Anyone boarded with a certificate of recovery rather than testing? What is required?

Eli_6

My husband and I got off our Alaskan cruise and he started feeling bad. He tested positive on an at0home Covid test. I was negative on the at home test and didn't have any symptoms, but took a PCR test at CVS to be sure. Both of our PCR tests came back positive. (I guess I lucked out not having symptoms. We are both vaxed and boosted.)  We cruise next on the Pride on July 22nd in Europe.   

The Carnival website says:

"Document of Recovery

Guests who have recovered from COVID-19 within 3 months of their sailing date do not need the required pre-cruise test if they are at least 10 days past their positive test result date, have no symptoms and produce document of recovery from COVID-19. A Document of Recovery is accepted from both fully vaccinated and unvaccinated guests (with a Carnival-approved exemption) and consists of a paper or electronic copy of the positive viral test result from a certified laboratory (dated no more than 90 days prior to the sailing date)."

So, is all I need just our positive results from June 3 to cruise on July 22?  Our results are from a certified lab, etc.  It just seems strange that is all they required to avoid testing... to fly back to the US without testing we have to have the lab results AND a letter of recovery.  

Europe and British Isle requirements can change independently from the US and Carnival has no control over that. I would do an antigen test in a couple of weeks and if they are negative, plan on doing that instead of PCR for the cruise, if allowed.

In general, a document of recovery includes both a documented positive test and a letter from a doctor indicating you are cleared for travel.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, mkcurran said:

Document of recovery and letter of recovery are the same thing. Get the letter in 5 or 10 days. Then you get at least 90 days of less hoops to jump through.

This might be true, but our experience is with the additional reviews needed it would have been easier and quicker if we had produced a negative test. 

Eli6, keep those positive test documents.  Contact your Doc and ask for a letter of recovery.   We were able to secure ours via a telemedicine visit.  The content requirements for a the letter of recovery are short and pretty straightforward, but I suggest you look them up at the CDC site.  That way you can make sure your Doc covers all the points.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Europe and British Isle requirements can change independently from the US and Carnival has no control over that. I would do an antigen test in a couple of weeks and if they are negative, plan on doing that instead of PCR for the cruise, if allowed.

In general, a document of recovery includes both a documented positive test and a letter from a doctor indicating you are cleared for travel.

That is a good point.  Carnival and other cruise line requirements for a COR do not really even follow the CDC at this point.   In at least in one sense, I think they are more strict.    I had a COR that met the requirements for boarding a flight to the US.  It would not have met Carnival's requirements because my positive test document was under 10 days.  

• Like 1

i was going to, but then I found out you can't use the verifly app using a positive test...so we just decided to do the antigen test (it will be negative) so that we can upload it on the verifly app.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

This might be true, but our experience is with the additional reviews needed it would have been easier and quicker if we had produced a negative test. 

Eli6, keep those positive test documents.  Contact your Doc and ask for a letter of recovery.   We were able to secure ours via a telemedicine visit.  The content requirements for a the letter of recovery are short and pretty straightforward, but I suggest you look them up at the CDC site.  That way you can make sure your Doc covers all the points.   

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

That is a good point.  Carnival and other cruise line requirements for a COR do not really even follow the CDC at this point.   In at least in one sense, I think they are more strict.    I had a COR that met the requirements for boarding a flight to the US.  It would not have met Carnival's requirements because my positive test document was under 10 days.  

This is an interesting read about what happened to a person in Vancouver after testing positive on a Princess cruise.

The COR was 10 days after the initial positive test.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/cruise-covid-isolation-hotel/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We just went through this in the month of May.   Caught COVID at the end of our Vista cruise in Galveston.  We had planned to stay in Galveston for the week and then travel to NOLA for a b2b on the Glory.  However, after staying with some friends after our Vista trip, we were informed they had COVID.  We probably gave it to them.   So on Thursday, May 12, we tested for our first of two Glory cruises, but, alas, we tested positive.   We holed up in Galveston for another week.   Then, on May 19th, we tested again.   My wife tested positive.  Mine was negative, but the doctor said we were both recovered and not contagious anymore.   He wrote us a certificate of recovery.  We presented BOTH the certificate of recovery and the positive test results (from May 12) to Carnival when we boarded on May 22.  After a half hour in a separate room and Carnival going through all of our paperwork, we were allowed to board.   I should mention, however, IT IS A GOOD THING TO GET THE CERTIFICATE OF RECOVERY WHETHER CARNIVAL NEEDS IT OR NOT.  My wife needed medical attention in Cozumel, and we had to debark from the Glory (NOT COVID related)).   When we were done at the hospital, my wife was still testing positive.   IF WE DIDN'T HAVE OUR CERTIFICATE OF RECOVERY, WE WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN ALLOWED TO FLY BACK TO THE U.S.    Get the certificate.  It's easy and worth it.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

5 minutes ago, maryann2 said:

This is an interesting read about what happened to a person in Vancouver after testing positive on a Princess cruise.

Yikes!  Thanks for sharing.   We all know the possibility of this is what we are buying into. Still, it is tough when it happens.   I fully understand the person's frustration at trying to get specific info.  We had that same issue.    

9 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

The Carnival website says:

"Document of Recovery

Guests who have recovered from COVID-19 within 3 months of their sailing date do not need the required pre-cruise test if they are at least 10 days past their positive test result date, have no symptoms and produce document of recovery from COVID-19. A Document of Recovery is accepted from both fully vaccinated and unvaccinated guests (with a Carnival-approved exemption) and consists of a paper or electronic copy of the positive viral test result from a certified laboratory (dated no more than 90 days prior to the sailing date)."

