CDC set to drop testing negative to reenter USA today

7 hours ago, hal2008 said:

There is no denying that number of people catching covid NOW on cruise ships is significantly higher than it was during the last Fall even when ships had similar occupancy. (most were not full but some did sail with current levels in Europe)

I would like to see the data that supports this.   When we sailed in January, they had four decks they were using for quarantine, and numbers were routinely announced.

Fast forward to our May cruise, and only one deck was used for quarantine.  Sure, there were those on FB that said they tested positive, but even looking at percentages it was lower.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rudeney said:

Let's see how well that is working on cruise ships.  Every...single...person...who boards a cruise ship tests negative, yet we still have reports of "rampant COVID" onboard.  

"Rampant"?  Nope. Are there cases, yes.  Are there many more who don't catch it?  Yes.   Rampant is a relative term and all the reports are really without context.  No one on a cruise can accurately report they actually caught it onboard if they're going ashore in the ports being visited and had to travel to get to the cruise.  Once again, there is zero proof that testing pre-cruise makes any difference.  The only way to do that is with control groups which would mean ships sailing without pre-testing for comparison at a minimum.  

Edited by BND
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, glentally said:

Please Read: COVID-related Discussion
LauraS
By LauraS
06/21/2021

Effective immediately, COVID-related discussion should be limited to actual policy on board ships (and other forms of travel) and its practical application.  Discussion should NOT veer into opinion or debate.

Great news! One step closer to allowing unvaccinated people onboard.  The reason for my post is to ask why is this "Covid Related" post allowed and most others deleted?

This thread actually stopped being about the original topic about two pages ago, and once again an otherwise simple thread to inform about a simple decision has been dragged down a rat hole by people who only want to spout their own personal dogma regardless of its relationship to the purpose of the thread itself.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, orville99 said:

This thread actually stopped being about the original topic about two pages ago, and once again an otherwise simple thread to inform about a simple decision has been dragged down a rat hole by people who only want to spout their own personal dogma regardless of its relationship to the purpose of the thread itself.

Kind of like how conversations in real life go all the time.  You start with one topic and it leads you to another related one.  

Plus, what else is there to add to the topic?  The title really says it all for flying into the US.

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, rudeney said:

Let's see how well that is working on cruise ships.  Every...single...person...who boards a cruise ship tests negative, yet we still have reports of "rampant COVID" onboard.  

And just think how many more cases there would be if people got on board who tested positive 

4 minutes ago, MommaBear55 said:

And just think how many more cases there would be if people got on board who tested positive 

No one really knows.  My DH and I have been around people who have tested positive a day or two after we've seen them and we've never tested positive.   My DDIL who is an RN has been exposed several times at work but only caught it from my DS after he went on a business trip to LA a month or so ago.  

Edited by BND

35 minutes ago, BND said:

Plus, what else is there to add to the topic?  The title really says it all for flying into the US.

And yet a cadre of idiots always figure out how to add a plethora of tangents to drive the discussion where they want it to go so they can spout their own dogma. To quote an old star trek mantra  "Resistance is futile"🙄

Capture.JPG

Edited by orville99
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, MommaBear55 said:

My guess is that it would be the same.  Otherwise, there would be NO cases onboard.  AND keep in mind there are port-less TA cruises where pax and crew all tested negative prior to boarding, yet they had COVID onboard.  All it takes is one person to bring it on and it will spread.  To me, the logic of requiring tests is on par with the flawed logic of the lockdowns we had in 2020.  During that time, we were told to stay home to slow the spread...well...that is...unless we were "essential workers" or needed to go shop at Walmart, Home Depot, Costco, etc. along with all the other bored, "stay at home" out-of-work-people.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

"rampant" may be a stretch

2 hours ago, BND said:

"Rampant"?  Nope. Are there cases, yes.  Are there many more who don't catch it?  Yes.   Rampant is a relative term and all the reports are really without context.  

I was actually being sarcastic about the word "rampant" which is why I put it in quotes.  It seems every other day we have a new thread here by someone complaining that everyone on their cruise was sick with COVID.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TravisP said:

Hopefully, they will drop the vaccination requirements soon. 

I think you will see testing stop for vaccinated for a while and after some random period of time it will be dropped for unvaccinated.  I think crew will be allowed to go maskless before the unvaccinated are allowed on board though. Just my musings.

8 minutes ago, rudeney said:

I was actually being sarcastic about the word "rampant" which is why I put it in quotes.  It seems every other day we have a new thread here by someone complaining that everyone on their cruise was sick with COVID.  

I got it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, glentally said:

AND they all had the "cure all", "save the world" vaccines and boosters.  

The covid vaccines and boosters do not prevent you from getting it.  They just help with avoiding serious complications and hospitalizations, at least for most people.

26 minutes ago, UNCFanatik said:

It’s called seasonality that has been the virus trend all along during the past 2 years 

Guess then the west coast  warm weather tourist areas haven't got the memo yet then. Because they didn't make the list.

17 hours ago, J0Y0US said:

I have said since April 2020 that the only fool proof method for slowing down transmission is testing. 

DW and I came home with COVID from our last cruise and throughout our sickness, the 15min antigen tests continued to test negative.  Meanwhile, PCR tests were positive.  So while I don't disagree with testing, I do disagree with the notion that it's fool proof.  

BTW, several were infected on our sailing.  One had to be taken away by ambulance in Victoria.