Biodegradable sunscreen and UV protective clothing (rash guard) is only permitted...

chrismch

Just a word of warning that "reef friendly" as some brands like Banana Boat advertise is not actually reef safe.  All the Banana Boat ones I saw on Amazon still contain one of the ingredients that is banned in places like the US Virgin Islands and Hawaii.  You need to find one where the active ingredient is a mineral like zinc oxide or titanium dioxide.  Or just cover up instead of using sunscreen.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, prmssk said:

Just a word of warning that "reef friendly" as some brands like Banana Boat advertise is not actually reef safe.  All the Banana Boat ones I saw on Amazon still contain one of the ingredients that is banned in places like the US Virgin Islands and Hawaii.  You need to find one where the active ingredient is a mineral like zinc oxide or titanium dioxide.  Or just cover up instead of using sunscreen.

Right you are.  I took the Goop SPFwhatever to task in the "Goop" thread here for exactly this reason.  Not really a big deal that they don't use oxybenzone when they DO use avobenzone in some of their products.

You have to read the content labels VERY carefully.  As with many things, there's no standard for "Reef Safe", and many companies are using ingredients that are proven not to be.

Highly recommend you do a small patch test with any new sunscreen AND expose it to the sun for a bit to test for allergies.  I had a rather unpleasant allergic reaction to an all natural zinc oxide based reef safe sunscreen.  Two weeks of red itchy bumpy skin, one of which was on a cruise, was no fun.

Found "Reef Safe" sunscreen at Detwiler's Farm Market today - 3 for $10 in a 6 oz. bottle. 

In regards to the UPF shirts,  anything that's not cotton, linen, or silk will cling to my husband's back like a wet t-shirt if it's over 65 degrees.

27 minutes ago, chrismch said:

anything that's not cotton, linen, or silk will cling to my husband's back like a wet t-shirt if it's over 65 degrees.

I always felt that way, too. But on a snorkeling excursion, a rash guard will dry in less than 5 minutes in the breeze on the boat. A cotton shirt will stay wet and sog everything he sits on.

I have also switched to synthetic golf shirts here in SC after a lifetime of cotton. They do dry out a lot faster.

3 hours ago, 81Zoomie said:

Highly recommend you do a small patch test with any new sunscreen AND expose it to the sun for a bit to test for allergies.  I had a rather unpleasant allergic reaction to an all natural zinc oxide based reef safe sunscreen.  Two weeks of red itchy bumpy skin, one of which was on a cruise, was no fun.

Unfortunately, I also have the same reaction to zinc oxide sunscreens. 😔

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, chrismch said:

Found "Reef Safe" sunscreen at Detwiler's Farm Market today - 3 for $10 in a 6 oz. bottle. 

In regards to the UPF shirts,  anything that's not cotton, linen, or silk will cling to my husband's back like a wet t-shirt if it's over 65 degrees.

you need to find a shirt made from technical fabrics that wick and pull sweat to the outside. there are a few good ones .

9 hours ago, mayleeman said:

I always felt that way, too. But on a snorkeling excursion, a rash guard will dry in less than 5 minutes in the breeze on the boat. A cotton shirt will stay wet and sog everything he sits on.

I have also switched to synthetic golf shirts here in SC after a lifetime of cotton. They do dry out a lot faster.

In the last few years I also switched to all synthetic golf and Polo type shirts away from a lifetime of cotton ones. I have also started buying synthetic golf and casual moisture wicking shorts. I find them to actually keep me cooler in the South Texas heat and humidity by wicking away moisture from the body. They also do not shrink, fade or wrinkle after washing. Some after years of wearing and washing still look like  new. I love the new rash guard shirts for swimming and snorkeling and wear long sleeve ones for more overall protection.  We spent last week in St Thomas using nothing but mineral based zinc oxide SPF 50 sunscreens and I can say I had no painful sunburns anywhere and at my age that is a good thing.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Dancing Shoes said:

I love rash guards.  I have one short sleeve and one long sleeve.  Perfect for snorkeling.  So easy to miss a spot when putting on sunscreen.  Unfortunately, warmer ocean water and sunscreen are harming the coral reefs to death!!  Living in Hawaii for 15 plus years, I saw the decline of the fish and bleaching of the coral. 😞

I have been buying them for years since I was always missing a spot that goy burned and you don't need as much sunscreen with rash guards. I buy mine from Lands End. The reef safe sunscreen is available on Amazon but I always get mine at Whole Foods.

Good advise, except the problem with any shirt,  cotton is terrible.  You end up looking like a wet tee shirt contestant.  The fabric gets heavy.  The rash guards are poly and dry fast.

Exactly. Swimming with a cotton t shirt makes little sense. 

Good advise, except the problem with any shirt,  cotton is terrible.  You end up looking like a wet tee shirt contestant.  The fabric gets heavy. 

Not to mention that wet cotton chafes something terrible (and is even worse once it dries back out after being in salt water).

