Pre cruise testing

lovelyjubbly

2 hours ago, lizee1979 said:

My TA in the Uk said the Randox ones you do yourself would be fine. However, I’m reading administered ones must be done? Anyone help with this? 

You wouldn't have the test results email to show if it wasn't monitored

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, laurieb said:

You wouldn't have the test results email to show if it wasn't monitored

You would in the UK, thats the problem - you can do the test unsupervised and upload a photo of the result,  Many are like that now that the testing sites at the airports and closed or on reduced hours.  This is what is causing the confusion

6 hours ago, lizee1979 said:

My TA in the Uk said the Randox ones you do yourself would be fine. However, I’m reading administered ones must be done? Anyone help with this? 

Randox worked fine for us on our embarkation in Rome on 8th May.

We received the tests by post, performed the tests, scanned the test and uploaded to Randox before departure to Civitavechia. 

Within a few hours, 2maybe 3hours, we received our certificate by email which was accepted by the embarkation team in Rome

We also used Randox earlier in the year for a PCR test that wasn't`t required as the rules changed when we were on our trip. Using the dropbox facility was very efficient with a result returned within14 hours.

Overall, I have complete confidence in Randox

I would also recommend testing prior to doing the Randox test, just for peace of mind.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, uktog said:

You would in the UK, thats the problem - you can do the test unsupervised and upload a photo of the result,  Many are like that now that the testing sites at the airports and closed or on reduced hours.  This is what is causing the confusion

I didn’t realize.  Yes that would be a problem.  

PCR question.  If I am tested on Thursday and sail on Sunday, is that 3 days before embarkation? (Thurs., Fri., Sat.) Or would the test need to be on Friday? (Fri., Sat., Sun.)

Could do an antigen test on Saturday but for personal reasons would rather be done with it on Thursday, if possible.  Thanks for any insight.

Marilyn

3 hours ago, mjmagee said:

PCR question.  If I am tested on Thursday and sail on Sunday, is that 3 days before embarkation? (Thurs., Fri., Sat.) Or would the test need to be on Friday? (Fri., Sat., Sun.)

Could do an antigen test on Saturday but for personal reasons would rather be done with it on Thursday, if possible.  Thanks for any insight.

Marilyn

Should be OK testing on Thursdsy..

• Like 2

9 hours ago, mjmagee said:

Marilyn

Last month, we had a PCR on Wednesday. We flew on Thursday, arrived Europe on Friday, boarded ship on Sat. No problem. You should be good to go.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2022 at 9:49 PM, govanguy said:

Randox worked fine for us on our embarkation in Rome on 8th May.

We received the tests by post, performed the tests, scanned the test and uploaded to Randox before departure to Civitavechia. 

Within a few hours, 2maybe 3hours, we received our certificate by email which was accepted by the embarkation team in Rome

We also used Randox earlier in the year for a PCR test that wasn't`t required as the rules changed when we were on our trip. Using the dropbox facility was very efficient with a result returned within14 hours.

Overall, I have complete confidence in Randox

I would also recommend testing prior to doing the Randox test, just for peace of mind.

Thanks for posting.  Has anyone else done the Randox test?  We have used them for other holidays over the past 18 months and the service has always been great.  I'm just still concerned this won't be seen as supervised but......!!!

I’ve just seen a posting on Facebook (Azamara A-Z) someone was told by their travel agent that there was an announcement due from Azamara on the 1st August regarding testing. This is also the date a number of other cruise lines are dropping the testing requirement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Riocca said:

I’ve just seen a posting on Facebook (Azamara A-Z) someone was told by their travel agent that there was an announcement due from Azamara on the 1st August regarding testing. This is also the date a number of other cruise lines are dropping the testing requirement.

From your lips to God’s ears! Fingers crossed this is going to happen. I received an email yesterday from Azamara advising me to “register now” for pre-cruise testing, for our August cruise, which seemed like odd phrasing. I thought maybe it was an invitation to register for their tests at the pier, which I would happily do, but all the links just took me to pretty general information about Covid precautions.

1 hour ago, Riocca said:

It would be lovely if the late July cruises could act as pilots. Would get over so much hassle next weekend 😀

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, uktog said:

It would be lovely if the late July cruises could act as pilots. Would get over so much hassle next weekend 😀

Then think of me as your guinea pig as we have a late July cruise 😉 .  This is causing quite some angst as there are 8 of us travelling I can tell you!!  If we can go with the Randox test, all good so let's see if anyone else comes back on my question above.  Where's the fingers cross icon!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Riocca said:

In my opinion, pre cruise testing should remain in place for as long as cruise lines insist on isolating anyone onboard who catches Covid, possibly not even in their own room but in a smaller cabin without outside access. It is obviously not guaranteed to prevent onboard infections but in my opinion, it is better than any of the alternatives. I'm not personally bothered about the health risk having already had it recently (appreciate others are more concerned on that score) but I am bothered about solitary confinement and would accept a bit of pre cruise hassle and cost to reduce that risk.

• Like 4

What is bothering me is they specify PCR and PCR is a specific type of NAAT, but not offered in the time frame we need the results where I live, only NAAT is offered.  So the question is, will they accept the NAAT?  This is such a huge hassle and expense.  Otherwise have to deal with getting Antigen test done in Barcelona and the language issues.  The funny thing is, I have had Covid and I tested negative until I was obviously sick with fever and sore throat.  So, I feel this is somewhat theater.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, federalexpress said:

In my opinion, pre cruise testing should remain in place for as long as cruise lines insist on isolating anyone onboard who catches Covid, possibly not even in their own room but in a smaller cabin without outside access. It is obviously not guaranteed to prevent onboard infections but in my opinion, it is better than any of the alternatives. I'm not personally bothered about the health risk having already had it recently (appreciate others are more concerned on that score) but I am bothered about solitary confinement and would accept a bit of pre cruise hassle and cost to reduce that risk.

