Biodegradable sunscreen and UV protective clothing (rash guard) is only permitted...

chrismch

Started looking at excursions for my upcoming Caribbean cruise with stops in Bimini, Cozumel, and Belize. When I opened the details for ones that included interactions with dolphins or doing snorkeling it said only "biodegradable sunscreen and UV protective clothing (rash guard)" are permitted. I don't usually do ship excursions, but this time I have substantial cruise credits to use. I haven't run into this before. I usually wear t-shirts over a swimsuit and use whatever sunscreen I can buy on sale with sufficient UV protection. How long have these items been a requirement.

The sunscreen prices on Amazon start at $15 for a 3 oz tube, and the special rash guard swimsuits begin at $30. I've never seen this requirement before. Does the tour guide check our labels?

And if I want to take underwater pictures it says "Only freehand underwater cameras are permitted on this excursion (only cameras with harness chest, wrist or head strap, no disposable cameras are allowed). I'd love to take underwater shots but I don't want to buy a new camera and an underwater case.

Apparently you haven't done any of these types of excursions for several years. More and more places are mandating environmentally friendly measures. I see you're from Florida, so I guess this isn't something you would be aware of.  No one is going to insist that you wear a rash guard. Wear a t shirt if that's all you can afford. But buy that biodegradable sunscreen. If you can afford a snorkeling excursion, you can shell out a few bucks extra for sunscreen, and it's the responsible thing to do. And you can get it at your local pharmacy.

Edited by mom says
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, chrismch said:

The sunscreen prices on Amazon start at $15 for a 3 oz tube, and the special rash guard swimsuits begin at $30. I've never seen this requirement before. Does the tour guide check our labels?

In some venues, it's been that way for many years.  I recall the first time we visited Xcaret (across the bay from Cozumel), over 15 years ago, and they were checking sunscreen at the entrance.

• Like 2

An underwater case/bag for your phone is fairly inexpensive, probably cheaper than what you will pay for disposable camera + processing, and will probably take better pictures than a disposable. 

Amazon has Banana Boat reef safe SPF 30 spray that is <$10 for a 6oz can. 

We just came back from St Thomas USVI and there it is against the law to buy, sell or possess non biodegradable sun screens with huge fines for violations. They only allow mineral base sun screens with zinc oxides as the active ingredients in the Islands. I was skeptical about their effectiveness but I was surprised how effective they were, no serious sunburns after a week on the beach.

Rash guards are upf 50 and above material.  So it’s an alternative to the sunscreen.  They are simply saying don’t bring regular sunscreen.  And yes reef friendly sunscreen has been a thing in Hawaii for years.  I saw it in the Dominican Republic more than ten years ago.  Regular sunscreen damages the coral. If we kill off all the reefs there will be no more snorkeling to do.  

Amazon has lots of cheap rash guard options.  Try searching UPF clothing.  I have two from there.  My nicest one was $26.  Add it to your cart or watchlist.  They often fluctuate in price based on the day of the week so you might even see a price drop.  

Edited to clarify you don’t need a rash guard specific swimsuit.  Just get a long sleeve rash guard/upf jacket to wear over your suit in place of sunscreen.  I have a zippered hoodie version and a pullover version.  They go right over a regular swimsuit.  Sun coverage without the sunscreen!

Edited by chimchimtx
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, mom says said:

Apparently you haven't done any of these types of excursions for several years. More and more places are mandating environmentally friendly measures. I see you're from Florida, so I guess this isn't something you would be aware of.  No one is going to insist that you wear a rash guard. Wear a t shirt if that's all you can afford. But buy that biodegradable sunscreen. If you can afford a snorkeling excursion, you can shell out a few bucks extra for sunscreen, and it's the responsible thing to do. And you can get it at your local pharmacy.

Everything you say makes perfect 100% sense.  I have to say though the “I see your from Florida…” had me literally laughing out loud, people on the subway are looking at me like I’m crazy.  🤣

• Haha 1

Simply pointing out that government regulations will abide.  Don’t risk fines and being denied the excursion experience because there won’t be any refund and you will have lost the chance to experience the country you are visiting

• Like 1

I see you're from Florida,

Yes, I live in the state people like to flock to for their 1 and 2 week vacations. I get to enjoy the beauty and freedom here 365 days a year. With a short 15 minute drive I'll be putting my toes in the beautiful white sand beaches any day I want.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, chrismch said:

Yes, I live in the state people like to flock to for their 1 and 2 week vacations. I get to enjoy the beauty and freedom here 365 days a year. With a short 15 minute drive I'll be putting my toes in the beautiful white sand beaches any day I want.

