First ever cruise this August

Belfast1916

Hi we are booked on the Celebrity Equniox Caribbean cruise and since it's our very first cruise we would really appreciate some advise.

We have booked (travelling from Ireland) The classic Always Included, however, we saw a YouTube video and it showed the drinks menu

from all the bars (December 2021) and most of the cocktails were over $9.  Is this the case and should we upgrade to the premium drinks package before we board?

1 hour ago, Belfast1916 said:

and most of the cocktails were over $9.  Is this the case and should we upgrade to the premium drinks package before we board?

The Classic limit is now $11 and the Premium is $18. 

1D772954-CE59-4E62-8CED-5331A5EA5313.thumb.jpeg.cbe14d14347beb60b88e0d9af82d2e35.jpeg

• Like 1

Hi we are booked on the Celebrity Equniox Caribbean cruise and since it's our very first cruise we would really appreciate some advise.

We have booked (travelling from Ireland) The classic Always Included, however, we saw a YouTube video and it showed the drinks menu

from all the bars (December 2021) and most of the cocktails were over $9.  Is this the case and should we upgrade to the premium drinks package before we board?

Welcome to Celebrity and to cruising! The first time I took a cruise I thought "never again," but I gave it a second chance and I'm hooked! It's all about your interests, your expectations, and finding your own best experience.

As for drink packages, review what's covered under Classic (shared above). You might be fine with the choices available. If you like higher end spirits and wine, you might want to upgrade.  Unless there is a great sale on upgrades, I wait until I'm on board. You also might want to wait until you're on board and can see the selection available as I've heard some supply issues have impacted what's available. I usually head to the Martini Bar and upgrade with them. They get credit for that.

There will be people everywhere trying to get you to upgrade your drink package, buy specialty dining, on and on. Smile nicely and move on. Once on board, anyone can help you. You choose.

Happy to answer any questions I can. Hope you have a wonderful vacation.

Julie

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, upwarduk said:

1D772954-CE59-4E62-8CED-5331A5EA5313.thumb.jpeg.cbe14d14347beb60b88e0d9af82d2e35.jpeg

The $11 and $18 limits are only for cruises sailing from Southampton ( and I think Australia) as the gratuity must to shown in the price of a drink.

Sailing from other places, like the OPs  Caribbean cruise, the $9 and $15 limits are correct.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Buckeye94 said:

As for drink packages, review what's covered under Classic (shared above). You might be fine with the choices available. If you like higher end spirits and wine, you might want to upgrade.  Unless there is a great sale on upgrades, I wait until I'm on board. You also might want to wait until you're on board and can see the selection available as I've heard some supply issues have impacted what's available. I usually head to the Martini Bar and upgrade with them. They get credit for that.

That is all very sound advice. 

1 hour ago, Buckeye94 said:

Welcome to Celebrity and to cruising! The first time I took a cruise I thought "never again," but I gave it a second chance and I'm hooked! It's all about your interests, your expectations, and finding your own best experience.

There will be people everywhere trying to get you to upgrade your drink package, buy specialty dining, on and on. Smile nicely and move on. Once on board, anyone can help you. You choose.

Happy to answer any questions I can. Hope you have a wonderful vacation.

Julie

We have done mostly NCL the last few years but have been on 4 Celebrity cruises a few years ago...I dont remember Bombay Sapphire and Guiness being on the premium package?? We have 2 booked on Eclipse the next few months and would rather not have to upgrade 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Belfast1916 said:

The crucial bit is when or if you order a drink over the $9 price you  only pay the difference not the full amount. Wait until you are no board, see what you drink and only upgrade if it makes sense.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Belfast1916 said:

We had our first ever cruise in 2019 thinking we wouldn’t enjoy it but wanted to do something different for our wedding anniversary. Loved it and despite covid we will be doing our 4th cruise on the equinox late August doing the southern Caribbean.   On the drinks package, stick to beer, my husband does and he is trying to break a record 😁

Edited by C4HCG
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

We've never had an issue staying in the "classic" package with our drinks. Occasionally, if you want something that's more expensive, you just pay the difference if they choose to charge you.  We always just imply..."whatever works for the Classic"...and they will usually make something that is covered. The bartenders typically will work with you.  Sometimes, there are higher end drinks and wine that are higher priced...and the martini bar, etc. 

• Thanks 1

I like to have the premium package because I don’t want to think about drink prices all week. I just want to drink what I like. If that mental relaxation costs more money upfront, it’s worth it to me. 

Some great advise - thank you everone.  One more short questions - If we pay the difference for a more expensive drink will we be charge extra gratitudes? 🙂

Yes. You'll pay the difference plus gratuity on the difference.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

image.thumb.jpeg.1789ddcf5eec2cfc73256996195f47b3.jpegHi we have just put in a cheeky bid (lowest £) on a couple or staterooms, hoping 🤞we get a veranda stateroom on our sailing on 21st August.  I am linked to another room - my children's (early 20's) room - however, when I go to put a bid in for their room it keeps telling me I have already put a bid in. 

Do any of you know if the bid will be for the 2 rooms i.e. bid on both staterooms for veranda?

I know I could have booked two veranda staterooms when booking the cruise, but trying to save some ££.

What are your experiences on bidding for room upgrades on Celebrity?

Also, we are travelling on the 21st August, do you think the ship will be fully booked? and do you have any advise fsor us? 

I'm so glad your first cruise will be on the Equinox!  It's a great ship with lots to offer! 

There is currently a sale for pre-cruise purchases, including beverage package upgrade on the Celebrity website.   You may want to check that out while you are considering an upgrade.  

The Premium package works for us because my DH love Jack Daniels and we both love the Martini Bar and World Class bar.  Their drink prices often exceed the Classic limit.  

One little hint if you do upgrade (either online pre-cruise or onboard ship):  Specify what liquor you want in your drink or they will give you the call brand.  Example:  Vodka and soda with lime...I will ask for Belvedere when they would otherwise give me Absolut.  

Hope this helps. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

I may be wrong, but i don't believe a bid can translate to 2 rooms.

Ok, I will try and contact Celebrity by email to get clarification - strange I can't put a bid in for the two rooms even when I sign in as my Son!!

If you are someone who has strong preferences for brands of alcohol on the Premium list or if you have a sensitive palette when it comes to wine...then the premium package is for you. But if you like a regular cocktail and don't really care what brand it is... then the classic package will do and if you want to try a more expensive drink..you just pay the difference vs classic max..plus gratuity. My husband had no trouble getting regular vodka martinis and manhattans on the classic package. My drink before dinner is Kir Royale...which is Sparkling white wine and creme de Cassis. 

• Like 1

I’m super picky on wines and other half only drinks IPA beers, nothing else. Well except the martini bar. Need a premium plan to cover any of those. Separately it’s nice not worrying about how expensive a tab might run. Easier to just plan for it and forget about it. 

On 6/26/2022 at 1:34 PM, upwarduk said:

Can you tell me where you saw $11 instead of $9... I only find the $9 price which we experienced last cruise in early May

We just got off the Summit Sunday, was on the Equinox in January and the Edge in March.  There is no way to know what they will have and not have right now.  I like bourbon and they had Buffalo Trace until it was gone then Makers Mark, only.  In the shops under the bourbon sign there were no bottles.  To be honest, I cannot believe they do not have Woodford Reserve.  My advice is to pay the difference if cost is a concern on what you are getting, I would bet the math is all about the same in the end.  I bring my own bottles of wine onboard now and Celebrity recently increased the number you can from 2 per stateroom to 2 per person.  Best of luck.