The Daily for Friday 06/03/2022

richwmn

17 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Was that the first  time you did a fleet report while aboard a BHB?

Roy

I was on board NSDM and NADM in February of '19 so I would have done the report from them. I'm pretty sure I was already doing the report at that time.

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 3

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  We have dragon boat races come through our city every year in support of Breast Cancer Research - it always brings out a huge crowd and raises a generous amount of money.  I'm actually glad we don't have a Krispy Kreme franchise in our city, as it would be dangerous for our wardrobes.  Tim Hortons does enough damage, thank you.  With the cost of gasoline (1.95 per litre or $8.87 per Canadian gallon), we might have to look at getting bikes again.

I had a great lunch with a cousin yesterday; she brought along a bunch of photos of my birth mother to share.  Looking through the photos, I realize my sister looks more like our mother, while (although I have no idea who he is) I guess I must favor my birth father.  She wanted me to see them before we leave for the internment service tomorrow, which I thought was very kind of her.  

It's quite disconcerting hearing how many of the Daily family and their acquaintances are getting Covid.  I guess the variants are mutating as we speak, and now the WHO is talking about the latest concern - Monkey pox.  Sheesh! (excuse the bad word)

716162820_Whatnext.thumb.jpg.190e01fcbcc0357c2ed31e350bc782c9.jpg

Not a lot going on here today which is nice, and the temperature is supposed to hit a high of +24 (75F), which will be a gorgeous day for early June.  I'm concerned about our Daily family in Florida and along the path of the scheduled tropical storms.  Hopefully you'll all be safe from flooding.  @dfishI hope you had a restful night and are feeling less sore today.

I'm going to give today's drink of the day a hard pass, but would love a glass of the wine.  I'll be sure to try it when we're in Spain in late October.  Today's menu suggestion is a rice and salted cod dish that I'm pretty sure DH would reject, so I'll skip on past that one.  However, looking up one of the recipes (and translating it from Portuguese), I'll bet it would make a great cold salad if you used salmon instead of salt cod.   Hmmm.   Well, it's Friday night pizza night at our house, so I'll let DH peruse the menus to see what appeals to him and we'll order that to have on our deck for dinner tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers for the people of Ukraine and all in the US who are suffering from senseless gun violence.  We'll raise the glasses and celebrate all on the happy list.  Stay safe, wear masks when you need to, get your boosters, and be well.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 36

Good morning from a slightly rainy and muggy NY. I have always loved donuts but try not to have them now. 
If I shut my eyes I can still see myself in the audience for a Jimi Hendricks concert. It was the only time I saw him live but I was so amazed by him.They used to have concerts in Central Park at the ice skating rink….I am dating myself as it sure was a long time ago.

We have not been to the port but would love to see pictures.

The executive chef has decided that our dinner should be take out tonight and I am very happy about that. We are making soup  for lunch.
The two dogs got good reports from the vet and  came home to sleep.They even went into the room to see the doc together.It is nice to see how they have bonded.They are both eight now and considered middle aged!

• Like 28

Good Morning Dailyites! @Sharon in AZin Villefranche check out the small very old catholic church stain glass window. You will notice that one of the panes is a bit off in color.  It was replaced back in the early 60's because some idiot child throw a rock at someone tormenting them and it hit the window instead.  Oh, I was the one who threw the rock.  Yup.  We spent a week there while we were living in France.  The priest and my father were both very angry with me.  My throwing arm improved over the years, but it likes casting a line better than throwing rocks.

I started celebrating Doughnut day yesterday, but am currently eating an apple fritter from the left overs.  We live 5 miles from a SarahDonut, and while the Krispy Kreme fresh is the best, Sarah is the best for the variety.  I swear by them.  Voted best Donut in Atlanta , and I agree. 

