Solos locked out of Serenade Pacific Coastal except balcony

I booked a solo cabin on the serenade and while unlikely have still been watching for price drops. Imagine my surprise when i did a search and found interior and ocean cabins were sold out. I decided to try searching for 2 people since i didn't recall the cabins being sold out and those cabins were available to book for 2 people. They are just locking out singles. Is it common for them to do this? So sad. Another knock against singles.

7 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

Sorry i think i know why solos are locked out - because only guaranteed cabins are offered and aren't solos not allowed to do guarantees?

Every once in a while I can do a gty as a solo, but mostly I cant. Makes no sense to me why solo cant book gty on rcl. 

I was looking at a cruise last week and it wouldn’t let me book a GTY as a solo.      Must be trying to get every dollar they can right now.   

9 minutes ago, brillohead said:

This is when it helps to have a TA.... 

or just book direct. It has been an online problem for  a long time that’s why people book TBA. I remember this same discussion years ago.

Edited by c-leg5
  • Like 1

I'm a solo cruiser and I also noticed this morning that two Caribbean cruises (from MIA and FLL) I'm booked on and was price checking also had no availability "SOLD OUT" for interior or OV cabins just since yesterday. There are tons of cabins... not guarantee...  but you have to specify at least 2 people now online to see them.

This appears to be a new change as of June 1.

Edited by twins_to_alaska

43 minutes ago, twins_to_alaska said:

This appears to be a new change as of June 1.  I'm a solo cruiser and I also noticed this morning that two Caribbean cruises (from MIA and FLL) I'm booked on and was price checking also had no availability "SOLD OUT" for interior or OV cabins just since yesterday. There are tons of cabins... not guarantee...  but you have to specify at least 2 people now online to see them.

Nope, seen Dozen's Sailings like this for Months. Also a few Members have commented on this in other Threads. Then only Cruise SOLO last 20+ yrs, interesting once in while I've Booked a Fake Second passenger and this was Cheaper then me SOLO. Actually did Cruise 3yrs ago where told my Daughter she was Booked on a Cruise with me, in name only. This was assigned Cabin/non-guarantee and was Cheaper then me SOLO 340+ points. When watching prices even though travel SOLO always check both ways now

Edited by ONECRUISER

9 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Nope, seen Dozen's Sailings like this for Months. Also a few Members have commented on this in other Threads. Then only Cruise SOLO last 20+ yrs, interesting once in while I've Booked a Fake Second passenger and this was Cheaper then me SOLO. Actually did Cruise 3yrs ago where told my Daughter she was Booked on a Cruise with me, in name only. This was assigned Cabin/non-guarantee and was Cheaper then me SOLO 340+ points. When watching prices even though travel SOLO always check both ways now

And, the second person becomes a no-show?  (Asking for a friend).

I thought that this was just a limitation due to Royal's ever-stellar IT department, and if you called (or booked through a TA), you had no problem booking it solo?

@Ourusualbeach can you confirm if these are able to be booked solo through a TA without having to book a fake second person?

9 minutes ago, pcur said:

And, the second person becomes a no-show?  (Asking for a friend).

Yup, Sorry Daughter Booked you a Cruise but you are not going... She's in College, has young one to watch anyway

Edited by ONECRUISER

I have been price checking a lot the last few days, and I am being offered solo GTY cabins on many that I'm checking.  I hate GTY cabins, and won't book them.  I am fussy about my cabin location.

I am also wondering if this GTY push is going to turn off potential new bookings.  It's not worth it to me to book a GTY and end up over some evening entertainment that goes on until 11pm.

15 minutes ago, brillohead said:

I thought that this was just a limitation due to Royal's ever-stellar IT department, and if you called (or booked through a TA), you had no problem booking it solo?

@Ourusualbeach can you confirm if these are able to be booked solo through a TA without having to book a fake second person?

Guarantees have to be booked with a fake second person even through a TA in most cases

• Thanks 1

It is a longstanding issue.  Guarantee cabins are often offered to doubles but not to solos. Larger parties (3-4) sometimes find gty cabins but it seems substantially less often than doubles.  Solos can book for two and anticipate a refund of tax and port fees when second is a no show (or bring somebody if the right person happens along)