The Daily for Tuesday 05/31/2022

richwmn

28 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Bruno. That was a very well written and thorough review. Thanks for sharing. Just a suggestion; maybe it would be helpful to post this review also on the main Hal CC page so those that don’t read the Daily could benefit. Thanks!

Thanks Aliaschief!  I did exactly that.

Also, this was obviously just a comparison, I'm going to give the daily some feedback on how it was personally given our health concerns and unfortunately that part of it wasn't so great. 

Edited by atexsix
  • Like 18

4 hours ago, ger_77 said:

I love coconut macaroons . . . yum; macarons, not so much. 

I don't like coconut, so no macaroons for me; I also do not like nuts, so the macarons with blanched almonds would also be out.

• Like 16

I salute, Save Your Hearing Day.  Unfortunately, my husband did not "save his hearing" during his younger days and now he is hard of hearing.  When he started turning the TV volume up to 100, I insisted he get a hearing aide.  He has one but it frustrates him. He does not wear it at home.  If I ask, he will sometimes wear it when we go out.   It is particularly difficult to wear with a mask.  If he removes his mask, the hearing aide often comes with it.  Thoughts ?  Advice?

I just try to grin and bear it....

The Trouble with Hearing Loss Memes - SayWhatClub

The Trouble with Hearing Loss Memes - SayWhatClub

38 Funny Hearing Stuff ideas | funny, bones funny, hearing

38 Funny Hearing Stuff ideas | funny, bones funny, hearing

I Has A Hotdog - Dog Pictures - Funny pictures of dogs - Dog Memes - Puppy  pictures - doge

• Like 18
  • Haha 13

6 hours ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone.

It is another beautiful morning here in northeastern Ohio.  Bright sunshiny skies will also bring us very warm temps today.  It is expected to be in the high 80s to low 90s.  Tomorrow will bring relief.  Thankfully, I have the shelter of my air conditioned home to escape the heat if it gets oppressive.  I loved the macaroons we used to get in Riquewihr, France, when my sister lived in Strasbourg.  They were really, really good.   I know how difficult it was for my dad who lost part of his hearing when he was in the Navy.  Hearing aids helped some, but he couldn't afford the really good ones.   He would avoid situations where he felt uneasy because he couldn't hear or follow conversations, which isolated him in later years.  When I would spend my week each month with him, I made a point of getting him out of the house everyday, even if it was to look at different walls than the ones at home. We'd go for coffee, ice cream, lunch, a drive, the mall.   He liked to sit in the mall and people watch.  

@GTVCRUISER Happy Birthday!

@Vict0riann's Pat

101-Best-Happy-Birthday-Memes-12-720x720.jpg.ed7b296b090b509ff48ca22b4a7244b4.jpg

@cunnorl Thank goodness your daughter was ok.   What a fright that must have been for you.

@Cruzin Terri Thank you for your generosity in passing on Eugene's chair to someone else in need.  You are what the world needs more of.  

Today's meal is interesting.  It is popular in South India and is a type of crepe. It is usually eaten at breakfast with a filling inside. Urad dal can be replaced with black lentils if you can't find urad dal.  If you have an Indian grocer nearby, I would try there.    https://recipes.timesofindia.com/us/recipes/masala-dosa/rs54289752.cms

712695222_masaladosa.jpg.fd07a4d2a7b5613c4c7f9ab5d317e190.jpg

This recipe comes from the Times of India and uses onions.  https://recipes.timesofindia.com/us/recipes/onion-rava-masala-dosa/rs75598971.cms

1397141045_masaladosa2.thumb.jpg.096d564f87d8bcb8ed5d33aa73ede3ca.jpg

This recipe is for the potato sabzi filling.  You'll want to make the crepes ahead.  https://www.saveur.com/masala-dosa-recipe/

1791682641_masaladosa3.jpg.e9c5a18b17e856de7e9182293083d005.jpg

This next one claims to be the originator of masala dosa.   https://muthuhealthyrecipes.com/mysore-masala-dosa/

1462220819_masaladosa4.thumb.jpg.25dcbe1f5cfa6e62b3f6d9c81950b078.jpg

Prayers for all who need them, especially Ukraine, victims of gun violence, and Daily family members struggling with a challenge in life.  Cheers to those who are celebrating.  Wishing you all a wonderful day.  

@dfishDebbie.

Sending you our best wishes for your op tomorrow.

G&P x

• Like 14

@0106 @summer slope

perfect description of my life with DH and his hearing issues!!

He "forgot" to bring his hearing aids on the last cruise, but was very pleased that he remembered the batteries that he forgot the time before!

