Shareholder OBC

jimbo1683

Just a reminder to folks (as this thread has gotten lengthy). You can buy the Carnival shares outright, of course. However if you have an investment account like an IRA, etc. you can direct your broker to buy 100 shares from your existing funds. No out-of-pocket expense that way.  

On 6/21/2022 at 3:06 PM, Host Hattie said:

It's good to hear that the process is working more smoothly than in the past.

Ha! Didn't work smoothly for me. In Sept, I was on QM2 for the 2-week Canada cruise. The OBC didn't show up. Stupidly, I forgot to take hard copy with me--I should have known, as Cunard has screwed up this before. I used an online fax service, since the directions discouraged email as "not secure." Front desk kept asking me to forward my email. I explained that I hadn't emailed, but I had a confirmation email from the fax service. It took four or five visits to the front desk before I could get to someone above the desk clerks. I could get a statement, but it wasn't blacked out, so there was no way I was going to give them that. Finally, someone listened, emailed shoreside, and I got my OBC an hour and a half later. 

So today, I used email (despite Carnival's warning that it isn't secure) to get my OBC from HAL. In five minutes, I received an automatic confirmation that the email was received and two minutes after that, an email from a person saying the OBC would be in my account. HAL has never got it wrong. I would estimate that Cunard has been about 50% going back over all the years I've had the stock. 

I try not to think about the share price. I thought it was low when I bought it, and it was comparatively low to what it had been before. But the price was definitely higher than it is now.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, alanrow said:

The easiest way is to send a secure message to them with the Booking Number , Date , Ship name

and they will do the rest .   Do not forget it must be more than 3 weeks before departure .

Being a relatively new shareholder [really advantageous price 👍 this summer] my certificate was sent online. I copy the cert., blocking personal details and send it to shareholderbenefits@carnivalukgroup.com

5 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Being a relatively new shareholder [really advantageous price 👍 this summer] my certificate was sent online. I copy the cert., blocking personal details and send it to shareholderbenefits@carnivalukgroup.com

Can I ask what personal details you block out? What's the minimum they need to check? Thanks

27 minutes ago, elmsliebev said:

Can I ask what personal details you block out? What's the minimum they need to check? Thanks

Here's what the instructions state at https://www.carnivalcorp.com/static-files/50351a91-4dc0-4f6b-bfec-684647e6129f (emphasis mine).

"Please provide by email, fax or by mail your complete legal name, reservation/booking number, ship and sailing date, along with proof of ownership of Carnival Corporation or Carnival plc shares (for example, photocopy of shareholder proxy card, a dividend tax voucher or a current brokerage or nominee statement with your current mailing address and your brokerage account number blacked out) ...".

I must say I haven't paid close enough attention in the past since I've only blacked out the brokerage account number on the statements that I've submitted.

Edit to add: I think the part about blacking out your current mailing address is relatively new. I don't see that in older versions of the instructions.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

"Please provide by email, fax or by mail your complete legal name, reservation/booking number, ship and sailing date, along with proof of ownership of Carnival Corporation or Carnival plc shares (for example, photocopy of shareholder proxy card, a dividend tax voucher or a current brokerage or nominee statement with your current mailing address and your brokerage account number blacked out) ...".

Those are the details I black out.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Easy when you have purchased with Equiniti and have share certificate. Just e-mail full name, date and cruise number and share certificate number. Never had a problem since purchase in 2011.

As a total newcomer to buying shares off my own bat, I do as instructed but I take comfort in the fact although I might not have got quite as low a share price as Big Mac, it wasn't far off!

As long as the obc is still forthcoming, the certificate should pay for itself by the start of '25  and if it doesn't, it's still fun watching the ups and downs of a stock I have personally purchased, all on my own and with no help from anyone. .Almost grown up behaviour. 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Here's what the instructions state at https://www.carnivalcorp.com/static-files/50351a91-4dc0-4f6b-bfec-684647e6129f (emphasis mine).

I must say I haven't paid close enough attention in the past since I've only blacked out the brokerage account number on the statements that I've submitted.

Edit to add: I think the part about blacking out your current mailing address is relatively new. I don't see that in older versions of the instructions.

To confirm: I have a copy of the instructions for claiming shareholder OBC from our last two crossings in 2022 (instructions downloaded in July of that year) and 2018 (instructions downloaded in February of that year). The part about blacking out one’s address is in the 2022 version, not in the 2018 version. 

