How much different are Alaska cruises compared to hot region cruises

waytoodeep03

On 6/10/2022 at 9:46 PM, kona_wahine said:

We have eagles here, but I’m still in awe when I see them.

This is so true. When I first heard everyone talking about the bald eagles in Alaska, I was like “I have a pair nesting in the woods behind my yard.” But yet, I, too, was in awe. The numbers of them surrounded by the scenery was breathtaking. 

This is purely my personal opinion.  I assume that you mean Caribbean when you say "warm weather cruising".  To me Caribbean cruises are boring and a once and done experience.  I have been to AK in different incarnations 7 or 8 times and all of the cruises were great.  We are leaving on a new experience AK cruise on a ship that holds 200 passengers and hits a bunch of the smaller towns in AK in 2 weeks.

DON

• Like 1

Trying to add new thoughts to the discussion…Alaska cruises feel more laid back than a Caribbean cruise where there can sometimes be an almost desperate party atmosphere. In contrast, on the Alaska cruise, the feeling is more

of saving yourself to have energy for the more elaborate and sometimes  strenuous port excursions. Nightlife can be almost nonexistent as the ship may retire earlier to be up bright and early for action packed port days.

Additionally, many relax all around the ship to simply enjoy the scenery. Outside, those relaxing may have blankets and be more bundled up depending on weather and cold tolerance. 

Dress is definitely more casual though there will always be some that dress up. But by and large, the layers required

to be prepared for the possible weather spectrum means that bulkier and larger clothing takes more space and leaves less space for more clothing choices.

Unless you travel with an international cell plan, cell service is available in every port so it can be very easy to find your way around. The docks are generally RIGHT THERE and it’s not an instance of needing to travel far to get to city centers so it is entirely possible to have a very laid back port schedule and depending on time of year and ports to see a bunch of wildlife and beauty without having to do anything major, though most want to attempt a smaller boat excursion (whale watching, etc) to feel closer to the water and smaller in comparison to the mountains which are right to the shoreline with very little beach like flatter shorelines; or try to get into the air (helicopter, float plane) to get an aerial view, or a train (Skagway, or Seward if one way itinerary) to get more into the interior. But again, these aren’t necessary and if you react as many do to AK, you can space these expensive outings over subsequent cruises.

The food is different. If you are into local eating, you can have amazingly fresh salmon, halibut, crab, reindeer sausage, etc There are EXCELLENT local craft brews if you are in to that.

Generally speaking the weather is cooler and can be a very welcome change from typical summer temperatures in the lower 48. 

You may be more active if you enjoy hiking.

You may have a larger port excursion bag because you will likely want to take more layers, cameras, etc on your excursions.

Hot coffee drinks may be more enjoyable with cooler weather.

Getting back on the ship is less complicated because you don’t have to deal with any customs, show your ID and there isn’t any central area all ships’ passengers must pass through to get reboard.

Depending on where you travel from, the time difference is the opposite of what you deal with with Florida departures.

You will also have to decide between a RT itinerary vs a Northbound/Southbound which can introduce all kinds of extra ways to spend money and make airfare possibly much more expensive.

Just returned from our first Alaska cruise after almost 50 Caribbean cruises. Was the most active I've ever been on a cruise, from hiking and kayaking to biking. It was truly an amazing, gorgeous place to visit. While we're still going to go on Caribbean cruises for the relaxation aspect, it has definitely opened our eyes to what else is out there and now we're thinking Med. or a river cruise to mix things up a bit.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, sunkey1 said:

Just returned from our first Alaska cruise after almost 50 Caribbean cruises. Was the most active I've ever been on a cruise, from hiking and kayaking to biking. It was truly an amazing, gorgeous place to visit. While we're still going to go on Caribbean cruises for the relaxation aspect, it has definitely opened our eyes to what else is out there and now we're thinking Med. or a river cruise to mix things up a bit.

Hi, glad you stepped out of the box. There is so much to see and do all over the world😀. I love the Med. Been multiple times. And have been on a couple of river cruises too. Those are fantastic as well.:classic_smile:

• Like 2

On 6/11/2022 at 9:14 AM, skrufy said:

Yes, expensive but well worth it. 

I will say I don't agree with this. You can get great deals and experiences on a budget imo. 

Example we had 2 connecting balcony rooms on Royal for our family of 4 for $5200. Which about the same or less than lots of Caribbean cruises on newer ships. 

The excursions can add up but there is tons to do on a budget without breaking the bank most places especially if you are open to some hiking. Plus the scenery of just being there is amazing.

People really need to run the numbers from my point of view. I could be wildly incorrect though on this haha. 

18 hours ago, J0Y0US said:

I will say I don't agree with this. You can get great deals and experiences on a budget imo. 

Example we had 2 connecting balcony rooms on Royal for our family of 4 for $5200. Which about the same or less than lots of Caribbean cruises on newer ships. 

The excursions can add up but there is tons to do on a budget without breaking the bank most places especially if you are open to some hiking. Plus the scenery of just being there is amazing.

People really need to run the numbers from my point of view. I could be wildly incorrect though on this haha. 

Where did you find those deals? 😂. I am finding our upcoming first Alaska cruise VERY expensive. Cabin is almost twice as much as the same Caribbean cruise. Excursions are crazy expensive and don’t get me started on the flights. If this wasn’t for my son’s college graduation and 21st birthday (Which was actually 2 years ago, but moved twice due to Covid ) we wouldn’t be going. I didn’t do my research and let him pick and not backing out now. This will be a one and done for us. We have a 12 day Med cruise booked in a suite and that cruise will be much cheaper than this one! Hopefully it lives up to the hype!