When I come back from running errands he is usually watching the TV with the volume turned up painfully loud (at least to me)

TV ears are the best invention ever.

M

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, Live4cruises said:

@summer slope, do TV Ears work well for your DH?  I had not heard of them, and just did a little research.  If these help, it would be a godsend for my DH!  Thank you for any comments you can share.

They work great, we have a set in the bedroom and living room. Easy to set up and use. 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Live4cruises said:

@summer slope, do TV Ears work well for your DH?  I had not heard of them, and just did a little research.  If these help, it would be a godsend for my DH!  Thank you for any comments you can share.

Not summer slope but my brother-in-law uses TV ears and we are all happy he does.He uses them when others’s are around. If he didn’t we would all need ear protectors!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Does this mean you have to sit in a corner facing the wall for the entire flight?😉

I had a successful upgrade bid to business, so I think it just means that I have to show the documents at that airport.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Good morning everyone.

Thank you for the lists to both Roy and Rich.

@Vict0riann Happy Birthday to Pat.

@MISTER 67Congratulations on your hole in one.  I am not a golfer. Took lessons and it was a disaster.  I did get a hole in one playing mini golf—LOL.

@dfishGood luck tomorrow with your surgery.  You certainly will be in my prayers.  Thank you for the kind words. 

@Sharon in AZGlad you made it safely to Barcelona.  Enjoy that wonderful city.  

@HeartgrovePrayers for both your brother and sister

@rafinmdSafe travels home and hope you enjoyed your cruise.

We had a quiet Memorial Day. Didn’t do much.  Had some Hot Dogs, Corn on th Cob, Potato Salad.

In the afternoon I received an email from @dobiemom that she was interested in the wheelchair for her mom.  I am only mentioning her name because she posted it on the Daily yesterday,

As it happens, her sister lives in Jacksonville, FL and was traveling to Beaufort, SC yesterday.  So she stopped at my exit off I-95 last night and we met and I gave her the wheelchair.  She will be using it when her Mom travels to California to see @dobiemom.  It was a perfect setup.  I did not have to worry about sending it and they were so grateful for it.  We were happy that someone who can use it now has it.  Eugene (my brother in law) would be so happy that someone now is using it.

An all around good situation.  It will be put to good use.

If I missed anyone, sorry.  Prayers for everyone here on the Daily.

Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

God bless,

Terri

You are a lovely person Terri.

Graham.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

After all the climbing yesterday at Delphi I was in too much pain for even more at the Acropolis, so just hung around drinking coffee most of the day. Here are the only Plaka cats that didn't run from the camera.

IMG_20220531_212448834_HDR.thumb.jpg.88662c66cc7f78c91aabf44b547ea3ae.jpg

• Like 29
  • Haha 3

19 minutes ago, Live4cruises said:

Yes they work great and we can keep the volume good for me. 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

After all the climbing yesterday at Delphi I was in too much pain for even more at the Acropolis, so just hung around drinking coffee most of the day. Here are the only Plaka cats that didn't run from the camera.

IMG_20220531_212448834_HDR.thumb.jpg.88662c66cc7f78c91aabf44b547ea3ae.jpg

cute photo.

what ship are you on?  I have heard a lot of hard walking in Greece areas

• Like 11

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily and to all contributors.

I'll pass on macaroons; I don't like shredded coconut; I'll take macarons instead (crushed almonds). Saving your hearing is important as is not smoking or smoking cessation!

Interesting quote. I'll pass on the meal, drink (no basil), but take the wine.

I haven't been to Japan. Thanks for the pictures @bennybear.

Hot! It's a scorcher here today, and humid. I had to go to get lab work this AM, and at 10 it was already bad in the sun. Now that that's done, I will take my first injection of the new med tomorrow. I did some watering of plants when I got home, and came inside quickly. I don't use the central AC that often, but I will today. There will be storms the next 2 days.

Sadly, an 18 month-old was shot here on Sunday afternoon in a drive by shooting, right in the middle of town! The shooter was trying to get someone in the car, and instead the baby was shot. Senseless and awful!

@rafinmd Beautiful sunrise. Safe travels home.

@MISTER 67 Congrats on the hole in one yesterday! 

@Vict0riann Happy Birthday to Pat!

@dfish Prayers for you undergoing surgery tomorrow, and a speedy recovery.

@Sharon in AZ Enjoy Barcelona, and thanks for sharing the experience! 

@Heartgrove Sorry to hear about your brother's continued swallowing issues. Hopefully it can improve without resorting to a feeding tube. Prayers for your brother, SIL and sister.

@ottahand7 Thanks for checking in under unfavorable internet circumstances.

@aliaschief Thank you for your service. Growing up, on Memorial Day we also went to the cemetery and tended to the graves of relatives.

