Carnival Stock Below $10

Lee Cruiser

• 3 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, SpeedsterX said:

Haven't posted in awhile but I have over 1000 shares with an average of $13 per share and I'm not sweating it. 

Why so many shares? I always have a reason / plan on investing. Especially in an F rated stock. Like I need to maintain 100 sh to keep OBC / all the while shorting & selling options to recover from an initial bad price (54) / now to zero out my investment in something that won't make me a lot. So I'm always curious as to others reasoning behind a large # of shares when it barely moves in price / no dividend / no real earnings 

Edited by Ombud

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

Why so many shares? I always have a reason / plan on investing. Especially in an F rated stock. Like I need to maintain 100 sh to keep OBC / all the while shorting & selling options to recover from an initial bad price (54) / now to zero out my investment in something that won't make me a lot. So I'm always curious as to others reasoning behind a large # of shares when it barely moves in price / no dividend / no real earnings 

So many shares? He's only got $13,000 in it. It sounds like a lottery ticket bet CCL doesn't go bankrupt. If he is right he will make a big percentage gain. Sounds like a reasonable high risk/high reward bet.

2 minutes ago, icft said:

So many shares? He's only got $13,000 in it. It sounds like a lottery ticket bet CCL doesn't go bankrupt. If he is right he will make a big percentage gain. Sounds like a reasonable high risk/high reward bet.

Got it. Different philosophies. I don't bet, I just invest but I also hold enough shares to get the OBC

43 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Why, oh why, didn't I have the balz to pick up 5,000 shares at $6 !!!

(I know why, because of that voice in the back of my head telling me I might as well burn the cash!)

Tom

It isn't too late, I think it was prudent to wait for the election results. I'd feel much more confidant now that a major recession will be avoided or minimized and the economic recovery will happen at a much faster clip. Things are certainly looking up, covid deaths are down and cruising seems to be 100% back. They have the best chance and conditions moving forward. It doesn't mean things won't turn down again but the long term outlook looks pretty good now IMO as the stars have aligned. People have cut back on stuff but are still spending on experiences and cruising certainly falls into that category!     

• Like 4

2 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

I'd feel much more confidant now that a major recession will be avoided or minimized and the economic recovery will happen at a much faster clip.

Apparently your optimism isn't shared by most major economists.  I'm not that optimistic either.  Every interest rate hike increases the chances of a major recession.  I'm believing that stocks, especially Carnival, will continue to see big dips. I don't think it will stay above $10 very long.  I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not optimistic that I am.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Lee Cruiser said:

Apparently your optimism isn't shared by most major economists.  I'm not that optimistic either.  Every interest rate hike increases the chances of a major recession.  I'm believing that stocks, especially Carnival, will continue to see big dips. I don't think it will stay above $10 very long.  I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not optimistic that I am.

The interest rate hikes, while painful, are already working and driving down prices. Lots of things have been dropping from pork bellies and wholesale used car prices to sundries and houses. I'm seeing it already. Certainly there are some trying to prolong the pain and gouge as long as possible but the market will find a equilibrium through market forces and competition. Folks (like many "major economist") complain about inflation and then complain about interest rate hikes in the same breath. It takes time, it's not a light switch. Fundamentals work, even when some work/bet against the fundamentals. There are also the bitter doomsayers who are upset at the outcome and project their negativity. Get ready for the santa clause rally, the new years rally and then the spring and summer rally!

You heard it here first. 😉       

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

With UBS upping the target price of Carnival from $8 a share to $16, the stock has been on the rise.  I don't have that many shares and the main reason I bought some was simply to get the onboard credit.  I bought in when the stock was under $10 and my return so far is $100 this past September, and then $250 this January, and another $100 in June.

46 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

A good indication the whole market will be down.

Carnival refinanced its 2024 maturities with senior convertible notes due in 2027. Although Russia's bombing of Poland is probably going to weigh down cruise stocks too.

• Like 1