14 hours ago, mayleeman said:

Same thing here.  Golf, fishing, or hiking shirts have replaced all the old cotton.  Also like @terrydtx, I've also retired all the cotton shorts for something synthetic.  Even my trousers are mostly synthetic, these days.  We've come a very long way in those areas.

Well, I still have a fair number of cotton Aloha shirts that I wear frequently, even in the Summer.  Those things have some sort of magic sewn into them that they just don't get hot.  Anything else cotton now feels like I'm wearing a fur coat.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

Same thing here.  Golf, fishing, or hiking shirts have replaced all the old cotton.  Also like @terrydtx, I've also retired all the cotton shorts for something synthetic.  Even my trousers are mostly synthetic, these days.  We've come a very long way in those areas.

Well, I still have a fair number of cotton Aloha shirts that I wear frequently, even in the Summer.  Those things have some sort of magic sewn into them that they just don't get hot.  Anything else cotton now feels like I'm wearing a fur coat.

One other advantage is for traveling they are lighter in weight, and most will not wrinkle in a suite case.

• Like 1

Just now, terrydtx said:

One other advantage is for traveling they are lighter in weight, and most will not wrinkle in a suite case.

And they don't stain, if even you spill a nearly full glass of red wine on them.  Try and just take my word on that, though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

I have been buying Prana for shorts and pants. Their Zion fabric does not wrinkle and  packs well Spill something on them and just wipe off.

• Like 1

However, don't buy bamboo fabrics. Based on the invasion by over 1000 20 ft tall bamboo plants in our back yard, I am certain bamboo is evil and must return to whatever circle of ---- from whence it came.

• Haha 2

On 6/9/2022 at 12:58 PM, mayleeman said:

However, don't buy bamboo fabrics. Based on the invasion by over 1000 20 ft tall bamboo plants in our back yard, I am certain bamboo is evil and must return to whatever circle of ---- from whence it came.

My girlfriend says planting it on your property is an act of eternal war. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/9/2022 at 11:58 AM, mayleeman said:

We have solid Bamboo flooring in most of our house, it is so hard and scratch resistant and completely sustainable. Now I would never plant it in our yard. People say it can grow a foot a day and take over in weeks.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2022 at 4:16 PM, terrydtx said:

We have solid Bamboo flooring in most of our house, it is so hard and scratch resistant and completely sustainable. Now I would never plant it in our yard. People say it can grow a foot a day and take over in weeks.

That bamboo flooring is not as impervious damage as you might think. Years ago, I represented a client who was buying a house with all bamboo floors. The offer was accepted prior to the seller moving out. The seller's movers left grooves in the floors from moving furniture and appliances. All had to be replaced as part of the sale. Bamboo has different finishes like paint and can't be "patched" with new panels as they don't match. 

4 minutes ago, chrismch said:

That bamboo flooring is not as impervious damage as you might think. Years ago, I represented a client who was buying a house with all bamboo floors. The offer was accepted prior to the seller moving out. The seller's movers left grooves in the floors from moving furniture and appliances. All had to be replaced as part of the sale. Bamboo has different finishes like paint and can't be "patched" with new panels as they don't match. 

Notice I said "scratch resistant" not scratch proof, compared to the solid oak hardwoods we had in our previous home, the bamboo is so much better. Sounds like the movers who moved out of your client's home were not professionals if they did that much damage to the flooring.

Honestly I'd go with the rash guard. When I was on an excursion in Cozumel in Feb 2020, we were going to an EcoPark and it clearly said on the excursion description "Biodegradable Sunscreen Only". I'd put mine on in my cabin before heading to the excursion, and put the bottle in my bag. Got to the meeting point, and the guides had us put ALL of our sunscreen in a basket and we only got it at the end of the excursion. They didn't care if it was biodegradable - ALL sunscreen had to go in the basket. And yes, they did a bag check after to make sure no one was hiding any.

I didn't get AS burned since I'd put it on in my cabin, but I could have used a reapply after the snorkel portion. So just be aware that they may take the sunscreen for the excursion duration anyway.

(And from what I understand, at any of the dolphin excursions you have to shower before getting in with them, so anything you'd put on would be washed off.)

55 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Maybe if the clothing industry would call these shirts something more descriptive that "rash guards" more would buy them. A sunburn is not a rash. "Sun guards" might be a better term.

Pretty sure it originated with surfers to prevent a rash on their body from the board or the sand if they wiped out.

• Thanks 1

On 6/22/2022 at 9:08 AM, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Pretty sure it originated with surfers to prevent a rash on their body from the board or the sand if they wiped out.

WrittenOnYourHeart, I believe you are correct. As noted by Wikipedia: they prevent chafing from sliding on and off of the waxed surface of a surfboard. A surfboard's wax holds sand from the beach that can rub against a surfer while paddling out to the break, or legs while sitting atop one's board.

I too discovered the advantages of wearing "technical" clothing outdoors and switch from cotton years ago.

Wearing rash guards or swim shirts are key to protecting yourself from the Sun. Even my DW switched to wearing these during our recent trip to Hawaii.

• Like 1