I could not sleep last night, too much coffee while at "the desk" and my co worker and I were having a texting marathon with the boss to somehow keep enough hours to continue to work for her through the summer months.  She always says she wants to keep us, but in order to keep us, in her group only, she needs to find us more work.  So she is going to see if she can get permission to train us on her other two campaigns and just keep us full time, rotating us to where she needs the work.  So I slept until 8:45.  But didn't go to sleep until past 3.  No coffee after 3.  Unless i'm working till 11 p.m. .  

h0D6450E6

• Like 31

Good morning from central Texas.  It looks like we have two more days in the 80sF and low 90sF before we have a string of days in the high 90s and low 100s.  I think it will be a hot summer here this year.

@richwmn  Rich, yes, hot original Krispy Kreme doughnuts are the best.  I saw where today they will be giving each customer a free doughnut  🍩 of their choice.  Since the nearest Krispy Kreme is about a 120 mile roundtrip, it really wouldn't be free for us. 😪  We no longer have bicycles, so we cannot celebrate the day.  We were fortunate enough to see part of the Chinese dragon boat races in Victoria in 2018 while on the Zaandam.

DSC04123.thumb.JPG.c2e3c4e9c6ce7036f627d78b893ef70c.JPG

The Jimi Hendrix quote could apply to all of us.  Sadly, he was another of the group of entertainers who died when they were 27.

We'll wait to see the recipe.  DH might like to try the drink, and the wine sounds interesting.  Thanks to @ger_77 Gerry's description of the meal, we'll pass.

We were supposed to tender at Hiva Oa in 2004 when we were on Tahitian Princess, but with an unprotected port, it was too rough.  These are the pictures I took from our balcony.

IMG_3973.thumb.JPG.097c8cc03cd7b6f167fdfa9fb6576d7f.JPG

IMG_3974.thumb.JPG.e4ecb47337b459e08cb88f2611e653c4.JPG

Maybe  we'll be back some calmer day.

I hope all the Dailyites in the path of Tropical Storm Alex and all others are safe amd there is little damage or flooding.

@aliaschief  I hope your foot is better soon.

@cat shepardAnn, two more appropriate one-liners.

@smitty34877  Terry, good that the dogs got a good report from the vet.  It's even better that they are bonding so well.

Lenda

• Like 31
  • Thanks 3

Good morning everyone from a wet and gloomy SoFlo, it started raining here a few hours ago but the heavy rain is not forecast until this afternoon. Only June 3 and under a tropical storm warning. Flooding seems to be the main danger with this storm. I have moved the balcony furniture inside just in case. Hopefully by Sunday it will be past us and we keep power on, I've got movies to watch!!

Hope everyone has a great weekend and stays safe.

Mary 

• Like 31

Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebration Report, and thank you Debbie for today's recipes. And thank you all for being here!

My brother was moved to a rehab facility Wednesday afternoon. No update yet beyond that but hope to hear something today. At least he is out of the hospital!

We rescheduled our two cruises and pushed the whole trip back by one month plus shortened by one week. I feel better mentally with what is going on in my family right now.

In place of the Oosterdam Adriatic cruise and Rotterdam Transatlantic, we will be onboard the Oosterdam, along with a few other Dailyites, for the "Spanish Farewell" Transatlantic from Barcelona. Our plans still include land trips to Florence and Venice. To that we have added a MSC Spendida cruise in a Yacht Club stateroom. Included will be sailing to a port that is on my bucket list, Taranto. This is the site of an Italian Navy base that was made famous in early WWII. The British Navy attacked the Regia Marina in the harbor with aerial torpedoes. It is said that gave the Japanese the idea for Pearl Harbor. 

Stay Safe!

- Jack

• Like 31

Much of yesterday evening became a 2-hour Zoom meeting.  The Cub Pack affiliated with my fire department's spring campout was scheduled for this weekend.  Unfortunately, the Cubmaster, the only one with the training required for a campout, came down with Covid.  The leaders had a lot of discussion of options including "borrowing" a leader from another Pack, and doing just a daytime awards program.  They eventually decided that the best option was to camp independently as families at a local campground that had some adjacent sites to reserve.  The awards part of the activity will be deferred to the fall.

Fortunately, the cubmaster has just cold-like symptoms but is devastated about the change in plans.

