The Daily for Wednesday 06/15/2022

richwmn

Today is National Nature Photography Day, National Prune Day, and Smile Power Day

Be nice to nerds. You may end up working for them. We all could.--Charles J. Sykes, Dumbing Down Our Kids; Why American Children Feel Good About Themselves But Can't Read, Write or Add

Meal Suggestion for today - creamy pumpkin pasta
Drink of the Day - Legent Sea New Fashioned
wine of the Day - L'Ecole No. 41 2019 Semillon (Columbia Valley (WA)
Destination of the Day - Takamatsu, Japan

Eurodam

Sitka, Baranof Island, Alaska 08:00 - 16:00

Koningsdam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 07:00 - 16:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

Skagway, Alaska 07:00 - 21:00

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Visby, ES eta 5/16

Noordam

Juneau, Alaska 10:00 - 22:00

Oosterdam

Katakolon, Olympia, Greece 08:00 - 16:00

Rotterdam

Kristiansand, Norway 08:00 - 17:00

Westerdam

Hubbard Glacier, Alaska 14:00 - 18:00

Zaandam

Prince Edward Island, Charlottetown, Canada 08:00 - 18:00

Zuiderdam

Vancouver, BC Canada 07:00 - 16:00

Volendam

Rotterdam Waalhaven Ukraine Relief

0615World.thumb.png.9ffe27da2543a23cfcb3141d856f9240.png

• Like 30
  • Thanks 11

Good morning.  Happy Hump Day.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

We've got a severe thunderstorm watch, a heat warning and a special air quality statement.  I think I'll stay in.  I took Bertie for an early walk this morning (no skunks 🙂)  it's very windy.

Interesting days.  I'm not a great photographer, but I try.  I think I need a new camera.  Prunes are good with pork.  Smiles are very important.

Love the quote.

The meal sounds like something I will save for autumn.  Thanks in advance for the recipe.

I hope the drink and wine are tasty.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 30

Good afternoon.

It is currently 70°F and sunny.

We went to church this morning and left things for the church Fair on Saturday.

We then popped down to the beach for an hour.

Thank you for today's daily and fleet reports Rich.

Smile power is a big plus for making friends.

I never eat prunes.

It is nice to take and see photos of nature.

We should be nice to everyone but the rest of the quote is ?.

Today's food sounds nice but not sure of today's drink.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone who is unwell and an extra prayer for Sandi @StLouisCruisers

who is stuck in quarantine during her cruise.

Take care.

Graham 

IMG_20220615_102203.jpg

• Like 30
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

I do enjoy photos of nature. I've been reading about the benefits of prunes. Smiles are definitely powerful.

I like the quote. The meal sounds interesting, but carb heavy. Looking forward to Debbie's, @dfish, recipes. 

Sandi, @StLouisCruisers, I am so sorry you and DH have tested positive. I hope you get a nap and sleep much better tonight. Praying extra prayers for Buddy. 

Graham, @grapau27, how are you liking your new car?

It is 75 and sunny this morning.

Have a wonderful Wednesday! Remember to smile. 😃

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for the Hump Day Daily, Rich,  Love all 3 of the days as well as the quote.  I have not been to Takamatsu.  The meal sounds interesting.  My alternative is Chilled Sour Cherry Soup, Prime Rib of Beef Au Jus, and Strawberry Sundae as served on MS Prinsendam June 15, 2015.

Today’s care list:

RIP Heartgrove older sister 6/12/22
Casey across rainbow bridge
StLouisCruisers and DH in Covid jail
Melinda with stage 4 cancesr
Heartgrove brother back in hospital
Buddy with continuing problems
Lady Hudson cruise friend with covid
Smitty34877 effects of gas leak
From the rotation:
1Angelcat’s Jaguar with untreatable cancer
Strength, peace, and healing for kazu
StLouisSal with weakening legs
Cruzin Terri with continuing hand problems

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

All BHB hosting guests
Hearing from kazu and seasick sailor
First angel wings for ger_77
jayhawk66 in NC Mountains beating the heat
 day for Lady Hudson (Enchantment OTS 6/16-6/24)
Heartgrive visiting brother
Sharon in AZ in Venice to 6/19
Mister67 (Equino x to 6/18) Oceansaway16 (Allure OTS to 6/18), travelingbums (Jewel OTS to 6/20), VMAX (Oosterdam to 6/25),  StLouisCruisers, Red Haired Lady and kb4683(Island Princess  to 6/29) and  Norseh2o  (Insignia to 7/4) at sea
Vacationing Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 28
  • Thanks 13

Legent Sea New Fashioned Cocktail:

Ingredients
2 parts Legent® Bourbon
½ part Salted Honey Syrup
3 dashes Angostura® Bitters
3 dashes Orange Bitters
Garnish: Nori Strip
Salted Honey Syrup: 6 parts
Raw Honey
2 parts Water
½ tsp Salt

Instructions
Add all ingredients into an empty mixing glass and stir until salted honey syrup is dissolved. Once dissolved, add ice to the glass and stir until well chilled. Strain into a large rocks glass over fresh ice. Skewer a rolled piece of nori to garnish.

