Ultimate Ship's Tour - Still Offered?

onefine89

Say ..... have searched through the threads and unable to find any information about the Ultimate Ship's Tour that use to be offered on various ships!

Interested in the Sky or Enchanted Princess for a Trans-Atlantic Passage in the future.  Any info is appreciated.

3 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

To the best of my knowledge this has yet to be reinstated.  We've done it on a couple of cruise lines.  It's a very interesting tour, although as with most things related to cruising I feel it is way overpriced.

I felt the price was justified by the swag.

• Like 2

I have no use for a photo, notebook, cookbook, or a robe. I never wear robes. I would have liked to do the tour in the past but the cost was too high since I don't value the swag. Now I couldn't do the tour even if it was free. I can't walk or stand for that long. Poop.

We did not get a cookbook on our tour, but we already have plenty of them from the Chef's Table. Our swag included an apron, stationery, picture frame and photos, and the robe. We did it on a cruise where we had a lot of onboard credit and drove to the port.

Doesn't look like this special tour is available at this time with the responses received ......... guess better to use $$$ towards corkage fees for extra bottles of wine brought on at embarkation!

17 hours ago, Tonsoffun44 said:

what swag? 

When we did the UST, we each got a heavy-duty robe (IIRC sold in the store for $75 each), framed photo of our group w/the captain on the bridge, chef's apron, large tablet (6" X 9") plus champagne and choc. covered strawberries in the chapel. I think there were a couple of other items, but its been a while since we did it. I thought it was well worth the $150 and we used OBC, so really cost us nothing.

If you fly and do the UST (when it restarts), be prepared to pack all that stuff. The robes alone weigh 2+ pounds each.

BTW: the cookbook others mentioned is usually given at the Chef's Table.

Edited by JF - retired RRT
  • Like 3

On 6/25/2022 at 4:18 PM, Tonsoffun44 said:

what swag? 

Bathrobe, Chef’s jacket, picture on the bridge with the captain, personalized note paper and more (when we took it years ago)

• Like 1

On 6/25/2022 at 6:02 PM, Thrak said:

I have no use for a photo, notebook, cookbook, or a robe. I never wear robes. I would have liked to do the tour in the past but the cost was too high since I don't value the swag. Now I couldn't do the tour even if it was free. I can't walk or stand for that long. Poop.

I used the bathrobes each as the main item in a “Spa Basket” I donated to a charity auction.  Did the same for cookbook in a “Cook’s Basket”.  We drove to port so that helped. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, onefine89 said:

Doesn't look like this special tour is available at this time with the responses received ......... guess better to use $$$ towards corkage fees for extra bottles of wine brought on at embarkation!

It probably still isn't.. due to covid.  But it was never publicized.  One had to sign up on the ship.  I don't recall that it was ever described online.

3 hours ago, Redwing55 said:

I don't recall that it was ever described online.

It would be in the Patter. (Never available to book (or learn about) pre-cruise.

But those in the know (such as Cruise Critic readers) know to sign up for it at the Customer Service desk before they read about it in the Patter. (once it starts up again)

On 6/25/2022 at 12:54 PM, Rick&Jeannie said:

To the best of my knowledge this has yet to be reinstated.  We've done it on a couple of cruise lines.  It's a very interesting tour, although as with most things related to cruising I feel it is way overpriced.

Most posts on Cruise Critic have said it was well worth the price.

We have done it on several Princess ships as well as on other cruise lines and always found it worth the cost for this special look at what happens behind the public areas of the ship.

We have also found the the Princess UST can be a better experience than on some other cruise lines. On Princess the UST is only held once per cruise and is thus also special to the crew that the tour interacts with. They are very happy to explain what goes on in their areas.

On at least one other line, their equivalent was offered multiple times a day on multiple days. Since it was happening so often, it was not special to the crew who often acted both bored with having to do it over and over and annoyed that their routine was being interrupted again and again.

We have spent more $$$ on some cruise line shore excursions that delivered less of an experience than the UST. We just consider the UST a shore excursion that takes place on the ship.

• Like 2

Agreed, the swag is just a bonus.  Visiting the bridge, medical (see the morgue), backstage, fo'c'sl, laundry, engine control room, stores, galley, print shop, and photo shop are more than worth the price.  DW can't walk much or stand very long either, but this tour is very accommodating to her.  Think of it as just another excursion.

Just watching the sheet folding machine in the laundry is worth the price.  Hope it comes back soon!

• Like 3

Waaay over priced unless you consider getting a notebook, cookbook, writing paper or a robe as being that valuable. We've got numerous robes that fit much better so it's not something we need.

We've also seen many of the bridges on all the different class ships, so nothing new there.

When they begin a tour of the engine room it's something that might make my DH sign up but the rest of the stuff is something worthless stuff to us.

There are still many people who will pay the price once it begins again.  

11 hours ago, sunnygidget said:

My husband is really tall so the robe didn't cover the way it should.  But.....they let us exchange it for a jacket in the onboard store.  Love that jacket.

What a great idea. Never thought of that. I'm the only one who wears a robe, DH doesn't bother. I bought extra long zippers on Amazon (43"?) and installed in the robes. Hate sash ties.