So, is all I need just our positive results from June 3 to cruise on July 22?  Our results are from a certified lab, etc.  It just seems strange that is all they required to avoid testing... to fly back to the US without testing we have to have the lab results AND a letter of recovery.  

I'd like to know the answer to this question as well.  The Carnival website says nothing about a letter from a doctor, only the positive test result from a certified laboratory.  Does anybody have experience boarding a Carnival cruise with only the positive test results?

Edited by pkster
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, maryann2 said:

Very interesting first-hand report written by a professional with lots of information.  Thanks for posting.

17 hours ago, pkster said:

I'd like to know the answer to this question as well.  The Carnival website says nothing about a letter from a doctor, only the positive test result from a certified laboratory.  Does anybody have experience boarding a Carnival cruise with only the positive test results?

I've read at least one post that says they boarded with just the positive test result.  I can't remember which thread.  I can tell you that when we boarded a couple weeks ago, the Carnival Doc definitely reviewed the letter along with the positive test result.  If we had not had it, IDK.   

I am not worried about getting a certificate of recovery. My husband is a physician and has a nurse practitioner who works for him and his sister is also a family practice nurse practitioner.  

As an aside, we tested my children and just got their results back this morning.  They were NEGATIVE!  Despite being in direct contact with two positive parents (one who actually got sick) they are still negative.  So, we are going to have to test them both before the cruise and to get back in the United States. Sigh.  I was sort of hoping they would be positive so no one would have to test.  But I guess vaccinated kids who were vaccinated last November are better off than their vaccinated and boosted parents.  I even only got my booster in late April.  It still saves us money on the adult testing, though, and clearly we are much more likely to test positive from an exposure than they are!

• Like 2

I guess the one positive is that if my kids did test positive in Europe, at least my husband could go back to the US and work and I could just stay with them in the UK.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

I guess the one positive is that if my kids did test positive in Europe, at least my husband could go back to the US and work and I could just stay with them in the UK.  

I like the way you're thinking here..lol. 😁

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mike Dante said:

I will be doing this hopefully on Friday on the Ecstacy. Per John Healds post on his facebook, and the verbage on CCL website, I feel fairly confident it will be a go. 

the  thumbnail.png.7d2132292c78e583a7bb6049b28b6403.png 

Thanks Mike.  If you have a chance, please follow up with how things go on Friday.

7 hours ago, ldubs said:

I've read at least one post that says they boarded with just the positive test result.  I can't remember which thread.  I can tell you that when we boarded a couple weeks ago, the Carnival Doc definitely reviewed the letter along with the positive test result.  If we had not had it, IDK.   

What information was on the letter? I know they say we don't need one, but I'd rather play it safe and have one.

2 hours ago, cruises42 said:

What information was on the letter? I know they say we don't need one, but I'd rather play it safe and have one.

Our Doc stated the date of our first symptoms, date of positive test, and date we were deemed clear to travel.   Additionally, per the CDC, the document of recovery must include your name and date of birth.  The name should match your Passport or whatever travel document you are using.  It must be on the letterhead of the healthcare provider or public health facility and include the address and telephone number.   And it must be signed by the healthcare provider.    

• Like 1

How does document of recovery become a certificate of recovery? The Carnival website says "A Document of Recovery is accepted from both fully vaccinated and unvaccinated guests (with a Carnival-approved exemption) and consists of a paper or electronic copy of the positive viral test result from a certified laboratory (dated no more than 90 days prior to the sailing date). 

The answer I received from John Heald was “Just the positive test record that has been officially monitored or proctored. Obviously if you have any symptoms please do not come to the ship.”   So no time frame given, other than having no symptoms….  I screen shot that message. I am also going to do an antigen test thru eMed before my cruise and cross my fingers for a negative test. It will be a month past (June 29 we cruise, my positive test was May 26) so I think I will be ok. This is just a back up. Antigen isn’t supposed to be as picky as a NAAT test from what I’ve read. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kona_wahine said:

The answer I received from John Heald was “Just the positive test record that has been officially monitored or proctored. Obviously if you have any symptoms please do not come to the ship.”   So no time frame given, other than having no symptoms….  I screen shot that message. I am also going to do an antigen test thru eMed before my cruise and cross my fingers for a negative test. It will be a month past (June 29 we cruise, my positive test was May 26) so I think I will be ok. This is just a back up. Antigen isn’t supposed to be as picky as a NAAT test from what I’ve read. 

I tested negative on my at home antigen test. I only tested positive on the PCR test.  It may be I took the antigen too late. I don't really know because I never had any significant symptoms. Only reason I tested was because my husband got sick and tested.  

On 6/6/2022 at 3:21 PM, cruisingguy007 said:

I like the way you're thinking here..lol. 😁

Yeah, only being locked in a hotel room with an 8 and 9 year old might be worse than working...  Actually, if it was just my 9 year old it would be fine because he would just play on his phone all day long. My 8 year old would be bouncing off the walls and driving me crazy. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ldubs said:

Our Doc stated the date of our first symptoms, date of positive test, and date we were deemed clear to travel.   Additionally, per the CDC, the document of recovery must include your name and date of birth.  The name should match your Passport or whatever travel document you are using.  It must be on the letterhead of the healthcare provider or public health facility and include the address and telephone number.   And it must be signed by the healthcare provider.    

Thank you!

Guest BasicSailor
10 hours ago, kona_wahine said:

Good luck 🙂