To make Salted Honey Syrup: Heat all ingredients gently on a stove top. Stir constantly until salt and honey have dissolved, do NOT boil. Allow to cool and store for future use in a sealed bottle. Be sure to shake well before use.

Screen Shot 2022-06-15 at 7.27.33 AM.png

• Like 26
  • Thanks 6

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! A mad scramble here this morning to beat the recycle truck & get the containers outside. I do not put out any containers that had food in them until the morning of collection. I wash them before they go into the bin, but we have lots of critters with superb senses of smell. The usual time to collect here is 3 p.m.!  I heard the trucks at 6:30 a.m.! Luckily I was just putting my shoes on to take Bindi out for her morning walk. 

Another lovely morning. And if I am lucky again, will soon have a breeze to help make the heat bearable. Last night’s moon rise made Bindi’s bedtime walk magical. One of the few times I wished I lived right on the coast. 

3ACDE05A-4C9F-43CE-84A4-18E32C8628BC.thumb.jpeg.69b292efddf81c2a7df64395061185ba.jpeg

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy! Morning Dailyites. Prayers for @Heartgroveand his family. Jack hoping your brother’s surgery is successful. @StLouisCruisers Sandi prayers for Buddy, your niece  and their families. The great thing about prayers, is that there is always enough to go around, so prayers are winging to you and your DH. I am so sorry he tested positive. May he stay symptom free. 

Off to the gym. Then more cleaning out. I have the large cupboard in my closet left - then the kitchen 😱. I still have some of my Mom’s baking stuff. How many pie plates does one need🤔?

6A84C52F-1AC0-4A04-8D9C-BAF0330F1AB7.jpeg.8e034f1adef453e891561fb68c09dfb9.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

L'Ecole No. 41 2019 Semillon

This sounds like a wine I need to taste. I mean Key lime! Excellent reviews & a very reasonable price. Several online distributors with prices starting at $13.99.

Winemaker Notes

Brimming with complexity, this sleek Semillon boasts pronounced aromatics and an intense and flavorful profile, carried by a mouthwatering vibrancy. The wine presents aromas of lanolin, orange blossom, honeysuckle, and melon, leading to a palate replete with lemongrass and Key lime, along with appealing green fig and hazelnut notes. The finish is refreshing and succulent.

Blend: 88% Semillon, 12% Sauvignon Blanc

WE92
Wine Enthusiast

L’Ecole has been carrying the banner for this variety in Washington for decades. This wine has everything there is to love about the variety, with textural richness and flavor intensity along with plenty of acidity to back it up. Best Buy.

JS92
James Suckling

Honeysuckle, apple pie, nutmeg, hazelnut and cedar on the nose. It’s full-bodied with bright acidity. Concentrated and rich with toasty, nutty layers. Drink or hold.

JD91
Jeb Dunnuck

Pretty pineapple and melon notes as well as honeyed floral nuances emerge from the 2019 Semillon, and it's medium to full-bodied, with a richly textured, ripe mouthfeel, good balance, and a great finish. It will unquestionably stand up to some solid Bordeaux Blanc out there and should keep for 7-8 years given its concentration and bright spice of acidity.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 36
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 3

Good morning, everyone.

It is going to be very hot here today, so I am glad I have the air on.  Not much is planned for today except a load of laundry.  The pool is going to feel good today.   Pepe Le Pew did not return last night as far as I know.  

Today's meal will be wonderful in October or November.  It is quite carb heavy so I would have to find a substitute for the pasta.  Zoodles are getting worn out.  It looks wonderful.  https://www.jaroflemons.com/creamy-pumpkin-pasta/

38491592_creamypumpkinpasta1.jpg.c0127b6b1ce7b5141b4cfd9604a337b6.jpg

The author of this recipe claims it is diet friendly and healthy.  Maybe.  One serving, which is much smaller than we think, is 458 calories, but it packs a whopping 68 g of carbohydrate.  That is my limit for two meals.  This would put me to sleep.   But, I bet it would be worth it.  https://www.wellplated.com/pumpkin-pasta-sauce/

1753538902_creamypumpkinpasta2.thumb.jpg.db493dadf040d4bb0cc9b038c06443e1.jpg

Now we're moving in the right direction.  This one is only 355 calories and 64 g of carbohydrate.

