cruises.  

Glad you decided to join the ranks of posters.  You have a lot to make up to match your 40 cruises experience.  

Interesting that you felt your experience at Sabatini's on the Grand was less than stellar.  For me, it was the opposite.  I generally dislike Sabatini's compared to the Crown Grill, but, after being dragged to the restaurant, I was a willing participant for a second round.  

Someone asked about the pools. I’ve noticed some of them and the hot tubs open with steam rising out of them on all days but that 13 ft day. Today at 5 am 2 pools and one aft hot tub were open. Others may have been I just didn’t notice. 

BEFD1031-CC24-4C2A-A547-3E211287A03E.jpeg

99E4F1BE-1DBE-430B-A289-720B4161DEA3.jpeg

1FE0399E-2898-4D13-99EC-BC1C80C80727.jpeg

Edited by HaveDogWillTravel
  • Like 1