Why no E-Class ships in Alaska?

MBP1

32 minutes ago, MBP1 said:

Is it not popular enough or are there restrictions?

Probably because there are so few of them, they just haven't expanded into that market yet.  Remember, Apex's first cruise was a year ago this week.

Just now, BettyCruiser said:

Maybe after Edge is moved to Australia. There is usually a ship that will winter in Australia and summer in Alaska.

For 2024 the Solstice will move from Asia to Sydney for 1 day and then head to Alaska.  Edge has nothing listed when her 4/5/24 sailing  ends in Sydney.  We booked it hoping she would go from Sydney back to the US either to Alaska or thru the Panama Canal to the Caribbean.

2 hours ago, jelayne said:

For 2024 the Solstice will move from Asia to Sydney for 1 day and then head to Alaska.  Edge has nothing listed when her 4/5/24 sailing  ends in Sydney.  We booked it hoping she would go from Sydney back to the US either to Alaska or thru the Panama Canal to the Caribbean.

I heard an Australian ‘rumour’ that Edge was going back to Europe.

DH heard an Australian ‘rumour’ that Edge was staying here. Couple of reasons, Edge is not posh enough for the European’s anymore??? and that Celebrity themselves have said that they want to bring a newer ship to Sydney and to capture our winter market. 

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

Smaller than quantum class.

I think Edge will go to Alaska and back to Sydney, it’s a big cash cow for RCG . 

So you think the Solstice, Eclipse and Edge will all be in Alaska?  

While  based on opinion (not facts) I would believe like Airlines they keep their newest and best ships on their most profitable links with the likelihood of maximize bookings and profitability.     

3 hours ago, jelayne said:

So you think the Solstice, Eclipse and Edge will all be in Alaska?  

RCG is supposed to have the private island Lelepa up and running in 2024 .

The money invested they would probably want a couple of year round ships in Australia. Maybe  a older celebrity ship plus enchantment.
My thoughts would be Edge and Quantum moving back and forth,Sydney and Alaska.That run was one of RCG’’s best revenues .

Celebrity Solstice

Length: 1,033′
Beam: 121'
Capacity: 2852

Tonnage: 121,878 GT

Celebrity Edge

Length: 1,004′
Beam 128'
Capacity: 2,918
Tonnage: 130,818 GT

Edge and Solstice are very close in size and capacity.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jwlane said:

Seasonally, that's just not possible---same reason ships don't sail all year in Europe.

Carnival or P&O have had ships in Sydney year round for over 10 years plus Brisbane has now got a new cruise terminal which carnival is supposed to have a year round ship.

RCG said a few months ago that they plan to deploy year round.

Our winter is very mild to the US and it could become a destination to get away from your summer heat.

8 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

could become a destination to get away from your summer heat.

Considering the main ports for Celebrity cruises sailing from Sydney were in New Zealand (even cooler, cloudier and wetter), I don't buy it.

4 minutes ago, jwlane said:

Considering the main ports for Celebrity cruises sailing from Sydney were in New Zealand (even cooler, cloudier and wetter), I don't buy it.

Our winter destinations are usually the Queensland coast, noumea, Vanuatu (which will has the private RCG island Lelepa ) and PNG .

Forget New Zealand in winter,I had snow one Christmas which is the hight of summer here.