https://feelgoodfoodie.net/recipe/creamy-pumpkin-pasta/

194870206_creamypumpkinpasta3.thumb.jpg.5079b5192bcc9b64fe5fd57093b9cb9c.jpg

This pumpkin marinara might be the healthiest of the bunch.  I think the nutritional information is only for the sauce and doesn't include the noodles.  But, it makes it doable for me.   Only 16 g of carbohydrate for the sauce and if I put it over zoodles or a cauliflower steak I could have it.  https://cookieandkate.com/creamy-pumpkin-marinara-recipe/

1342561716_creamypumpkinpasta4.thumb.jpg.b37deb28c18cc00a4fc97354351c5c27.jpg

Prayers for all who need them, especially Ukraine, the victims of gun violence, and our Daily members struggling with challenges.  Special prayers for all who have contracted COVID.  May their symptoms be mild and their duration of illness short.   Cheers to those who are celebrating.  Wishing you all a great day!

• Like 32
  • Thanks 9

Good morning! It’s going to be another heat warning day. Hey, we live in Florida that’s the way it is. After my walk we are going into full prep for our daughter and two granddaughter’s who are arriving today. Little one is still a kleptomaniac so we are trying to child proof the house as much as possible. Mother and youngest will be here til this weekend but Miss Lana Jayne (6yo) going on sixteen will be with us for a week. Next Wednesday she and Nana will head for Jacksonville to pick up daughter and there off to the annual sisters, daughters reunion. By then I will be savoring a break!

I enjoy the scenic joys of cruising versus the cities and museums. I have a Nikon and smaller pro shot but frankly other then zoom and speed my I-Phone takes the best photos.

One thing I missed the most during Pandemic is you couldn’t see facial expressions or smiles because of masking.

Yesterday, we cashed in our life insurance policies so I’m working hard on staying alive. Felt our life savings were sufficient enough and besides saving $350.00 per month in premiums. Was really surprised how much cash value had built up over many years. Enough for one ticket on the World Cruise!🛳

Time for a walk and then preparing the Fort for the siege!

Thanks for the Fleet and Daily Post.

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 34

I got a call from the Guest Services manager Michael asking if we needed anything. Just the person I wanted to talk to! I said we really need instructions left in these rooms on what the red hazard bags are for, what the clear plastic bags are for, how to get towels and supplies, etc.  Michael said those are common questions. (Thus the reason I said an information page left in the room would help🤪). The red hazard bags are to leave the trash outside the door. The clear bags are for dirty towels. They set us up for daily fresh towels. I asked for two more pillows to make lying back on the headboard to read more comfortable. Also I explained some blankets to use instead of these very heavy duvets would be great. Also some extra paper products for the bathroom. Got everything said that I needed to. And the delivery was just made to our little table. They knock and walk away. 🏃🏽‍♂️

• Like 29
  • Thanks 11

Good morning  to all.The utility workers and the contractors  replacing our gas lines finished around  seven last night.They even put paving material  over the hole made in the walkway that goes around the house. And swept the street and sidewalk.

They helped yesterday  in  transferring  Tana and her equipment  back to our side of the house. She enjoyed being with her sister and DBIL but missed the dogs!

I have not been to the port and will pass on the recipe. I will salute nature photography  and  let prunes have their day.

@StLouisCruisers ,Sandi, so sorry about your quarantine  and the addition of DH to the covid list.I am sending prayers for Buddy and Jen also.I have been in an OV cabin many times but I could always leave.I hope the days go quickly and you feel better soon.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning Dailyites!

@StLouisCruisersSorry to hear that you are both positive, I hope they move you back to your balcony!

@cat shepardThat moonrise of the Strawberry Moon is beautiful.  And I loved your Meme. I forgot to go look at the moon last night, as the last time I was out it was cloudy, and when I got off I just wanted to unwind.

I must be a rare creature, as I love Prunes.  My grandmother used to make stewed prunes and apricots, which I liked as a kid.  But these days I know how much sugar is in dried fruits.  So a very special treat, is prune juice.

b0ab3038c79fe57219e1c20f8c20ee82.jpg

@dfish Thanks for the recipes.  I loved pumpkin soup when I was in Jamaica, so the flavors may work for me!  However, it looks like tuna sandwiches today unless I can talk DH into driving to Chick Fil A for me.

When I was growing up in suburbia, very close to the Great Swamp in NJ ,we had a neighbor three houses up, who had the biggest , loudest voice.  If he called my dad on the phone, you could open the back door and hear him.  No phone necessary.  But animals loved this man, and when a female skunk moved into his yard and had her kits, she would bring them to him.  He would sit under a tree, and play with the babies.  He allowed me to come up and sit with him.  To be so close to one is a bit scary, but it was if she was his pet.  And I felt no fear.  No skunks around here where I live now in GA.  But there are a lot up in the mountains north of us.

