How much different are Alaska cruises compared to hot region cruises

waytoodeep03

My wife and I have been on a ton of carnival cruises. We will make it to platinum on our next cruise. All of our cruises have been out of Florida or California to hot destinations. 

We recently came across these alaskan cruises that are like 25 bux per person which is just amazing. 

I want to go but am having a hard time convincing her to go to Alaska. 

How different is the alaskan cruise compared to the others? 

We are in our late 30s so she is also concerned about the cruise being full of 60 - 70 year olds. 

Go, it’s very scenic and the air is so fresh. The main difference I had was not laying out at the pool and wearing jeans with a t shirt and sweatshirt during the day. We had some rain.  The temp in august was 65 degrees. But it can get hot there. I would take a look at the forecast before you pack. 

Guest BasicSailor

How much different are Alaska cruises compared to hot region cruises.

One requires a coat the other, not so much 😁😉

Some key differences. Port fees and taxes are MUCH HIGHER for Alaska Cruises. Same can be said for excursion costs. My wife and I are doing 3 mid range excursions and the total for those came to $690. You could easily spend upwards of $1500 for excursions in 3 ports. Not a lot to do in some ports if you are not on an excursion. If you like hiking or just in town shopping then you could probably get by with fewer excursions, but the question would be - why. Best experience would be mid June to late July. Otherwise weather definitely becomes more of a factor. The main Alaskan ports of call are all in a rainforest - that should tell you about how much rain it gets. Stick to mid June to late July unless you are a duck.

• Like 3

The reality of Alaska cruises is that if done right - they can be pretty expensive. But it's an incredible adventure and generally worth every penny. Most people - even knowing this, return to Alaska multiple times (cruises or land tours). It's that amazing a place. Think seeing an American Bald Eagle in the wild would be a rare event. In Alaska - it's their version of sea gulls, pigeons, or black crows.

• Like 4

Oh, the mountains! One after another. I’m from Oregon so it’s not like I don’t see snow and mountains, but I was just in awe! The glaciers are amazing.  We have eagles here, but I’m still in awe when I see them. Heading back in a couple weeks and bound and determined to see a bear! It is different, and I had to talk hubby into it. We were so glad we did.  Splurge on excursions for sure. 

• Like 2

Depending on which cruise line you choose, it can be an older crowd.  We were young like you and your wife.  I used to cruise to the Caribbean for the sun, beaches, and snorkeling.  Alaska is about glaciers, mountains, wildlife, and hot drinks.

Choose a cruise that leaves from Vancouver, it usually has better itineraries.  If you can see Glacier Bay, that is a treat.  Not all lines go there.  

Alaska is more laid back.  Not a lot of party atmosphere.  Excursions can be expensive.  I am going to say that we have cruised Alaska once and going again soon.  We never get a balcony.  The ships that sail Alaska are smaller, than the other places.  We like to go and mingle on deck and walk around.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SDPadreFan said:

Some key differences. Port fees and taxes are MUCH HIGHER for Alaska Cruises. Same can be said for excursion costs. My wife and I are doing 3 mid range excursions and the total for those came to $690. You could easily spend upwards of $1500 for excursions in 3 ports. Not a lot to do in some ports if you are not on an excursion. If you like hiking or just in town shopping then you could probably get by with fewer excursions, but the question would be - why. Best experience would be mid June to late July. Otherwise weather definitely becomes more of a factor. The main Alaskan ports of call are all in a rainforest - that should tell you about how much rain it gets. Stick to mid June to late July unless you are a duck.

Yep I figured there was a catch. The cruise is $25 on carnival but the taxes and port fees are $511 dollars. Why?

Before you go much further search youtube for alaska cruises and watch some videos without the wife then show her the good ones. Search for most recent by individuals not the ad ones. "shiplife" had a pretty good series about a month ago on rccl. sightcrr. 

54 minutes ago, waytoodeep03 said:

Yep I figured there was a catch. The cruise is $25 on carnival but the taxes and port fees are $511 dollars. Why?

Two reasons come to mind. #1 - the ecological damage that many cruise ships can cause in the fairly small and protected inside passageway. By comparison, the Caribbean is a huge washing machine. #2 - the Alaskan cruising season is pretty short (May-Sept) so there is a short period of time to make money from the cruise lines.

There are two different views you can have. (just random pictures I found below)

Hopefully this gets the point across (although pictures dont do it justice). I find the Caribbean to be fairly similar and you likely have done it a bunch. You can do pretty much everything you do on a Caribbean ship in Alaska if you want (even things like laying out could be done in a indoor solarium).

View from a cruise ship balcony 2 - YouTube

Comprehensive Guide: What to Pack for Alaska Cruise from May to August +  Printable

Edited by J0Y0US
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, J0Y0US said:

There are two different views you can have. (just random pictures I found below)

Hopefully this gets the point across (although pictures dont do it justice). I find the Caribbean to be fairly similar and you likely have done it a bunch. You can do pretty much everything you do on a Caribbean ship in Alaska if you want (even things like laying out could be done in a indoor solarium).

View from a cruise ship balcony 2 - YouTube

Comprehensive Guide: What to Pack for Alaska Cruise from May to August +  Printable

These two are of my wife whale watching and Glacier Bay. Both were taken in late August (looks like middle of winter ). Heading back for our third two week journey next April. Alaska is an amazing place. Yes, expensive but well worth it. 

1 minute ago, skrufy said:

These two are of my wife whale watching and Glacier Bay. Both were taken in late August (looks like middle of winter ). Heading back for our third two week journey next April. Alaska is an amazing place. Yes, expensive but well worth it. 

I'm sorry, photos didn't upload, will try again.

11 hours ago, waytoodeep03 said:

Your port stops are in the US. All US ports charge more then most other countries. 
Definitely go. We sail the Caribbean almost monthly but are going to Alaska in 3 weeks. 

Hi,🙂 tell your bride all ages of people go to Alaska..........families with small children as well as yes, those of us who are in our 60's......just like other itineraries. Alaska cruises cater to all folks, whatever their age happens to be........20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, etc..........you get the picture. 

And packing will be different for sure, I always suggest layering.  

• Like 1

I went in July 2018 with my 27 year old daughter. Totally her trip and she planned it all. She is generally NOT a cruise lover. She grew up in Florida and went on many a Caribbean cruise, but just got plain tired of beaches. Alaska is a VERY different cruise and experience. She and I had an amazing time! The scenery just... never...gets...old! Oh, and we had an inside cabin. 

• Like 1

It may be cold and wet, or warm and dry.  Plan for either.  In June the sun sets and then begins to rise again giving you almost endless daylight.  You can hike, learn about the gold rush, learn about the native cultures of Alaska, learn about the environment and wildlife of the area.  Alaska is a Disneyland for adults, there is so much to see and do, and it can be inexpensive or you can pay for some unforgettable excursions.