On 6/16/2022 at 12:29 PM, Mountaineer0313 said:

I'm 40, my husband is 35. We took our first Alaskan cruise in 2018, and I doubt we'll ever take another hot weather cruise. Alaska is magical, there's really no other way to describe it.

I understand what you mean. I have gone to the Caribbean since Alaska but I will always choose Alaska over Caribbean or Mexico!

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

Don’t be scared off by the discussion of the weather. We’re on an Alaska cruise right now and the past few days have been sunny and clear - and the sun is intense and shining for something like 20 hours of the day, so it’s been feeling really warm. People were laying out in bikinis poolside yesterday. It’s totally unpredictable, so for every cool and rainy day someone experienced, someone else got bright and toasty days. 

On 6/16/2022 at 9:42 AM, donaldsc said:

This is purely my personal opinion.  I assume that you mean Caribbean when you say "warm weather cruising".  To me Caribbean cruises are boring and a once and done experience.  I have been to AK in different incarnations 7 or 8 times and all of the cruises were great.  We are leaving on a new experience AK cruise on a ship that holds 200 passengers and hits a bunch of the smaller towns in AK in 2 weeks.

DON

@donaldsc This sounds so exciting! I hope you will post about your adventure. We are going on our 5th Alaska cruise in September. It will include 3 new ports and a new glacier for us (12 nights).

To the OP- Have you considered other cruise lines? I have never heard of an Alaska cruise for $25.00 per day. Be careful Make your efforts count and I suggest booking a balcony. Many say it is too cold, but we use ours everyday. You may go outside and spot a pod of whales, enjoy sunsets, etc.

All ages go to Alaska, especially in June-August.

It is not typical, but we saw the Northern Lights on August 28, 2002.

• 2 weeks later...

My first cruise to AK, I didn't want to go - why would I "waste" a week of the nicest weather at home to spend it (potentially) with a toque and mitts?  Well, I was SO WRONG. I loved it - and going back this summer for the third time - this on a cruise tour.

Yes, the vibe is totally different ... if you want to go on pub crawls and stay up all night dancing, Alaska is likely not for you ... but the scenery is amazing, the food is second to none, and you'll have a chance to see wildlife you'll never see anywhere else.

As far as the age range goes, there is a good spread on these cruises ... and a great variety of activity levels for the excursions.  

100% recommend.

3 hours ago, kickboxrca said:

My first cruise to AK, I didn't want to go - why would I "waste" a week of the nicest weather at home to spend it (potentially) with a toque and mitts?  Well, I was SO WRONG. I loved it - and going back this summer for the third time - this on a cruise tour.

Yes, the vibe is totally different ... if you want to go on pub crawls and stay up all night dancing, Alaska is likely not for you ... but the scenery is amazing, the food is second to none, and you'll have a chance to see wildlife you'll never see anywhere else.

As far as the age range goes, there is a good spread on these cruises ... and a great variety of activity levels for the excursions.  

100% recommend.

It is kind of funny. I got a free cruise and chose Alaska as I thought I would "never pay to go there". Boy was I wrong! I have paid a ton of times to go back!

I don't find Alaska relaxing. You are right there is no late nights on the ship or bar crawls but in ports - I am gone all day long and not sitting on a beach chair. On glacier days - I am outside all day long enjoying the scenery.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Lois R said:

I never shop so shopping has no affect when I book a cruise and I have found various tours that are reasonably priced.

While I have bought a few things (mostly things made in Alaska) - I don't consider myself a shopper either and rarely bring home anything. My pictures are my souvenirs. 

I do find tours more expensive but I do book independently and not through the ship as much as possible.

• Like 2

In Alaska I am not a shopper, but in the Caribbean I have turned into one.  

A lot of these earlier posts seem to be comparing the prices of the cabins themselves with the other itineraries.  You have to look at the total cost, because who knows what mind tricks Marketing is playing with you if you don't.  Alaskan cruise cabins are cheap this year, but it's because flights are anything but.  And then rental cars and float plane trips are through the roof.  And helicopter trips, but those have always been nuts.  

I have come back from the Caribbean before regretting that i did NOT shop more.  

As others have noted Alaska is all about the scenery. Depending on your cruise line, you’ll have all ages…not just older folks.

We cruised Alaska on NCL and it skewed younger. 

Seeing the coastal mountains, glaciers, and wild life is incredible. You can also find any number of excursions for whatever activity level you prefer. Whale watching and other wild life excursions. Kayaking, hiking, zip lines. You can find it.

Weather can be mixed. Could be cloudy and cool, possible rain showers. Or you could have sun. In summer days are long and the sunsets are gorgeous. On our Alaska cruise in June, we had one cloudy cool day. The others were sunny and comfortable, 

for people who like to cruise, definitely recommend doing Alaska at least once.

3A4D4F6E-E4FB-4A6C-811B-46534000607A.jpeg

AF2CF451-D09B-4030-A2A7-A423358B8F8E.jpeg

D75DB807-4738-4286-A521-FEAAF471D9DC.jpeg

8BBF8554-5549-4DBD-81A2-AAA02640D79B.jpeg

Edited by Jason82
  • Like 1