Cruising during Hurricane Season?

Hi all.  My family and I usually cruise in the springtime.  I'm turning 50 this year in October and I want to go on a vacation and cruising is my favorite way to travel.  But, I've never cruised in the Caribbean during Hurricane season.  Any advice from the cruisers that travel during this time of year?  Pro, Cons, anything else I should think of that would be different than cruising in the spring.  Thanks!

Cross your fingers and hope you don't get unlucky enough to run into one?

I cruise almost exclusively during June/July and don't know what would be different in terms of planning or expectations due to potential hurricanes.

1 minute ago, huntr104 said:

Hi all.  My family and I usually cruise in the springtime.  I'm turning 50 this year in October and I want to go on a vacation and cruising is my favorite way to travel.  But, I've never cruised in the Caribbean during Hurricane season.  Any advice from the cruisers that travel during this time of year?  Pro, Cons, anything else I should think of that would be different than cruising in the spring.  Thanks!

We have cruised in every month of the year, and have had a regular routine of always booking at least one week in May, July, and October. We usually salt in an occasional cruise in August and September. By October, the season is winding down and if there is a tropical storm somewhere, the cruise ship will be somewhere else, guaranteed. If you are flexible and can abide a change in scheduled port stops, it is a great time of year to cruise.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hoosier sailor said:

I have cruised quite a few times during Hurricanes season. The thing to remember is that ports may be missed due to the weather, and you could have extra sea days.  Ports can also be substituted. 

Hurricane Dorian…we were booked on a 7 night eastern that turned into a western, that ended up being an 11 night sailing around in circles off the coast of Cuba and stop at Cozumel every morning adventure. Best cruise we have ever taken.

• Like 3

My only advice is don't get your heart set on the itinerary you choose. You may get all your original ports or they could get changed, because the ship will always be directed away from the storm. There was a person who planned on getting married on a specific island and ended up very disappointed. Rarely are there huge issues like occurred during Hurricane Sandy and that was fairly late in the season

9 minutes ago, huntr104 said:

Hurricane season is half the year.  By %s, it is rare that it will impact your cruise.  But bad timing can happen.  You just have to accept that disruption can happen, but likely won’t.  I’ve cruise many many times in hurricane season.  Definitely been rerouted or had rougher seas once or twice, but nothing scary or too disruptive.  

• Like 1

Affected 4 times in almost 20 years for August-October sailings.  Ship just goes elsewhere.  On one occasion Ft Lauderdale was closed so we stayed out extra 3 days (and eastern cruise was changed to western).  Drinks/internet extended for free.  Next cruise was shortened from 7 to 4 days and if you sailed you got 50% back as OBC and 50% back as future cruise credit.  We were on it anyway but lots of Florida folks stayed on for $400/balcony.  Their houses were ok but they didn't have power at home. 

Nice having 1400 passengers on Allure.  MTD dining waiters had every other night off and crew allowed in shows.

• Like 1

I actually prefer to cruise in October as the prices tend to be lower (in my experience).  We only had one "close" call when we skirted Hurricane Michael in 2018.  The Allure was a little rough for one night as we sped right on its edges as it was building in the Gulf.  In 10+ October cruises we have never missed a port (of course I probably just cursed it for this year) or anything.  As others have said, your cruise could be affected, so be mindful that ports could change, but your on vacation so no worries....

We have cruised in every month of hurricane season. Several times we’ve missed a port but fortunately not an embarkation.  We do avoid the last 2 weeks of August to first 2 weeks of September.  We don’t get upset at missed ports but I know some do.  I look at it that the captain is keeping the ship safe and me too.  

We do park in the garage at higher levels during hurricane season and not surface lots.  If you’re flying leave 2 days early.  

We've cruised in Oct and Nov many times (hurricane season ends 30 Nov) and have never encountered a hurricane.  BTW, hurricane season is 6 full months of the year (1 Jun-30 Nov) but it occasionally impacts cruises.  Itineraries can be impacted, but you can't worry about it.

Edited by BND

1 minute ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Look at itineraries that include the ABC islands which in addition to being beautiful destinations lie outside the hurricane belt.

While those islands are, the route to get there isn't.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Look at itineraries that include the ABC islands which in addition to being beautiful destinations lie outside the hurricane belt.

