Warning - extra time when flying in Europe

hallasm

Plan for extra time for flights in Europe.  Many canceled and delayed flights as well as very long queues at security checkpoints. 
There is a lack of staff on the ground and in the air, there is a lack of aircraft, and there is a lack of security staff, and it takes a long time to hire and train new employees.
On Sunday, over 80 flights were canceled in England.  On Wednesday, there were 28 planes at Schiphol Airport in Amsterdam. On Tuesday, people queued all the way out of the terminal building at Dublin Airport because the wait for the security check was so long.  The same thing happened in Schiphol on Monday. Copenhagen Airport is also experiencing long queues for security checks.

The aviation industry in Europe as a whole is plagued by a cascade of challenges.

• Thanks 2

Yep.  Just came back from Heathrow.  Both going and returning there were delays.  On the arrival flight last Tuesday we had to sit on the plane for an hour because they didn't have anyone to bring the jet way to the plane.

Will this be the new normal or will it get straighten out in the next 3-6 months?  I will  be looking  for flights to Europe for  June 2023  by the end of summer.   

Edited by Azulann

25 minutes ago, Azulann said:

Will this be the new normal or will it get straighten out in the next 3-6 months?  I will  be looking  for flights to Europe for  June 2023  by the end of summer.   

My crystal ball isn't feeling very well today. But my guess is that we are likely to see only moderate improvements during the remainder of northern summer 2022; although there are likely to be some increases in capacity, the summer demand peak is yet to come. Then we will enter the season of sickness, and who knows that that will do to the industry this year.

June 2023? It seems like next century, so far as predictions are concerned.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Azulann said:

Will this be the new normal or will it get straighten out in the next 3-6 months?

it is clearly a temporary problem - it takes time to prepare aircraft after a long time on the ground as well as get new security personnel certified.
Will probably be on the other side of the summer of 2022 before there are normal conditions.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, hallasm said:

it is clearly a temporary problem - it takes time to prepare aircraft after a long time on the ground as well as get new security personnel certified.
Will probably be on the other side of the summer of 2022 before there are normal conditions.

What are you hearing about CPH? We fly in there in July.

13 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

What are you hearing about CPH?

Severe problems right now - more than a 60 minute wait for security check..  The airport has hired more personnel, but new EU regulations place greater demands on background checks and certification.  CPH airport expects That the worst problems are over by the end of June.

• Thanks 1

Tis the season.... the increase in travelers this time of year is probably burdening the short-staffed travel industry, just like we're seeing on cruise ships.   I am hoping by the time we travel to Europe in October things will be on the downside of the crowding problem, but will certainly plan for otherwise.

I travel through Heathrow at least twice weekly, everything there has been a constant annoyance for months.  
I have found transiting to me a more pleasant experience. Security is quick, although have experienced a couple of very long delays - not in the past month however. 

Long waits when entering the UK in both T3 and T5.  Average seems to be 30-50 minutes when I have entered.  Did make it through in under five last week at T3.

secutiy is under staffed and long wait times. Fast Track often operating on reduced hours in T3.

aircraft parking seems to be constantly delayed as does finding staff to operate the airbridge.  Very much an issue in T3.

T5 lounges are very busy, T3 is better, although AA have closed their lounges. 
luggage delivery ranges from as expected and no delay to over an hour as the worst I have personally experienced. 
Had similar issue at T4 in Madrid with security times and luggage delivery times, although generally much better than London.

Lisbon was a 2.5-3 hr wait in late May to clear immigration.  

They have a major issue with TA flights arriving in the 10-11AM timeframe.  Apparently baggage issues as well.  We do carry on so cannot confirm…based on comments from fellow travellers.

Our understanding is that this has not been resolved despite lots of terrible PR.

Edited by iancal