@ger_77 The farm breakfast sounds good. 

@Cruzin Terri So generous of you to offer the wheelchair, and how fortunate things lined up as they did for it to be picked up!

@Cruising-along Safe travels!

@atexsix Welcome home Bruno, and thanks for the review. Did you do a home Covid test? Hopefully it's only a cold.

@kochleffel Traveling is much more hassle these days. Cute cats!

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone. 

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 3

Thank you to @grapau27, @JazzyV, @smitty34877, @Cruzin Terri, @Cruising-along, @cat shepard, @cunnorl @Quartzsite Cruiser, for you kind wishes for a successful outcome tomorrow.  I have no jitters about this surgery, so I am sure everything will go according to plan and I will be on my way home about this time tomorrow.  

3 hours ago, summer slope said:

I found two recipes for Strawberry Basil Spritzer.

Ingredients
1 oz strawberry-infused Tito’s Handmade Vodka Make it!
3 oz white wine
3 oz sparkling water
2-4 basil leaves
Directions
Muddle basil leaves and infused Tito’s Handmade Vodka into your glass of choice.
Add ice and remaining ingredients.

and:

Ingredients
2 parts Skinnygirl® Bare Naked Vodka
2 large Strawberries
3-4 pieces Basil
Splash Soda Water
Lime Wedges

Instructions
Muddle strawberries in a glass. Add ice, basil and Skinnygirl® Bare Naked Vodka. Top with soda and garnish with a fresh lime wedge.

Screen Shot 2022-05-31 at 11.37.38 AM.png

This drink sounds really refreshing.  I think I'd like recipe #1.  

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

cute photo.

what ship are you on?  I have heard a lot of hard walking in Greece areas

I was on the Norwegian Jade, but I've been in Athens since Sunday. Delphi was an 11-hour bus trip from Athens.

• Like 15

Some thoughts on hearing loss and hearing aids.  I lost a lot of hearing while in the Navy.  Probably caused be being a fuse setter in a five inch gun mount and as the Ground Electronics Officer at a Naval Air Station in the Philippines at the end of the Vietnam war.  I remember getting a physical there and the doctor remarking "If you buy a stereo here, don't pay very much for it, because you can't hear it."  I kind of ignored it until a few years later I was teaching and having to have my students repeat their questions told me I had to do something about it.  Even though I was retired from the Navy and entitled to medical care from them, they didn't do hearing aids.  I had to get them from the VA hospital.  Originally, they said that they would supply the aids and batteries, but it was classified as a zero per cent disability.  That way they didn't have to pay any disability pay.  Not sure if the hearing is worse now, but they may have gotten more liberal and they now consider it 40% disabling.  About every five years or so they have provided newer hearing aids.  The present ones work great.  They fit inside the ear and have rechargeable batteries so I lay them on the charger before I go to bed at night.  I can adjust the volume using my cell phone.

Ray

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3

Good afternoon.  It's hot and humid with clouds and wind, but I don't think we will get much if any rain.  We broke down and turned the water sprinkler on today.  This is supposed to be our rainy season, and we normally don't need to run the sprinkler until July or August.

The house is clean and the yard looks nice -- at least for a while.  I think tomorrow will be an easy day after yesterday and today.

The good news is DH talked to Amazon again and after finally talking to a supervisor the problem with two of the missing packages resolved.  Although UPS says one has not been delivered, somehow, it got to Amazon.  The supervisor said that since we never got the first mower, it is not returnable.  The third package is out for delivery again.  🤞  Fingers crossed it will arrive today as scheduled.  UPDATE! Just as I finished typing, UPS just showed up with the package.  👍

@ottahand7  If you switch phone carriers the new company should be able to transfer everything from your old phone to your new phone.

@Cruising-along  Safe travels and enjoy your visit to Yellowstone.

@sailingdutchy  Thanks for the pictures of Pat and Ann, @Vict0riann.  They are a delight to visit with on a  BHB.

@atexsix  Bruno, thank you for your thoughtful review of your cruise and the comparison with HAL.  Hope your feel better soon, and I second the suggestion to self-test tomorrow or the next day just to be sure.

@bennybear  Thank you for your lovely pictures of today's port  Maybe we'll get there someday.

@kochleffel  Delphi is a workout, but worth the effort.  We did it on our own in 2017, and we did the Acropolis 19 years ago when we were younger.  😉

@JazzyV  Vanessa, I'm glad you will be getting your first injection of the new medicine tomorrow.  So sad about 18-month baby.

@aliaschief  Bruce, I second your sentiments to @kazu Jacqui.  She has always been a big part of the Daily.

Lenda

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2