I've got an Allure 8 nights sailing to the AB Islands on September 3, 2022 and not really concerned.

Only once have we been impacted and it was back in early September 2019.  It was a 9 nighter Anthem cruise to NE/Canada.  Halifax was our final stop and we left early as hurricane (?) was heading directly to Halifax.  Wound up arriving at Bayonne the night prior to disembarking.  We slept docked at the pier.  But, prior to that the Anthem sailed up the Hudson River all the way up to the 70s streets and saw a fantastic views of Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island and the NYC and NJ skylines all lit up.

Thank you everyone for your replies.  It definitely makes me feel better about sailing in October.  I wouldn't mind missing islands or itinerary changes.  It's more about the ship for me personally, although I really would like to get back on a Southern Caribbean itinerary.  We were booked for an 8 night Southern cruise on Odyssey in April of '21 but Covid happened. 

24 minutes ago, BND said:

We've cruised in Oct and Nov many times (hurricane season ends 30 Nov) and have never encountered a hurricane.  BTW, hurricane season is 6 full months of the year (1 Jun-30 Nov) but it occasionally impacts cruises.  Itineraries can be impacted, but you can't worry about it.

Agree, Cruise Oct almost every yr since 2010 not really many issues except Waves and shorter days. 1990's-2002 would Cruise around Labor Day, many times had Port Changes as we did longer East/West/South Combo Cruises. Ended up few times Changing, Missing Ports or going in reverse order stops. One yr had 4 named Storms/Hurricanes that Cruise. Was a wild Cruise, smaller Ship bouncing all over place as we steered around some of worse. Even Ship Entertainment and some Crew was Sea Sick that week, Dozens with Sprains and Broke Bones, but we had a Blast and was one our most memorable

Edited by ONECRUISER

1 hour ago, LeeW said:

On one occasion Ft Lauderdale was closed so we stayed out extra 3 days (and eastern cruise was changed to western).  Drinks/internet extended for free.  Next cruise was shortened from 7 to 4 days and if you sailed you got 50% back as OBC and 50% back as future cruise credit

On Harmony when Dorian hit. We originally had just a 7 night cruise booked, but when we found out we were not going to get back until the following Wednesday (actually ended up being on thursday), we went down to the next cruise desk and were able to book the following week in the same cabin for $100/pp.

We got points for all 11 nights on the first cruise and points for all 7 nights on the second cruise even though it was only 3 days long.

Now we joke about always booking at the height of hurricane season to see if we can get that kind of deal again.😇

Edited by orville99

In some reason all our cruises in the beginning of September featured the best weather... In Caribbeans, to Bermuda ... Literally , not even occasional rain. 🙂

Of course you cannot bet on it, but then we had horrendous weather in May several times, in June too.

The biggest financial risk happens if the hurricane prevents you from getting to the ship. If the ship does not sail you'll get a refund, but if it sails without you there is no refund. Travel insurance should cover the loss if you can't get to the port due to flights being canceled. You have to buy the insurance before the storm is named.

The real advantage about cruising during hurricane season (which is about half of the year) is that if there is a hurricane during your cruise the ship can (and will) get out of the way.  Unlike vacationing on a Caribbean island you are quite safe on a ship.  Yes, you may get a different itinerary than you were expecting, but it will still be a good cruise.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, orville99 said:

On Harmony when Dorian hit. We originally had just a 7 night cruise booked, but when we found out we were not going to get back until the following Wednesday (actually ended up being on thursday), we went down to the next cruise desk and were able to book the following week in the same cabin for $100/pp.

We got points for all 11 nights on the first cruise and points for all 7 nights on the second cruise even though it was only 3 days long.

Now we joke about always booking at the height of hurricane season to see if we can get that kind of deal again.😇

If this ever happens to us I’ll be heading to guest services.  We’ve never been this “lucky”.  If we fly to Florida we’d have to rebook flights anyway.  

We drive to Galveston and I do worry about our car a bit during storms there.  The DD once got trapped for a day in Galveston ( over Labor Day) until water receded.  That’s why I pay a bit extra to park in the garage or in elevated parking there.  Her car did not flood but she could get out of the parking garage.