Interesting, since one’s address would be attached to the same reservation for which one is applying for shareholder credit.

Edited by ExArkie
  • Like 1

I just booked the Caribbean Celebration for 12/22/2024.  My travel agent sent me Cunard's form to request OBC and it says to do it with in 6 months of sailing and no later than 2 weeks before sailing.

I know with my 200 shares that I get only one benefit, at least on HAL and Carnival but my TA thought I'd get double.  I don't think so but am I wrong?

Edited by I Luv Crusin

1 hour ago, I Luv Crusin said:

I just booked the Caribbean Celebration for 12/22/2024.  My travel agent sent me Cunard's form to request OBC and it says to do it with in 6 months of sailing and no later than 2 weeks before sailing.

I know with my 200 shares that I get only one benefit, at least on HAL and Carnival but my TA thought I'd get double.  I don't think so but am I wrong?

Sorry, the OBC is the same no matter how many shares over 100 you have. I've never seen a form. I just fax or email a cover note and copy of the proof of ownership. 

1 hour ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Sorry, the OBC is the same no matter how many shares over 100 you have. I've never seen a form. I just fax or email a cover note and copy of the proof of ownership. 

Yes, that's what I've experienced.  She said that someone at Cunard told her that but I thought she was mistaken, although hoped otherwise.  I attached the form that Cunard uses.

ShareholderForm.pdf

1 hour ago, I Luv Crusin said:

Yes, that's what I've experienced.  She said that someone at Cunard told her that but I thought she was mistaken, although hoped otherwise.  I attached the form that Cunard uses.

ShareholderForm.pdf 179.04 kB · 5 downloads

It will not let you open form says it's restricted.

25 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

It will not let you open form says it's restricted.

12 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

It let me download and open it.

Interesting. It let me download and open it as well. It looks like a standard Cruise Critic attachment to me. At first I thought it might be some sort of US versus UK issue but since @exlondoner can download and open it, that's not the case.

Edited by bluemarble

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/23/2022 at 7:32 PM, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Ha! Didn't work smoothly for me. In Sept, I was on QM2 for the 2-week Canada cruise. The OBC didn't show up. Stupidly, I forgot to take hard copy with me--I should have known, as Cunard has screwed up this before. I used an online fax service, since the directions discouraged email as "not secure." Front desk kept asking me to forward my email. I explained that I hadn't emailed, but I had a confirmation email from the fax service. It took four or five visits to the front desk before I could get to someone above the desk clerks. I could get a statement, but it wasn't blacked out, so there was no way I was going to give them that. Finally, someone listened, emailed shoreside, and I got my OBC an hour and a half later. 

So today, I used email (despite Carnival's warning that it isn't secure) to get my OBC from HAL. In five minutes, I received an automatic confirmation that the email was received and two minutes after that, an email from a person saying the OBC would be in my account. HAL has never got it wrong. I would estimate that Cunard has been about 50% going back over all the years I've had the stock. 

I try not to think about the share price. I thought it was low when I bought it, and it was comparatively low to what it had been before. But the price was definitely higher than it is now.

The share price is low because of all the extra debt they took on to make it through the pandemic years with no income, now made a bigger burden because of rising interest rates, and residual restrictions such as having to run with some cabins vacant for potential quarantine. 

One other line has already gone bankrupt, and Carnival faces a challenging task to return to profitability - while the ships will continue to run, it isn't impossible that they are forced into a refinancing that puts some or all of the existing shareholders' capital at risk.  So always DYOR!

On 12/23/2022 at 11:24 AM, BigMac1953 said:

A friend kept urging me to buy shares. Luckily I kept forgetting.

Bought 500 a few months ago at £5.46 ea.

Pleased that I didn't take his advice a few years ago.

It of course all depends on both when you purchased the shares and how many cruises under the Carnival banner one has completed.

For those of us who have Cunard, P&O, Princess and even Carnival ships to our credit credits I'm pretty sure if I spent the time going back to research my OBCs my returns, including the past wonderful dividends, I'm confident my original purchase price would have been well covered....

1954943802_carnivalSharepurchasedetails.thumb.jpg.2786422563b47a8ff97a7e6945919406.jpg

Edited by Solent Richard
  • Like 1

On 12/23/2022 at 7:32 PM, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Wise chap. It's only when discussions like this come up that it even crosses my mind.