Roy

• Like 18
  • Thanks 8

Good morning everyone. Ive been eating way way too many Dunkin Donut muffins. I was stoppiing by almost everyday for either a corn or chocolate chip one and am stopping that bad habbit now.

Yesterday I played mahjongg for the first time since the start of the pandemic. it was great to feel the tiles in my hands. 

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 27

1 hour ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  We have dragon boat races come through our city every year in support of Breast Cancer Research - it always brings out a huge crowd and raises a generous amount of money.  I'm actually glad we don't have a Krispy Kreme franchise in our city, as it would be dangerous for our wardrobes.  Tim Hortons does enough damage, thank you.  With the cost of gasoline (1.95 per litre or $8.87 per Canadian gallon), we might have to look at getting bikes again.

I had a great lunch with a cousin yesterday; she brought along a bunch of photos of my birth mother to share.  Looking through the photos, I realize my sister looks more like our mother, while (although I have no idea who he is) I guess I must favor my birth father.  She wanted me to see them before we leave for the internment service tomorrow, which I thought was very kind of her.  

It's quite disconcerting hearing how many of the Daily family and their acquaintances are getting Covid.  I guess the variants are mutating as we speak, and now the WHO is talking about the latest concern - Monkey pox.  Sheesh! (excuse the bad word)

716162820_Whatnext.thumb.jpg.190e01fcbcc0357c2ed31e350bc782c9.jpg

Not a lot going on here today which is nice, and the temperature is supposed to hit a high of +24 (75F), which will be a gorgeous day for early June.  I'm concerned about our Daily family in Florida and along the path of the scheduled tropical storms.  Hopefully you'll all be safe from flooding.  @dfishI hope you had a restful night and are feeling less sore today.

I'm going to give today's drink of the day a hard pass, but would love a glass of the wine.  I'll be sure to try it when we're in Spain in late October.  Today's menu suggestion is a rice and salted cod dish that I'm pretty sure DH would reject, so I'll skip on past that one.  However, looking up one of the recipes (and translating it from Portuguese), I'll bet it would make a great cold salad if you used salmon instead of salt cod.   Hmmm.   Well, it's Friday night pizza night at our house, so I'll let DH peruse the menus to see what appeals to him and we'll order that to have on our deck for dinner tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers for the people of Ukraine and all in the US who are suffering from senseless gun violence.  We'll raise the glasses and celebrate all on the happy list.  Stay safe, wear masks when you need to, get your boosters, and be well.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

9AEC96A4-475A-498F-84B5-547BD722C379.jpeg.ba9aa9d3d4b4ee7baa39504ecf7be68c.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 24

Good morning from Yellowstone!

We’re up and getting ready to start our 2nd day here. The weather has been great. 
Yesterday we saw a mama black bear with her 3 cubs who couldn’t have been more than a few weeks old. Right outside our car window!—a ranger kept the traffic moving and I didn’t get a photo but SIL got a good one. 

Today will be another full day of geyser peeping and hiking. The grandsons are working on their Junior Ranger booklets in hopes of advancing to bear level. Having a great time, prayers for all who need them and cheers for all on the celebration list!

A292E92A-CC71-4231-A9A4-E7F7CA4E1687.thumb.jpeg.4c7518df77b6abcdd7e3fbd57b3214f3.jpeg

My shirt says “Do not pet the fluffy cows”

4EA50E82-8258-4D13-B0E3-C67EBDE40958.thumb.jpeg.fbf4bcf1bc034d28db366a43ee2a211f.jpeg

Lots of babies, I love Yellowstone in the spring!

DC9A3E2F-9D49-49D3-9D80-67E12F7BFCA0.thumb.jpeg.cb9117d657a602b48975573727e7c17b.jpeg

Beautiful colors at Norris Geyser Basin

8B86B4E6-9888-4E39-A1E8-5FE6CE86B1D7.thumb.jpeg.66c1ca6c38bba0978e4c7d6643234871.jpeg

C837A931-0857-4F7D-89FF-05D9933A57BA.thumb.jpeg.a1cd419caac52c478b5eebf6c2ffbf5f.jpeg

08B53EBC-4C43-4EB4-8758-E03E31C6AE13.thumb.jpeg.70324b074b2b8dd98eef1117b175c56a.jpeg

Tired boy!