I’m ok with testing, and would be happy to have routine testing at the dock for all, “free” again if possible, although I’m sure they would build that charge into the new fares if they went back to not charging. What I hate is the stress of counting backwards on my fingers to figure out where/when/which kind of test, how to arrange it and whether it covers all the requirements.

• Like 2

Went into hospital for a hip injection in February and had to do a PCR test and isolate for 3 days before hand, going for another in August all that’s required now is a self administered lateral flow test reported to the NHS before attending hospital. I could see this might be a way forward, does rely on a degree of honesty but one would hope that most passengers would adhere to the rules.

As regards quarantine isolation onboard this has been happening for years with norovirus without too many complaints so we may have to accept it with covid as well for some time to come.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, lisiamc said:

I’m ok with testing, and would be happy to have routine testing at the dock for all, “free” again if possible, although I’m sure they would build that charge into the new fares if they went back to not charging. What I hate is the stress of counting backwards on my fingers to figure out where/when/which kind of test, how to arrange it and whether it covers all the requirements.

I agree the testing is a bit stressful, not least because that creates the risk of not even getting on the ship in the first place. You have a fair point that maybe testing should be included within the fare, given that such draconian onboard policies exist. It might also improve the quality and accuracy of the testing.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Riocca said:

Went into hospital for a hip injection in February and had to do a PCR test and isolate for 3 days before hand, going for another in August all that’s required now is a self administered lateral flow test reported to the NHS before attending hospital. I could see this might be a way forward, does rely on a degree of honesty but one would hope that most passengers would adhere to the rules.

As regards quarantine isolation onboard this has been happening for years with norovirus without too many complaints so we may have to accept it with covid as well for some time to come.

I've never had norovirus onboard a cruise ship but I'm not sure it's a good analogy with Covid. Do cruise lines order you to stay in your cabin or just advise you to? Moreover this illness is generally over in a couple of days and if you have it, you might not wish to leave your cabin anyway! With Covid, you may have few if any symptoms, feel well enough to go about your business, but still be restricted to your cabin, and typically it will be for many, many more days, most likely the vast majority of your cruise. I'm not sure it would be accepted without too many complaints if it were commonplace. It would certainly make me re-consider whether cruises were a sensible option. It's a very tricky issue for cruise lines, no obvious solutions.

Edited by federalexpress
spelling

I think if they pulled back the quarantine to “until symptoms cease” which is basically what it is with Noro that would be proportionate and fair. That’s the “rules” on land. Cruise ships need to be able to move to that position. 
We can now support our family with our baby granddaughter who is in and out of hospital and bubbles all the time so long as we have a negative self administered antigen - a big relaxation of the rules and very welcome 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, federalexpress said:

I've never had norovirus onboard a cruise ship but I'm not sure it's a good analogy with Covid. Do cruise lines order you to stay in your cabin or just advise you to? Moreover this illness is generally over in a couple of days and if you have it, you might not wish to leave your cabin anyway! With Covid, you may have few if any symptoms, feel well enough to go about your business, but still be restricted to your cabin, and typically it will be for many, many more days, most likely the vast majority of your cruise. I'm not sure it would be accepted without too many complaints if it were commonplace. It would certainly make me re-consider whether cruises were a sensible option. It's a very tricky issue for cruise lines, no obvious solutions.

A friend was forced to isolate in cabin because her child had diarrhea. This was on Royal Caribbean ( pre-covid).

6 hours ago, uktog said:

I think if they pulled back the quarantine to “until symptoms cease” which is basically what it is with Noro that would be proportionate and fair. That’s the “rules” on land. Cruise ships need to be able to move to that position. 
We can now support our family with our baby granddaughter who is in and out of hospital and bubbles all the time so long as we have a negative self administered antigen - a big relaxation of the rules and very welcome 

Yep that would probably be as good as it gets, although I've found it can behave oddly enough to be never quite sure when that point is. I had Omicron a couple of weeks ago. Very rough for a few hours in the morning and went back to bed, but by lunchtime the same day, I felt fine. Next morning I had a hacking cough but that lasted 1 hour, then went away. Then just a head cold, runny nose, a bit of sneezing. But that came and went so I'm not sure how I'd have handled it onboard. In the end, those symptoms lasted a week, albeit I reckon some people might not even have noticed on most of those days.

I'd personally be happy with a much more relaxed approach, given it does not appear to be a serious threat to me, but I'm conscious that is not true for all.

11 minutes ago, yogagal47 said:

A friend was forced to isolate in cabin because her child had diarrhea. This was on Royal Caribbean ( pre-covid).

Interesting. I imagine that would also be the case if your other half had it. But I assume it was only for a couple of days, because it normally clears by then, whereas at the moment with Covid, you might be looking at the best part of 2 weeks before you test negative and they let you out. I'm not sure whether they allow you to keep your own cabin with Norovirus, but I've heard stories about people being shifted out of a balcony cabin or suite and put in an inside cabin, alone, for almost 2 weeks. That is what would concern me a lot.

48 minutes ago, yogagal47 said:

My husband had a tummy upset on Azamara & asked the medics for help. He was isolated in his cabin until the symptoms had stopped for 24 hours. He could order room service, but they would only serve him food on the medically approved list- plain chicken, plain potatoes, consommé soup & jelly. I decided to stay with him and could have anything I liked from room service.

• Like 1