It's just after 8 a.m. and it's already up to 80 degrees in the shade.  The local news was talking about conserving energy, or there may be black outs.  Keeping the shades closed today.  Lights can stay off, anything to help keep this house (on a sunny hill) cooler.

funny-coffee-in-the-morning-pictures1.jp

cats-reaction-to-seeing-the-ceiling-fan-move-for-the-5925657.png

10.jpg

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 14

Good morning from central Texas.  It is already 78F and humid.  I need to get out early to mow before it gets too hot, but I need to let the humidity come down some.  Either way, it will be miserable out there, and tomorrow's forecast say it will be humid early also.  At least, today is cloudy  and windy, which will help.

Nature photography.and smile power are good days to celebrate, but someone else can have my prunes..

Today's quote is probably true.

We'll pass on the meal, drink and wine today.

We have not been to Takamatsu.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, I'm sorry your DH tested positive.  Hope hr doesn't show symptoms, and that you both are out of quarantine as soon as possible.  Sending positive thoughts that the doctors can help Buddy.  Good to see Jen is doing better.

@dfish  Debbie, I'm glad your black and white visitor did not return last night.

@aliaschief  Bruce, enjoy the visit with DD and DGDs.

@smitty34877  Terry, that is good news the gas pipe has been replaced.  It was nice of the workers to help move Tana back to your side of the house.

Time to bite the bullet and face the great outdoors.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Good afternoon from Venice!  Long day of walking today.  But we were able to cover a lot of ground. Frari, San Rocco, fish and fresh produce market, two campo’s we frequented 17 years ago, our old apartment, searching for a restaurant we liked (it must be closed). 

We saw the moon last night too. It was beautiful, especially from a vaporetto stop. 

D9CF3ED0-546E-492C-82AD-AC6BDD281AAF.thumb.jpeg.c45c79faaedced2ec173627ea2d90a7a.jpeg

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 39
  • Thanks 3

Sandi, sure hoping hubby doesn't start getting sick. Does today start as his zero day? Prayers for you both,  Buddy and Jen. I'm so bummed for you guys getting Covid.. Our neighborhood went through a rash of Covid from a dance we went to. Their whole table got it.

Sharon looks like the weather is beautiful in Venice.

Prayers to all on Roy's care list. Cheers to all celebrations today. 

I don't mind prunes, but not stewed prunes or juice.

image.png.1a25ae117389119a94baa45291e31910.png

Wishing everyone a blessed day!

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Good morning everyone. I bought a great camera 26 years ago to take pictures of my first grandson. Now, of course, I use my phone. I also took some great photos of nature. Two years ago I won a prize at a local juried art show for one of my nature pictures taken with the first camera. 
Today we’re going to the local library to hear songs by Rodgers and Hammerstein and tonight out to dinner to celebrate our friend’s birthday. I will try to post my winning picture but sometimes that technology escapes me.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 29

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I am sometimes quite in awe of the nature photos shown in magazines.  My mom used to eat 2 prunes a day - she said it kept her healthy.  Smiles can be powerful, but even with masks on, you could tell if someone was smiling by the crinkles around their eyes.

@StLouisCruisersI'm really sorry DH tested positive - now you're going to have to fight over who gets to look out the window and through the tender to see where you are.  LOL  Hopefully he doesn't get too sick, and also that your cough doesn't last long.

@smitty34877I'm glad the work outside your home has finished and that the city workers took care of clean up as well.  And bringing Tana back into your side of the house was just icing on the cake.

Well I don't know how this happened, but our DS turns 40 today.  I'm pretty sure I'm not old enough to have a child that old, but according to the calendar, it's true.  I know he's already treated himself to a new drone for photography, and his loving wife bought him backstage passes for next month to see one of his favourite entertainers - Weird Al Yankovic.  LOL  We'll video chat with him this evening and look forward to the visit.

I'm going to take a pass on the drink of the day, but even though I'm a red wine girl, I'd like to try the wine - it sounds nice.  I'm pretty sure DH wouldn't appreciate today's menu suggestion, as he doesn't care for anything pumpkin except pie, and only when it's submerged in whipped cream.  I've got salmon steaks thawing that will be done on a cedar plank on the barbecue tonight.  Salmon, corn on the cob and salad will be what's happening on our dinner table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.   Extra for the people of Ukraine and all countries who are giving them aid. Clinking the glasses together to celebrate all on the happy list.  Stay safe, wear masks when needed, get your boosters and be well.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 34
  • Thanks 2