4C629C45-3731-4114-B843-19D8EC8C3ACF.thumb.jpeg.3beef12bd49ac77e3970c50165a21b49.jpeg

• Like 37
  • Thanks 5

3 hours ago, summer slope said:

Bloody Mark:

Ingredients
1 part Maker's Mark® Bourbon
4 parts Tomato Juice
1 small scoop Horseradish
3 dashes Tabasco® Hot Sauce
4-6 dashes Worcestershire sauce
3 turns Peppercorn
2 dashes Celery Salt
Half Lemon Juice

Instructions
Fill tall glass with ice and all ingredients. Stir or shake and pour over rimmed glass with ice.
Optional garnish: Parmesan-and-chili-powder-rimmed glass (rim the glass with leftover lemon and dip rim into parmesan and chili mixture).

Screen Shot 2022-06-03 at 7.29.14 AM.png

No thank you!

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

Good morning, everyone.  

My doctor's visit was a good one and the doctor likes my magenta hair.  The blue has mostly washed out now.  He was just envious that I had hair to do that with as he has lost most of his.  He admitted that!  Anyways, he showed me the films of the adrenal mass and how they measure them and we talked about the blood tests and agreed that we should redo it all in October.  I already have the CT scan scheduled.  It was worth the effort and time as I got a lot more information from him and have a better understanding of the situation.  

I'm a little less sore than yesterday and tomorrow will venture out for laps around the block.  I may not do as many as before, but even one lap will be better than just sitting here thinking, what do I want to do now?  I cleaned before I had surgery so I don't need to do that for months!  Well, maybe in a week.  I would like today's drink and I'll  have to try that when I get on a BHB this summer.  

Today's meal is another salted cod recipe.  It is said that every good wife in Spain and Portugal know at least 150 ways to fix codfish.   That may be the secret to a long life.  I think Gerry's @ger_77 suggestion of making it with salmon and using it as a summer salad is a good one.  I'd skip the rice and use tomatoes, zucchini, peppers, etc.  You'll probably have to translate this one:   https://www.pingodoce.pt/receitas/arroz-de-bacalhau/

555938983_codfishrice1.jpg.200bf36116349e7371f3c15ade590c31.jpg

Just two recipes for today.   They were all pretty much the same.   https://www.easyportugueserecipes.com/bacalhau-rice-arroz-de-bacalhau/

654043299_codfishrice3.png.8292129aa9168c534ffff4c0cd8a47c6.png

Prayers for all who need them, especially Ukraine, the victims of gun violence, and our Daily family members who are struggling with challenges.   Cheers to those who are celebrating.   Wishing you all a great day!   

• Like 27
  • Thanks 8

I would be willing to try both the meal of the day and the drink if I had the ingredients, which I don't. I like doughnuts but don't have any of those, either.

I'm feeling mildly ill and took a covid home test this morning; negative. A colleague says that everyone is having allergy trouble. My state's protocol is to test three days after returning from travel and I'm speaking at a public event tomorrow night, so I will need to test again tomorrow. Until then I'm staying out of circulation, although I will have to go to my office for a few minutes, after closing time.

purr.thumb.gif.d45c39f5887624292e2d5af0e6bf8c37.gif

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, all! Somehow it is Dragon Boat Festival, and I have not made Zongzi yet!😱 That will get corrected today! The quote makes a very good point, although I never thought of it that way before. The Zongzi will be tonight’s dinner, although I like the sound of the meal. The drink and the wine are worth exploring.

This morning I made coffee and took it outside to enjoy in the garden before,the rain came. After the last two days of heat, the roses are putting on a show. The moment I stepped out the door, the rain came down in torrents, so the roses are being admired through the window instead.

Yesterday we went to the travel doctor to start prepping for the World Cruise. After studying our itinerary he gave us typhoid and meningitis vaccines and declared us good to go. Surprisingly, he doesn’t think we need malaria pills this time around. He said he’ll study our itinerary in more depth and let us know if he missed anything. As it is, he doesn’t think we hit any of the malaria hot spots this time!