They're also flocking here to live. 😉

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, chrismch said:

Chill @chrismch, what @mom says wrote was really funny. And really funny on multiple levels. 

BTW, we stay in Siesta Key very often and you are 100% right, the beaches are beautiful near you. Great places to Chill! 😉

• Like 5

I suspect those precious dolphins don't need "unfriendly" chemicals and contraptions invading their environment. Bad enough they have to take humans for a piggy-back ride, even tho they seem to enjoy showing off.  ❤️

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, roupa said:

I suspect those precious dolphins don't need "unfriendly" chemicals and contraptions invading their environment. Bad enough they have to take humans for a piggy-back ride, even tho they seem to enjoy showing off.  ❤️

Haven't seen a piggy-back ride, and can't recommend that, but when you're on a board and they give you a high speed push at your feet, it's a pretty crazy experience.

10 hours ago, chrismch said:

How long have these items been a requirement.

They've been in place for a while, especially for the dolphin encounter excursions. The trainer explained that the regular stuff was rather unhealthy for the dolphines and especially rough on their eyes.

We also were a little surprised when we first did one, but we bit the bullet for the biodegradeable stuff, and it was totally worth it.  I have no idea whether biodegradeable sunscreen is available on board, but I don't know that I'd risk it (especially right now with all the supply issues).  Get some, and be glad.

As mentioned, there's no issue with swimsuits and SPF clothing.  They simply are saying that it is allowed rather than required.

@mom says, how dare you insult us Floridians! we are extremely environmentally conscious. we don’t overbuild hotels and McMansions on our beaches, we keep them pure and pristine just as they were for hundered’s of years! we Never sell out-of-staters homes built on ‘land’ that was previously swamp! We never capture our local animals to put on shows….gators just love to wrestle and roll around with us! 

We Do stand on the beach in the middle of the winter and watch those crazy Canadians jumping into 65deg Gulf water! I can’t get into my pool unless it’s above 80!

Just you just watch out insulting us Floridians…..well, the 2 or 3 who were actually born here!

den

Edited by Denny01
  • Like 2
  • Haha 8

I love rash guards.  I have one short sleeve and one long sleeve.  Perfect for snorkeling.  So easy to miss a spot when putting on sunscreen.  Unfortunately, warmer ocean water and sunscreen are harming the coral reefs to death!!  Living in Hawaii for 15 plus years, I saw the decline of the fish and bleaching of the coral. 😞

16 hours ago, chrismch said:

Started looking at excursions for my upcoming Caribbean cruise with stops in Bimini, Cozumel, and Belize. When I opened the details for ones that included interactions with dolphins or doing snorkeling it said only "biodegradable sunscreen and UV protective clothing (rash guard)" are permitted. I don't usually do ship excursions, but this time I have substantial cruise credits to use. I haven't run into this before. I usually wear t-shirts over a swimsuit and use whatever sunscreen I can buy on sale with sufficient UV protection. How long have these items been a requirement.

And if I want to take underwater pictures it says "Only freehand underwater cameras are permitted on this excursion (only cameras with harness chest, wrist or head strap, no disposable cameras are allowed). I'd love to take underwater shots but I don't want to buy a new camera and an underwater case.

Look for sunscreen marked as "Reef Safe" and you will be OK with that and a shirt (whatever shirt you want to wear).

25 minutes ago, neverlaysup said:

Look for sunscreen marked as "Reef Safe" and you will be OK with that and a shirt (whatever shirt you want to wear).

Good advise, except the problem with any shirt,  cotton is terrible.  You end up looking like a wet tee shirt contestant.  The fabric gets heavy.  The rash guards are poly and dry fast.

We have used biosafe sunscreen for years and find it at many stores these days.  I also wear a UPF 50 long sleeve swim shirt all the time (my best friend hiking or playing golf here in the desert southwest as well as water) no need for a specific rash guard swim suit you can buy a swim shirt instead.