Back from Freedom, has anyone else found MDR food quality lacking?

It's been a few years since last sailing on Adventure, but the food was so much better then. We had shrimp cocktail with tiny shrimp, so had to order two.  I remember having jumbo shrimp on a martini glass!  The salmon was on the bland side and the creme brule was overdone. I'm not a food snob, but I expected better for the MDR. I will say, the escargot was good and so was the seafood alfredo. But fish and chips... I can get that at Applebees. 

I haven't had this to be the case recently.  I was on the Navi (6 times), the Vision b2b, and the Jewel b2b in the last 3 months, and found the food in the main dining room to be quite good.  I think I may have not liked my entree twice in 58 days of sailing, and they replaced it with something else.

Maybe it depends on the cook? I found the food on grandeur to be more seasoned than on liberty. Even the poblano soup had a extra kick to it. Just spicier on grandeur and more seasoned. .. on pretty much the whole menu. More spicy.

40 minutes ago, LB_NJ said:

I was on Anthem in February and found the food to be subpar.

I know food is subjective, perhaps we have been on too many cruises and have just gotten used to the same menu on every ship we've had the pleasure of sailing on!

We were on Anthem in March. Subpar is probably a fair assessment, it has definitely been better.

Hopefully Voyager next week will be back on par. 

Edited by icsys

Just off Wonder, the food was just OK.
Speaking to a chef, he informed us that they  have to pay more for better meat so they are obtaining  lower grade and are  making more curry's  to hide the low grade meats

3 minutes ago, sowhat said:

Just off Wonder, the food was just OK.
Speaking to a chef, he informed us that they  have to pay more for better meat so they are obtaining  lower grade and are  making more curry's  to hide the low grade meats

Surprised they would share that

• Like 3

2 hours ago, pcur said:

I haven't had this to be the case recently.  I was on the Navi (6 times), the Vision b2b, and the Jewel b2b in the last 3 months, and found the food in the main dining room to be quite good.  I think I may have not liked my entree twice in 58 days of sailing, and they replaced it with something else.

I would be afraid to get a replacement dinner, I would just get up and go somewhere else. Not sure they like complainer's and no idea what you would get in the next dish? 😲

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

I would be afraid to get a replacement dinner, I would just get up and go somewhere else. Not sure they like complainer's and no idea what you would get in the next dish? 😲

Now that's just silly

• Like 2

Just now, John&LaLa said:

Now that's just silly

How so, just not eat much of it. I wouldn't say it sucked or anything, just finish the meal and go to another venue.

I'm sure the chefs and kitchen help don't enjoy hearing the food that sent out of the kitchen is not acceptable.

Rather not make a scene and just get up when done dessert and go somewhere else to get some food and not make  a big deal out of it.

When the plate goes back almost untouched they will get the idea, Don't need to really tell them. It's not worth giving anyone a hard time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

How so, just not eat much of it. I wouldn't say it sucked or anything, just finish the meal and go to another venue.

I'm sure the chefs and kitchen help don't enjoy hearing the food that sent out of the kitchen is not acceptable.

Rather not make a scene and just get up when done dessert and go somewhere else to get some food and not make  a big deal out of it.

When the plate goes back almost untouched they will get the idea, Don't need to really tell them. It's not worth giving anyone a hard time.

You done lost your mind. 

Both Laura and I have both sent food back. Either on our request, or the waiter noticing we hadn't touched much. Nothing out of the ordinary to do so. No conspiracy theories on how they will do something to the food is warranted.

SMH

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

I'm sure they would much rather hear if its not acceptable, and to say 'no idea what you would get in the next dish?' isn't really fair.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

You done lost your mind. 

Both Laura and I have both sent food back. Either on our request, or the waiter noticing we hadn't touched much. Nothing out of the ordinary to do so. No conspiracy theories on how they will do something to the food is warranted.

SMH

I'm pretty sure they were glad to get rid of me. The last leg I got the short ribs and 2 pieces. I'm sure they put 2 pieces when they know its fat and gristle. The waiter was trying to give me extra. I maybe could eat 3 bites. 

I went to WJ. I didnt want to hold up my table by sending it back but it was not edible. The WJ had duck that tasted good. 

4 minutes ago, icsys said:

I'm sure they would much rather hear if its not acceptable, and to say 'no idea what you would get in the next dish?' isn't really fair.

Good old Urban Myth

I got news for some of y’all after having done the ships tour before……….. The MDR food and the Windjammers food Is all cooked in the same kitchen by the same cooks. 👀

• Like 2

We felt the food on our last Allure cruise a few weeks ago had really gone downhill when compared to our Allure in September.  We were very surprised by the difference.

Sherri🙂

• Like 2

2 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

You done lost your mind. 

SMH

Wouldn't you like to be a fly on the wall and hear what they said about you when sending food back. No Chef ANYWHERE likes to see that. They might smile when they pick up your plate but once they pass through the opening into the kitchen it's a whole different look on their face and what they are saying under their breathe.

You can believe otherwise but think you might be wrong.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Wouldn't you like to be a fly on the wall and hear what they said about you when sending food back. No Chef ANYWHERE likes to see that. They might smile when they pick up your plate but once they pass through the opening into the kitchen it's a whole different look on their face and what they are saying under their breathe.

Depends on what you tell them🤔🤔😉

But keep being you

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

Chef?  On a cruise ship, the waiter will just go in and grab another dish whether the same or something else you want. I doubt the chef would get involved at all nor would he care about one dish out of two thousand. 

BTW, I’ve been on 7 cruises on 5 different ships lately and the food in the MDR was subpar on every one. 

Edited by HicksRA
  • Like 2