Yesterday I printed a linen shirt that was ‘ruined’ by letting it sit a day after its iron/ copper dip instead of printing immediately. That accident has opened a whole new door. I’ve never had linen take those colours before!

C36705BF-8290-4F02-9032-261A147FCAD0.thumb.jpeg.60159517d8bcb583b9280021ac4121eb.jpeg

Happy Friday, and stay safe. I think staying safe30D331B0-A72B-4035-AFA5-2CF89C25E06C.thumb.jpeg.510f8636f2243748b01254185d4926e3.jpeg involves boarding a BHB and escaping the rest of the world.🤔

• Like 35

2 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Good morning, all! Somehow it is Dragon Boat Festival, and I have not made Zongzi yet!😱 That will get corrected today! The quote makes a very good point, although I never thought of it that way before. The Zongzi will be tonight’s dinner, although I like the sound of the meal. The drink and the wine are worth exploring.

This morning I made coffee and took it outside to enjoy in the garden before,the rain came. After the last two days of heat, the roses are putting on a show. The moment I stepped out the door, the rain came down in torrents, so the roses are being admired through the window instead.

Yesterday we went to the travel doctor to start prepping for the World Cruise. After studying our itinerary he gave us typhoid and meningitis vaccines and declared us good to go. Surprisingly, he doesn’t think we need malaria pills this time around. He said he’ll study our itinerary in more depth and let us know if he missed anything. As it is, he doesn’t think we hit any of the malaria hot spots this time!

Yesterday I printed a linen shirt that was ‘ruined’ by letting it sit a day after its iron/ copper dip instead of printing immediately. That accident has opened a whole new door. I’ve never had linen take those colours before!

C36705BF-8290-4F02-9032-261A147FCAD0.thumb.jpeg.60159517d8bcb583b9280021ac4121eb.jpeg

Happy Friday, and stay safe. I think staying safe30D331B0-A72B-4035-AFA5-2CF89C25E06C.thumb.jpeg.510f8636f2243748b01254185d4926e3.jpeg involves boarding a BHB and escaping the rest of the world.🤔

Oh, I don't think that shirt is ruined at all.  I love the colors!

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, Dailyites, and many thanks to all who post.  Cheers to those celebrating and prayers for those who are not!  We made it home safely yesterday afternoon, no problems with ArriveCAN, the border officer didn't even want to see our QR codes,  Just hope we don't suddenly start getting emails from the government to quarantine!   There is a lot of anti-ArriveCAN going around and I wouldn't be surprised if they just quit the whole thing!

I had a look through the Dailies I missed and have to say "Hope you have a speedy recovery!" to Debbie @dfish after surgery, and the same to those with Covid. Love all the doggie news!  

Miserable weather here, today.  Drizzly and dark.  I hear the forecast is that we won't have any summer until at least July.  Ohm well, I guess that's better than the "heat dome" we had last year.

• Like 26

3 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

I'm feeling mildly ill and took a covid home test this morning; negative. A colleague says that everyone is having allergy trouble. My state's protocol is to test three days after returning from travel and I'm speaking at a public event tomorrow night, so I will need to test again tomorrow. Until then I'm staying out of circulation, although I will have to go to my office for a few minutes, after closing time.

When we came home from the Zuiderdam with Covid, DH was feeling mildly ill and we both tested negative. The next day I felt off too, and we both tested positive. The body seems to react to the virus sooner than the home tests do.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 4

5 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Happy Friday, and stay safe. I think staying safeinvolves boarding a BHB and escaping the rest of the world.🤔

Laura that shirt is gorgeous. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, dfish said:

Oh, I don't think that shirt is ruined at all.  I love the colors!

Thank you, and I’m thrilled with it! From everything I’d learned, what I did should have ruined the shirt and made a blotched, streaky mess. There are light yellow streaks in places, but they go with the sweep of the leaves give a wind blown effect.

• Like 19